Staff

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie in Boise

Re: Staff

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 17th, 2021, 9:05 am

aggies22 wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 8:50 am
bluegrouse wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 5:48 am
treesap32 wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 1:47 pm
I've been refreshing all day to see anything official from Utah State basketball...

crickets..
Same. Not sure why we’re not announcing staff as they are hired. Matt Henry has already changed his Twitter account to say Utah State Assistant Coach. The silence has been deafening since April 6th (with the exception of the Horvath announcement). Will it hurt us in the long run? Not likely. But it would help instill some confidence/excitement in the short term.
The entire coaching staff is here and working if that matters at all?
It matters. If they've been hired and are working then what's preventing the school from releasing the names of the new coaching staff?

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 17th, 2021, 9:24 am

coolag wrote:Salt Lake City....aka....center of the universe is overrated. And there is absolutely no buzz around our basketball program right now. Do we even have a coach? Just curious.
Why are they so afraid of announcing anything ? I don’t understand the advantage of being so secretive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donman

Post by Donman » April 17th, 2021, 9:28 am

2004AG wrote:
coolag wrote:Salt Lake City....aka....center of the universe is overrated. And there is absolutely no buzz around our basketball program right now. Do we even have a coach? Just curious.
Why are they so afraid of announcing anything ? I don’t understand the advantage of being so secretive.

Most likely HR reasons

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 17th, 2021, 9:32 am

Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Most likely HR reasons

But they’ve been hired according to 22. Wouldn’t HR reasons be applicable until they are hired?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 17th, 2021, 9:42 am

2004AG wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 9:32 am
Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Most likely HR reasons

But they’ve been hired according to 22. Wouldn’t HR reasons be applicable until they are hired?

I believe they can still work in an official capacity but they can't be officially announced until the state of utah completes background checks. There weren't issues at UMBC, so there SHOULDN'T be any worries here. Our coaches getting cleared are last on the list right behind teachers, janitors, and city employees.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » April 17th, 2021, 9:53 am

aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Most likely HR reasons

I believe they can still work in an official capacity but they can't be officially announced until the state of utah completes background checks. There weren't issues at UMBC, so there SHOULDN'T be any worries here. Our coaches getting cleared are last on the list right behind teachers, janitors, and city employees.
Nope. Fire Odom.

These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
ToedrAg

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » April 17th, 2021, 10:08 am

Coaches are on the same list as everyone else. Background checks can take time because of who knows what. Sometimes they get back in a day or two, sometimes it takes a couple of weeks. Not USU's fault.

If they are here and working, what I don't get is why they can't unofficially announce it. Why can't aggies22 just say... so and so is the other guy on staff that has USU ties.

But then again if I'm the one hiring I wouldn't want that out there in case something comes up and you need to hire your 2nd choice.

coolag

Post by coolag » April 17th, 2021, 10:56 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 9:53 am
aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Most likely HR reasons

Nope. Fire Odom.

Thank you for your response jonnyregulatoroffandom.

Regulator of Class

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 17th, 2021, 11:11 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Most likely HR reasons

Nope. Fire Odom.

I don’t really get your Schtick. You’re mad on a fan message board that fans are curious about who is going to be on the coaching staff and wondering why it’s taking so long ?

Donman

Post by Donman » April 17th, 2021, 11:38 am

2004AG wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 11:11 am
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Most likely HR reasons

Nope. Fire Odom.

I don’t really get your Schtick. You’re mad on a fan message board that fans are curious about who is going to be on the coaching staff and wondering why it’s taking so long ?

I think he's mad because we have the same exact thread every time we get a new coach and coaching staff. We know who the coaches are. They are recruiting. Let's see what they do.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 17th, 2021, 11:41 am

2004AG wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Most likely HR reasons

Nope. Fire Odom.

His schtick is posting snarky one liners attacking anyone who brings up anything that isn't ultimate praise on everything associated with the school. He accused me of "pissing on" a few current players because I said the obvious reality that we won't be able to compete for a MW title unless we bring in more talent. I think he sees himself as some above the fray police of the fandom, but many of his responses are the most immature thing I read on here.

The reality is on fan message boards people are going to discuss everything related to the program and that includes being critical at times. Every single message board is like that. There is no message board where fans aren't critical of the program or franchise.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
2004AGSlim80

Donman

Post by Donman » April 17th, 2021, 11:43 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 11:41 am
2004AG wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Most likely HR reasons

Nope. Fire Odom.

His schtick is posting snarky one liners attacking anyone who brings up anything that isn't ultimate praise on everything associated with the school. He accused me of "pissing on" a few current players because I said the obvious reality that we won't be able to compete for a MW title unless we bring in more talent. I think he sees himself as some above the fray police of the fandom, but many of his responses are the most immature thing I read on here.

The reality is on fan message boards people are going to discuss everything related to the program and that includes being critical at times. Every single message board is like that. There is no message board where fans aren't critical of the program or franchise.

He's actually an insider. If people would pay attention to his posts here and on Twitter. I'd pay attention to him. He's telling everyone to relax. As opposed to most on this board, he isn't speculating.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » April 17th, 2021, 11:47 am

LOL. You all don’t handle being criticized on a message board very well. I mean...that’s what we do here.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 17th, 2021, 11:48 am

2004AG wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Most likely HR reasons

Nope. Fire Odom.

He's just having a little fun. Don't be too hard on him my Aggie brothers and sisters.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
crazywookie

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 17th, 2021, 11:48 am

Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Most likely HR reasons

Nope. Fire Odom.

I think he's mad because we have the same exact thread every time we get a new coach and coaching staff. We know who the coaches are. They are recruiting. Let's see what they do.
1- I thought one coach was still unknown ?

2- some fans feel like it’s a missed opportunity to create a buzz and drum up a little excitement and momentum.

3- why is it bad to have this conversation whenever a new coach is hired? Should we be apathetic and not care ?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 17th, 2021, 11:50 am

Blitz79 wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 10:08 am
Coaches are on the same list as everyone else. Background checks can take time because of who knows what. Sometimes they get back in a day or two, sometimes it takes a couple of weeks. Not USU's fault.

If they are here and working, what I don't get is why they can't unofficially announce it. Why can't aggies22 just say... so and so is the other guy on staff that has USU ties.

But then again if I'm the one hiring I wouldn't want that out there in case something comes up and you need to hire your 2nd choice.
I can't say because I've been asked not to. I don't question why I can't spill it immediately? I just do as requested. My sources all know I keep my word. When I get the nod, you'll know!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
crazywookie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 17th, 2021, 11:52 am

Donman wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 11:43 am
2004AG wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Most likely HR reasons

Nope. Fire Odom.

He's actually an insider. If people would pay attention to his posts here and on Twitter. I'd pay attention to him. He's telling everyone to relax. As opposed to most on this board, he isn't speculating.
I actually agree with him on this particular subject. I'm not worried about the assistant coaches. It is just a pattern on pretty much every topic here.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
2004AG

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 17th, 2021, 11:57 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 11:47 am
LOL. You all don’t handle being criticized on a message board very well. I mean...that’s what we do here.

It is fine, but you act like there are all these taboo out of bounds subjects that are brought up on here when in reality, these are standard things fans discuss. As for speculation, that is awesome you are an insider with the program. From your vantage point, some things probably do sound silly when you have more information. Since most of us aren't insiders, speculation is naturally going to be a part of the board.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
2004AG

stang

Post by stang » April 17th, 2021, 1:05 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 9:42 am
2004AG wrote:
Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Most likely HR reasons

This is exactly right. The SID and the athletics department are not allowed to say a word about the coaching hires until they've gone through the entire background check has been conducted and the HR department gives the thumbs up. I know it would be easier to just skip that step to appease impatient fans, but that's how it goes.

Expect official announcements to start rolling in on Monday.
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 2):
GUSaggies22

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 17th, 2021, 1:14 pm

stang wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Most likely HR reasons

This is exactly right. The SID and the athletics department are not allowed to say a word about the coaching hires until they've gone through the entire background check has been conducted and the HR department gives the thumbs up. I know it would be easier to just skip that step to appease impatient fans, but that's how it goes.

Sorry for asking the question. I’m just not versed in the HR department at Utah State university’s hiring process rules and regulations.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 17th, 2021, 1:19 pm

stang wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 1:05 pm
aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Most likely HR reasons

Thanks for the explanation.

Funny that I can get a federal background check done in 20 minutes at Sportsman’s Warehouse to buy a handgun but it takes days or weeks to clear somebody to be an assistant basketball coach. The world we live in.

bullshot

Post by bullshot » April 17th, 2021, 1:30 pm

Fire arms background checks are notoriously quick and superficial. The gunman in Indianapolis went through one last year, and he had an automatic weapon.

GUS

Post by GUS » April 17th, 2021, 2:05 pm

The State backgrounds include some imput from the FBI. That was the slowdown in the process when I worked for the State.

OCDAggie

Post by OCDAggie » April 17th, 2021, 2:47 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 11:48 am
2004AG wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Most likely HR reasons

Nope. Fire Odom.

He's just having a little fun. Don't be too hard on him my Aggie brothers and sisters.
:rock: I'm sure you've won over them sista friends of mine. There's many of them in the Estes Center!

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » April 17th, 2021, 6:03 pm

I don’t get excited or hyped by official announcements of assistant coaches, especially when we’ve already heard the unofficial announcement on this forum. I read the bios of the “rumored” staff on the UMBC website. I also don’t get excited by a bunch of Twitter feeds stating every recruit we swing and miss on. I like to know as early as possible who we sign, but until then, it is usually more negative than positive for me because I see all these players that we failed to get.

Now if we are one of the final 3 schools being considered by a kid like Zion Williamson, that would be great to hear even if we didn’t land the kid.
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post:
brownjeans

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » April 17th, 2021, 9:15 pm

At my place of business, all employees have the extensive background checks. For those coming from in-state who haven't lived out-of state in the past five years, the process currently takes about a month. For those coming from out-of-state, we're currently waiting six weeks to two months. Imagine announcing a hire prior to a background check coming back that revealed something requiring a change of direction. That would be a massive embarrassment to the University and to the hiree. The subsequent meltdown on the board would be epic. I prefer that time elapse for sake of discretion versus the potential public embarrassment. If the staff is here and engaged, which those in the know have hinted at, that's good enough for me. I'd rather the team and the sought recruits know the inside info than me. I'll be in the Spectrum next year regardless of how soon I have all the official details on the new staff.
These users thanked the author cdaAg for the post (total 3):
osuaggieBank ShotStucki

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 17th, 2021, 9:57 pm

Pacobag wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 6:03 pm
I don’t get excited or hyped by official announcements of assistant coaches, especially when we’ve already heard the unofficial announcement on this forum. I read the bios of the “rumored” staff on the UMBC website. I also don’t get excited by a bunch of Twitter feeds stating every recruit we swing and miss on. I like to know as early as possible who we sign, but until then, it is usually more negative than positive for me because I see all these players that we failed to get.

Now if we are one of the final 3 schools being considered by a kid like Zion Williamson, that would be great to hear even if we didn’t land the kid.
I kind of don't like following recruiting, in both sports, cause it sets me up for disappointment in two ways. Either we lose the kid, or if we get excited based on who we beat ouf for someone only to be disappointed with how they perform.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 17th, 2021, 10:15 pm

cdaAg wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 9:15 pm
Imagine announcing a hire prior to a background check coming back that revealed something requiring a change of direction. That would be a massive embarrassment to the University and to the hiree. The subsequent meltdown on the board would be epic.
And depending on what the disqaulifying factor is, there would be an argument over if it should or shouldn't disqualify them, and why it does but other things don't, and how worse things don't. As an example, if a background investigation found that one of the coaches once got charged for public exposure when he was peeing on the side of the road, there would be threads arguing about if pissing on the side of the road is even bad or not, and alot of people arguing back and forth as to if pissing on the side of the road is that big of deal or not.

Rawbirds

Post by Rawbirds » April 26th, 2021, 8:55 pm

Did I miss the announcement for the coach with USU ties or did we pivot a different direction and the staff is complete?

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » April 26th, 2021, 9:13 pm

Rawbirds wrote:
April 26th, 2021, 8:55 pm
Did I miss the announcement for the coach with USU ties or did we pivot a different direction and the staff is complete?

You may have missed it or maybe it hasn’t happened yet! Either way I feel the need to have a tantrum because of both. I just can’t understand why the USU Admin does this to us intolerable and insecure fans. It’s a shame!!

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 27th, 2021, 12:42 pm

More staff added

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 27th, 2021, 12:42 pm

More staff added

browntown

Post by browntown » April 28th, 2021, 2:20 pm

With these latest additions, does anyone know if there will be more staff added or if we have the complete staff? Is there a S&C coach specific to the basketball team? Any other administrative staff? Thanks in advance

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 28th, 2021, 2:55 pm

Smith took Logan Ogden to SLC with him so I imagine we’ll need a new one

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » April 28th, 2021, 3:44 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 28th, 2021, 2:55 pm
Smith took Logan Ogden to SLC with him so I imagine we’ll need a new one
Is "Logan Ogden" really a person's name?

Locked Previous topicNext topic