Craig Smith Interviewing for Minn. U Job

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
BigBlueBlood

Post by BigBlueBlood » March 22nd, 2021, 11:39 am

Aggie in Boise

Re: Craig Smith Interviewing for Minn. U Job

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 22nd, 2021, 11:47 am

I wonder if Mr. Hartwell will give him a good reference? :headscratch:
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
ViAggie

"The media is not your friend.” CNN anchor Chris Cuomo

"We choose truth over facts." Joe Biden

BigBlueBlood

Post by BigBlueBlood » March 22nd, 2021, 11:52 am

I have to think Hartwell knew about it. Probably gave permission for it, which I understand is customary. However, it's not often you hear of specific coaches interviewing for a job. Normally, it's just a list of reported or expected candidates. Leaking the name of a coach who is interviewing is unexpected. If you don't get it, you risk alienating your current team and are known going forward as the guy who didn't get the job he really wanted. Which makes me wonder if he's already got it, and he's just going through the formalities.
These users thanked the author BigBlueBlood for the post:
ViAggie

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » March 22nd, 2021, 11:58 am

BigBlueBlood wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 11:52 am
I have to think Hartwell knew about it. Probably gave permission for it, which I understand is customary. However, it's not often you hear of specific coaches interviewing for a job. Normally, it's just a list of reported or expected candidates. Leaking the name of a coach who is interviewing is unexpected. If you don't get it, you risk alienating your current team and are known going forward as the guy who didn't get the job he really wanted. Which makes me wonder if he's already got it, and he's just going through the formalities.
You're only thinking about it leaking from one source... there's many reasons that others involved in the situation would leak info.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » March 22nd, 2021, 12:19 pm

So Tim Miles for us? I’d be ok with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 22nd, 2021, 12:20 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 12:19 pm

I've got to be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about an established coach with nothing to prove taking the job. I've always felt like USU's best chance for success is young up & coming coaches with a lot of energy and something to prove.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.02004AG

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » March 22nd, 2021, 12:22 pm

BigBlueBlood wrote:
two individuals named in that same tweet - and allusions to 1, maybe 2 additional prospects

I'm a little surprised to see UNI's BJ interviewed - I don't recall any interested parties in pulling him from CF in at leaset 3-4 years (could be forgetting).

2020 PICK'EM GOOGLE Docs -
BOWLS (pick entry)

WEEK 15 (results)

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 22nd, 2021, 12:25 pm

BigBlueBlood wrote:
MInnesota's 247 guy on their board has been publicly posting that Smith will interview for the job for a while now. It's no secret that Minnesota is a dream job for Smith.

Someone on their board even posted a month ago that the Minnesota AD has confirmation that if Smith is offered the job he'd take it. Again, that could just be BS, but it seems to have some merit.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 22nd, 2021, 12:39 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 12:25 pm
BigBlueBlood wrote:
MInnesota's 247 guy on their board has been publicly posting that Smith will interview for the job for a while now. It's no secret that Minnesota is a dream job for Smith.

Someone on their board even posted a month ago that the Minnesota AD has confirmation that if Smith is offered the job he'd take it. Again, that could just be BS, but it seems to have some merit.
If I could go home and take over the biggest program in the state (that I probably cheered for or at least knew about growing up), I'd take it too. Especially if it gave me a 200%+ raise.

Smith's buyout is a percent of the remaining contract, so I'm glad for the clause that extends his contract automatically for making the tournament. It probably added an additional $250k to his buyout.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyReal Life Aggie

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 22nd, 2021, 12:43 pm

BigBlueBlood wrote:
Probably would have gotten it by now. Likely they are waiting on interviewing coaches that are still coaching in the tourney.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 22nd, 2021, 12:44 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 12:20 pm
Usu0505 wrote:

I've got to be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about an established coach with nothing to prove taking the job. I've always felt like USU's best chance for success is young up & coming coaches with a lot of energy and something to prove.
Agreed. I would be looking to someone that is younger and more energetic with a diverse staff. I would be pretty disappointed if Tim Miles ends up in Logan. To put things in perspective, Craig Smith just qualified us for 3 straight NCAA tourney's - that's more than Tim Miles has ever qualified for in his entire career. (He's been once with CSU -1 and done, and once with Nebraska - also 1 and done).

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 22nd, 2021, 12:50 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 12:39 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 12:25 pm
BigBlueBlood wrote:

If I could go home and take over the biggest program in the state (that I probably cheered for or at least knew about growing up), I'd take it too. Especially if it gave me a 200%+ raise.

Smith's buyout is a percent of the remaining contract, so I'm glad for the clause that extends his contract automatically for making the tournament. It probably added an additional $250k to his buyout.
IF this is indeed the case, if I were Hartwell in lieu of a contract buyout I'd push for Minnesota to schedule a home and home in bball and football.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » March 22nd, 2021, 12:54 pm

He’s probably watching the Big 10’s performance in the tournament and thinking he can win the league next year

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » March 22nd, 2021, 1:06 pm

Aglicious wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:

Agreed. I would be looking to someone that is younger and more energetic with a diverse staff. I would be pretty disappointed if Tim Miles ends up in Logan. To put things in perspective, Craig Smith just qualified us for 3 straight NCAA tourney's - that's more than Tim Miles has ever qualified for in his entire career. (He's been once with CSU -1 and done, and once with Nebraska - also 1 and done).
I’ll be the first to admit I was for the Gary 2.0 hire so it’s probably good I’m not making any decisions. However, to me it depends on who the other candidates are. Out of the few names I’ve seen mentioned he is my favorite. I might be for Peterson if he’d take it but it also didn’t work out well the last time we tried the current assistant coach.

I’m open to hearing more names for sure. Iv also been pleased with Hartwell choices so will be for whoever he chooses.

cval

Post by cval » March 22nd, 2021, 1:09 pm

But the real question is... would the new guy, whoever it might be if we even need a new guy... want Spencer Nelson as an assistant? :noidea:
These users thanked the author cval for the post (total 2):
aggies22Real Life Aggie

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 22nd, 2021, 1:09 pm

Usu0505 wrote:

I'm on board! That way if things don't work out for Craig, in Minnesota, he can always come back as Tim's assistant.

"The media is not your friend.” CNN anchor Chris Cuomo

"We choose truth over facts." Joe Biden

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » March 22nd, 2021, 1:10 pm

cval wrote:But the real question is... would the new guy, whoever it might be if we even need a new guy... want Spencer Nelson as an assistant? :noidea:
Lol. He has too.

These users thanked the author Usu0505 for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

stang

Post by stang » March 22nd, 2021, 1:10 pm

I know Minnesota hasn't been anything special the past couple decades, but I view that program as a sleeping tiger. They're the ONLY D1 program in a state of nearly 6 million people, and their campus is smack dab in the middle of the 16th largest metropolitan area in the US. They've got an enormous budget (though right in the middle of the B1G), and pretty decent facilities.

Aside from the obvious reason, being that it's his home, I can see why that would be a very appealing job to Craig. With the right coach, that team could be an absolute powerhouse.
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 2):
Real Life Aggie3rdGenAggie

bpd

Post by bpd » March 22nd, 2021, 1:11 pm

Tim Miles would be a good hire. CSU was a dumpster fire when he took over. So was Nebraska. He built them up. How has Nebraska done since he left? There are plenty of good candidates out there.

Craig is not leaving for the money. He is leaving to try and win big, fly on charter planes, and have a much easier recruiting situation.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 22nd, 2021, 1:38 pm

bpd wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 1:11 pm
Tim Miles would be a good hire. CSU was a dumpster fire when he took over. So was Nebraska. He built them up. How has Nebraska done since he left? There are plenty of good candidates out there.

Craig is not leaving for the money. He is leaving to try and win big, fly on charter planes, and have a much easier recruiting situation.
Wha'? Not leaving for the money? H377, I would!
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggieBLUERUFiO

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » March 22nd, 2021, 1:39 pm

I would take Joe Pasternack in a heartbeat, allegations be darned

AggieFella

Post by AggieFella » March 22nd, 2021, 1:40 pm

what does it meannnnnnnnnnnnnn

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 22nd, 2021, 1:44 pm

Assuming coach Smith leaves, I hope we go after an up an coming coach that has head coaching experience. I know we have talked about Peterson, but for me I would prefer a coach that has experience leading a program and has been proven a winner.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » March 22nd, 2021, 1:57 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:

Stew Morrill might disagree.

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Has thanked: 0

Post by Floppy Hat » March 22nd, 2021, 2:04 pm

Heard they are hiring someone from Xavier's staff...

fetchingaggiefan22

Post by fetchingaggiefan22 » March 22nd, 2021, 2:04 pm

These users thanked the author fetchingaggiefan22 for the post:
BLUERUFiO

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » March 22nd, 2021, 2:07 pm

Well, that is great news for us.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 22nd, 2021, 2:09 pm

fetchingaggiefan22 wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 2:04 pm
Minnesota fans are pretty disappointed.
https://www.forums.gopherhole.com/board ... on.100900/
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
fetchingaggiefan22

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 22nd, 2021, 2:10 pm

Wow
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
fetchingaggiefan22

stang

Post by stang » March 22nd, 2021, 2:10 pm

But wait, this isn't one of the names that all of the message board geniuses were "reporting"! :noidea:

(this is not specifically about people on this board. More in reference to the Minnesota board and that people are willing to accept the reporting of random anonymous people as fact)
Last edited by stang on March 22nd, 2021, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
fetchingaggiefan22

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 22nd, 2021, 2:11 pm

Great news. Hope that holds up.

SectionBAggie

Minnesota rumor

Post by SectionBAggie » March 22nd, 2021, 2:15 pm

ViAggie

Re: Minnesota rumor

Post by ViAggie » March 22nd, 2021, 2:16 pm

hey look at it this way Coach Smith, you got a free trip back home to visit the family out yonder.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

slcagg

Re: Minnesota rumor

Post by slcagg » March 22nd, 2021, 2:18 pm

lol.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 22nd, 2021, 2:18 pm

Crap. So Utah could sweep in right?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic