Put yourself in the shoes of the team

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieFBObsession

Put yourself in the shoes of the team

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 27th, 2021, 9:02 am

Imagine being heartbroken after the Texas Tech game. Then you recommit yourself to returning to Utah State under Coach Smith. Then Coach Smith tells you he's not going anywhere. Then you find out from fycking Twitter that he's leaving. :bangwall:

They will bounce back and be better for it, but Coach Smith has embarrassed himself with this move. Yes. He'll make more money. However, he's embarrassed himself because of how disingenuous he has been with the team.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
vegasaggie

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Re: Put yourself in the shoes of the team

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 27th, 2021, 9:06 am

How to have professionally handled this:
1- explain to your coaches and players why you turned the Minnesota job down
2- while stating your plans to return next year let your players know how fluid the business is and that you are always open to listening to offers which would be good for your family.
3- inform your players and coaches when you’re interviewing with Utah so they can at least prepare mentally for the possible move
4- let your players and coaches know once the deal is struck

He did none of these to my knowledge.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » March 27th, 2021, 9:08 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 9:06 am
2- while stating your plans to return next year let your players know how fluid the business is and that you are always open to listening to offers which would be good for your family.
3- inform your players and coaches when you’re interviewing with Utah so they can at least prepare mentally for the possible move

I feel like I have heard him publicly state #2 before.

Where only sage brush grows

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 27th, 2021, 9:11 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

Do you really believe he turned down the Minnesota job? I have a hard time believing if they wanted him to be the guy he wouldn't be their coach right now, especially with the events of today. I don't see him picking Utah over Minnesota.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
bluegrouseIdaAg93

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 27th, 2021, 9:12 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 9:11 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

Do you really believe he turned down the Minnesota job? I have a hard time believing if they wanted him to be the guy he wouldn't be their coach right now, especially with the events of today. I don't see him picking Utah over Minnesota.
Yeah, I don’t see that either. Reports Smith had turned down an interview were mere hours before they announced their guy. He had to know he wasn’t getting that job.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 27th, 2021, 9:13 am

It's extremely obvious he never had a real chance at the Minnesota job. He may have turned down the interview, but I'd bet anything he knew it was for appearances and Minnesota was never going to hire him.

There was more at play with the Minny hire, considering the state's 2020.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiFull

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 27th, 2021, 9:14 am

Yeah he "turned down the interview" when he was told he wasn't getting the job. I have no doubt he would have gone there had they wanted him.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » March 27th, 2021, 9:43 am

I really think the way he treated his team is the stink of it, but I think the ones that stay will have better careers. I believe our AD can hire coaches.
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionGaryTakeTheWheel

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 27th, 2021, 9:48 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

I've been thinking of this further, even if he were interested in handling this professionally, instead of handling it selfishly, he should've told the UofU that if they leaked the inking of the deal to the media before he had a chance to return to Utah State and tell the team, staff and athletic department that he'd rescind the deal.

Completely unprofessionally handled and he's leaving Utah State with a lot of egg on his face.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
vegasaggie

Donman

Post by Donman » March 27th, 2021, 9:50 am

Minnesota was under pressure to make a minority hire because they did not have any minority coaches.

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » March 27th, 2021, 9:59 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 9:48 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

I've been thinking of this further, even if he were interested in handling this professionally, instead of handling it selfishly, he should've told the UofU that if they leaked the inking of the deal to the media before he had a chance to return to Utah State and tell the team, staff and athletic department that he'd rescind the deal.

Completely unprofessionally handled and he's leaving Utah State with a lot of egg on his face.
I think it is the way Utah handled it that made this scenario go bad. Craig is better than this, that is why I agree with this post. As far as Utah goes, they are this.
These users thanked the author IdaAg93 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 27th, 2021, 10:03 am

March 27th, 2021, 9:14 am
Yeah he "turned down the interview" when he was told he wasn't getting the job. I have no doubt he would have gone there had they wanted him.
Couldn’t you say the same thing about Johnnie Bryant removing his name from consideration yesterday? Clearly Smith new very early yesterday he had the job. Almost 24 hours later he hasn’t texted his players.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

stang

Post by stang » March 27th, 2021, 10:03 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

Excellent post, and spot on. Transparency is important in these things, and players get left in the dark far too often. In this case, so did his coaching staff.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 27th, 2021, 10:14 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 10:03 am
Couldn’t you say the same thing about Johnnie Bryant removing his name from consideration yesterday? Clearly Smith new very early yesterday he had the job. Almost 24 hours later he hasn’t texted his players.
Probably. I believe Roy McAvoy said Utah's choices were Alex Jensen and if he turned them down they would go after Craig Smith. I believe that is probably accurate.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 27th, 2021, 10:29 am

March 27th, 2021, 10:14 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Probably. I believe Roy McAvoy said Utah's choices were Alex Jensen and if he turned them down they would go after Craig Smith. I believe that is probably accurate.
I said it on another thread but I think the Alex Jensen offer was to appease the fanbase. I think Smith knew he had the Utah job when he withdrew his name from the Minnesota job.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 27th, 2021, 10:34 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 10:29 am
March 27th, 2021, 10:14 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
I said it on another thread but I think the Alex Jensen offer was to appease the fanbase. I think Smith knew he had the Utah job when he withdrew his name from the Minnesota job.
Yeah Alex Jensen was never coming to Utah. He wants an NBA head coaching job.

As for Craig Smith. I imagine once he knew he wasn't going to get the Minnesota job, he started the process of negotiating with Utah. I think Craig Smith always treated this as his last season. He was an extremely lazy recruiter this past year. He recruited like a guy with his foot out the door.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

AgMac

Post by AgMac » March 27th, 2021, 10:36 am

March 27th, 2021, 9:11 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

No chance he turned down the Minnesota job. It was not offered to him. How do I know? Because I have a brain.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » March 27th, 2021, 3:27 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

Reasonable points, but also consider....

#1. Why tell the players/coaches anything more than, “No, I’m not going to Minnesota. I love the Aggies, Logan, each of you, and I’m looking forward to next season.”

#2. This just casts doubt on his commitment to USU and the team and is inherently obvious anyway.

#3 Why increase the number of people who know about any private interviews? The more people who know, the more issues it creates. If you aren’t selected, it looks like a failure and that returning to USU is your second or third choice and you aren’t 100% committed. Sure players and fans would like to know as soon as possible, but put yourself in his shoes and think about the potential impact if you’re not selected but went around blabbing about the possibility. If I did that at my job, I would probably miss out on a potential raise because they would assume I wanted out anyway. The teams he is talking to also don’t want him blabbing about things until something becomes official.

#4 Yep, I’m sure his new boss wants the news to come from the Twitter account of a Utah State player. Players should be mature enough to know it is a business and these things happen. Of course they may feel resentful or betrayed and I hope he calls and speaks to each of them, but I bet it has been a whirlwind for Smith over the past few days.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 27th, 2021, 3:41 pm

He probably didn’t want to look them in the eyes after what he told them on Monday.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
AggieFBObsession

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 27th, 2021, 3:42 pm

bluegrouse wrote:He probably didn’t want to look them in the eyes after what he told them on Monday.
This is what I think the most likely situation was. He didn't know how to do it so he just left. Amy guilt that he feels will be wiped away with the cash that he's making now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 2):
GUSReal Life Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 27th, 2021, 4:29 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 3:42 pm
bluegrouse wrote:He probably didn’t want to look them in the eyes after what he told them on Monday.
This is what I think the most likely situation was. He didn't know how to do it so he just left. Amy guilt that he feels will be wiped away with the cash that he's making now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
No it won't. Not if he's a human with a heart. Hopefully he regrets it until he dies, because he knew he handled it like total garbage.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 4):
AggieFBObsessionflying_scotsman2.0aggieguy13BLUERUFiO

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 27th, 2021, 4:45 pm

Pacobag wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 3:27 pm
Paco. REALLY? Once again, I've said it may times this morning, you don't have to tell them you're interviewing, but you DON'T tell them that you're not leaving when you know it's a possibility. You tell them that it's possible that you leave. You don't give them assurances that you don't have.

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » March 27th, 2021, 4:54 pm

GA all over again. Maybe Smith won't crash and burn.

No class in coaching anymore. I'm not sure how any of these coaches ever get kids to buy into their BS. They must be very good salespeople. The profession will be right up there with used car peddlers soon in my eyes.
These users thanked the author AGNUMPI for the post:
MrBiggle

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 27th, 2021, 5:14 pm

AGNUMPI wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 4:54 pm
GA all over again. Maybe Smith won't crash and burn.
At least Gary took the time to call each player.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
MrBiggle

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » March 27th, 2021, 5:39 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 4:45 pm
Pacobag wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 3:27 pm
Paco. REALLY? Once again, I've said it may times this morning, you don't have to tell them you're interviewing, but you DON'T tell them that you're not leaving when you know it's a possibility. You tell them that it's possible that you leave. You don't give them assurances that you don't have.
Did he say he wasn’t leaving, he wasn’t planning to leave, he expected to be at USU next year.... What were his exact words?

I assume he had a private discussion with Minnesota and eventually found out they were going a different direction. He heard some of his staff/players were hearing rumors that he was leaving for Minnesota?

Of course he should tell them he isn’t going to Minnesota and he was planning to return to USU next season. I’m sure that would be his plan A until a “better” offer was officially given. How would it help the USU basketball program or Craig for him to tell players and coaches that he was being heavily courted and would jump ship given the right opportunity? Existing players may decide to enter the transfer portal. It could hurt recruiting. It makes him and the program look less professional.

It is inherently obvious that it is a possibility for successful coaches to take another opportunity. It goes without saying. If the head coach starts talking about it, I believe it will only do damage.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » March 27th, 2021, 5:47 pm

What Coach Smith may have said: No, I’m not going to Minnesota. I expect to be the head coach at USU next season.

What the players heard: Coach Smith isn’t leaving.

What some of you think Craig should have said: Right now I’m the head coach at USU, but over the past few weeks I’ve been contacted by multiple teams and if the right opportunity is officially offered, I’m sorry but I’ll be moving on.

What the players hear: Coach Smith is leaving

Which communication is better and why?
For the program?
For the players?
For coach Smith?
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post:
GaryTakeTheWheel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic