The hopefully definitive 2021 transfer portal thread

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
LoveMyAggies

Re: The hopefully definitive 2021 transfer portal thread

Post by LoveMyAggies » May 7th, 2021, 11:43 am

Maybe to answer my own question that slasher shooter could be Bairstow??

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 7th, 2021, 12:01 pm

Aglicious wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 11:34 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 11:12 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:36 am
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:33 am
I don't know that Jones will start over Ashworth. Either way, I like Ashworth's game and I hope he stays and develops. I'm also wondering if they run E-R at the point depending on the matchup with Shulga at the 2 and McBuckets at the 3 since I'm still holding out hope that he is going to be ELITE.
Ain't no time for McBuckets, gents. I just don't see where he plays.
At the 3 over Miller :rock:
From your lips to god's ears....
I want to know what drugs you guys are taking that make you think: (1) Miller isn’t a good, useful player; and (2) why you think the guy getting blown down old main hill at a moment’s light breeze is ever going to play over Miller.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 7th, 2021, 12:03 pm

LoveMyAggies wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 11:42 am
IMHO, I think you try to recruit over some of the Forwards left in the program with a Juco C, or international player .. and may not happen this off-season. Also, the team needs an aggressive attacking wing/combo guard. 6'4-6'8 range who can defend and drive with the ball.

Any extra added player at this point should be a ball, handler/3-point shooter.

Can Odom recruit over the players who never really contributed last year??
He can, but it doesn’t sound like he’s going to.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » May 7th, 2021, 12:04 pm

Lots of young inexperienced guys on the team. It's better for Odom to see what he has first.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » May 7th, 2021, 12:49 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 12:01 pm
Aglicious wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 11:34 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 11:12 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:36 am
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
I don't know that Jones will start over Ashworth. Either way, I like Ashworth's game and I hope he stays and develops. I'm also wondering if they run E-R at the point depending on the matchup with Shulga at the 2 and McBuckets at the 3 since I'm still holding out hope that he is going to be ELITE.
Ain't no time for McBuckets, gents. I just don't see where he plays.
At the 3 over Miller :rock:
From your lips to god's ears....
I want to know what drugs you guys are taking that make you think: (1) Miller isn’t a good, useful player; and (2) why you think the guy getting blown down old main hill at a moment’s light breeze is ever going to play over Miller.
Meant more as a comment that if this were to happen then it would reflect that Liam was worthy and had earned the spot. It would also mean he is better than Miller, giving us an upgrade at that spot. Not meant as an insult to Miller.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » May 7th, 2021, 12:49 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:31 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:21 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:16 am
I wonder if Jones joining will have any ripple effect down the roster. He’s likely taking PT from someone, so hopefully everyone is cool with it! Likely suspects would be Ashworth and Shulga, so hopefully they are on board!
As was argued at great length in the Jason Shelley threads, Jones won't be coming to USU to sit on the bench. This has potential to lead to someone transferring with Jones having 3 years left.
Yeah, I agree. I just hope it isn't Ashworth, because I really like his game and want him to stick around. I still see a ton of PT for Ashworth. With the additions and starting spots now likely settled, I don't know how tempting we will be to the denizens of the transfer portal. It would be really tough to replace Ashworth with a comparable player if he did decide to jet.
Completely agree. I am all in on upgrading at PG but I may be one of the few that feels that Ashworth has very good upside. I hope we get 4 years out of him.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post:
slcagg

cval

Post by cval » May 7th, 2021, 1:08 pm

I don't get the sense that Ashworth is a guy who would be afraid of competing for PT. Prove you are worthy of it and it will come. I don't see him running because of another guy who wants the same.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 7th, 2021, 1:49 pm

Rylan Jones has officially hit the transfer portal.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
slcagg3rdGenAggieBLUERUFiO

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 7th, 2021, 1:53 pm

LoveMyAggies wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 11:43 am
I'd like to see Bairstow used differently. Odom needs to play him off the ball way more than Smith did. He should do some spot up shooting and slashing without the ball. His handling just isn't good enough to set others up or play in isolation.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
nswaggieAggie84025

