The hopefully definitive 2021 transfer portal thread

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie84025

Re: The hopefully definitive 2021 transfer portal thread

Post by Aggie84025 » May 6th, 2021, 6:16 pm

Yossarian wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 6:06 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 5:40 pm
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... chad-baker

Another Good pickup here for the Aztecs.
Fixed. They keep bringing in top talent.
I am sure he is a fine player, but is 9 points per game from a 9-9 mid major team really top talent?

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 6th, 2021, 6:26 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 6:16 pm
Yossarian wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

I am sure he is a fine player, but is 9 points per game from a 9-9 mid major team really top talent?
Freshman..And the A 10 is a better BB conference than the MW. SDSU never has to reach in the transfer market..They get who they want..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 2):
aggies22Real Life Aggie

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » May 6th, 2021, 7:08 pm

Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 4:44 pm

If we get this version of Jones, he is absolutely a needle mover. We will have 2 undersized PG’s, but Jones is a true floor general.
He had a good OT but I don't see much to get that excited about. He looks undersized, a little slow, and I'm not sure he's even aware he has a left arm. Perhaps he shoots better than Ashworth? but I don't see anything that he offers that we don't already have. Both he and Ashworth seem to be high IQ and high effort type players. That's great, but high athleticism and size will win out at the highest levels of competition. If he comes, of course I'll root for him and maybe playing with a chip on his shoulder to prove the new Ute staff wrong will benefit us.

That being said, if this is how we use our last roster spot I think this staff is going to get an eyeful of the talent disparity next year between the Aggies and the top half of the conference. We seem like we'll be a team that is built to live and die by the 3-pointer on offense and will struggle to stop the better, more balanced teams on defense.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 6th, 2021, 7:08 pm

nvspuds wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 6:26 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Freshman..And the A 10 is a better BB conference than the MW. SDSU never has to reach in the transfer market..They get who they want..
This.

Those 9.9 ppg as a freshman are more than Rollie Worster (9.1), Sam Merrill (9.1), Jaylen Moore (5.6), and Preston Medlin (3.7) who all played significant minutes as freshmen. I wouldn't say he is the type of player to scoff at. I suppose we'll find out over the next three years if he works out or not.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 6th, 2021, 7:13 pm

Aglicious wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 7:08 pm
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:

If we get this version of Jones, he is absolutely a needle mover. We will have 2 undersized PG’s, but Jones is a true floor general.
He had a good OT but I don't see much to get that excited about. He looks undersized, a little slow, and I'm not sure he's even aware he has a left arm. Perhaps he shoots better than Ashworth? but I don't see anything that he offers that we don't already have. Both he and Ashworth seem to be high IQ and high effort type players. That's great, but high athleticism and size will win out at the highest levels of competition. If he comes, of course I'll root for him and maybe playing with a chip on his shoulder to prove the new Ute staff wrong will benefit us.

That being said, if this is how we use our last roster spot I think this staff is going to get an eyeful of the talent disparity next year between the Aggies and the top half of the conference. We seem like we'll be a team that is built to live and die by the 3-pointer on offense and will struggle to stop the better, more balanced teams on defense.
This is why I would use the last scholarship on a long, athletic guy that can defend the guard/wing position. Replacing Anthony's defense is critical when there is no Queta to protect the rim when opposing guards blow past our guards. I know guys like the one we need don't grow on trees and we may not find that guy. I just think it is a need. Someone has to be assigned the task of guarding the best perimeter player on the other team and I don't know who that is on our current roster.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 6th, 2021, 7:13 pm

Yossarian wrote:
nvspuds wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

This.

Those 9.9 ppg as a freshman are more than Rollie Worster (9.1), Sam Merrill (9.1), Jaylen Moore (5.6), and Preston Medlin (3.7) who all played significant minutes as freshmen. I wouldn't say he is the type of player to scoff at. I suppose we'll find out over the next three years if he works out or not.
For sure we will see how he turns out. I was not saying that he's not a good player I just wasn't considering him a top talent.

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » May 6th, 2021, 7:16 pm

nvspuds wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 4:33 pm
I think he got injured twice..it was also a bad situation in SLC because the coach was losing his team and his job.

He put up similar numbers to Sherfield as a frosh..I am thinking he will do really well..

My one question is this..If he has yet to hit the portal or done so quite recently how can there be a staement tomorrow that he will be a Baggie? When did he and Odom have this chat? Until a kid is actually in the portal you can't talk to him.

hmmmmm....
The kid grew up in Logan while his dad was an assistant under Stew. It’s not crazy to think he had his mind made up before officially entering the portal.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » May 6th, 2021, 7:21 pm

Well Odom probably considers him a giant after having a 5'2" PG at UMBC.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 6th, 2021, 7:22 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 7:13 pm
Yossarian wrote:
nvspuds wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

This.

For sure we will see how he turns out. I was not saying that he's not a good player I just wasn't considering him a top talent.
I get it.

I'm just looking at who SDSU has brought in through the transfer portal this year. They have:

Tahirou Diabate
6' 9"/225 SR transfer from Portland (2*)

Matt Bradley
6' 4" / 220 JR transfer from Cal (4*)

Jaedon LeDee
6' 9"/ 235 JR transfer from TCU (4*)

Chad Baker
6' 7"/ 190 FR transfer from Duquesne (2*)

Eutaw St. Aggie

utaggies

Post by utaggies » May 6th, 2021, 7:39 pm

Yossarian wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 7:22 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
nvspuds wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

This.

I get it.

I'm just looking at who SDSU has brought in through the transfer portal this year. They have:

Tahirou Diabate

Matt Bradley

Jaedon LeDee

Chad Baker
Hold on a minute. I thought we were the ones “uniquely” positioned to benefit from the transfer portal. SDS needs to get out of our lane!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2021, 7:47 pm

Aglicious wrote:
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:

That may well be.

Before Marco and Rollie left, I think people were overrating the talent level of the rest of the conference and underrating what we we would be bringing back. But with them leaving, we may not compete well.

It sounds right now like we will be returning one healthy starter (Bean), and one quality, but hobbled/injured starter (Miller). But we are also losing the MW 6MOTY in Anthony, and returning two players that we got meaningful bench contributions from last year (Ashworth and Dorius). We are replacing 3/5 starters and hoping for someone to fill some bench roles.

It seems more like a full rebuild right now, and that’s fine. Our success next year will depend entirely on how Horvath, Eytle-Rock, and Jones (from the sounds of it) transition to the MW and mesh with our team.

It seems we have too few scholarships to work with after losing Queta, Anderson, Anthony, Worster, and Karwowski. I know the math adds up and 13=13 and all, but it just doesn’t seem we have the scholarships to replace what we are losing.

I guess that’s what happens when you reward a walk-on with a scholarship and have a mission kid joining the team.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on May 6th, 2021, 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2021, 7:48 pm

utaggies wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 7:39 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
nvspuds wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

This.

I get it.

Tahirou Diabate

Matt Bradley

Jaedon LeDee

Chad Baker
Hold on a minute. I thought we were the ones “uniquely” positioned to benefit from the transfer portal. SDS needs to get out of our lane!
You really like beating Odom over the head with this don’t you? :lol:

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 6th, 2021, 7:48 pm

I am not sure why you are pooh poohing the transfers you have already inked. The two kids from UNBC are really talented and experienced. If you add Rylan Jones he has a lot of game..

It looks like you could have 4 5th year seniors in your starting lineup...Old is what you want on a college roster..

Just because a transfer comes from a low rated conference it doesn't mean they are not good..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 4):
AggiePTPacobag3rdGenAggiebluegrouse

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 6th, 2021, 7:53 pm

nvspuds wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 7:48 pm
I am not sure why you are pooh poohing the transfers you have already inked. The two kids from UNBC are really talented and experienced. If you add Rylan Jones he has a lot of game..

It looks like you could have 4 5th year seniors in your starting lineup...Old is what you want on a college roster..

Just because a transfer comes from a low rated conference it doesn't mean they are not good..
I dont understand it either. Both the transfers averaged 13 points last year and they are veteran guys. Shulga and bairstow have the potential to improve with a new coach. Ashworth should be a solid role guy as well. Certainly not saying we are the team to beat, but the sky is not falling either.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2021, 7:54 pm

nvspuds wrote:

Horvath and who else? Eytle-Rock will be in his second junior year, Rylan Jones will be in his second sophomore year, Miller and Bean will be in their second junior years. Only one whose eligibility will be up after next year is Horvath.

I’m not poo-pooing the UMBC guys. I think they will be good. But it’s natural to wonder how they translate.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 6th, 2021, 8:00 pm

Didn't Bean redshirt then play 3 seasons..I guess with the Bonus year he is still technically a junior but it is his 6th year..I was wrong about the english kid. Did he only play 2 years at UMBC? Miller has 3 full seasons under his belt. Horvath has 4..That is a really experienced and veteran starting 4 there..Jones is going into his 3rd year..

Being an older team is good and that is a model lots of teams are looking at..Transfer can keep your roster old..

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 6th, 2021, 8:01 pm

nvspuds wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 8:00 pm
Didn't Bean redshirt then play 3 seasons..I guess with the Bonus year he is still technically a junior but it is his 5th year..I was wrong about the English kid. Did he only play 2 years at UMBC? Miller has 3 full seasons under his belt. Horvath has 4..That is a really experienced and veteran starting 4 there..Jones is going into his 3rd year..

Being an older team is good and that is a model lots of teams are looking at..Transfers can keep your roster old..

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 6th, 2021, 8:01 pm

oops..

cval

Post by cval » May 6th, 2021, 8:02 pm

I am amazed that the least negative guy about our team on our board is the guy from Nevada.
These users thanked the author cval for the post (total 4):
Real Life AggieAggiePT3rdGenAggiebluegrouse

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 6th, 2021, 8:11 pm

I have been coming round here for years..You guys always have one foot over the ledge even when things are going good..I don't have to be even a little positive and I am a contender for the top spot on the positivity scale..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 9):
slcaggBLUERUFiOcvalReal Life AggieAggiePTPacobag3rdGenAggieAggiefan33bluegrouse

Bluened
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bluened » May 6th, 2021, 8:13 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
nvspuds wrote:

Horvath and who else? Eytle-Rock will be in his second junior year, Rylan Jones will be in his second sophomore year, Miller and Bean will be in their second junior years. Only one whose eligibility will be up after next year is Horvath.

I’m not poo-pooing the UMBC guys. I think they will be good. But it’s natural to wonder how they translate.
I wonder how SDSU’s will translate....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 6th, 2021, 8:16 pm

For SDSU, Bradley should be a stud and a new comer of the year contender/all conference guy.

I think the others will all be in the rotation but SDSU has a lot of really good guys on that roster..I see them as overwhelming favorites at this point..

utaggies

Post by utaggies » May 6th, 2021, 8:20 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
utaggies wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 7:39 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
nvspuds wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

This.

I get it.

Tahirou Diabate

Matt Bradley

Jaedon LeDee

Chad Baker
You really like beating Odom over the head with this don’t you? :lol:
It does give me a little delight. I hope he makes me eat crow big time. :cheers:

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 6th, 2021, 8:22 pm

nvspuds wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 8:16 pm
For SDSU, Bradley should be a stud and a new comer of the year contender/all conference guy.

I think the others will all be in the rotation but SDSU has a lot of really good guys on that roster..I see them as overwhelming favorites at this point..
I won't be shocked when Matt Bradley wins conference player of the year.

Bluened
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bluened » May 6th, 2021, 8:30 pm

nvspuds wrote:For SDSU, Bradley should be a stud and a new comer of the year contender/all conference guy.

Yeah, I agree they are definitely the favorites. It is fun right now to speculate how rosters are shaping up and how things look on paper. I like some of the talent Odom has brought in. On paper we may not look like a top third of the MW team, but games are not won on paper. Hopefully Odom can develop Bairstow, Shula, etc. He is a great X’s and O’s coach and hopefully we will have great team chemistry.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » May 6th, 2021, 8:58 pm

I have watched jones play a lot. Someone said he is slow, I Disagree. One of his best qualities is his ability to change speeds. I am THRILLED if this rumor turns out to be true.

These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post:
bluegrouse

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 6th, 2021, 8:58 pm

nvspuds wrote:

It just feels weird to me that in a sport dominated by African Americans we don’t have a single one the entire roster.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 6th, 2021, 9:17 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 8:58 pm
I have watched jones play a lot. Someone said he is slow, I Disagree. One of his best qualities is his ability to change speeds. I am THRILLED if this rumor turns out to be true.

His stats say he was very good as freshman but this year not so much. What happened this year?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 6th, 2021, 9:25 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 5:17 pm
nvspuds wrote:
I think he got injured twice..it was also a bad situation in SLC because the coach was losing his team and his job.

He put up similar numbers to Sherfield as a frosh..I am thinking he will do really well..

My one question is this..If he has yet to hit the portal or done so quite recently how can there be a staement tomorrow that he will be a Baggie? When did he and Odom have this chat? Until a kid is actually in the portal you can't talk to him.

hmmmmm....
Exactly! I don't believe for one second that any conversation about Rylan Jones becoming an Aggie has occurred. Regardless of what loserboard or anyone on this board says.
I guess I need to take this back. Rylan Jones is coming.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
BLUERUFiOslcaggUSU783rdGenAggie

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 6th, 2021, 9:27 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 9:25 pm
aggies22 wrote:
nvspuds wrote:

hmmmmm....
Exactly! I don't believe for one second that any conversation about Rylan Jones becoming an Aggie has occurred. Regardless of what loserboard or anyone on this board says.
Hey! I’m hurt you doubted me 😔

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » May 6th, 2021, 9:30 pm

His Freshman line is fantastic (compare it with some past Aggie greats freshman lines...). I'm willing to cut him some slack for a sophomore COVID season + injuries + coaching/team issues. I think he is going to be a very nice piece for us.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 6th, 2021, 10:07 pm

Yossarian wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 4:59 pm
If Jones can beat BYU, we'll take him.
I'll take him too. The fact that our best players fail to show up when playing BYU-P has been a total downer for me for years. If Jones can be that cougar slayer we need then I'll be delighted!

BTW, here is 24/7's evaluation of him during his senior year of hs.

Average size and length but makes up for it almost everywhere else. Highly skilled point guard with high basketball IQ. Good decision maker who limits turnovers. Does nice job balancing scoring and creating. Very good ball handler with plus vision. Plus shooter who can score from all three levels. Overachieves on defense due to motor and feel. More point guard quick than athletic; how he improves athletically as he matures will be something to watch. Projects as multi-year starter on winning team at high major level.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
aggies22

ususports

Post by ususports » May 7th, 2021, 2:12 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 9:27 pm
aggies22 wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 9:25 pm
aggies22 wrote:
nvspuds wrote:

hmmmmm....
Hey! I’m hurt you doubted me 😔
It seems like if Roy mentions something that has relation to the Utes/Aggies, and everyone else says that there is no way it will happen, from now on, we might want to believe it will.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » May 7th, 2021, 6:41 am

I’m very interested to see if Jones > Worster or Worster > Jones. Part of me thinks we got an upgrade, but then again that is mostly based in ignoring Jones’s second year and looking at star ratings. I could see Worster struggling at that level as well, especially if he continues to shoot poorly from 3.

Cheecho6

Post by Cheecho6 » May 7th, 2021, 7:12 am

aggies22 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
nvspuds wrote:

hmmmmm....
Happy to have him!!

"We are not here to weather the storm, We are here to be the storm!"
-Jason Kreis

Locked Previous topicNext topic