Just here for the meltdown

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Agzrule

Re: Just here for the meltdown

Post by Agzrule » March 27th, 2021, 8:01 am

stwinward wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 7:55 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 7:50 am
USUstudent13 wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 7:44 am
I feel bad for the players most of all. Seems like they were strung along pretty hard with this one.
They always are right? Coaches are mercenaries. I don’t fault Smith for cashing in on his hard work, and he knows it benefits his staff too, but I do fault him for reassuring his players he was staying just 5 days ago.
We should learn by now, anytime a coach doubles down that he's staying, it usually means he's currently negotiating his next contract.

Next man up. Let's find our new coach and keep it going.

I also don't fault Smith for seeing next year without Queta and thinking it's now or a few years from now for his payday. Queta was a beast for us that made anyone look good.
The cupboard is more bare than when he arrived, the guy never even beat byu, We’ve been thru this scenario so many times now that we should know the program is bigger than any coach, we will probably be going thru this again in 3-4 years. I know everyone here loves Craig but he is replaceable and hopefully the next guy actually recruits!
These users thanked the author Agzrule for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionvegasaggie

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 27th, 2021, 8:02 am

Agzrule wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 8:01 am
stwinward wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
USUstudent13 wrote:
I feel bad for the players most of all. Seems like they were strung along pretty hard with this one.
They always are right? Coaches are mercenaries. I don’t fault Smith for cashing in on his hard work, and he knows it benefits his staff too, but I do fault him for reassuring his players he was staying just 5 days ago.
We should learn by now, anytime a coach doubles down that he's staying, it usually means he's currently negotiating his next contract.

I also don't fault Smith for seeing next year without Queta and thinking it's now or a few years from now for his payday. Queta was a beast for us that made anyone look good.
The cupboard is more bare than when he arrived, the guy never even beat byu, We’ve been thru this scenario so many times now that we should know the program is bigger than any coach, we will probably be going thru this again in 3-4 years. I know everyone here loves Craig but he is replaceable and hopefully the next guy actually recruits!
*Loved
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 3):
flying_scotsman2.0AggieFBObsessionbluegrouse

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

apo

Post by apo » March 27th, 2021, 8:05 am

Oh the price of success when you’re a mid-major
These users thanked the author apo for the post:
Real Life Aggie

OGaggie23

Post by OGaggie23 » March 27th, 2021, 8:09 am

UStateTim
Has thanked: 0

Post by UStateTim » March 27th, 2021, 8:12 am

He could have gotten such a better job. That’s what blows my mind about this. Money is one thing, but sustainability is another. It’s a bottom third Pac 12 job. I hope the buyout is worth it

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » March 27th, 2021, 8:15 am

Man, I will be grateful for Smith and all he’s done here. But you have to feel for the players, wasn’t it just days ago he was telling all of them that “he isn’t going anywhere!” The never ending coaching changes are exhausting. I won’t be able to wish him well if he ends up in SLC.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 27th, 2021, 8:17 am

apo wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 8:05 am
Oh the price of success when you’re a mid-major
We didn’t enough out of the Craig Smith era.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
bigblue32

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 27th, 2021, 8:26 am

Here's the issue. The program is in a better place than when he took over (hopefully leads to some nice candidates), but the talent on the roster is worse. Next year is going to be a full, from the ground up, rebuild.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 3):
BLUERUFiOhipsterdoofus21Full

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

bpd

Post by bpd » March 27th, 2021, 8:28 am

F*ck Craig Smith.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in Hawaiivegasaggie

NikeRunner

Post by NikeRunner » March 27th, 2021, 8:31 am

Mockingherd wrote:Final details of the contract are being negotiated.

Smith is gone.
Just here as to not shed Aggie tears alone. ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author NikeRunner for the post (total 2):
bigblue323rdGenAggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 27th, 2021, 8:33 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 8:26 am
Here's the issue. The program is in a better place than when he took over (hopefully leads to some nice candidates), but the talent on the roster is worse. Next year is going to be a full, from the ground up, rebuild.
Assuming we can hold on to Bean, Worster, and Anthony, I still like the core, and actually trust someone not named Craig Smith to surround those guys with the right pieces.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieAggieFBObsession

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » March 27th, 2021, 8:35 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
IF you could criticize Smith in one thing it would be recruiting. With the exception of Queta, Duryea’s staff had him beat in that category.

With that being said, the transfer portal works both ways. Smith will cherry pick some of our players (Worster, Bean..), and in return the new staff will bring some of their guys.
These users thanked the author SwaggieAggie for the post:
3rdGenAggie

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » March 27th, 2021, 8:36 am

I’m trying to have hope until this is official. Right now this feels a lot like Minnesota, I don’t care what the “talking heads” say. Give us a dang official announcement, let’s end this.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 27th, 2021, 8:38 am

FL350Aggie wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 8:36 am
I’m trying to have hope until this is official. Right now this feels a lot like Minnesota, I don’t care what the “talking heads” say. Give us a dang official announcement, let’s end this.
Minny was a small fire of dry sticks amount of smoke. This is a full mountain of tires on fire amount of smoke.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 27th, 2021, 8:39 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 8:33 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Assuming we can hold on to Bean, Worster, and Anthony, I still like the core, and actually trust someone not named Craig Smith to surround those guys with the right pieces.
This is true. Program perception is much improved. But the roster is not looking great and really outside of Queta and Anthony, Smith wasn’t having a ton of success recruiting difference makers. He was fortunate to have had Merrill to lean on for 2 years. Without Merrill we don’t make the tourney finals those first 2 years no matter how good of a motivator and developer Smith has proven to be.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsession3rdGenAggie

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » March 27th, 2021, 8:40 am

SwaggieAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 8:35 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
IF you could criticize Smith in one thing it would be recruiting. With the exception of Queta, Duryea’s staff had him beat in that category.

With that being said, the transfer portal works both ways. Smith will cherry pick some of our players (Worster, Bean..), and in return the new staff will bring some of their guys.
Wasn’t Bean a Duryea walk-on/recruit?

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » March 27th, 2021, 8:41 am

Espn has reported it. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ources-say

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » March 27th, 2021, 8:42 am

If Smith is gone, let’s hire a guy that’s from Utah. Leaving USU for Utah just seems completely wrong on so many levels.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 27th, 2021, 8:43 am

SwaggieAggie wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

Smith signed the 1, 2, 6, 7, and 15th highest rated recruits in school history and none were queta.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 27th, 2021, 8:49 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 8:43 am
SwaggieAggie wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

Smith signed the 1, 2, 6, 7, and 15th highest rated recruits in school history and none were queta.

So, I don’t have anything to back this up other than my recollection, but it sure seems to me there are a lot fewer 2-star rated recruits listed in the recruiting databases than in prior years. It seems everyone is at least a three star, or gets rated as a three star if not rated. Maybe some Gen Z special snowflake inflation going on here.

Curious who they are though. I am a lot more interested in how they actually played.

I’d guess three are Bairstow, Zapala, and McChesney and none of them are Rollie Worster. There’s only 1 of those 4 that I care is on the roster next year.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 27th, 2021, 8:51 am

Benedict Arnold, Robert E Lee, Mildred Gillars, John Walker Lindh and now add Craig Smith to the list of famous traitors. I could have cared less had he gone to Minnesota or Marquette, but you don't go to the enemy. I hope he fails and fails hard.

NikeRunner

Just here for the meltdown

Post by NikeRunner » March 27th, 2021, 8:52 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:
SwaggieAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 8:35 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:

Wasn’t Bean a Duryea walk-on/recruit?
Yes, he was.

Last edited by NikeRunner on March 27th, 2021, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

freakboy

Post by freakboy » March 27th, 2021, 8:53 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 7:46 am
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 7:42 am
This seems quite unlike Smith. When he took the job at USU, he didn't just jump in and sign a contract in the middle of the night... Sounds like it's more and more likely, but man, what a weird turn of events.

That being said, I hope the U continues to eat crap forever.
I remember Smith’s departure from USD being a bit “thief in the nightish” as well.
It’s different when we do it.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 27th, 2021, 8:53 am

aggieguy13 wrote:Really disappointing that after all the good work he did here the best he could do was a middling program in the 6th best power conference. Hopefully this job isn't a dead end job for him, he's got a lot of potential.
Oh. I hope it’s such a dead end job he never coaches again.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
NowhereLandAggie3rdGenAggie

CastIronAggie

Post by CastIronAggie » March 27th, 2021, 8:58 am

freakboy wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 8:53 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
This seems quite unlike Smith. When he took the job at USU, he didn't just jump in and sign a contract in the middle of the night... Sounds like it's more and more likely, but man, what a weird turn of events.

I remember Smith’s departure from USD being a bit “thief in the nightish” as well.
Who are USDs top two most hated schools? Is USU one of them?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 27th, 2021, 9:00 am

CastIronAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 8:58 am
freakboy wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Who are USDs top two most hated schools? Is USU one of them?
Yep this is 100% different. I would have felt it was business as usual and wished him well had he gone to Minnesota. You don't go to the enemy. I hope he loses every game.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 27th, 2021, 9:03 am

Agzrule wrote:
stwinward wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
USUstudent13 wrote:

As I’ve been saying, the roster for next year is pretty bad. Smith knew the team was gonna suck. If he didn’t leave after this year he would have been in Logan for quite awhile longer.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » March 27th, 2021, 9:28 am

I'm shaking my head like the rest of you. I'm not going to let tarnish the last three year ride though. But I hear Utah is extremely micromanaged from the top down in both academics and athletics. I don't think Smith will have as much freedom at Utah as he did here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author bigblue for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 27th, 2021, 9:31 am

2004AG wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 9:03 am
Agzrule wrote:
stwinward wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
USUstudent13 wrote:

As I’ve been saying, the roster for next year is pretty bad. Smith knew the team was gonna suck. If he didn’t leave after this year he would have been in Logan for quite awhile longer.

I hope we keep Bean, Worster, Anthony, and Ashworth, but I’d be completely okay with anyone else leaving.

coolag

Post by coolag » March 27th, 2021, 9:33 am

Liam and lurch will save us.

coolag

Post by coolag » March 27th, 2021, 9:35 am

2004AG wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 9:03 am
Agzrule wrote:
stwinward wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
USUstudent13 wrote:

This.

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » March 27th, 2021, 9:35 am

2004AG wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:Really disappointing that after all the good work he did here the best he could do was a middling program in the 6th best power conference. Hopefully this job isn't a dead end job for him, he's got a lot of potential.
Oh. I hope it’s such a dead end job he never coaches again.

Depending on the stage of grief I happen to be cycling through I either hope for this or for him to stumble around for a couple of years and fall backwards into a good Big 12 job like TJ Otzelberger did.
These users thanked the author aggieguy13 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » March 27th, 2021, 9:54 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 8:43 am
SwaggieAggie wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

Not talking about what the 247 website says. Talking about true impact players on the court. Queta is his only irreplaceable recruit.

kofdog

Post by kofdog » March 27th, 2021, 9:56 am

Can we lock this thread, we are doing the meltdown on a trolls meltdown thread.... please
These users thanked the author kofdog for the post (total 2):
bigblue32hipsterdoofus21

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 27th, 2021, 10:01 am

I don’t think being angry that Smith went to Utah constitutes a meltdown. I don’t see anyone throwing themselves off cliffs or jumping off bridges about the future of our program. We’ll be fine.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic