Conditioning

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
flying_scotsman2.0

Conditioning

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 15th, 2022, 11:37 pm

Does our team not look just burned out in the second half in games? It seems the complete opposite of what we've seen in football. In football we won games in the fourth quarter after we'd worn the other team out. It seems like we are always burned out in basketball, however. Now, I have no idea what our conditioning regime is, or if the other teams are just that much more athletic, but that's my observation.

Aggiebigtime

Re: Conditioning

Post by Aggiebigtime » March 15th, 2022, 11:43 pm

It also looks like we have no weight training program. It was obvious tonight and at the MWC tourney that the other team’s players look more muscular and cut. This isn’t something that just happened; it goes back before Stew.
These users thanked the author Aggiebigtime for the post:
Intermeddler

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 15th, 2022, 11:47 pm

Aggiebigtime wrote:
March 15th, 2022, 11:43 pm
It also looks like we have no weight training program. It was obvious tonight and at the MWC tourney that the other team’s players look more muscular and cut. This isn’t something that just happened; it goes back before Stew.
This has been an issue for me for awhile too. Look at Bairstow. Guy has been here 3 years and looks like the day he arrived. I don’t expect bodybuilders or football player physiques but our guys look like they run cross country. It shouldn’t be a surprise Bairstow can’t finish through even minimal contact.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 15th, 2022, 11:53 pm

It looked like men against boys out there tonight. Same thing we saw against Texas Tech and Washington. We have to get these guys some bulk.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
Intermeddler

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » March 16th, 2022, 8:38 am

You mean to tell me the church ball, dad-bod look isn't instilling confidence?
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 2):
ineptimusprimeFloridaAggie13

Go Aggies!

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » March 16th, 2022, 8:59 am

Aggie19 wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 8:38 am
You mean to tell me the church ball, dad-bod look isn't instilling confidence?
hey i resemble that comment!!
These users thanked the author tipitup for the post:
Aggie19

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 16th, 2022, 9:01 am

Intermeddler wrote:
March 15th, 2022, 11:47 pm
Aggiebigtime wrote:
This has been an issue for me for awhile too. Look at Bairstow. Guy has been here 3 years and looks like the day he arrived. I don’t expect bodybuilders or football player physiques but our guys look like they run cross country. It shouldn’t be a surprise Bairstow can’t finish through even minimal contact.
All the guys would benefit, but guys like Bairstow and Zee would benefit sooo much from 10-15 more pounds of muscle.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » March 16th, 2022, 9:11 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
Aggiebigtime wrote:
All the guys would benefit, but guys like Bairstow and Zee would benefit sooo much from 10-15 more pounds of muscle.
All the guys looked tired last night. You’d think we had sat for 2 weeks then got a call that said hey, want to go play one more game. Not that we had just finished our last game Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GUS

Post by GUS » March 16th, 2022, 9:29 am

I wondered why they were so tired. The Aggies were all bent over grabbing their shorts while the Ducks looked fresh a ready to play.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 16th, 2022, 10:06 am

We're in serious need of a good strength trainer (e.g., Alan Bishop) and nutritionist for our basketball players. Our biggest guys this past season were Shulga, Bean, and Dorius. Everyone else was super skinny/scrawny. ER had some size but not in a good way. We need guys that are built like Marco Anthony, Rollie Worster, Neemias Queta, Alphonso Anderson, Kulbey McEwen, Dwayne Brown, Quinn Taylor, Julion Perre, Spencer Butterfield, Jordan Stone, and Tai Wesley.
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » March 16th, 2022, 10:15 am

In the first half, I heard coach telling the players to push it hard. He kept commenting on how Oregon looked like they were jogging down and that we need to push it harder. I honestly think our players were gassed by the second half and didn't have the energy to keep up anymore.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 16th, 2022, 10:24 am

Dkdavis wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 10:15 am
In the first half, I heard coach telling the players to push it hard. He kept commenting on how Oregon looked like they were jogging down and that we need to push it harder. I honestly think our players were gassed by the second half and didn't have the energy to keep up anymore.
Did we run with Horvath and Bean the whole game? I don't remember either subbing out.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 16th, 2022, 1:08 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
We basically only use seven players with Shulga and Ashworth off the bench. Zee saw some minutes but he's a turnover waiting to happen. That's why they're gassed.

I honestly think if we could have held a 10-12 pt lead at halftime, Oregon might have folded the tent. Their first half defense was really lazy and that's why Odom wanted them to push the ball and maybe build a lead that sucks the life out of them.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » March 16th, 2022, 1:14 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 9:01 am
Intermeddler wrote:
Aggiebigtime wrote:
Are you talking about the Zee on our team? He is what? A buck 25? He could stand to put on WAY more than 10 or 15 pounds.

Maybe in the case of Bairstow and Zee we just need to get them married. I weighed 155 when I got married, 6 months later I was at 205.

FeartheFro

Conditioning

Post by FeartheFro » March 16th, 2022, 1:17 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Dkdavis wrote:
We basically only use seven players with Shulga and Ashworth off the bench. Zee saw some minutes but he's a turnover waiting to happen. That's why they're gassed.

I honestly think if we could have held a 10-12 pt lead at halftime, Oregon might have folded the tent. Their first half defense was really lazy and that's why Odom wanted them to push the ball and maybe build a lead that sucks the life out of them.
First 5 minutes of second half were the most critical minutes, as you pointed out I don’t think it would have taken much to get them to shut it down. Unfortunately it did not go our way.

Last edited by FeartheFro on March 16th, 2022, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SLB

Post by SLB » March 16th, 2022, 1:20 pm

It is noticeable, and I noticed as the season went on that Shulga got more muscle mass which is something to watch for next season.

bill.george
Has thanked: 0

Post by bill.george » March 16th, 2022, 1:22 pm

The offense we run requires a lot of motion. No one stands around while someone clears out a side for some one on one dribble drive play. I am not advocating we do that, just saying we best people by being in motion. The second half we got completely out coached. The two turnovers that resulted from passes going into the back court were good examples. It was a demoralizing second half and we should finished the first half up 43-33.
Going forward, if we don’t recruit some serious talent I am worried that the good times might be over for awhile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » March 16th, 2022, 1:50 pm

bill.george wrote:The offense we run requires a lot of motion. No one stands around while someone clears out a side for some one on one dribble drive play. I am not advocating we do that, just saying we best people by being in motion. The second half we got completely out coached. The two turnovers that resulted from passes going into the back court were good examples. It was a demoralizing second half and we should finished the first half up 43-33.
Going forward, if we don’t recruit some serious talent I am worried that the good times might be over for awhile.

We have forgotten what running around looks like. Jaycee “ran around”. No one in this team comes close to running around like him. He would run and come off 5 picks before getting an inch of daylight, and that’s all he needed. As good if a scorer that I have watched live that couldn’t create his own shot. He had a motor that did not quit.

aggieborn

Post by aggieborn » March 16th, 2022, 1:57 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 1:50 pm
bill.george wrote:The offense we run requires a lot of motion. No one stands around while someone clears out a side for some one on one dribble drive play. I am not advocating we do that, just saying we best people by being in motion. The second half we got completely out coached. The two turnovers that resulted from passes going into the back court were good examples. It was a demoralizing second half and we should finished the first half up 43-33.

We have forgotten what running around looks like. Jaycee “ran around”. No one in this team comes close to running around like him. He would run and come off 5 picks before getting an inch of daylight, and that’s all he needed. As good if a scorer that I have watched live that couldn’t create his own shot. He had a motor that did not quit.

Sam Merrill played every minute of the MW tourney and had maybe the greatest tournament in league history. I believe he played every minute of the CSU game plus OT when he had a career high. There’s a trend of great Aggies being in great shape and this years team appeared to be in bad shape.

Aggiefan160

Post by Aggiefan160 » March 16th, 2022, 2:32 pm

aggieborn wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 1:57 pm
FeartheFro wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 1:50 pm

Sam Merrill played every minute of the MW tourney and had maybe the greatest tournament in league history. I believe he played every minute of the CSU game plus OT when he had a career high. There’s a trend of great Aggies being in great shape and this years team appeared to be in bad shape.
I also think those two have some of the best work ethic I've heard of among USU basketball players. Self-motivated to put in significant extra work.

