The hopefully definitive 2021 transfer portal thread

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Re: The hopefully definitive 2021 transfer portal thread

Post by USU78 » May 7th, 2021, 7:14 am

aggies22 wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 9:25 pm
aggies22 wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 5:17 pm
nvspuds wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 4:33 pm
I think he got injured twice..it was also a bad situation in SLC because the coach was losing his team and his job.

He put up similar numbers to Sherfield as a frosh..I am thinking he will do really well..

My one question is this..If he has yet to hit the portal or done so quite recently how can there be a staement tomorrow that he will be a Baggie? When did he and Odom have this chat? Until a kid is actually in the portal you can't talk to him.

hmmmmm....
Exactly! I don't believe for one second that any conversation about Rylan Jones becoming an Aggie has occurred. Regardless of what loserboard or anyone on this board says.
I guess I need to take this back. Rylan Jones is coming.
When we speak with those with ostensibly true information, we need to remember two things:

They only know what they know, not necessarily what others know; and

People lie
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
aggies22

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

SeldomSeenSmith

Post by SeldomSeenSmith » May 7th, 2021, 7:41 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 8:58 pm

It just feels weird to me that in a sport dominated by African Americans we don’t have a single one the entire roster.
It should feel weird. However it seems that most posting on this board are unwilling to discuss the real reasons behind that. It isn't Craig Smith's fault, like some say. The reasons are the beliefs of a large portion of the American right that are expressed every day in words and actions publicly that demean, insult, and hurt people of color. Young basketball players are aware of those things. All they have to do is use Google to find out that 66% of Cache County voters voted for Trump in 2020. That 58% of Utah voters voted for Trump in 2020. That fact alone should make any young black American basketball player very leery about coming to Logan, Utah, or to anywhere in the state of Utah except possibly Salt Lake County. That 83% of people in Cache County are white doesn't help either. Anyone who claims that those things don't have a huge influence on the decision of young black men in deciding where to play college basketball and get an education, are either lying or totally oblivious to the reality of life in the USA right now. And to expect young black men to overlook those things and come to Logan anyway, is foolish and unrealistic. Those facts, the politics and demographics, and they are facts, will be used by any program that can take advantage of them when recruiting against USU. And, it will work.
These users thanked the author SeldomSeenSmith for the post (total 4):
Sl7vkReal Life AggiesockpuppetMetsJetsAggies

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 7th, 2021, 7:47 am

nswaggie wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 6:41 am
I’m very interested to see if Jones > Worster or Worster > Jones. Part of me thinks we got an upgrade, but then again that is mostly based in ignoring Jones’s second year and looking at star ratings. I could see Worster struggling at that level as well, especially if he continues to shoot poorly from 3.
I am as well. Worster was a good defender and has a big body. I think on paper right now they are about a wash which is not terrible. I think he is a solid piece and will do well. He is very good with the ball. I think overall with Horvath and Eytle rock we added a solid group, while we may not be a top 3 team on paper we certainly have a team that can be really competitive.. For sure we are not better defensively but offensively we improved.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » May 7th, 2021, 7:48 am

If true, Rylan Jones is a HUGE get for Odom. Jones is better than Worster in all ways but two, size and strength. Jones is a much better shooter, better ball handler, better court vision, quicker, can break down defenses off the dribble, and is better defensive player as well. Both players have been hurt, but if both can stay healthy in 2021/2 I'd wager my mortgage that Jones will absolutely crush Worster statistically next year. Part of that is the respective conferences they play for, and part of that is just who they are.
The more I think about it, the more I think that Smith might be over his head in Salt Lake.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
BLUERUFiO

rAggie

Post by rAggie » May 7th, 2021, 7:50 am

Sl7vk wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 7:48 am
If true, Rylan Jones is a HUGE get for Odom. Jones is better than Worster in all ways but two, size and strength. Jones is a much better shooter, better ball handler, better court vision, quicker, can break down defenses off the dribble, and is better defensive player as well. Both players have been hurt, but if both can stay healthy in 2021/2 I'd wager my mortgage that Jones will absolutely crush Worster statistically next year. Part of that is the respective conferences they play for, and part of that is just who they are.
The more I think about it, the more I think that Smith might be over his head in Salt Lake.
Amen
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post:
Sl7vk

Showing my True Colors since 2022

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 7th, 2021, 7:50 am

Sl7vk wrote:
I am curious if worster starts next year with Jenkins there as well.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 7th, 2021, 7:51 am

I would easily take Jones over Worster. That isn't a knock on Rollie. I just think Rylan will be a good player for us.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Sl7vk

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » May 7th, 2021, 7:55 am

SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 7:41 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:

It just feels weird to me that in a sport dominated by African Americans we don’t have a single one the entire roster.
It should feel weird. However it seems that most posting on this board are unwilling to discuss the real reasons behind that. It isn't Craig Smith's fault, like some say. The reasons are the beliefs of a large portion of the American right that are expressed every day in words and actions publicly that demean, insult, and hurt people of color. Young basketball players are aware of those things. All they have to do is use Google to find out that 66% of Cache County voters voted for Trump in 2020. That 58% of Utah voters voted for Trump in 2020. That fact alone should make any young black American basketball player very leery about coming to Logan, Utah, or to anywhere in the state of Utah except possibly Salt Lake County. That 83% of people in Cache County are white doesn't help either. Anyone who claims that those things don't have a huge influence on the decision of young black men in deciding where to play college basketball and get an education, are either lying or totally oblivious to the reality of life in the USA right now. And to expect young black men to overlook those things and come to Logan anyway, is foolish and unrealistic. Those facts, the politics and demographics, and they are facts, will be used by any program that can take advantage of them when recruiting against USU. And, it will work.
Horse sh!te. It's antireligious bigotry being stuffed into kids' heads by those afraid of sheep stealing. You embrace their hatreds without considering the real reason for their hatreds because:

Your own hatreds are personal, not policy driven.

Take your sliminess out of here to the sandbox.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
mcaggie1

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 7th, 2021, 7:55 am

Sl7vk wrote:
Do we know what i juries Jones had last year? Are they still occurring or is he 100% healthy. Hopefully he can get back to how he played his freshman year. Seems like a really solid get. Excited how Odom filled out the roster.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 7th, 2021, 7:57 am

SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Take it the sand box. To imply that if you voted for Trump that you hate people of color is plain hogwash.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
USU78cval

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » May 7th, 2021, 8:00 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 7:55 am
Sl7vk wrote:
Do we know what i juries Jones had last year? Are they still occurring or is he 100% healthy. Hopefully he can get back to how he played his freshman year. Seems like a really solid get. Excited how Odom filled out the roster.
A concussion his freshman year and a shoulder injury last year.
Shoulder injuries are worrisome.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 7th, 2021, 8:05 am

Sl7vk wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 8:00 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes ... urt-again/

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 7th, 2021, 8:06 am

Sl7vk wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Shoulder injuries are never good, especially if its his shooting arm.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 7th, 2021, 8:10 am

Sl7vk wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
This would explain the drop off. Hope it heals. If it does we landed a legit player. Any other true freshman pg that averaged 10 ppg and 4.5 apg from a P5 we would be jumping up and down about.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 7th, 2021, 8:17 am

SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Haha. How many players are going to google that Tuscaloosa County (Tuscaloosa Alabama) voted favorable to Trump? Last I checked the football and the basketball recruiting are doing quite well there. We also have been getting commits in football from all over the country with different backgrounds.

What a stupid argument so you can bring your political hate. Mods please feel free to move my comments and Seldoms comment elsewhere.

Btw if I was a parent I would be most concerned about crime level, educational opportunity and coaching staff. I think Cache Valley and Utah State has a lot to offer in that way compared to many other locations. Glad you aren't recruiting players to Logan.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
cval

Notatrueaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by Notatrueaggie » May 7th, 2021, 8:27 am

slcagg wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 8:17 am
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Haha. How many players are going to google that Tuscaloosa County (Tuscaloosa Alabama) voted favorable to Trump? Last I checked the football and the basketball recruiting are doing quite well there. We also have been getting commits in football from all over the country with different backgrounds.

What a stupid argument so you can bring your political hate. Mods please feel free to move my comments and Seldoms comment elsewhere.

Btw if I was a parent I would be most concerned about crime level, educational opportunity and coaching staff. I think Cache Valley and Utah State has a lot to offer in that way compared to many other locations. Glad you aren't recruiting players to Logan.
Baylor, Arkansas, Texas Tech, has more trump voters and had more success. I don’t know why the hell you’d bring politics into this. I agree with the post above, just tried to bring hate. GTFOH with that nonsense
These users thanked the author Notatrueaggie for the post:
cval

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 7th, 2021, 8:31 am

Guys! This is the definitive transfer portal thread. It is my magnum opus. Don’t get it locked or deleted with the race discussion!

