UMBC transfer portal list

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

Re: UMBC transfer portal list

Post by SLB » April 8th, 2021, 12:44 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 12:36 pm
Pacobag wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 12:30 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 12:06 pm
I’m not as bullish on Liam as you guys are. I love the idea of Liam and loved the signing. Maybe injuries really have impeded him that much, but if he really was the vanilla-KD from the North we all thought he was, I think that would have made itself known by now.
Well stated, I feel the same.
It's tough because we just haven't seen him play. But 6'10'' SG/SF's who average 30 pts per game in HS, just don't grow on trees. He may never pan out but it'd be foolish not to AT LEAST give him the same opportunity/leniency that Miller's has had for the last 3 years.
Brock Miller before getting hurt last season was a good player.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » April 8th, 2021, 1:01 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 9:16 am

Good luck to Max. Now three open scholarships.
This is a bummer but he and Barrastow were going to be battling for backup SG/SF minutes next season and I still feel like Sean will ultimately be the better player - assuming he'll ever gain the confidence he needs to play freely and tap into his natural ability.
I think Bairstow is going to be leaving, he may not. But, we’ve seen quite a bit from Bairstow, who’s been around a few years, and what we saw year one from Max was probably already better than what we will ever get from Bairstow, unfortunately. I’ve cheered Bairstow on and have waited for improvement. We just haven’t seen anything. I thought he was just a step slow and getting used to the speed of the game but we never saw much change this last season and maybe got worse comparatively to teammates and competition. Max leaving IMO will hurt, he can become a good player and has good size. Bairstow can still become a good player but the window of opportunity is getting smaller. I would take Max at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post:
AggieFBObsession

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 8th, 2021, 2:18 pm

Two scholarships became four scholarships much quicker and painfully than I would have hoped.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 8th, 2021, 2:19 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 2:18 pm
Two scholarships became four scholarships much quicker and painfully than I would have hoped.
Way to rub it in!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 8th, 2021, 2:23 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 2:19 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
Way to rub it in!
We’ve got room for Fraggle Rock, baby!

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 8th, 2021, 2:31 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 12:44 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

This is a bummer but he and Barrastow were going to be battling for backup SG/SF minutes next season and I still feel like Sean will ultimately be the better player - assuming he'll ever gain the confidence he needs to play freely and tap into his natural ability.
Before losing Smith I really would have pegged Bairstow as one of the top guys to enter the portal but with the coaching change I feel like he's perhaps feeling like he's been given new life. His game might translate better to what Odom wants to do.

I agree that confidence seems to be Bairstow's biggest hurdle. He was never given the same leeway as other underclassmen under Smith and his play reflected someone that was timid and afraid to mess up......which caused him to mess up more. He has talent and if he ever wakes up and realizes that he is 6'-8" and plays like it he could be really good.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 8th, 2021, 2:33 pm

Aglicious wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 2:31 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Before losing Smith I really would have pegged Bairstow as one of the top guys to enter the portal but with the coaching change I feel like he's perhaps feeling like he's been given new life. His game might translate better to what Odom wants to do.

I agree that confidence seems to be Bairstow's biggest hurdle. He was never given the same leeway as other underclassmen under Smith and his play reflected someone that was timid and afraid to mess up......which caused him to mess up more. He has talent and if he ever wakes up and realizes that he is 6'-8" and plays like it he could be really good.
Bairstow could do well in a role where he’s not expected to be a primary ball handler. He is a 3 that can shoot and jump. I don’t think he was being used properly.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsession3rdGenAggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 8th, 2021, 3:23 pm

Aglicious wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 2:31 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

You could tell his confidence was totally shot mid way through the year. Obviously a lot had to do with him, but probably not all of it. Bairstow needs to work on hand strength and taking care of the ball. He is a good shooter and a decent defender, but his ball handling needs work. I may be in the minority, but I still have confidence he can become a productive player. Look at Brito with Duryea he was not good at all. In come's Smith and turn Brito into the best glue guy a team could ask for. Maybe Bairstow will be Odom's version of Brito.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
ThunderAggieaggies22

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 8th, 2021, 3:59 pm

It's too bad, but maybe they need to strictly play Bairstow as a 3 and D spot up shooter. Stick him in the corner and let him shoot. If he can't learn to handle well enough to drive, it'll be tough for him to get much more of a role than that.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
BustaMcNutt

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » April 8th, 2021, 4:10 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
Especially when one of them is Worster.

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » April 8th, 2021, 6:34 pm

We're not alone. UNLV's Hamilton has entered the portal.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
aggies22

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 8th, 2021, 11:02 pm

SLB wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
I’m not as bullish on Liam as you guys are. I love the idea of Liam and loved the signing. Maybe injuries really have impeded him that much, but if he really was the vanilla-KD from the North we all thought he was, I think that would have made itself known by now.
It's tough because we just haven't seen him play. But 6'10'' SG/SF's who average 30 pts per game in HS, just don't grow on trees. He may never pan out but it'd be foolish not to AT LEAST give him the same opportunity/leniency that Miller's has had for the last 3 years.
Hmm not really but even so, if it took him 3.5 years to become a "good player" shouldn't Liam who has far more upside, be given that same opportunity and leniency to develop as Miller had?

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 9th, 2021, 4:54 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 11:02 pm
SLB wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Hmm not really but even so, if it took him 3.5 years to become a "good player" shouldn't Liam who has far more upside, be given that same opportunity and leniency to develop as Miller had?
The idea of Liam that we have in our heads has more upside, but I’m not sure the actual Liam does. Liam has had two years to put on weight and get himself on the floor. People claim he’s had injury issues, and maybe that’s true, so he’s got a little leeway. I’m just super skeptical at this point that he’s a difference maker hiding on our bench, but I suppose that’s possible. Considering that a long guy that can hit threes is exactly what we have needed these past two years, it’s concerning and probably telling that he never saw the floor (again, barring injuries). Yes, Liam had gaudy numbers in HS, but there was always a chance that wasn’t gonna translate to D1 considering where he played. I hope he pans out and surprises me, but I am not expecting it.

There’s only one player who chose USU over a P5 offer on our current roster. Would it surprise you to learn that is Brock?

And yes, Brock was really good this year before his injury.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttBLUERUFiO

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 9th, 2021, 6:36 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Miller shot 44% pre injury from 3. And 28% after injury. Yes he was Really good pre injury. For reference Merrill shot 40.8% his senior season from 3. Hey but keep pushing your agenda.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 9th, 2021, 7:55 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
I think that’s a fair point. Miller has gotten more leniency and more opportunity to develop than just about anybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SSaggie

Post by SSaggie » April 9th, 2021, 8:21 am

I don't understand the Miller hate. I think he is a fine player. I can acknowledge that he is a streaky shooter, which is very frustrating. But this talk of Miller having a long leash compared to everyone else seems a bit silly. From my observations, Miller is very fundamental and sticks to the system. He is a role player and not a creator. He is consistent outside of his shooting. There is so much more to consider than shooting when considering a player's value.

Major bummer that Worster is leaving, although I am more disappointed about Shulga leaving. I felt Shulga had a higher ceiling, although as is Worster is currently more valuable. Worster seemed to really have a "winner" mentality which I feel is rare. But Worsters offensive inefficiency was pretty frustrating (as is Millers, amongst others). Frustrations aside, I have been very impressed with Worster.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author SSaggie for the post (total 3):
Aggie in BoisecvalOrangeCountyAggie

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 9th, 2021, 8:23 am

Liam had a season ending injury that occurred right after he had gotten his first playing time early in the season. He sat with a boot on his foot and wheeled around on a scooter for weeks so I'm not sure how he was supposed to get back on the floor and prove anything. Toward the end of the year the boot came off but he never dressed so it's not like he was stuck on the bench and couldn't get in the game. He was not even an option.

Hopefully he returns fully healed and gets a shot to show what he can do.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 3):
slcaggWinkieOrangeCountyAggie

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 9th, 2021, 8:54 am

Aglicious wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 8:23 am
Liam had a season ending injury that occurred right after he had gotten his first playing time early in the season. He sat with a boot on his foot and wheeled around on a scooter for weeks so I'm not sure how he was supposed to get back on the floor and prove anything. Toward the end of the year the boot came off but he never dressed so it's not like he was stuck on the bench and couldn't get in the game. He was not even an option.

Hopefully he returns fully healed and gets a shot to show what he can do.
On the other hand he at least proved to be better at guarding a chair than Jaycee.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
aggies22cval

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 9th, 2021, 1:17 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 6:36 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Miller shot 44% pre injury from 3. And 28% after injury. Yes he was Really good pre injury. For reference Merrill shot 40.8% his senior season from 3. Hey but keep pushing your agenda.
Still a career 34% 3-point shooter. It's great that he FINALLY played decently for 1/2 a season (but never when it mattered) after 3 years of sucking. My point is I'd love to see Liam and maybe Barristow get that same treatment as they will likely be better players.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 9th, 2021, 1:18 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 4:54 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
The idea of Liam that we have in our heads has more upside, but I’m not sure the actual Liam does. Liam has had two years to put on weight and get himself on the floor. People claim he’s had injury issues, and maybe that’s true, so he’s got a little leeway. I’m just super skeptical at this point that he’s a difference maker hiding on our bench, but I suppose that’s possible. Considering that a long guy that can hit threes is exactly what we have needed these past two years, it’s concerning and probably telling that he never saw the floor (again, barring injuries). Yes, Liam had gaudy numbers in HS, but there was always a chance that wasn’t gonna translate to D1 considering where he played. I hope he pans out and surprises me, but I am not expecting it.

There’s only one player who chose USU over a P5 offer on our current roster. Would it surprise you to learn that is Brock?

And yes, Brock was really good this year before his injury.
Liam did too, Kansas State I believe.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 9th, 2021, 1:25 pm

SSaggie wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 8:21 am
I don't understand the Miller hate. I think he is a fine player. I can acknowledge that he is a streaky shooter, which is very frustrating. But this talk of Miller having a long leash compared to everyone else seems a bit silly. From my observations, Miller is very fundamental and sticks to the system. He is a role player and not a creator. He is consistent outside of his shooting. There is so much more to consider than shooting when considering a player's value.

Major bummer that Worster is leaving, although I am more disappointed about Shulga leaving. I felt Shulga had a higher ceiling, although as is Worster is currently more valuable. Worster seemed to really have a "winner" mentality which I feel is rare. But Worsters offensive inefficiency was pretty frustrating (as is Millers, amongst others). Frustrations aside, I have been very impressed with Worster.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Miller also had to hunt shots as our only true three point threat and had the defense's full attention every game. Makes good looks hard to come by.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
OrangeCountyAggie

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » April 9th, 2021, 2:04 pm

Thanks hipster but that is basketball. If you have to pray for the defense not to guard you so you can shoot than you are not helping.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 9th, 2021, 2:18 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 2:04 pm
Thanks hipster but that is basketball. If you have to pray for the defense not to guard you so you can shoot than you are not helping.
My point was making >40% from 3 with the degree of difficulty that he faced is pretty freaking elite. And no, it's bad basketball when coaches can't find at least one other player to help spread the floor. Having just 1 shooter out of 5 players on the floor does not work in the current landscape of basketball and adds even more pressure on the 1 shooter.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 12th, 2021, 1:12 pm

AGGIEinIOWA

UMBC transfer portal list

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 12th, 2021, 1:25 pm

With the less than inspiring new hire for UMBC I imagine we’ll continue to see Retrievers jumping ship. With how many guys we are losing I would be ok with Odom bringing in a few known commodities to provide depth. Still waiting for Eytle-Rock’s name to show up.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 12th, 2021, 1:32 pm

SLB wrote:
April 12th, 2021, 1:12 pm
20% on his 3s. No thanks.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 12th, 2021, 1:37 pm

So I would imagine we'll hear more news on assistants now that UMBC has completed their hire.....
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
aggies22

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 12th, 2021, 1:39 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 12th, 2021, 1:32 pm
SLB wrote:
Yeah, I’d take Eytle-Rock and Horvath. Maybe the Akin guy. Don’t know that anyone else from UMBC could help us much.

usu99

Post by usu99 » April 12th, 2021, 1:41 pm

the fact we haven't had a single person commit is very concerning.

For all of your IT needs send me a PM!!

umbc32244

Post by umbc32244 » April 12th, 2021, 1:44 pm

slcagg wrote:
SLB wrote:
I do understand this, but he is a stud. He's a 6'6 PG with excellent vision and passing ability, and he is one of the best transition finishers I've seen in our conference. Good wing defender, used height/bounce well to grab rebounds in traffic. He also was 2021 America East 6th Man of the Year. I think he would be a good role player in this conference - another guy I wouldn't complain if my alma mater Mizzou took a look at this offseason. More likely, though, he'll go somewhere he can start and play 30+ minutes.

umbc32244

Post by umbc32244 » April 12th, 2021, 1:46 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 12th, 2021, 1:39 pm
slcagg wrote:
SLB wrote:
Yeah, I’d take Eytle-Rock and Horvath. Maybe the Akin guy. Don’t know that anyone else from UMBC could help us much.
My list of who I'd want from UMBC at USU:

Definite Yes

Horvath

Akin

Kennedy

Eytle-Rock

Anyone else 😂
Definite No
These users thanked the author umbc32244 for the post (total 2):
Real Life Aggieaggies22

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 12th, 2021, 1:50 pm

umbc32244 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
SLB wrote:
I do understand this, but he is a stud. He's a 6'6 PG with excellent vision and passing ability, and he is one of the best transition finishers I've seen in our conference. Good wing defender, used height/bounce well to grab rebounds in traffic. He also was 2021 America East 6th Man of the Year. I think he would be a good role player in this conference - another guy I wouldn't complain if my alma mater Mizzou took a look at this offseason. More likely, though, he'll go somewhere he can start and play 30+ minutes.
Mr UMBC. I know he isn’t in the portal ...yet, but what is your scouting report on LJ Owens? Seems like he’s started almost every game the last two seasons. Shot 40% from 3 last season. Doesn’t seem to be much of a distributor or rebounder but maybe can stretch the floor....and hopefully defend?

umbc32244

Post by umbc32244 » April 12th, 2021, 1:56 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 12th, 2021, 1:50 pm
umbc32244 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
SLB wrote:
Mr UMBC. I know he isn’t in the portal ...yet, but what is your scouting report on LJ Owens? Seems like he’s started almost every game the last two seasons. Shot 40% from 3 last season. Doesn’t seem to be much of a distributor or rebounder but maybe can stretch the floor....and hopefully defend?
Good 'catch and shooter' from the perimeter, but he didn't impact the game in many other areas. Didn't see him dribble often, if at all, and not a force on the glass. He was a decent team defender, but also struggled a bit against some of the better guards in the America East. I think he's a quality low mid major player, but would surprise me to see him at USU. Great teammate though, and has a nice shot.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 12th, 2021, 1:58 pm

umbc32244 wrote:
April 12th, 2021, 1:46 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
slcagg wrote:
SLB wrote:

Definite Yes

Horvath

Akin

Kennedy

Eytle-Rock

Anyone else 😂
Definite No
Curious why you are so low on Eytle-Rock?

umbc32244

Post by umbc32244 » April 12th, 2021, 2:06 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 12th, 2021, 1:58 pm
umbc32244 wrote:
April 12th, 2021, 1:46 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
slcagg wrote:
SLB wrote:

Definite Yes

Horvath

Akin

Kennedy

Eytle-Rock

Anyone else 😂
Definite No
Curious why you are so low on Eytle-Rock?
I like Eytle-Rock a lot, and he's improved a ton in 3 seasons, but I worry a bit about his game translating to the high mid major level. He's not very quick for a guard, and he scored a lot of his points using his big frame and size to bully smaller defenders. His jump shot is a bit slow and clunky, making it hard to get clean looks consistently from the perimeter, though he's been working to improve it over time.

I guess I don't doubt he could play a role on USU, but I think his style of play and best skills are best utilized in a league where he can consistently bully his opponents with his stature and not have to defend guards with that quick first step and can beat him off the dribble. Horvath, Akin and Kennedy are all tremendous athletes for their size and positions, and I don't think they would have to adjust their game nearly as much as Eytle-Rock. I would never bet against RJ, though, because he is seemingly always getting better.
These users thanked the author umbc32244 for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOaggies22

Locked Previous topicNext topic