So we now know that Coach Smith

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
troutputz
RIP

So we now know that Coach Smith

Post by troutputz » March 22nd, 2021, 7:42 pm

Will bolt from us if given the right situation. I know we are a stepping stone. However, it still sucks, I hate it. Can boosters ever come up with enough $$$$$$$$ to get a coach like Smith to stay! I wonder if we will ever have a coach stay for a long time like Stew did? I love what Stew said about money. Hell, how much money do I need to live in Cache Valley. I,m given almost 900,000. If I can’t be happy on that and living in one of the nicer places in the US, then I better not be in coaching! Matt Wells bolted, he was close to a million a year. He now gets 3 mill. Until at the end of this year when he will be fired. Will he ever get a head coach job again. The smell the roses some where else is not as a nice smell we think it should be. Sometimes we don’t know how good we have it. Craig Smith, you have got it good here at Utah State, stay along time and become a legend.

Imakeitrain

Re: So we now know that Coach Smith

Post by Imakeitrain » March 22nd, 2021, 7:52 pm

There aren’t many coaches that won’t bolt to the right situation.

I don’t think it’s all about money. Basketball isn’t four all. Who did Minnesota go with? A former player and assistant at Minnesota. An assistant coach for a Xavier team that wasn’t all that this year. There is a lot that goes into these choices.

Basketball isn’t football. Basketball coaches go for years with success without being poached. Football coaches jump after a moderately successful season. We kept Stew for a long time. We can keep coach smith for awhile too. But if he does leave it likely means he had a wildly successful season.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 22nd, 2021, 8:06 pm

Do we know that? A few people have said he didn't even interview for the job.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 3):
cvalaggies22Real Life Aggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 22nd, 2021, 8:26 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 8:06 pm
Do we know that? A few people have said he didn't even interview for the job.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I said that.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
FL350AggieReal Life Aggie

cval

Post by cval » March 22nd, 2021, 8:33 pm

I guess we don't know much given how much we know. :joking:
These users thanked the author cval for the post:
BLUERUFiO

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » March 22nd, 2021, 8:44 pm

I think we have to understand who we are. We’re a mid-major, Group of Five program. THAT IS WHO WE ARE. We have an athletic budget of $40 million. The Big 10 schools get $40 million in TV money, minimum. I did an analysis of the SEC and Big 10 schools a few years back, and they each have over $100 million annually in funding that is “not allocated,” i.e. OVER AND ABOVE THEIR BUDGETED NEEDS. So coaches are always going to be drawn to that. We have made great strides at USU in athletics in many areas EXCEPT in funding. Our fans still don’t grasp the concept of what it takes to fund truly kick-(I can't express myself without swearing) athletic programs. What could we do if we had an extra $20 million in funding every year? As well as our programs are run, we could do plenty. But that doesn’t happen because we, as fans, don’t dig deep. Im as guilty as anybody of this, always looking for the minimum I have to get away with to get what I want from USU athletics. Well that is the difference between us and the SEC, Big 10, etc. Those people won’t be stopped by that, and that’s why those programs are so great.

I’m not saying we at USU are bad or anything like that. But I’m telling you, that is the difference between us and the Big 10, or SEC. When you go to a Big 10 campus, you know you are in a different sort of place. I spent a week at Wisconsin, and at Ohio State, on two separate occasions. Those universities are just “different” than we are. There is a feeling of “bigness” there that is just undeniable. They know who they are. The Big 10 basically invented the Association of American Universities, something Utah State wants to get into badly. Colorado State is already in it. It’s for the “upper crust” of universities academically. We’re close, but not there yet. But all of the Big 10 schools are in.

Anyway, that’s why coaches want to go to the Big 10. Big schools, big money, big facilities, and a history and tradition that we just don’t have. Yes, we have our traditions and they are good. But they are nothing like the Big 10. Nothing.

I’m glad we’re going to have Craig Smith a while longer. But if the midnight train from the Big 10 stops in Logan again . . . . Don’t be surprised if he’s interested. And for us, its a sign that our program is actually good!
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post (total 5):
BLUERUFiOUSU78mcaggie1BobWilsonsstrasser

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » March 22nd, 2021, 9:22 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 8:44 pm
I think we have to understand who we are. We’re a mid-major, Group of Five program. THAT IS WHO WE ARE. We have an athletic budget of $40 million. The Big 10 schools get $40 million in TV money, minimum. I did an analysis of the SEC and Big 10 schools a few years back, and they each have over $100 million annually in funding that is “not allocated,” i.e. OVER AND ABOVE THEIR BUDGETED NEEDS. So coaches are always going to be drawn to that. We have made great strides at USU in athletics in many areas EXCEPT in funding. Our fans still don’t grasp the concept of what it takes to fund truly kick-(I can't express myself without swearing) athletic programs. What could we do if we had an extra $20 million in funding every year? As well as our programs are run, we could do plenty. But that doesn’t happen because we, as fans, don’t dig deep. Im as guilty as anybody of this, always looking for the minimum I have to get away with to get what I want from USU athletics. Well that is the difference between us and the SEC, Big 10, etc. Those people won’t be stopped by that, and that’s why those programs are so great.

I’m not saying we at USU are bad or anything like that. But I’m telling you, that is the difference between us and the Big 10, or SEC. When you go to a Big 10 campus, you know you are in a different sort of place. I spent a week at Wisconsin, and at Ohio State, on two separate occasions. Those universities are just “different” than we are. There is a feeling of “bigness” there that is just undeniable. They know who they are. The Big 10 basically invented the Association of American Universities, something Utah State wants to get into badly. Colorado State is already in it. It’s for the “upper crust” of universities academically. We’re close, but not there yet. But all of the Big 10 schools are in.

Anyway, that’s why coaches want to go to the Big 10. Big schools, big money, big facilities, and a history and tradition that we just don’t have. Yes, we have our traditions and they are good. But they are nothing like the Big 10. Nothing.

I’m glad we’re going to have Craig Smith a while longer. But if the midnight train from the Big 10 stops in Logan again . . . . Don’t be surprised if he’s interested. And for us, its a sign that our program is actually good!
Here is our revenue chart in 2018, and other MWC members in case you're interested. We are pretty close to everyone else. Could do better in some areas.
Attachments
chart (4).png
chart (3).png
chart (1).png

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » March 22nd, 2021, 9:31 pm

Continuing
Attachments
chart (7).png
chart (6).png
chart (5).png

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » March 22nd, 2021, 9:35 pm

Continuing
Attachments
chart (10).png
chart (9).png
chart (8).png

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » March 22nd, 2021, 9:38 pm

Continuing
Attachments
chart (13).png
chart (12).png
chart (11).png

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 22nd, 2021, 10:11 pm

Until 2031 when we join the Pac 12 and can pay our coach the standard P5 rate, we aren't going to be a destination job for most successful coaches.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » March 23rd, 2021, 12:39 am

AggiesForever wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 8:44 pm

Colorado State is not a member of the AAU. There are actually some big names that are not on the list. For example several PAC-12 schools- Arizona State, Oregon State, and Washington State are not AAU members. Some other big name public and private universities that are missing from the list of members: Clemson, Florida State, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Georgia, Nebraska, Alabama, Auburn. The AAU is prestigious, no doubt, but it is not a be all and end all of prominent universities and institutions of higher learning.

https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members

gomretat

Post by gomretat » March 23rd, 2021, 9:27 am

I don't think money is the sole reason or in some cases the main reason coaches leave. Most coaches are very competitive people and coaching at a different level and on a different stage is very enticing. Many of these guys love the challenge part of being successful in the big time. The budgets that exist in P5 programs along with the caliber of athletes they can recruit is a different world. Of course the big paychecks come with it. There are a few dramatic exceptions such as Gonzaga where people stay put in smaller programs and make it work but that is very rare.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » March 23rd, 2021, 1:19 pm

Gonzaga pay's $3 million.

If coach has a 50-50 year this season and say a 16 win year after that he will be on the hot seat. They know that so if the chance comes to move to greener pastures he would be foolish to stay. I hope that coach Smith makes a statement to the media that he is indeed staying at USU.

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » March 23rd, 2021, 2:15 pm

I can think of two coaches at smaller schools/programs that have stayed at their schools when they were always rumored to be in the running for bigger jobs: Mark Few and Greg Marshall (who was fired before start of season for abuse allegations). However, in both cases the schools ponied up $3MM+ a year to keep the coach. I don't know how they did it, and doubt USU could unless some boosters stepped up big time. The reality is both schools kept the coach by paying him P5 rates, not because the coaches were inherently loyal to these schools. They might've taken a minor discount to stay (say 10%), but it's not like they were settling for nominal paydays. That's the reality.

The next big test case will be Porter Moser. Will a big program lure him away or will Loyola find a way to keep him?

Should we be lucky enough to keep Smith long term it will likely involve some creative financing of a large contract or he really does love Cache Valley more than any other place.

AggieFanNate

Post by AggieFanNate » March 23rd, 2021, 2:46 pm

I think Coaches like Smith need to know that they can be successful at that school. Remember how much he talked about USU's history? I think Smith wants to get a job at a P5 that has history with success and bring that school deep into the tournament. I don't think he really would want to get a new job that has a major overhaul to do. At least I wouldn't. USU pays well enough and he can work and get valuable enough here to find a school that will really succeed with him at the head. He doesn't want to take a team from the bottom of a p5 conference and try to make that work. He didn't go to New Mexico or Air Force he went to USU which historically has been a great Basketball School that had gone through a bit of a rough patch but definitely had the foundation to succeed.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 23rd, 2021, 2:54 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
March 23rd, 2021, 2:15 pm
I can think of two coaches at smaller schools/programs that have stayed at their schools when they were always rumored to be in the running for bigger jobs: Mark Few and Greg Marshall (who was fired before start of season for abuse allegations). However, in both cases the schools ponied up $3MM+ a year to keep the coach. I don't know how they did it, and doubt USU could unless some boosters stepped up big time. The reality is both schools kept the coach by paying him P5 rates, not because the coaches were inherently loyal to these schools. They might've taken a minor discount to stay (say 10%), but it's not like they were settling for nominal paydays. That's the reality.

The next big test case will be Porter Moser. Will a big program lure him away or will Loyola find a way to keep him?

Should we be lucky enough to keep Smith long term it will likely involve some creative financing of a large contract or he really does love Cache Valley more than any other place.
They did it and were able to do it because men's basketball is the face of their athletic program. Without football, all their eggs are in 1 basket so to speak. For everyone else, football drives the bus, generates the most revenue and is the reason many schools are even able to sponsor other sports.

Locked Previous topicNext topic