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 7th, 2021, 1:55 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 1:49 pm
Rylan Jones has officially hit the transfer portal.
Where? Where? I’ve been waiting since last night! 😁

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » May 7th, 2021, 2:24 pm

gomretat wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 12:49 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
I wonder if Jones joining will have any ripple effect down the roster. He’s likely taking PT from someone, so hopefully everyone is cool with it! Likely suspects would be Ashworth and Shulga, so hopefully they are on board!
As was argued at great length in the Jason Shelley threads, Jones won't be coming to USU to sit on the bench. This has potential to lead to someone transferring with Jones having 3 years left.
Yeah, I agree. I just hope it isn't Ashworth, because I really like his game and want him to stick around. I still see a ton of PT for Ashworth. With the additions and starting spots now likely settled, I don't know how tempting we will be to the denizens of the transfer portal. It would be really tough to replace Ashworth with a comparable player if he did decide to jet.
Completely agree. I am all in on upgrading at PG but I may be one of the few that feels that Ashworth has very good upside. I hope we get 4 years out of him.
I dig Ashworth...he's a great kid and player. I believe he'll make great strides between his first and second years, and he wasn't bad at all as a Freshman, in my opinion.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post (total 7):
gomretatAggie84025utaggiescvalAggieArmyReal Life AggieMetsJetsAggies

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 7th, 2021, 2:31 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Ashworth was always going to be the one that was affected by playing time if we brought in another point guard (which we for sure needed to). I don't know how effective Ashworth and Jones on the same court will be especially given their size/strength. Ashworth still has a 15 or so minute spot on the team. It should be similar to last year's role.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 7th, 2021, 2:33 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:52 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:28 am
Honestly, with looking at where we were a few months ago, I think we've come out ahead. I don't know who else Smith would've added, but if you simply look at Worster & Anthony. I'd absolutely take the trade of Worster & Anthony for Eytle Rock, Horvath, & Rylan Jones.
Yep. We didn't land some "big splash" transfer, but even with my reservations Jones has major upside and Eytle-Rock and Horvath were all conference players on a 1st place team last year. I think some people are just taking them for granted because they are Odom's guys. If Odom landed two all conference players from the Big Sky or WCC, people would be complimenting him on for being a great portal recruiter.
Rylan is a 4* guy that is coming from a P5 school. If he was coming from North Carolina or Kansas I think everyone would be $hitting themselves. I think that our familiarity with him having been from Cache Valley and now coming from utah has kind of lessened the excitement level that should be following a player that has the impact potential that Rylan has.
Thanks aggies 22. Any word on his health, I know he was injured in March? Just wondering to see how that is progressing and if he is expecting to be 100% by the time the season rolls on.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 7th, 2021, 2:40 pm

LoveMyAggies wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 11:42 am
IMHO, I think you try to recruit over some of the Forwards left in the program with a Juco C, or international player .. and may not happen this off-season. Also, the team needs an aggressive attacking wing/combo guard. 6'4-6'8 range who can defend and drive with the ball.

Any extra added player at this point should be a ball, handler/3-point shooter.

Can Odom recruit over the players who never really contributed last year??
He certainly could, but I doubt he will. He has made it very clear in interviews that he is giving everyone on the team the benefit of the doubt based on prior playing time, success etc. Not saying it is right, but I do respect that he is coming in with a clean slate and wants to see what he has with current players before counseling them out etc.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 7th, 2021, 2:46 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:52 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:28 am
Honestly, with looking at where we were a few months ago, I think we've come out ahead. I don't know who else Smith would've added, but if you simply look at Worster & Anthony. I'd absolutely take the trade of Worster & Anthony for Eytle Rock, Horvath, & Rylan Jones.
Yep. We didn't land some "big splash" transfer, but even with my reservations Jones has major upside and Eytle-Rock and Horvath were all conference players on a 1st place team last year. I think some people are just taking them for granted because they are Odom's guys. If Odom landed two all conference players from the Big Sky or WCC, people would be complimenting him on for being a great portal recruiter.
Rylan is a 4* guy that is coming from a P5 school. If he was coming from North Carolina or Kansas I think everyone would be $hitting themselves. I think that our familiarity with him having been from Cache Valley and now coming from utah has kind of lessened the excitement level that should be following a player that has the impact potential that Rylan has.
Possibly, but Utah is nowhere near Kansas or North Carolina. Utah has been a below average program for a long time. To put it in perspective in the last 16 years they have made the NCAA tournament the same amount of time as Craig Smith did the last 3 years at USU. Hopefully last year was an aberration for Jones.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » May 7th, 2021, 3:16 pm

LoveMyAggies wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 11:43 am
He could be IF he could slash and IF he could shoot.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 7th, 2021, 3:27 pm

What a difference 2 days makes.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkhipsterdoofus21

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » May 7th, 2021, 3:34 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 8:58 pm
I have watched jones play a lot. Someone said he is slow, I Disagree. One of his best qualities is his ability to change speeds. I am THRILLED if this rumor turns out to be true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I watched quite a few of his games as a freshman. Never once thought he was slow. I was only impressed with him. He’s a gamer and fearless. I’m happy to have him.

elcheque2

Post by elcheque2 » May 7th, 2021, 3:53 pm

Go watch Jones' 2019 game against BYU. He basically willed the Utes to victory and had a 25 point 6 assist stat line.

The dude is a baller when healthy.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author elcheque2 for the post:
AggieArmy

USUaggie

Post by USUaggie » May 7th, 2021, 4:01 pm

How tall is he?

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » May 7th, 2021, 4:14 pm

USUaggie wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 4:01 pm
How tall is he?
Let's just say that he isn't going to help us in our bid to repeat as "tallest team in the Nation."

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » May 7th, 2021, 4:25 pm

sockpuppet wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 10:37 am
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 10:24 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 7:41 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:

It just feels weird to me that in a sport dominated by African Americans we don’t have a single one the entire roster.
It should feel weird. However it seems that most posting on this board are unwilling to discuss the real reasons behind that. It isn't Craig Smith's fault, like some say. The reasons are the beliefs of a large portion of the American right that are expressed every day in words and actions publicly that demean, insult, and hurt people of color. Young basketball players are aware of those things. All they have to do is use Google to find out that 66% of Cache County voters voted for Trump in 2020. That 58% of Utah voters voted for Trump in 2020. That fact alone should make any young black American basketball player very leery about coming to Logan, Utah, or to anywhere in the state of Utah except possibly Salt Lake County. That 83% of people in Cache County are white doesn't help either. Anyone who claims that those things don't have a huge influence on the decision of young black men in deciding where to play college basketball and get an education, are either lying or totally oblivious to the reality of life in the USA right now. And to expect young black men to overlook those things and come to Logan anyway, is foolish and unrealistic. Those facts, the politics and demographics, and they are facts, will be used by any program that can take advantage of them when recruiting against USU. And, it will work.
Politics and Trump votes are also why Kansas has such a hard time recruiting black kids. It's also why we have no black kids on the football team.

Not saying you're entirely wrong, but it's certainly not the only problem or even the biggest piece of the problem.
This is a completely acceptable response, unlike the loser that first responded to SSS. I don’t agree that voter support is the reason our basketball team was/is so white. But it’s not at all ridiculous to discuss that possibility.

Imagine you're an African American family on a recruiting visit to Logan that happens to coincide with one of the Friday night Trump parade rallies on Main Street and your first impression of Logan on your way to Old Main Hill is watching dozens of bearded White dudes in trucks and Japanese made sedans flying MAGA and Trump "F*** your feelings" flags...you might be a little put off. SSS is not wrong in that societal observation.
I have a number of work colleagues who are not native Utahns, and many not originally from America. For many of them, coming to Utah (lots of white people, and lots of Mormons) left them feeling tentative, and they weren't sure about the move. They took the opportunity, and practically all of them love it here. Utah's a great place, and their concerns about being around Mormons were unfounded (per their indication). Their children (some white non-Mormons, some Asian, some German) have experienced problems with being different, but they acknowledge that might happen anywhere. There's little crime here, a very family-focused view, and it's a well run state.

They don't want to bag on Utah, because they overwhelmingly like it here, but they've absolutely experienced cultural/racial issues. That's a reality.

Our recruits (whether reasonable or not) will compare their potential landing locations, which may or may not be a big factor. Marco came because of 1 reason: Coach Smith. The location didn't matter. For a lot of recruits, the school/conference/coach/success make it so nothing else matters. For some, they consider other stuff, and that may include profiling locations based on simple and potentially misleading data.

And I get it. I'm considering going back to school right now, and my decisions are based on impressions and little real info.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » May 7th, 2021, 4:56 pm

I think this subject might also be highlighted with the new transfer rules too. Look at Marcus Williams for Wyoming, goes and lights it up as a freshman, absolutely 0 chance he was sticking around Laramie after that. I don't want to generalize, but it might become tough to keep a successful Freshman or Sophomore around at MW level schools in general, let alone Utah State, but even moreso if they are not white and/or Mormon

Factor in being a black, non Mormon in an overwhelmingly white and Mormon community when you could transfer anywhere in the country after a good first year or 2 at USU? It will be incredibly tough to convince them to not take off to a power 5 school.

Does this mean we won't be able to recruit any black players at all? No, but I think I'd be more inclined to go after transfers or Jucos guys who will be less likely to want to leave after a year. It's just the reality of the situation, and I don't think anyone is really to blame specifically for it.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » May 7th, 2021, 5:38 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:I think this subject might also be highlighted with the new transfer rules too. Look at Marcus Williams for Wyoming, goes and lights it up as a freshman, absolutely 0 chance he was sticking around Laramie after that. I don't want to generalize, but it might become tough to keep a successful Freshman or Sophomore around at MW level schools in general, let alone Utah State, but even moreso if they are not white and/or Mormon

Factor in being a black, non Mormon in an overwhelmingly white and Mormon community when you could transfer anywhere in the country after a good first year or 2 at USU? It will be incredibly tough to convince them to not take off to a power 5 school.

Does this mean we won't be able to recruit any black players at all? No, but I think I'd be more inclined to go after transfers or Jucos guys who will be less likely to want to leave after a year. It's just the reality of the situation, and I don't think anyone is really to blame specifically for it.
How many black basketball players have we had here before the rule change that had a great two years and then stayed? Is it really a change

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 7th, 2021, 5:45 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 4:56 pm
I think this subject might also be highlighted with the new transfer rules too. Look at Marcus Williams for Wyoming, goes and lights it up as a freshman, absolutely 0 chance he was sticking around Laramie after that. I don't want to generalize, but it might become tough to keep a successful Freshman or Sophomore around at MW level schools in general, let alone Utah State, but even moreso if they are not white and/or Mormon

My ideal world would be for us to add talented black guys coming in from a big school that only have 2 years left & want to come for the opportunity to get playing time, have great coaches, play in front of a rabid fan base, and live in a safe town they can focus on basketball.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggieMetsJetsAggies

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 7th, 2021, 5:55 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 10:22 am
bigskysbro wrote:
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

It just feels weird to me that in a sport dominated by African Americans we don’t have a single one the entire roster.
It should feel weird. However it seems that most posting on this board are unwilling to discuss the real reasons behind that. It isn't Craig Smith's fault, like some say. The reasons are the beliefs of a large portion of the American right that are expressed every day in words and actions publicly that demean, insult, and hurt people of color. Young basketball players are aware of those things. All they have to do is use Google to find out that 66% of Cache County voters voted for Trump in 2020. That 58% of Utah voters voted for Trump in 2020. That fact alone should make any young black American basketball player very leery about coming to Logan, Utah, or to anywhere in the state of Utah except possibly Salt Lake County. That 83% of people in Cache County are white doesn't help either. Anyone who claims that those things don't have a huge influence on the decision of young black men in deciding where to play college basketball and get an education, are either lying or totally oblivious to the reality of life in the USA right now. And to expect young black men to overlook those things and come to Logan anyway, is foolish and unrealistic. Those facts, the politics and demographics, and they are facts, will be used by any program that can take advantage of them when recruiting against USU. And, it will work.
SSS
what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I’ve ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.
Oh get f*cked, you’re the idiot. Didn’t even address his post. It’s common sense that most (understatement) black college athletes are not fans of Donald Trump. It’s not at all ridiculous to discuss the possibility that support for Trump in Cache Valley could deter some young men from wanting to come here.

