Not a bad place to be

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Chatman

Not a bad place to be

Post by Chatman » March 27th, 2021, 10:17 am

I think the program is in great shape. Great message to young rising star coaches to know they can come here, be successful, and move to higher paying jobs. We should attract a lot of young coaches with high energy who know that Utah state is a great place for career advancement. I don’t think that is a bad place to be. Better coaches getting hired away then having to fire one.
These users thanked the author Chatman for the post (total 4):
AggieFBObsessiongomretatBLUERUFiOUSU78

FL350Aggie

Re: Not a bad place to be

Post by FL350Aggie » March 27th, 2021, 10:21 am

Good assessment. I’m optimistic, I just hope he doesn’t take players with him.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 27th, 2021, 10:24 am

Just don’t take any players named Rollie, Justin, Marco, Steven, or Brock.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
CastIronAggieMetsJetsAggies

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » March 27th, 2021, 10:46 am

Gents, this whole thing is a great opportunity!!! So excited for the future now where I was dreading next year.

#hornsup!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 27th, 2021, 10:48 am

Blue Sage wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 10:46 am
Gents, this whole thing is a great opportunity!!! So excited for the future now where I was dreading next year.
There are certainly some positives. Smith was not a great recruiter, so I am excited what another coach can do in that area.

We also have a great tradition at USU. Rod Tueller, Larry Eustachey, Stew Morrill and Craig Smith all had success at USU and went to the tournament. We will find another good coach.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
gomretat

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 27th, 2021, 11:06 am

I think it’s a crappy place to be. It feels like my wife just left me for my worst enemy and moved into his house next door.

This simply reinforces the notion that USU is not a peer of Utah. That we are beholden to Utah on its terms as to whether we EVER play them again in basketball or football. We get the table scraps after BYU and Utah have had their pickings. This doesn’t feel like a new beginning, like we felt when Duryea was fired, it feels like a start over. To add to our hope for a bright future should we also wish that Smith take a couple of our best players with him?

Our plan will now be to go poach a coach from a smaller school and make their fans feel as crappy as we do right now — preferably a coach that just signed a long-term contract so the pain in more intense.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post:
Real Life Aggie

gomretat

Post by gomretat » March 27th, 2021, 12:54 pm

Chatman wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 10:17 am
I think the program is in great shape. Great message to young rising star coaches to know they can come here, be successful, and move to higher paying jobs. We should attract a lot of young coaches with high energy who know that Utah state is a great place for career advancement. I don’t think that is a bad place to be. Better coaches getting hired away then having to fire one.
Agreed if we can hang on to our core of players. That is tough in todays transfer portal world.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 27th, 2021, 1:15 pm

utaggies wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 11:06 am
I think it’s a crappy place to be. It feels like my wife just left me for my worst enemy and moved into his house next door.

This simply reinforces the notion that USU is not a peer of Utah. That we are beholden to Utah on its terms as to whether we EVER play them again in basketball or football. We get the table scraps after BYU and Utah have had their pickings. This doesn’t feel like a new beginning, like we felt when Duryea was fired, it feels like a start over. To add to our hope for a bright future should we also wish that Smith take a couple of our best players with him?

Our plan will now be to go poach a coach from a smaller school and make their fans feel as crappy as we do right now — preferably a coach that just signed a long-term contract so the pain in more intense.
Oh yeah it totally sucks that he went to the enemy. I now have to be against a guy who I have been a huge fan of for 3 years.

My point was just USU is bigger than the coach. If we make a good hire we will be a conference champion just as we were under Eustachey, Stew and Mildred Gillars.

lionhead

Post by lionhead » March 27th, 2021, 3:00 pm

utaggies wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 11:06 am

Really...just figuring that out? Utah is a P5 school in arguably the #1 academic conference in the country. They sell out every FB game and have a strong BB tradition. We all may be upset and emotional and not like the way it happened, but Coaching is a business. CS made exactly the best business decision for himself and his family. Any successful coach at USU or any team in our conference, is just a stepping stone to more money and opportunity. It's the MWC...so happy to be in it, but it is what it is.

Go Aggies!!

GUS

Post by GUS » March 27th, 2021, 3:18 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 10:48 am
Blue Sage wrote:
There are certainly some positives. Smith was not a great recruiter, so I am excited what another coach can do in that area.

We also have a great tradition at USU. Rod Tueller, Larry Eustachey, Stew Morrill and Craig Smith all had success at USU and went to the tournament. We will find another good coach.
Not sure why you put Rod Tueller on this list. I would have put Dutch Belnap on there first or LaDell Anderson.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 27th, 2021, 3:22 pm

GUS wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 3:18 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 10:48 am
Blue Sage wrote:

Not sure why you put Rod Tueller on this list. I would have put Dutch Belnap on there first or LaDell Anderson.
Rod Tueller did have some crappy years, but he did make the NCAA tournament 3x. Thus it is fair to include him among coaches that have had success at USU. There have been others that have had success like Belnap and Anderson, but I just included the ones in my lifetime that I remember.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » March 27th, 2021, 3:24 pm

gomretat wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 12:54 pm
Chatman wrote:
Agreed if we can hang on to our core of players. That is tough in todays transfer portal world.
True, although maybe a new coach can bring some solid players with him to replace those that leave.

SLB

Post by SLB » March 27th, 2021, 3:26 pm

Chatman wrote:
Also we got a million for a new coach

Locked Previous topicNext topic