The race discussion is 100% worth having, but it didn’t go well last time...
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 6):
Roy McAvoyflying_scotsman2.0Aggie formerly in HawaiiUSU78mcaggie1BLUERUFiO

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » May 7th, 2021, 8:38 am

I guess this Jones move would be the end of the transfer portal discussion since that means our roster is full. So let’s keep up the sandbox material

sockpuppet

Post by sockpuppet » May 7th, 2021, 8:38 am

SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

This theory doesn't necessary explain why we've had rosters in the past that are 50/50 African American kids, even at a time when the predominant religion theologically viewed them as inferior during the 60's and 70's there have always been a half dozen African American kids. But obviously culture and location plays some part into a student-athlete and his families' decision. There's a reason 95% of BYU's roster is White return missionaries and why we also get a lot of White return missionaries.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » May 7th, 2021, 8:41 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 8:31 am
Guys! This is the definitive transfer portal thread. It is my magnum opus. Don’t get it locked or deleted with the race discussion!

I agree. I'll probably get lambasted for my ideas, too, but I didn't see hate from SSS's comments. He just laid out some facts of things that would probably be seen as unfavorable from young black athletes looking to come to Logan. He's not saying that people in Logan are racist and hate black people. He's saying that the associated change in demographics might give them pause.

If you get angry at that, check yourself. His comments are reasonable to consider (not that there's much we can do). We're a good mid major, so any athlete we're recruiting has a range of other options available. For whatever reason, those other options may become more attractive when they consider lifestyle, location, and demographics.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
sockpuppetaggieguy13

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 7th, 2021, 8:46 am

Anyone who knows SSS's past on here knows that he has had some epically bad rants against conservatives and mormons. I think we just need to flush this turd down the toilet and move on. The post was poor taste. I think we need to recognize that this really isn't a discussion worth having. It was attempted previously and went nowhere.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 3):
3rdGenAggieUSU78mcaggie1

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » May 7th, 2021, 8:54 am

NVAggie wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 8:46 am
Anyone who knows SSS's past on here knows that he has had some epically bad rants against conservatives and mormons. I think we just need to flush this turd down the toilet and move on. The post was poor taste. I think we need to recognize that this really isn't a discussion worth having. It was attempted previously and went nowhere.
Just because we might disagree with something he's said in the past, that doesn't mean this comment has less merit. Again, there's not much we can do to change what he brought up, but that doesn't mean it's any less worth noting.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 7th, 2021, 8:57 am

sockpuppet wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 8:38 am
SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

This theory doesn't necessary explain why we've had rosters in the past that are 50/50 African American kids, even at a time when the predominant religion theologically viewed them as inferior during the 60's and 70's there have always been a half dozen African American kids. But obviously culture and location plays some part into a student-athlete and his families' decision. There's a reason 95% of BYU's roster is White return missionaries and why we also get a lot of White return missionaries.
Agreed sock.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 7th, 2021, 8:58 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 8:41 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 8:31 am

I agree. I'll probably get lambasted for my ideas, too, but I didn't see hate from SSS's comments. He just laid out some facts of things that would probably be seen as unfavorable from young black athletes looking to come to Logan. He's not saying that people in Logan are racist and hate black people. He's saying that the associated change in demographics might give them pause.

If you get angry at that, check yourself. His comments are reasonable to consider (not that there's much we can do). We're a good mid major, so any athlete we're recruiting has a range of other options available. For whatever reason, those other options may become more attractive when they consider lifestyle, location, and demographics.
I didn't see hate either. It's certainly one hypothesis. I don't know why some choose to take personal insult to anything SSS said.

I do disagree somewhat with SSS about the source of our current predicament. Consider our success recruiting a very diverse football team in the here and now. Consider our past success recruiting diverse basketball teams. The demographics of Cache Valley certainly contribute to struggles, but that is currently being overcome by our football coaches and has been overcome in the past by our basketball coaches. I do think demographics have a much bigger role in this than the political views of the fine denizens of Cache Valley. The SEC schools (virtually all red states) have no problem recruiting, largely because they are demographically so different.

I think he is heavily discounting how having a somewhat cooky, overly-energetic white dude from Stephen, MN as the head coach might exacerbate the demographic hurdles Cache Valley presents. Smith is not everyone's cup of tea. This is why, IMO, it was so important for Odom to have at least one African-American assistant coach on staff.

I would like this discussion to continue, but would prefer that be in another thread (not that I have any control over any of you) :lol:
Last edited by ineptimusprime on May 7th, 2021, 9:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 7th, 2021, 8:59 am

Sl7vk wrote:
Smith might be in over his head, but not for relating to Jones. It just means he isn't keeping Rylan Jones dad around, same with Ian Martinez. After what Jones produced for the Utes last year, it would be hard to argue he is a player so great you'll keep his dad in a position that you want to fill with someone else.

As for Jones, if he is an Aggie I hope you guys are right about him and he is great. After watching him last year, it is hard to get excited about him at the moment. Hope the year was a fluke and he'll be great in Logan.

bigskysbro

Post by bigskysbro » May 7th, 2021, 9:07 am

SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

SSS
what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I’ve ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.
Last edited by bigskysbro on May 7th, 2021, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author bigskysbro for the post:
ShowMeAggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » May 7th, 2021, 9:07 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 8:59 am
Sl7vk wrote:
Smith might be in over his head, but not for relating to Jones. It just means he isn't keeping Rylan Jones dad around, same with Ian Martinez. After what Jones produced for the Utes last year, it would be hard to argue he is a player so great you'll keep his dad in a position that you want to fill with someone else.

As for Jones, if he is an Aggie I hope you guys are right about him and he is great. After watching him last year, it is hard to get excited about him at the moment. Hope the year was a fluke and he'll be great in Logan.
There might be a bit of a curve for Coach Smith, but seeing how well he handled the step up in his first year at USU, I think he'll be just fine. Not to put a damper on our spirits, but I think he's going to kill it at the U. It's bittersweet.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » May 7th, 2021, 9:08 am

Also, do you guys mind not attacking SSS personally? This is supposed to be a discussion thread amongst adults. If you want to be douchebags, take it to the Sandbox and start a "let's lob insults at SSS" thread.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 3):
Aggie formerly in HawaiisockpuppetMetsJetsAggies

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 7th, 2021, 9:11 am

SeldomSeenSmith wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Politics and Trump votes are also why Kansas has such a hard time recruiting black kids. It's also why we have no black kids on the football team.

Not saying you're entirely wrong, but it's certainly not the only problem or even the biggest piece of the problem.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 7th, 2021, 9:12 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:07 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 8:59 am
Sl7vk wrote:

There might be a bit of a curve for Coach Smith, but seeing how well he handled the step up in his first year at USU, I think he'll be just fine. Not to put a damper on our spirits, but I think he's going to kill it at the U. It's bittersweet.
Yeah my position has been clear that I hope he fails because he is the Utah coach, but at the same time I wouldn't bet against him. Smith has won at 3 different spots now as the Head Coach. Utah will be a challenge, but Smith can flat out coach. He will be their best coach since Majerus.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 7th, 2021, 9:16 am

I wonder if Jones joining will have any ripple effect down the roster. He’s likely taking PT from someone, so hopefully everyone is cool with it! Likely suspects would be Ashworth and Shulga, so hopefully they are on board!
Last edited by ineptimusprime on May 7th, 2021, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
3rdGenAggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 7th, 2021, 9:17 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:16 am
I wonder if Jones joining will have any ripple effect down the roster. He’s likely taking PT from someone, so hopefully everyone is cool with it!
Most impacted is ashworth.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 7th, 2021, 9:20 am

slcagg wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:17 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
I wonder if Jones joining will have any ripple effect down the roster. He’s likely taking PT from someone, so hopefully everyone is cool with it!

Ashworth for sure. Then probably Shulga, then probably Bairstow. I think you can pencil in Jones, Eytle-Rock, and Miller as the starting guards. Ashworth first off the bench, then Shulga, then Bairstow. If we're not playing Bairstow at the 3, this will impact him a lot. Indirectly, it may impact Bairstow the most. If Liam is gonna play more of a guard role, it pushes him further down the bench too.

I hope all the guards stick around, I like how that's looking overall.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on May 7th, 2021, 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 7th, 2021, 9:21 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
I wonder if Jones joining will have any ripple effect down the roster. He’s likely taking PT from someone, so hopefully everyone is cool with it! Likely suspects would be Ashworth and Shulga, so hopefully they are on board!
As was argued at great length in the Jason Shelley threads, Jones won't be coming to USU to sit on the bench. This has potential to lead to someone transferring with Jones having 3 years left.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 7th, 2021, 9:22 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:20 am
slcagg wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:17 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

Ashworth for sure. Then probably Shulga, then probably Bairstow. I think you can pencil in Jones, Eytle-Rock, and Miller as the starting guards. Ashworth first off the bench.

I hope all the guards stick around, I like how that's looking overall.
Agreed.

I think the most up in the air is where does horvarth play? Do we see him and bean out there together a lot?

Locked Previous topicNext topic