This is why Wasatch Academy is so much more successful at getting highly talented African American basketball players than USU. I know, it's not a college/university, but they do manage to bring kids in from all over the country. Mt. Pleasant is so much less white and Mormon than Logan and much more cosmopolitan and has a lot more going on. Besides, Provo is just an hour up the road and that's a town you can really let loose in.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

Eutaw St. Aggie

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 7th, 2021, 7:58 pm

I spent a week in Mt. Pleasant one night.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
YossarianOrangeCountyAggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 7th, 2021, 8:29 pm

Since we are flirting with sandbox territory, I'll just say I'm making a killing off ethereum right now as it has gone over 3,500. If it gets to over 10,000 I will do an Aggie tithing and donate 1,000 to USU athletics.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 7th, 2021, 8:34 pm

May 7th, 2021, 8:29 pm
Since we are flirting with sandbox territory, I'll just say I'm making a killing off ethereum right now as it has gone over 3,500. If it gets to over 10,000 I will do an Aggie tithing and donate 1,000 to USU athletics.
I cannot wait for it to hit 10k!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.ya ... 06727.html
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 7th, 2021, 8:36 pm

slcagg wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 8:34 pm
May 7th, 2021, 8:29 pm
I cannot wait for it to hit 10k!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.ya ... 06727.html
Yep!
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » May 7th, 2021, 11:52 pm

For those that perhaps don't check the front page news stories. This is one of the better interviews so far with coach Odom: https://www.hjnews.com/sports/usu/new-a ... 4197e.html

Talks about the new guys coming in and how he sees them fitting togther and who they may play with on the court.

Talks about Logan and the former coaches and players that have reached out to him.

Talks about the guys we lost and who he spoke to and the decisions they made and who he sees filling their roles now.

Good info all around!!
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
slcagg

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 8th, 2021, 6:09 am

Aglicious wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 11:52 pm
For those that perhaps don't check the front page news stories. This is one of the better interviews so far with coach Odom: https://www.hjnews.com/sports/usu/new-a ... 4197e.html

Talks about the new guys coming in and how he sees them fitting togther and who they may play with on the court.

Talks about Logan and the former coaches and players that have reached out to him.

Talks about the guys we lost and who he spoke to and the decisions they made and who he sees filling their roles now.

Good info all around!!
Thank you.

Interesting comment about horvarth role and he and bean playing together.

Also the Eytle rock comparison was interesting. His numbers do suggest he is a better shooter.

Two first team all conference guys. We might be selling ourselves a bit short!

bigskysbro

Post by bigskysbro » May 8th, 2021, 6:45 am

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 10:22 am
bigskysbro wrote:
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

SSS
what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I’ve ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.
Oh get f*cked, you’re the idiot. Didn’t even address his post. It’s common sense that most (understatement) black college athletes are not fans of Donald Trump. It’s not at all ridiculous to discuss the possibility that support for Trump in Cache Valley could deter some young men from wanting to come here.

No I didn’t address his post because I quoted word for word a scene from Billy Madison. While I mostly disagree with SSS’s post, I was having a little fun that apparently went over everyone’s head. But since you took the liberty of calling me an idiot and telling me to get f*cked, let me just say: your a pu$$y. :sarcasm:

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 8th, 2021, 6:51 am

I am still trying to figure out how 14=13.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » May 8th, 2021, 7:17 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 8th, 2021, 6:51 am
I am still trying to figure out how 14=13.
Your magnum opus is hanging by a thread. I applaud you for doing everything in your power to keep it from the sandbox. :golfclap:
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic