The hopefully definitive 2021 transfer portal thread

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Pacobag

Re: The hopefully definitive 2021 transfer portal thread

Post by Pacobag » May 7th, 2021, 9:23 am

Every school has recruiting advantages/disadvantages. If Logan demographics deter a recruit from selecting USU, that is their decision. If they aren't sure they will fit in, I can understand and relate. If they are haters of the local majority, that is unfortunate and we're probably not going to magically resolve the existing bias via some recruiting efforts.
Last edited by Pacobag on May 7th, 2021, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 7th, 2021, 9:24 am

slcagg wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:22 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:20 am
slcagg wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:17 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:16 am
I wonder if Jones joining will have any ripple effect down the roster. He’s likely taking PT from someone, so hopefully everyone is cool with it!
Most impacted is ashworth.

Ashworth for sure. Then probably Shulga, then probably Bairstow. I think you can pencil in Jones, Eytle-Rock, and Miller as the starting guards. Ashworth first off the bench.

I hope all the guards stick around, I like how that's looking overall.
Agreed.

I think the most up in the air is where does horvarth play? Do we see him and bean out there together a lot?
Absolutely I think we see Bean and Horvath together. both are all-conference level players. I don't see Dorius or Zapala stealing PT from either of them. I think Horvath and Bean are going to have a bit of a "bash brothers" from Mighty Ducks thing going on (my kid is really into the new Mighty Ducks series on Disney+, so I made him watch the old movies with me, so this is fresh). They are both fiery dudes.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on May 7th, 2021, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 7th, 2021, 9:27 am

slcagg wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:22 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:20 am
slcagg wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:17 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
I wonder if Jones joining will have any ripple effect down the roster. He’s likely taking PT from someone, so hopefully everyone is cool with it!
Most impacted is ashworth.

Ashworth for sure. Then probably Shulga, then probably Bairstow. I think you can pencil in Jones, Eytle-Rock, and Miller as the starting guards. Ashworth first off the bench.

I hope all the guards stick around, I like how that's looking overall.
Agreed.

I think the most up in the air is where does horvarth play? Do we see him and bean out there together a lot?
I don't think anything is up in the air with where Horvath plays. I think he'll clearly be the starting big man alongside Bean. I also think we'll see him backup Bean at times and then play alongside Dorius or Zapala.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
aggies22

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 7th, 2021, 9:28 am

Yeah I'm excited to see Bean and Horvath on the court together. Obviously you can't replace Queta, but we should still be one of the top rebounding teams once again. Last year we outrebounded opponents by 10.1 rebounds a game. The second closest in the conference was San Diego State at 3.9 a game. It won't be that lopsided next year, but I bet we still lead the league in rebounding margin with those two.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 7th, 2021, 9:28 am

Honestly, with looking at where we were a few months ago, I think we've come out ahead. I don't know who else Smith would've added, but if you simply look at Worster & Anthony. I'd absolutely take the trade of Worster & Anthony for Eytle Rock, Horvath, & Rylan Jones.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 6):
Aggie formerly in Hawaiihipsterdoofus21Sl7vk3rdGenAggiesockpuppetReal Life Aggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 7th, 2021, 9:31 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:21 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
I wonder if Jones joining will have any ripple effect down the roster. He’s likely taking PT from someone, so hopefully everyone is cool with it! Likely suspects would be Ashworth and Shulga, so hopefully they are on board!
As was argued at great length in the Jason Shelley threads, Jones won't be coming to USU to sit on the bench. This has potential to lead to someone transferring with Jones having 3 years left.
Yeah, I agree. I just hope it isn't Ashworth, because I really like his game and want him to stick around. I still see a ton of PT for Ashworth. With the additions and starting spots now likely settled, I don't know how tempting we will be to the denizens of the transfer portal. It would be really tough to replace Ashworth with a comparable player if he did decide to jet.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on May 7th, 2021, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in Hawaiigomretat

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 7th, 2021, 9:32 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:28 am
Honestly, with looking at where we were a few months ago, I think we've come out ahead. I don't know who else Smith would've added, but if you simply look at Worster & Anthony. I'd absolutely take the trade of Worster & Anthony for Eytle Rock, Horvath, & Rylan Jones.
That is certainly an upgrade on the offensive output side.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » May 7th, 2021, 9:33 am