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » March 16th, 2022, 6:39 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 10:24 am
Dkdavis wrote:
Did we run with Horvath and Bean the whole game? I don't remember either subbing out.
I know for sure Horvath sat some. Can't remember if Bean did.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 16th, 2022, 7:01 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 6:39 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 10:24 am
Dkdavis wrote:
I know for sure Horvath sat some. Can't remember if Bean did.
Box shows Horvath with 34 minutes, Bean with 39.

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » March 16th, 2022, 7:34 pm

Horvath came out mid 2nd half when he appeared to hurt his hand. Then he and Bean sat at last ovation.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » March 16th, 2022, 8:09 pm

SLB wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 1:20 pm
It is noticeable, and I noticed as the season went on that Shulga got more muscle mass which is something to watch for next season.
I mean, this thing is getting stranger by the minute.
These users thanked the author Blitz79 for the post (total 5):
FloridaAggie13Aggie formerly in HawaiiapoAggiePTIntermeddler

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 16th, 2022, 8:28 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 8:09 pm
SLB wrote:
I'm glad someone else said it first. That was borderline creepy. :shock:

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » March 16th, 2022, 8:48 pm

Unfortunately I would probably be higher on Shulga if it weren’t for weird and frequent posts about him, his potential, his amazing plays, etc. A tiny part of me almost wants Shulga to fail so I don’t come across another Star Wars meme about someone calling it before “everyone” else.
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post (total 3):
hipsterdoofus21smfdaggieIntermeddler

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 16th, 2022, 10:55 pm

SLB wrote:
I’ll be right there with you next season just eyeing Shulga’s thighs and biceps. ;) :wtf: :lol:
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13aggieborn

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » March 17th, 2022, 6:55 am

It looks like Alan Bishop gets paid about $140,000 a year at Houston. Any chance we could find the money to bring him back?
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 17th, 2022, 7:59 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 16th, 2022, 8:28 pm
Blitz79 wrote:
SLB wrote:
Must be spring. Love is in the air.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13smfdaggie

SLB

Post by SLB » March 17th, 2022, 9:15 am

Bank Shot wrote:
March 17th, 2022, 7:59 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Blitz79 wrote:
SLB wrote:
I actually watch Aggie basketball, and it seems you guys missed the season. Shulga would run of gas early in the season with no definition of muscles to handling more minutes without running out of gas and more definition of muscles. It was pretty clear that the conditioning at the start of the season was not good, and Shulga seemed to be the one who changed the most on conditioning. I hope that he keeps working on it since we need him next season.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » March 17th, 2022, 9:21 am

SLB wrote:
Bank Shot wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Blitz79 wrote:
SLB wrote:
I actually watch Aggie basketball, and it seems you guys missed the season. Shulga would run of gas early in the season with no definition of muscles to handling more minutes without running out of gas and more definition of muscles. It was pretty clear that the conditioning at the start of the season was not good, and Shulga seemed to be the one who changed the most on conditioning. I hope that he keeps working on it since we need him next season.
I don’t think anyone is against you personally I think people are just tired of having shulga infused into literally every thread. We understand you like shulga but the way you carry on about him is borderline obsession. Need to just pin it back a bit.

But you do you.

These users thanked the author Usu0505 for the post:
smfdaggie

smfdaggie

Post by smfdaggie » March 17th, 2022, 9:22 am

SLB, you may want to stop posting on this thread. :nono:

SLB

Post by SLB » March 17th, 2022, 9:25 am

Usu0505 wrote:
March 17th, 2022, 9:21 am
SLB wrote:
Bank Shot wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Blitz79 wrote:
SLB wrote:
I don’t think anyone is against you personally I think people are just tired of having shulga infused into literally every thread. We understand you like shulga but the way you carry on about him is borderline obsession. Need to just pin it back a bit.

But you do you.

People want it, and they got it. Shulga was a good individual as an example of our conditioning because he was gassed after limited minutes early in the season then the last game went 22 minutes not gassed.

SLB

Post by SLB » March 17th, 2022, 9:27 am

smfdaggie wrote:
March 17th, 2022, 9:22 am
You are one that should consider leaving this thread because you take everything too serious.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 17th, 2022, 9:48 am

SLB wrote:
March 17th, 2022, 9:27 am
smfdaggie wrote:
March 17th, 2022, 9:22 am
You are one that should consider leaving this thread because you take everything too serious.
When you step in the cow pie, don't blame the cow,
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
smfdaggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic