UMBC transfer portal list

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

Re: UMBC transfer portal list

Post by SLB » April 7th, 2021, 4:08 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 4:07 pm
SLB wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 4:02 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 3:58 pm
SLB wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 2:27 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 2:26 pm
I don't think we have a glut of big men anymore now that Neemi, Kuba, and Fonz are moving on. We'll need another forward for sure. After watching some of UMBC's film the other night, I would take Horvath in a heartbeat. The guy makes his team better. He plays unselfish and knows how to use space and hit the open guy besides doing some scoring and rebounding himself. He knows what Odom wants on both ends. He also moves well for a 6'10" guy. and averaged 13 pts, 9 rebs, and 2 assists a game last season, which is very Beanesque. I think you start him next to Bean and run 3 guards with them, then when Bean goes out he can slide to the F and Dorius or Zapala come in. Or McChesney can sub in for Bean and Horvath stay at the 5.
4's - Bean, McChesney
4/5 - Horvath
5 - Dorius, Zapala
Don't forget about Potter
Can't imagine Potter would come in off a mission and make an immediate impact. But still, is this a player you think we should be excited about?
Merrill and Ashworth made an immediate impact off their mission. I am not saying that Potter will for sure make an immediate impact, but he was pretty highly rated recruit for us. It is fair to say that we take the wait and see approach, but we should not be surprised that he does make an immediate impact.
Interesting, thanks. I couldn't remember the story on him. Was he originally a Smith recruit?
He is a Smith recruit.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 7th, 2021, 4:28 pm

Sorry if this has been mentioned already. Is Potter back from his mission yet? Has he reaffirmed that he's still coming?

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 7th, 2021, 5:20 pm

SLB wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 4:08 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
I don't think we have a glut of big men anymore now that Neemi, Kuba, and Fonz are moving on. We'll need another forward for sure. After watching some of UMBC's film the other night, I would take Horvath in a heartbeat. The guy makes his team better. He plays unselfish and knows how to use space and hit the open guy besides doing some scoring and rebounding himself. He knows what Odom wants on both ends. He also moves well for a 6'10" guy. and averaged 13 pts, 9 rebs, and 2 assists a game last season, which is very Beanesque. I think you start him next to Bean and run 3 guards with them, then when Bean goes out he can slide to the F and Dorius or Zapala come in. Or McChesney can sub in for Bean and Horvath stay at the 5.
4's - Bean, McChesney
4/5 - Horvath
5 - Dorius, Zapala
Can't imagine Potter would come in off a mission and make an immediate impact. But still, is this a player you think we should be excited about?
Merrill and Ashworth made an immediate impact off their mission. I am not saying that Potter will for sure make an immediate impact, but he was pretty highly rated recruit for us. It is fair to say that we take the wait and see approach, but we should not be surprised that he does make an immediate impact.
Interesting, thanks. I couldn't remember the story on him. Was he originally a Smith recruit?
He is a Smith recruit.

Potter looks good. But if he contributes this year, it does not seem like he's gonna be playing the 5 spot if that highlight info was any indication. Seemed much closer to a "big guard" like Bairstow. If Smith likes him and has a bunch of spots to fill at Utah, I could see Smith trying to poach him.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 7th, 2021, 5:25 pm

SLB wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
4's - Bean, McChesney
4/5 - Horvath
5 - Dorius, Zapala
He is a Smith recruit.

He’s a smith recruit? Then I know a few things about him that must be true.

He’s white. He’s not that athletic. He can’t really shoot from the outside. He plays solid defense.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
2004AG

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 7th, 2021, 5:47 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 5:25 pm
SLB wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
4's - Bean, McChesney
4/5 - Horvath
5 - Dorius, Zapala
He is a Smith recruit.

He’s white. He’s not that athletic. He can’t really shoot from the outside. He plays solid defense.
I don’t think Smith recruits are unathletic. They all seem to be able to stay in front of people on defense and can almost all dunk a basketball. We’re not talking Norbert Janicek here.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 7th, 2021, 6:19 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
SLB wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
4's - Bean, McChesney
4/5 - Horvath
5 - Dorius, Zapala
He is a Smith recruit.

Just like Queta, Phonz, Marco, Knight 3, and Bairstow, right? Bairstow is white but I think he's athletic and can shoot pretty well.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 7th, 2021, 6:48 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 6:19 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
SLB wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
4's - Bean, McChesney
4/5 - Horvath
5 - Dorius, Zapala
He is a Smith recruit.

Just like Queta, Phonz, Marco, Knight 3, and Bairstow, right? Bairstow is white but I think he's athletic and can shoot pretty well.
Basically 12 of the 13 players are on our roster for next season Smith left fit the general description I gave.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
gomretat

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 7th, 2021, 7:02 pm

A 5’2” guy who can hit open shots could have won us a tournament game this year.

I’m not saying it to be hard on asworth, Brock or Rollie.

I’m just gonna have confidence in our new coach to bring in the guys he has confidence in that he’s worked with. If he happens to be 5’2” then so be it.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 8th, 2021, 6:10 am

Nothing against these guys but With only 2 spots open currently I would suspect we are aiming a bit higher.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21aggies22

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 8th, 2021, 7:16 am

slcagg wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 6:10 am
Nothing against these guys but With only 2 spots open currently I would suspect we are aiming a bit higher.
Maybe, but I imagine two spots could quickly become 4 spots. If we bring in two grad transfers or JUCOs that are going to steal playing time, someone on the roster will not be happy about the reduced playing time or additional competition.

Odom suggested in his interview with Scotty G and Hans that we’d be looking at both P5 washouts and lower division guys looking to move up.

The 5’2 guy might not get any other takers scholarship-wise, and could end up here as a walk-on, which would be alright.

It also very well could be that guys in Baltimore have no interest in moving to Logan even if we do want them.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » April 8th, 2021, 7:37 am

If we want to be competitive in the MW we need much better talent than the umbc guys.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 8th, 2021, 7:45 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 7:16 am
slcagg wrote:
Maybe, but I imagine two spots could quickly become 4 spots. If we bring in two grad transfers or JUCOs that are going to steal playing time, someone on the roster will not be happy about the reduced playing time or additional competition.

Odom suggested in his interview with Scotty G and Hans that we’d be looking at both P5 washouts and lower division guys looking to move up.

The 5’2 guy might not get any other takers scholarship-wise, and could end up here as a walk-on, which would be alright.

It also very well could be that guys in Baltimore have no interest in moving to Logan even if we do want them.
Sure if we have 4 spots open or strike out elsewhere. The portal is flush with solid guys. Don’t limit yourself. Just my opinion though.

I like the 4 guy listed from umbc but he would likely play backup mins to bean. Not sure that is what we want if we have limited scholarships.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 8th, 2021, 8:00 am

slcagg wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 7:45 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 7:16 am
slcagg wrote:

Sure if we have 4 spots open or strike out elsewhere. The portal is flush with solid guys. Don’t limit yourself. Just my opinion though.

I like the 4 guy listed from umbc but he would likely play backup mins to bean. Not sure that is what we want if we have limited scholarships.
I agree on Horvath. He’s an “add if certain guys leave” guy. But I think I’d give one of the two open schollies to Eytle-Rock if he shakes out.

If we were to sign a grad or JUCO center and Zapala or Dorius were to leave, I’d give a schollie to Horvath. If McChesney leaves or Potter gets poached/isn’t coming anymore — Horvath could fit in there too. You can find a use for a versatile 6’10 player that can score.

All that said, he probably wants a bigger role than we likely could offer and doesn’t want to have to move across the country would be my guess.

And, somewhat off-topic — I love Bean, probably the guy I am most excited to have back, but his “developing” three point shot (a close to necessary skill for a modern 4) makes some roster construction headaches.

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » April 8th, 2021, 8:37 am

Does anybody else hear the Fraggle Rock theme play in their head when Eytle-Rock is mentioned? No? Just me?

Alright, carry on then.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 8th, 2021, 9:16 am

Good luck to Max. Now three open scholarships.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 8th, 2021, 9:18 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 9:16 am

Good luck to him. I thought he showed some promise. It does give us another scholarship to hopefully bring in some scoring and 3 point shooting from the transfer portal.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 8th, 2021, 9:20 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 9:18 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

Good luck to him. I thought he showed some promise. It does give us another scholarship to hopefully bring in some scoring and 3 point shooting from the transfer portal.
Right, he wouldn’t have been my pick to leave, but I think we can find someone that fits a more pressing need.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » April 8th, 2021, 9:24 am

Regarding the 5'3" guy - I don't think height is as important in today's game as it used to be. I mean, ideally you wouldn't be 5'3", of course, but if the dude can shoot and handle, he could be valuable. I think he has proven he can play.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 8th, 2021, 9:41 am

ineptimusprime wrote:

Now that Max (next year's starter) is leaving I'm assuming that Marco will get his starting position back? :stirpot:

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 8th, 2021, 9:58 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 9:18 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

Yeah feel the same. But having 3 spots open is good. Would love to add a quick pg type, long wing and a big man.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » April 8th, 2021, 10:01 am

ineptimusprime wrote:

I sad to see this. Max was one I was excited about. Showed a lot of promise and was getting increased playing time. Was it Smith leaving and new coach, higher expectations on the court or just not a good fit socially for him?

Good luck Max. I’m sorry to see you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 8th, 2021, 10:05 am

scotlandog wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 10:01 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

I sad to see this. Max was one I was excited about. Showed a lot of promise and was getting increased playing time. Was it Smith leaving and new coach, higher expectations on the court or just not a good fit socially for him?

Good luck Max. I’m sorry to see you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm bummed too. I really liked his instincts and defensive aggression. Maybe he's going to Utah, there's space on that roster. I also wonder if Max leaving signals Odom is bringing someone over in the guard spot.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 8th, 2021, 10:23 am

Odom talked a lot about the workouts and in-person evaluations he was going to conduct with the current players in order to help him know what he has and what he needs. Any idea how soon until that will happen? I imagine Odom won’t sign any transfer until after he gets a better pulse on the current roster. Are Bean and Ashworth still gone on vacation? I also wonder if incoming coaches ever consult with the departed coaches on players. That may be an advantage to keeping one of the prior assistants on staff (Ragland or Hansen).

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 8th, 2021, 10:44 am

And thus ends the USU experiment with the Eastern Bloc. Smith took a gamble, doubled down when he was showing an 11, and he drew a 3. You have to be creative and take chances when you are not in the running for the blue-chip players. Best of luck to both Zahar and Max. Both seemed like good people and good ball players. It's too bad it didn't work out at USU. They will join the Adam Thoseberry club of European "projects" in USU lore.

Eutaw St. Aggie

SLB

Post by SLB » April 8th, 2021, 10:59 am

Aggie in Boise wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 9:41 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

Now that Max (next year's starter) is leaving I'm assuming that Marco will get his starting position back? :stirpot:
As I said, sometimes we are right and sometimes we are wrong. I was wrong, but I feel that he had some potential considering how young he is. It would be funny if he was a starter somewhere else.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 8th, 2021, 11:22 am

SLB wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 10:59 am
Aggie in Boise wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 9:41 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

As I said, sometimes we are right and sometimes we are wrong. I was wrong, but I feel that he had some potential considering how young he is. It would be funny if he was a starter somewhere else.
I agree. I'm sad to see him leave. I thought he played great especially given limited minutes. He definitely has a lot of upside!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 8th, 2021, 11:40 am

Yossarian wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 10:44 am
And thus ends the USU experiment with the Eastern Bloc. Smith took a gamble, doubled down when he was showing an 11, and he drew a 3. You have to be creative and take chances when you are not in the running for the blue-chip players. Best of luck to both Zahar and Max. Both seemed like good people and good ball players. It's too bad it didn't work out at USU. They will join the Adam Thoseberry club of European "projects" in USU lore.
Yeah, Zahar and Max were worth a shot. Didn’t pan out, but I’m not mad at Craig for taking a swing.

Zapala is still around. Where’s he from?

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » April 8th, 2021, 11:41 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 11:40 am
Yossarian wrote:
Yeah, Zahar and Max were worth a shot. Didn’t pan out, but I’m not mad at Craig for taking a swing.

Poland I believe
These users thanked the author SpectrumMagic for the post:
aggies22

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 8th, 2021, 11:43 am

SpectrumMagic wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 11:41 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Poland I believe
Yeah, with Zahar and Max gone, Zapala is probably who I’d say is next most likely to leave, followed by McChesney. Just a hunch.

AggieFanNate

Post by AggieFanNate » April 8th, 2021, 11:44 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 11:43 am
SpectrumMagic wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Poland I believe
Yeah, with Zahar and Max gone, Zapala is probably who I’d say is next most likely to leave, followed by McChesney. Just a hunch.
Just because McChesney is from Canada doesn't mean he is gonna follow the Euro's and move out. Plus he has a major chance to take some real time with a new coach.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 8th, 2021, 12:02 pm

AggieFanNate wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
SpectrumMagic wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Poland I believe
Just because McChesney is from Canada doesn't mean he is gonna follow the Euro's and move out. Plus he has a major chance to take some real time with a new coach.
If he sticks around I predict McChesney will see meaningful minutes this next season and then move into the starting rotation the following year....assuming he doesn’t get injured again. Fonz leaving will open a door for Liam. I’m sure Odom will bring in another big but a healthy Liam will bring a unique skill set for a guy with that length.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 8th, 2021, 12:06 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 12:02 pm
AggieFanNate wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
SpectrumMagic wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Poland I believe
If he sticks around I predict McChesney will see meaningful minutes this next season and then move into the starting rotation the following year....assuming he doesn’t get injured again. Fonz leaving will open a door for Liam. I’m sure Odom will bring in another big but a healthy Liam will bring a unique skill set for a guy with that length.
I’m not as bullish on Liam as you guys are. I love the idea of Liam and loved the signing. Maybe injuries really have impeded him that much, but if he really was the vanilla-KD from the North we all thought he was, I think that would have made itself known by now.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Pacobag

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » April 8th, 2021, 12:30 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 12:06 pm
I’m not as bullish on Liam as you guys are. I love the idea of Liam and loved the signing. Maybe injuries really have impeded him that much, but if he really was the vanilla-KD from the North we all thought he was, I think that would have made itself known by now.
Well stated, I feel the same.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 8th, 2021, 12:36 pm

Pacobag wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 12:30 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 12:06 pm
Well stated, I feel the same.
It's tough because we just haven't seen him play. But 6'10'' SG/SF's who average 30 pts per game in HS, just don't grow on trees. He may never pan out but it'd be foolish not to AT LEAST give him the same opportunity/leniency that Miller's has had for the last 3 years.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post (total 3):
3rdGenAggieSLBbrownjeans

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 8th, 2021, 12:44 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:

This is a bummer but he and Barrastow were going to be battling for backup SG/SF minutes next season and I still feel like Sean will ultimately be the better player - assuming he'll ever gain the confidence he needs to play freely and tap into his natural ability.

Locked Previous topicNext topic