I don't know that Jones will start over Ashworth. Either way, I like Ashworth's game and I hope he stays and develops. I'm also wondering if they run E-R at the point depending on the matchup with Shulga at the 2 and McBuckets at the 3 since I'm still holding out hope that he is going to be ELITE.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 7th, 2021, 9:33 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
Yep. We didn't land some "big splash" transfer, but even with my reservations Jones has major upside and Eytle-Rock and Horvath were all conference players on a 1st place team last year. I think some people are just taking them for granted because they are Odom's guys. If Odom landed two all conference players from the Big Sky or WCC, people would be complimenting him on for being a great portal recruiter.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 7th, 2021, 9:36 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:33 am
I don't know that Jones will start over Ashworth. Either way, I like Ashworth's game and I hope he stays and develops. I'm also wondering if they run E-R at the point depending on the matchup with Shulga at the 2 and McBuckets at the 3 since I'm still holding out hope that he is going to be ELITE.
Ain't no time for McBuckets, gents. I just don't see where he plays.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 7th, 2021, 9:52 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
Yep. We didn't land some "big splash" transfer, but even with my reservations Jones has major upside and Eytle-Rock and Horvath were all conference players on a 1st place team last year. I think some people are just taking them for granted because they are Odom's guys. If Odom landed two all conference players from the Big Sky or WCC, people would be complimenting him on for being a great portal recruiter.
Rylan is a 4* guy that is coming from a P5 school. If he was coming from North Carolina or Kansas I think everyone would be $hitting themselves. I think that our familiarity with him having been from Cache Valley and now coming from utah has kind of lessened the excitement level that should be following a player that has the impact potential that Rylan has.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
Sl7vkBLUERUFiOgomretatapo

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 7th, 2021, 9:59 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
In Aggieland, we will find a way to complain about landing two first-team all-conference players from another D1 school and a 4-star player from a P5 school that had a very impactful freshman year and struggled with injuries during a weird COVID year.

It sure seems to me that Odom was correct — we were and are uniquely positioned to do well in the portal.

People take Eytle-Rock and Horvath for granted, but it doubly helps that they already know the system, fit the culture Odom wants, and also happen to be all-conference level talents.
Aggie19Pacobag

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » May 7th, 2021, 10:08 am

I'm not hot or cold on Rylan. His sophomore slump is a little concerning regardless of the reasons (injuries, coaching, Covid, etc.). If he comes to USU, doesn't have any nagging injuries, and improves beyond his Freshman season, I will be really happy.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 7th, 2021, 10:12 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 9:27 pm
aggies22 wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 9:25 pm
aggies22 wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 5:17 pm
nvspuds wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 4:33 pm
I think he got injured twice..it was also a bad situation in SLC because the coach was losing his team and his job.

He put up similar numbers to Sherfield as a frosh..I am thinking he will do really well..

My one question is this..If he has yet to hit the portal or done so quite recently how can there be a staement tomorrow that he will be a Baggie? When did he and Odom have this chat? Until a kid is actually in the portal you can't talk to him.

hmmmmm....
Exactly! I don't believe for one second that any conversation about Rylan Jones becoming an Aggie has occurred. Regardless of what loserboard or anyone on this board says.
I guess I need to take this back. Rylan Jones is coming.
Hey! I’m hurt you doubted me 😔
My fellow Aggie brothers and sisters,

It has been pointed out to me that my post above in regards to Rylan Jones not being contacted may have come off in a condescending "tone". That was not my intention at all. All information available to me at the time of my post was telling me differently. Once my information changed so did my post. Roy McAvoy, I would like to reach out to you specifically, if my post upset you in anyway, I apologize! If any of my fellow USUFans board members also took any offense with the "tone" of my post, I apologize to you all as well.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 7th, 2021, 10:15 am

aggies22 wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 10:12 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
nvspuds wrote:
I think he got injured twice..it was also a bad situation in SLC because the coach was losing his team and his job.

He put up similar numbers to Sherfield as a frosh..I am thinking he will do really well..

My one question is this..If he has yet to hit the portal or done so quite recently how can there be a staement tomorrow that he will be a Baggie? When did he and Odom have this chat? Until a kid is actually in the portal you can't talk to him.

hmmmmm....
Exactly! I don't believe for one second that any conversation about Rylan Jones becoming an Aggie has occurred. Regardless of what loserboard or anyone on this board says.

