Connections

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SectionBAggie

Connections

Post by SectionBAggie » April 7th, 2021, 7:13 pm

Doing a little digging I discovered that Dave Odom (Ryan’s dad) recruited by a player from the Virgin Islands who played at WFU for four years. He went on to a career in the NBA. 19 years with the SA Spurs.
Hope that there’s something in the family genes for coaches.
I could enjoy watching Tim Duncan level skills in the Spectrum.

frankiesaysrelax

Re: Connections

Post by frankiesaysrelax » April 7th, 2021, 7:16 pm

According to some stat they showed a few times this year you just got done watching one in Queta. I don’t remember the comparison but it was him, Duncan the magician (dude seriously loves magic) and someone else.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » April 7th, 2021, 7:25 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 7:13 pm
Doing a little digging I discovered that Dave Odom (Ryan’s dad) recruited by a player from the Virgin Islands who played at WFU for four years. He went on to a career in the NBA. 19 years with the SA Spurs.
I remember Tim Duncan in college. He and Keith Van Horn were the #1 and #2 picks in the draft my junior year of High School. They played a New Year's Eve game against each other in the Huntsman center, which Utah ended up losing. Wake Forest fell apart that season at the end of the year and went out in the 2nd round. Utah went to the Elite 8 where Kentucky put them out.

My senior year, Utah made it to the NCAA finals where Kentucky put them out again. The Jazz lost in the NBA finals as well, but not before beating San Antonio and Tim Duncan in the 2nd round. He was one of the most fundamentally sound players I ever saw, even as a rookie.
Wake Forest was a NIT without Tim Duncan. San Antonio won the lottery and formed their own mini consistent dynasty with the Twin towers of David Robinson and Tim Duncan. The Jazz ended up losing something like 19 straight to them in the coming years.

That type of player doesn't come along often.
Last edited by NowhereLandAggie on April 7th, 2021, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 7th, 2021, 9:41 pm

Most amazing thing about Duncan is he stayed 4 years of college. That would be absolutely unheard of today. Maybe he stays two years, but not more than that. In college Tim Duncan was part of a team that almost beat the 96 Gold Medal winning team full of NBA stars. They had a 17 point second half lead, but just couldn't close. Billups and Paul Pierce were also on that team.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 7th, 2021, 9:56 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 7:25 pm
SectionBAggie wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 7:13 pm
I remember Tim Duncan in college. He and Keith Van Horn were the #1 and #2 picks in the draft my junior year of High School. They played a New Year's Eve game against each other in the Huntsman center, which Utah ended up losing. Wake Forest fell apart that season at the end of the year and went out in the 2nd round. Utah went to the Elite 8 where Kentucky put them out.

My senior year, Utah made it to the NCAA finals where Kentucky put them out again. The Jazz lost in the NBA finals as well, but not before beating San Antonio and Tim Duncan in the 2nd round. He was one of the most fundamentally sound players I ever saw, even as a rookie.
Wake Forest was a NIT without Tim Duncan. San Antonio won the lottery and formed their own mini consistent dynasty with the Twin towers of David Robinson and Tim Duncan. The Jazz ended up losing something like 19 straight to them in the coming years.

That type of player doesn't come along often.
And yet somehow we played the Utes during every year of Keith Van Horn's time there, every year of Doleac and Miller's time at Utah too. Somehow this happened while Utah spent several years in the top 10 and had 5 straight years of being a 4 seed in the tournament or better. Some of our younger fans that have been brainwashed by the Utes should know how that game was played every year forever until the last decade. Somehow teams just sucked it up and played "despite it being a no win situation for Utah." Such utter garbage and it disgusts me that Aggie fans have bought into Ute propaganda like that.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 3):
osuaggieFullsstrasser

Locked Previous topicNext topic