Ags v. peers in MBB 2012-2021

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OKAggie

Ags v. peers in MBB 2012-2021

Post by OKAggie » March 22nd, 2021, 11:53 am

This might have been added to Roy McAvoy's excellent post here, but I didn't want it to get lost in the rabbit trails downthread, so apologies for possible posting sprawl.

I've made a Google sheet comparing USU's success in the NCAA tournament over the past ten years against the 30 teams -- 15 just higher, 15 just lower -- nearest our men's basketball budget, based on 2019 (the most recent) numbers from the federal Department of Education. A few observations:

-- Of the 31 teams in our roughly comparable budget range, 13 have had zero bids to the Big Dance in the last decade, and another eight have had only one. Four have equaled USU's two bids, and only five have more than two. (USU, Belmont and Bradley would have each had one more in 2020 after winning their CT before the Big Dance was cancelled.)

-- Nine of the 31 have had wins in the tournament in the past decade. Only three teams have gotten into the Sweet 16, and only Loyola Chicago (counting this year) more than once. Loyola is only the only one with wins in multiple tournaments.

--Six of our peers have never won a single NCAA tournament game, and one, William & Mary, has never played in one. Seven have not made the tournament in this century.

-- in case you're wondering, Oral Roberts is a little over $2M/year. Ohio U is at about $3.3, just a few notches outside my comparison group.

Lots of fodder for discussion. Have at it.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post:
AGinNEIowa

Nobody here knows anything.