It has been pointed out to me that my post above in regards to Rylan Jones not being contacted may have come off in a condescending "tone". That was not my intention at all. All information available to me at the time of my post was telling me differently. Once my information changed so did my post. Roy McAvoy, I would like to reach out to you specifically, if my post upset you in anyway, I apologize! If any of my fellow USUFans board members also took any offense with the "tone" of my post, I apologize to you all as well.
Not at all man, I'm just joking around! My post was all in good fun. Your insights & info are always greatly appreciated!
:cheers:
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » May 7th, 2021, 10:22 am

bigskysbro wrote:
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 7:41 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 8:58 pm

It just feels weird to me that in a sport dominated by African Americans we don’t have a single one the entire roster.
It should feel weird. However it seems that most posting on this board are unwilling to discuss the real reasons behind that. It isn't Craig Smith's fault, like some say. The reasons are the beliefs of a large portion of the American right that are expressed every day in words and actions publicly that demean, insult, and hurt people of color. Young basketball players are aware of those things. All they have to do is use Google to find out that 66% of Cache County voters voted for Trump in 2020. That 58% of Utah voters voted for Trump in 2020. That fact alone should make any young black American basketball player very leery about coming to Logan, Utah, or to anywhere in the state of Utah except possibly Salt Lake County. That 83% of people in Cache County are white doesn't help either. Anyone who claims that those things don't have a huge influence on the decision of young black men in deciding where to play college basketball and get an education, are either lying or totally oblivious to the reality of life in the USA right now. And to expect young black men to overlook those things and come to Logan anyway, is foolish and unrealistic. Those facts, the politics and demographics, and they are facts, will be used by any program that can take advantage of them when recruiting against USU. And, it will work.
SSS
what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I’ve ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.
Oh get f*cked, you’re the idiot. Didn’t even address his post. It’s common sense that most (understatement) black college athletes are not fans of Donald Trump. It’s not at all ridiculous to discuss the possibility that support for Trump in Cache Valley could deter some young men from wanting to come here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » May 7th, 2021, 10:24 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

It just feels weird to me that in a sport dominated by African Americans we don’t have a single one the entire roster.
It should feel weird. However it seems that most posting on this board are unwilling to discuss the real reasons behind that. It isn't Craig Smith's fault, like some say. The reasons are the beliefs of a large portion of the American right that are expressed every day in words and actions publicly that demean, insult, and hurt people of color. Young basketball players are aware of those things. All they have to do is use Google to find out that 66% of Cache County voters voted for Trump in 2020. That 58% of Utah voters voted for Trump in 2020. That fact alone should make any young black American basketball player very leery about coming to Logan, Utah, or to anywhere in the state of Utah except possibly Salt Lake County. That 83% of people in Cache County are white doesn't help either. Anyone who claims that those things don't have a huge influence on the decision of young black men in deciding where to play college basketball and get an education, are either lying or totally oblivious to the reality of life in the USA right now. And to expect young black men to overlook those things and come to Logan anyway, is foolish and unrealistic. Those facts, the politics and demographics, and they are facts, will be used by any program that can take advantage of them when recruiting against USU. And, it will work.
Politics and Trump votes are also why Kansas has such a hard time recruiting black kids. It's also why we have no black kids on the football team.

Not saying you're entirely wrong, but it's certainly not the only problem or even the biggest piece of the problem.
This is a completely acceptable response, unlike the loser that first responded to SSS. I don’t agree that voter support is the reason our basketball team was/is so white. But it’s not at all ridiculous to discuss that possibility.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 7th, 2021, 10:25 am

So does Craig Smith have a legit reason to file a recruiting violation against USU for tampering with someone not in the portal..?

Inquiring minds want to know. :):)
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post:
USU78

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 7th, 2021, 10:27 am

nvspuds wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 10:25 am
So does Craig Smith have a legit reason to file a recruiting violation against USU for tampering with someone not in the portal..?

The U of U has ABSOLUTELY no leg to stand on when it comes to USU-Utah recruiting violations. (See the David Collette affair...there's a podcast after he graduated of him admitting recruiting violations.)

But as for Craig Smith...who knows. I doubt he'd do anything because he'd have to prove that he also didn't do anything in recruiting 2 Utah State players. Rylan will just say that he grew up in Cache Valley and grew up a Utah State fan. He could say the only reason he went to Utah was because his dad coached there. Now that his dad doesn't, he wanted to transfer back "home".

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 7th, 2021, 10:28 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 10:15 am
aggies22 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
nvspuds wrote:

hmmmmm....

Not at all man, I'm just joking around! My post was all in good fun. Your insights & info are always greatly appreciated!
:cheers:
Thanks bro! I appreciate you being cool about it!! My bad!!!!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 7th, 2021, 10:30 am

aggies22 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
nvspuds wrote:

hmmmmm....

....and sisters! Look at you, 22!

I was personally offended by your post. :lol: How dare you post what you are hearing.
aggies22Real Life Aggie

sockpuppet

Post by sockpuppet » May 7th, 2021, 10:37 am

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 10:24 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Politics and Trump votes are also why Kansas has such a hard time recruiting black kids. It's also why we have no black kids on the football team.

Not saying you're entirely wrong, but it's certainly not the only problem or even the biggest piece of the problem.
This is a completely acceptable response, unlike the loser that first responded to SSS. I don’t agree that voter support is the reason our basketball team was/is so white. But it’s not at all ridiculous to discuss that possibility.

Imagine you're an African American family on a recruiting visit to Logan that happens to coincide with one of the Friday night Trump parade rallies on Main Street and your first impression of Logan on your way to Old Main Hill is watching dozens of bearded White dudes in trucks and Japanese made sedans flying MAGA and Trump "F*** your feelings" flags...you might be a little put off. SSS is not wrong in that societal observation.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 7th, 2021, 10:40 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 10:27 am
nvspuds wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 10:25 am

The U of U has ABSOLUTELY no leg to stand on when it comes to USU-Utah recruiting violations. (See the David Collette affair...there's a podcast after he graduated of him admitting recruiting violations.)

But as for Craig Smith...who knows. I doubt he'd do anything because he'd have to prove that he also didn't do anything in recruiting 2 Utah State players. Rylan will just say that he grew up in Cache Valley and grew up a Utah State fan. He could say the only reason he went to Utah was because his dad coached there. Now that his dad doesn't, he wanted to transfer back "home".
I was just joking..Smith is not going to seek sanctions against USU..He has a lot of kids he brought in still on the roster. He is not evil or vindictive..He took a job that really pays well in a nice place to live..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post:
3rdGenAggie

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » May 7th, 2021, 10:40 am

sockpuppet wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Imagine you're an African American family on a recruiting visit to Logan that happens to coincide with one of the Friday night Trump parade rallies on Main Street and your first impression of Logan on your way to Old Main Hill is watching dozens of bearded White dudes in trucks and Japanese made sedans flying MAGA and Trump "F*** your feelings" flags...you might be a little put off. SSS is not wrong in that societal observation.
Agreed 100%

rAggie

Post by rAggie » May 7th, 2021, 10:47 am

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 10:40 am
sockpuppet wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Agreed 100%

Was thinking about this today -- on the south end of town, right when you hit the "Y" there is some guy with 100 Trump flags in a vacant lot selling Trump merch. Is there a weirdo with 100 Trump flags selling Trump merch in Tuscaloosa as well? Yeah probably. But U of Alabama has a lot of other things that might mitigate that for a young student athlete.

It is hyperbolic to say that USU only recruits or only can get white kids, but it is completely reasonable to ask if there are any blind spots in our recruiting or, more importantly, if there are variables in the community that work against us that we could otherwise mitigate. I believe this is a discussion that is happening campus wide as a number of students of color as well as LGBTQ+ students have expressed discomfort with the university atmosphere in recently months/years, as well as experiences with racism in the community.

Does this stuff happen elsewhere? Yes. Does that make it acceptable that it happens here? No. Should we acknowledge that these things happen and strive to demand more of ourselves and our neighbors? I think so.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » May 7th, 2021, 11:06 am

slcagg wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 8:57 am
sockpuppet wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 8:38 am
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

This theory doesn't necessary explain why we've had rosters in the past that are 50/50 African American kids, even at a time when the predominant religion theologically viewed them as inferior during the 60's and 70's there have always been a half dozen African American kids. But obviously culture and location plays some part into a student-athlete and his families' decision. There's a reason 95% of BYU's roster is White return missionaries and why we also get a lot of White return missionaries.
Agreed sock.
It also doesn't account for Gonzaga:

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges ... diversity/

USU's ## and Gonzaga's ## aren't far different, with USU's only demographic which falls below the national average is ethnicity. In every other category, USU outshines the nation. And overall, USU outshines the nation. But do do your own comparison/contrast of the two.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 7th, 2021, 11:09 am

rAggie wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 10:47 am
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
sockpuppet wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Agreed 100%

Was thinking about this today -- on the south end of town, right when you hit the "Y" there is some guy with 100 Trump flags in a vacant lot selling Trump merch. Is there a weirdo with 100 Trump flags selling Trump merch in Tuscaloosa as well? Yeah probably. But U of Alabama has a lot of other things that might mitigate that for a young student athlete.

It is hyperbolic to say that USU only recruits or only can get white kids, but it is completely reasonable to ask if there are any blind spots in our recruiting or, more importantly, if there are variables in the community that work against us that we could otherwise mitigate. I believe this is a discussion that is happening campus wide as a number of students of color as well as LGBTQ+ students have expressed discomfort with the university atmosphere in recently months/years, as well as experiences with racism in the community.

Does this stuff happen elsewhere? Yes. Does that make it acceptable that it happens here? No. Should we acknowledge that these things happen and strive to demand more of ourselves and our neighbors? I think so.
Call out racism and homophobia where and when it happens. Don't make the suggestion the whole community is racist and homophobic because it voted for Trump.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 4):
rAggieUSU78cvalereksonaggie

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 7th, 2021, 11:12 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:36 am
At the 3 over Miller :rock:
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieAglicious

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » May 7th, 2021, 11:15 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 8:54 am
NVAggie wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 8:46 am
Anyone who knows SSS's past on here knows that he has had some epically bad rants against conservatives and mormons. I think we just need to flush this turd down the toilet and move on. The post was poor taste. I think we need to recognize that this really isn't a discussion worth having. It was attempted previously and went nowhere.
Just because we might disagree with something he's said in the past, that doesn't mean this comment has less merit. Again, there's not much we can do to change what he brought up, but that doesn't mean it's any less worth noting.
You are up in the night about this. I guess anyone can make up a political response concerning Aggie Athletics. But these are not to be posted in the football, basketball, and general sports talk threads. SSS’s and anyone else’s political gibberish, by RULE of this board must go in the Sandbox forum.
So either play by the rules, or get out of here!
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
ereksonaggie

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 7th, 2021, 11:17 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 10:30 am
aggies22 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
nvspuds wrote:

hmmmmm....

....and sisters! Look at you, 22!

I was personally offended by your post. :lol: How dare you post what you are hearing.
You're a lady? That's awesome! Thought this was all dudes :joking:

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 7th, 2021, 11:19 am

sockpuppet wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 10:37 am
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

If you can convince an African American athlete (and coach) to live in Laramie, Wyoming then Logan shouldn't be a problem.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 7th, 2021, 11:20 am

USU78 wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 11:06 am
slcagg wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 8:57 am
sockpuppet wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 8:38 am
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

This theory doesn't necessary explain why we've had rosters in the past that are 50/50 African American kids, even at a time when the predominant religion theologically viewed them as inferior during the 60's and 70's there have always been a half dozen African American kids. But obviously culture and location plays some part into a student-athlete and his families' decision. There's a reason 95% of BYU's roster is White return missionaries and why we also get a lot of White return missionaries.
Agreed sock.
It also doesn't account for Gonzaga:

USU's ## and Gonzaga's ## aren't far different, with USU's only demographic which falls below the national average is ethnicity. In every other category, USU outshines the nation. And overall, USU outshines the nation. But do do your own comparison/contrast of the two.
Another anecdote here is that the current football staff doesn't seem to be having any problem with this whatsoever.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
USU78AggiePT

rAggie

Post by rAggie » May 7th, 2021, 11:21 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 11:09 am
rAggie wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 10:47 am
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
sockpuppet wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Agreed 100%

Call out racism and homophobia where and when it happens. Don't make the suggestion the whole community is racist and homophobic because it voted for Trump.
I agree with you.

There's a descriptive statement: There are racists and homophobes in *insert town here*.
There's a normative statement: *insert town here* would be a better place without racists and homophobes.

When you're a person (be it a student athlete, someone evaluating multiple job offers, whatever) with multiple options, whether you do so intentionally or subconsciously, you create a list of factors that are important to you, weigh each factor on how important it is to you, and then decide how much of that "thing" each option has.

I think that in general the relative lack of diversity in Cache Valley is something that we have to mitigate when recruiting with other things: graduation rates, community safety, etc. A big mitigating factor that we can use with recruiting athletes specifically is the diversity of the team they are brought into. I think football, especially under Blake Anderson, is doing a really nice job with this. With basketball, it is something to watch and be aware of. I appreciate it being brought up for discussion and think it is valuable to acknowledge, and it can be acknowledged without making accusations of racism in the program.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggievegasaggie

Showing my True Colors since 2022

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » May 7th, 2021, 11:34 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 11:12 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:36 am
At the 3 over Miller :rock:
From your lips to god's ears....

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » May 7th, 2021, 11:42 am

IMHO, I think you try to recruit over some of the Forwards left in the program with a Juco C, or international player .. and may not happen this off-season. Also, the team needs an aggressive attacking wing/combo guard. 6'4-6'8 range who can defend and drive with the ball.

Any extra added player at this point should be a ball, handler/3-point shooter.

Can Odom recruit over the players who never really contributed last year??

Locked Previous topicNext topic