Coaching candidates

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: Coaching candidates

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 2nd, 2021, 9:53 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 7:29 am
aggies22 wrote:
cval wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 12:00 am
Which one of Koncal and Odom stinks?
I actually found those two names encouraging.
I am struggling to understand what the expectations are around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From reading the board, 90% of people here would be fine with Konkol or Odom. You will always have a few outliers that if we aren't getting a guy with three Sweet Sixteens on his resume it is a failure, just as you'll have people like StanfordAggie on the other side that thinks the Skyview assistants are too good for us.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21BustaMcNutt

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » April 2nd, 2021, 9:54 am

ShowMeAggie wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 9:43 am
this IS the basketball forum, you know...

count me as underwhelmed by both Konkol and Odom, but maybe its because JH plays up the candidate pool so much. Konkol's interviews sound just "meh". Odom seems to have a little more pizzazz, i just thought we might draw interest from others associated with programs just a little higher on the rung. i know we've debated this in the past, but i personally would also like someone that at least has the appearance that they might settle down and stay a while, even if they have success, and I don't get that from either of these guys' bios. please, Please, PLEASE reassure me that our interview pool is bigger than just these three. and if so, SOMEBODY has to be able to leak a name or three more? Thanks in advance...I'll just wait right here for those names...
I know next to nothing about what is going on with this coaching search but I am certain that there are more candidates than what has been mentioned here Hartwell did not identify all of his finalists for the job in a mere 48-72 hours. On top of that it is entirely possible that the candidates mentioned early in this search are not serious candidates at all. Some names get leaked out there to motivate their current employers to give them a raise. Otheres by agents playing whatever games they play.

Did we not learn anything from the last two coaching searches? Did anybody hear anything about Craig Smith and Blake Anderson until literally hours before they were hired?
Last edited by Aggieiester on April 2nd, 2021, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Aggieiester for the post:
AGinNEIowa

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 2nd, 2021, 9:56 am

ShowMeAggie wrote:

count me as underwhelmed by both Konkol and Odom, but maybe its because JH plays up the candidate pool so much. Konkol's interviews sound just "meh". Odom seems to have a little more pizzazz, i just thought we might draw interest from others associated with programs just a little higher on the rung. i know we've debated this in the past, but i personally would also like someone that at least has the appearance that they might settle down and stay a while, even if they have success, and I don't get that from either of these guys' bios. please, Please, PLEASE reassure me that our interview pool is bigger than just these three. and if so, SOMEBODY has to be able to leak a name or three more? Thanks in advance...I'll just wait right here for those names...
I think either of Konkol or Odom would be solid hires. I don't think they are these splash hires, but quite frankly neither was Smith. Realistically our options are to find a P5 guy that was let go for not performing to expectations, but is still a good coach, a successful coach from the G5 or an assistant from a P5 conference.

I would love to have someone like Alford who was let go at UCLA even though he had performed decent there, but I just don't see that this year. I think getting a solid coach from a G5 school that has shown he can win and be successful as well as have the scrappiness and desire to move up is where I prefer we land. I would be fine with a good assistant, but it is always nice to have a coach with prior head coaching experience. I do hope that Hartwell considers Stan Johnson as I think he could have the potential to be a home run hire.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
LoveMyAggies

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 2nd, 2021, 9:57 am

ShowMeAggie wrote:

What is underwhelming about them? They both impressive resumes. As for Odom, when was the last time we hired a coach who had won an NCAA tournament game? The only worry about Odom is he has never coached anywhere but the east coach. I do believe great coaches pick things up and adapt to where they are though. Urban Meyer had never coached near Florida, yet was very successful there.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 2nd, 2021, 10:05 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 9:56 am
ShowMeAggie wrote:

I think either of Konkol or Odom would be solid hires. I don't think they are these splash hires, but quite frankly neither was Smith. Realistically our options are to find a P5 guy that was let go for not performing to expectations, but is still a good coach, a successful coach from the G5 or an assistant from a P5 conference.

I would love to have someone like Alford who was let go at UCLA even though he had performed decent there, but I just don't see that this year. I think getting a solid coach from a G5 school that has shown he can win and be successful as well as have the scrappiness and desire to move up is where I prefer we land. I would be fine with a good assistant, but it is always nice to have a coach with prior head coaching experience. I do hope that Hartwell considers Stan Johnson as I think he could have the potential to be a home run hire.
I'd be fine with Odom or Konkol as I've stated. I think they would both win at USU. I am starting to jump on the Stan Johnson bandwagon though. He seems like a coach that is about to break out. If he stays at LMU, the evidence points that he is going to be doing great things. He'll have a ton of offers in a few years. If we could steal him now, we could be finding the gold before everyone else sees it. It would be like investing in bitcoin 10 years ago.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 2nd, 2021, 10:10 am

cval wrote:
While maybe not stinky, Odom has me feeling kind of meh. Look at his total body of work and look for other coaches with similar results and you can find a dozen coaches at small schools in small conferences with comparable or better resumes.

NHAggie
Pick'em Champ - '15 Bowls, '19 Kickoff

Post by NHAggie » April 2nd, 2021, 10:50 am

If the three known candidates are the only three under consideration , it’s Konkol followed by Odum. I pretty sure there are other coaches under consideration. There are some coaches from “smaller” conferences that are impressive , such as Bob Richey at Furman.

Do or do not...There is no try (Yoda)

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » April 2nd, 2021, 10:51 am

No, Craig Smith's resume looked pretty "meh" also, but he had his "schtick" going for him (TWSS?)...CS was hired as much (more?) for his interview and people skills as he was for his resume. Konkol and Odom have decent pedigrees, a smattering of awards, and histories of reasonable (not amazing) success. Plus their personas (personae?) project as a little..."bland", at least on cameras. now I'll fully admit that NONE of these disqualify either of them for the job. I think I would even be "okay" with either of them. The thought of either of them at the helm of USU Bball just doesn't get me very excited like I was with CS even before he was hired.

Tim Miles was national coach of the year 6-7 years ago. not sure I'm excited about him yet either, but the guy knows how to coach. And speaking of the Coach of the Year Award, I'm not sure I had seen it mentioned that Todd Simon won the NATIONAL award this year...that's an additional feather in his cap, to be sure. That dude knows how to coach and motivate and turn a program around too. and he's right in our back yard! Right now, I'm highest on Stan Johnson for reasons I've already spelled out (along with @slcagg, who I unknowingly pirated my SJ sales pitch from!). I just hope/wish there are/were some more names to get EXCITED about in our pool, as opposed to feeling we'd (ok I'd) be just alright with it...

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 2nd, 2021, 10:58 am

ShowMeAggie wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 10:51 am
No, Craig Smith's resume looked pretty "meh" also, but he had his "schtick" going for him (TWSS?)...CS was hired as much (more?) for his interview and people skills as he was for his resume. Konkol and Odom have decent pedigrees, a smattering of awards, and histories of reasonable (not amazing) success. Plus their personas (personae?) project as a little..."bland", at least on cameras. now I'll fully admit that NONE of these disqualify either of them for the job. I think I would even be "okay" with either of them. The thought of either of them at the helm of USU Bball just doesn't get me very excited like I was with CS even before he was hired.

Tim Miles was national coach of the year 6-7 years ago. not sure I'm excited about him yet either, but the guy knows how to coach. And speaking of the Coach of the Year Award, I'm not sure I had seen it mentioned that Todd Simon won the NATIONAL award this year...that's an additional feather in his cap, to be sure. That dude knows how to coach and motivate and turn a program around too. and he's right in our back yard! Right now, I'm highest on Stan Johnson for reasons I've already spelled out (along with @slcagg, who I unknowingly pirated my SJ sales pitch from!). I just hope/wish there are/were some more names to get EXCITED about in our pool, as opposed to feeling we'd (ok I'd) be just alright with it...
Deep down I have a sneaky suspicion it is going to be somebody we haven't even discussed. It will send us all into Google-fever trying to find out anything and everything there is to know. In the end, half of us will be underwhelmed and complain and the other half of us will comment on how sick they are of watching Aggie fans complain about everything. It's what we do.
:utah: :state:
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
cvalbrownjeans

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 2nd, 2021, 11:03 am

ShowMeAggie wrote:

I actually like the vast majority of the names hired. We are a good job and a good coach can win at USU. If it is Konkol, Odom, Johnson or even Simon I'll be fine with the future of Aggie basketball. I don't want Randy Rahe and there is zero percent chance it will be him, but at the same time he would probably even do a competent job. As long as we don't do something ridiculous like get Conroy we'll be fine. Tim Miles would also be a big question mark. Could he actually have sustained success at a program over several years? I don't know.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 2nd, 2021, 11:36 am

ShowMeAggie wrote:No, Craig Smith's resume looked pretty "meh" also, but he had his "schtick" going for him (TWSS?)...CS was hired as much (more?) for his interview and people skills as he was for his resume. Konkol and Odom have decent pedigrees, a smattering of awards, and histories of reasonable (not amazing) success. Plus their personas (personae?) project as a little..."bland", at least on cameras. now I'll fully admit that NONE of these disqualify either of them for the job. I think I would even be "okay" with either of them. The thought of either of them at the helm of USU Bball just doesn't get me very excited like I was with CS even before he was hired.

Yeah I think Simon would be a great hire. He’s being underrated around here. Hopefully he’s a least in the mix.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
3rdGenAggie

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » April 2nd, 2021, 11:50 am

ShowMeAggie wrote:

I thought Craig Smiths resume looked great as he had a nice trajectory everywhere he coached. What makes you say it was meh?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 2nd, 2021, 12:48 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 11:50 am
ShowMeAggie wrote:

I thought Craig Smiths resume looked great as he had a nice trajectory everywhere he coached. What makes you say it was meh?
At South Dakota he was 79-55 for a .590 winning record. Certainly not a bad record, but also not one that jumps off the board. Included in that was a losing record in his 2nd season. He also never qualified for the NCAA tournament. He did go to the NIT and CBI, but lost in the first round of both. Don't get me wrong Craig was awesome at USU.

GUS

Post by GUS » April 2nd, 2021, 1:06 pm

Simon is a big meh for me. Hasn't even hit 20 wins at suu.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 2nd, 2021, 1:13 pm

GUS wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 1:06 pm
He went 20-4 last year and won the Big Sky regular season title. He has turned around a garbage program and made them great. They will be great next year too. He will get a bigger job. If it isn't us, it will be someone else that snags him after next season and he'll do well either here or there.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
ChowderAggie

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » April 2nd, 2021, 1:19 pm

Aglicious wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 10:58 am

Deep down I have a sneaky suspicion it is going to be somebody we haven't even discussed. It will send us all into Google-fever trying to find out anything and everything there is to know. In the end, half of us will be underwhelmed and complain and the other half of us will comment on how sick they are of watching Aggie fans complain about everything. It's what we do.
:utah: :state:
This man can see the future
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post:
Winkie

GUS

Post by GUS » April 2nd, 2021, 1:25 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 1:13 pm
GUS wrote:
He went 20-4 last year and won the Big Sky regular season title. He has turned around a garbage program and made them great. They will be great next year too. He will get a bigger job. If it isn't us, it will be someone else that snags him after next season and he'll do well either here or there.
On the Suu website it shows 19 wins last season. Just looked again they've updated it to 20. Still no too impressive in that conference.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 2nd, 2021, 1:30 pm

GUS wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 1:25 pm
April 2nd, 2021, 1:13 pm
GUS wrote:
On the Suu website it shows 19 wins last season.
They finished 20-4 after the Big Sky tournament, but I don't see how 19-3 isn't impressive. In a regular season, SUU goes 27-5 or something along those lines.

SUU has historically been a terrible program. Their coach before Simon, Nick Robinson had a winning percentage of 28%. Roger Reid who was a decent coach at byu, failed miserably at SUU. Their longest tenured coach and the only other coach before Simon to be at the top of a conference was there 15 years and had an overall losing record. What Simon has done is impressive. UNLV really blew it by not getting him.

As for your point that it isn't that impressive in the conference, I don't know, being at the top of the conference seems impressive. Yeah they didn't get it done in their conference tournament, but that doesn't take away the great season they had or the great turnaround he has produced. It doesn't look like we are going after Simon, but I bet after SUU has another great season next year somebody grabs him.
Last edited by Aggie formerly in Hawaii on April 2nd, 2021, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 2nd, 2021, 1:35 pm

Yeah I would take Simon. But if we do not take him I hope he stays at SUU for a long time (he won't) I have no connection to SUU but I like it when they do well, for some reason.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 2nd, 2021, 4:52 pm

Well, doesn’t look like we’re gonna have a new coach by the end of the week.....

Of course, I thought Smith was staying at this time last Friday too so I guess things can change in a hurry.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » April 2nd, 2021, 5:00 pm

John did say it might take 2 weeks or more, during his Zoom call with the media.

I don't recall...was Blake Anderson on the forum list of potential HC candidates after Gary was fired? I remember feeling surprised by that one.

Sadly, I have to face the reality that it doesn't matter one iota what I think or who I want. John will hire who wants to. Jerk! :)

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 2nd, 2021, 5:05 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 7:13 am
cval wrote:
I actually found those two names encouraging.
Those two are in my top 3. The other one is Pasternak, but I think he is a long shot. I don’t know for sure, but I don’t think he is in Our AD’s final three.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 2nd, 2021, 5:14 pm

2004AG wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 11:36 am
ShowMeAggie wrote:No, Craig Smith's resume looked pretty "meh" also, but he had his "schtick" going for him (TWSS?)...CS was hired as much (more?) for his interview and people skills as he was for his resume. Konkol and Odom have decent pedigrees, a smattering of awards, and histories of reasonable (not amazing) success. Plus their personas (personae?) project as a little..."bland", at least on cameras. now I'll fully admit that NONE of these disqualify either of them for the job. I think I would even be "okay" with either of them. The thought of either of them at the helm of USU Bball just doesn't get me very excited like I was with CS even before he was hired.

Yeah I think Simon would be a great hire. He’s being underrated around here. Hopefully he’s a least in the mix.

I would hope he would be higher than “least” in the mix. :joking:

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 2nd, 2021, 5:23 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 5:00 pm
John did say it might take 2 weeks or more, during his Zoom call with the media.

I don't recall...was Blake Anderson on the forum list of potential HC candidates after Gary was fired? I remember feeling surprised by that one.

Sadly, I have to face the reality that it doesn't matter one iota what I think or who I want. John will hire who wants to. Jerk! :)
Didn’t he say “by the end of next week?” That would mean about a week from now.
I think it would only be fair for the NCAA to freeze the transfer portal until we announce a new coach. :rock: :rock:

AGGIEinIOWA

Coaching candidates

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 2nd, 2021, 5:24 pm

I haven’t heard many folks suggest this guy. I think Darian Devries would be a good candidate but not sure we could peel him away from Drake.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 2nd, 2021, 5:35 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 5:05 pm
The other one is Pasternak, but I think he is a long shot. I don’t know for sure, but I don’t think he is in Our AD’s final three.
I like Pasternak. I like Turner at UCI too.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 2nd, 2021, 5:46 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 5:23 pm
newhouse9 wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 5:00 pm

Didn’t he say “by the end of next week?” That would mean about a week from now.
I think it would only be fair for the NCAA to freeze the transfer portal until we announce a new coach. :rock: :rock:
I thought he said by the end of the week, meaning this week but I may have heard or read it wrong. Two weeks certainly isn’t unreasonable. Need to get the right guy. But getting the right guy sooner rather than later would be nice lol.

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » April 2nd, 2021, 6:57 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 9:56 am
ShowMeAggie wrote:

I agree Stan Johnson looks like a potential solid candidate, Me personally I prefer a coach who has already made it to the NCAA tournament, multiple times even better, ie Tulane's Ron Hunter, before he left Georgia state he had won ~65% of his games and has tournament wins there.

I also think he might do better at USU than Tulane with our crowd and potentially hire different assistants than he has now. These are my personal opinions take them with a grain of salt.

NHAggie
Pick'em Champ - '15 Bowls, '19 Kickoff

Post by NHAggie » April 2nd, 2021, 7:44 pm

In looking at potential head coaches for USU and try to figure what characteristics JH is looking for. I think the next USU HC will come this list.
Matt Langel Cogate
Rob Richey Furnan
Eric Konkol La Tech
Casey Alexander Belmont
Matt McMahon Murray St
Ryan Odom UMBC

These are all from lesser known conferences and most have some post season experiences. What list of coaches do you think our next coachwill come from.

Do or do not...There is no try (Yoda)

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 2nd, 2021, 7:59 pm

NHAggie wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 7:44 pm
In looking at potential head coaches for USU and try to figure what characteristics JH is looking for. I think the next USU HC will come this list.
Matt Langel Cogate
Rob Richey Furnan
Eric Konkol La Tech
Casey Alexander Belmont
Matt McMahon Murray St
Ryan Odom UMBC

These are all from lesser known conferences and most have some post season experiences. What list of coaches do you think our next coachwill come from.
I've brought Casey Alexander up a couple of times, he would be my top choice from that list but there is no way we pry him from Belmont. Mostly because he already makes about what we can offer.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 2nd, 2021, 8:22 pm

brownjeans wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 5:35 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
The other one is Pasternak, but I think he is a long shot. I don’t know for sure, but I don’t think he is in Our AD’s final three.
I know we don't know everything, but unless Pasternak has turned us down, he should be one of the top targets. Disappointed to hear he wasn't one of the "illustrious 3."
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
brownjeans

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 2nd, 2021, 8:36 pm

April 2nd, 2021, 8:22 pm
brownjeans wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 5:35 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
I know we don't know everything, but unless Pasternak has turned us down, he should be one of the top targets. Disappointed to hear he wasn't one of the "illustrious 3."

What you guys don’t know is the FBI has verified footage of Pasternak coordinating player payments through an agent at university of Arizona. He’s as dirty as can be & there’s proof.

He’s not getting hired.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on April 2nd, 2021, 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
Intermeddler

bigblue32
Pick'em Champ - '23 FB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue32 » April 2nd, 2021, 8:39 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 8:36 pm
What you guys don’t know is the FBI has verified footage of Pasternak coordinating player payments through an agent at university of Arizona. He’s as dirty as can be & there’s proof.

He’s not getting hired.
and yet nothing seems to be happening to Arizona’s coach or Andy enfield at usc or LSU’s coach.... I wouldn’t be shocked if he were offered and hired

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 2nd, 2021, 8:53 pm

bigblue32 wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 8:39 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:

He’s not getting hired.
and yet nothing seems to be happening to Arizona’s coach or Andy enfield at usc or LSU’s coach.... I wouldn’t be shocked if he were offered and hired
Things will get quite bad for Arizona (and Kansas) before this is all over. Guaranteed.

It would make no sense to hire Pasternak with so many other good candidates with no baggage. Just the truth.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 2nd, 2021, 9:03 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 8:53 pm
bigblue32 wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 8:39 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:

He’s not getting hired.
Things will get quite bad for Arizona (and Kansas) before this is all over. Guaranteed.

It would make no sense to hire Pasternak with so many other good candidates with no baggage. Just the truth.
I'll believe it when I see it. Kansas just gave Bill Self a lifetime contract. For whatever reason they don't seem that worried.

Locked Previous topicNext topic