Euros, McChesney and Bairstow

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Bank Shot

Euros, McChesney and Bairstow

Post by Bank Shot » March 20th, 2021, 11:25 am

This is something I've wondered about especially since Queta stayed in Logan this summer and really improved his game. Assuming somewhat normal travel (virus), would the Euros, etc., be better off doing the same. I know it's tough for a young man that 's been away from home and living in Covid hell this season and I'm sure they'd like to go home, at least for a while.

What's the norm in this situation? If they go home for the summer, will they receive comparable training and coaching to work on their respective weaknesses? And be as accountable? If I were king I'd say a month to go home and then back to Logan and back to work.

NewUSUfan

Re: Euros, McChesney and Bairstow

Post by NewUSUfan » March 20th, 2021, 12:17 pm

Max Liam and Sean are gone for sure. I hope zapala stays.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 20th, 2021, 12:37 pm

NewUSUfan wrote:Max Liam and Sean are gone for sure. I hope zapala stays.
By gone for sure do you mean leaving the program or just visiting home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » March 20th, 2021, 2:24 pm

scotlandog wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 12:37 pm

I’m guessing Sean might leave, but why would the other two?

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » March 20th, 2021, 2:39 pm

Bairstow is that guy is seems amazingly talented, but just has not been able to make it work here thus far. He's a decent shooter from outside which we need, but he is a average ball handler and turnover prone, and while he has the ability to get to the hoop, he hasn't shown the ability to finish at the hoop. For a guy who is 6-8 with his athleticism, that is kind of disappointing. He's still young, so he can develop these skills if he wants to. I know the coaching staff would love to have somebody that fits that role.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post (total 3):
slcaggOrangeCountyAggieBobWilson

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 20th, 2021, 3:41 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 2:39 pm
Bairstow is that guy is seems amazingly talented, but just has not been able to make it work here thus far. He's a decent shooter from outside which we need, but he is a average ball handler and turnover prone, and while he has the ability to get to the hoop, he hasn't shown the ability to finish at the hoop. For a guy who is 6-8 with his athleticism, that is kind of disappointing. He's still young, so he can develop these skills if he wants to. I know the coaching staff would love to have somebody that fits that role.
Well said! I hope he sticks it out and finds his confidence next year. If he had that killer mentality, he'd be phenomenal.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 20th, 2021, 4:02 pm

Staying and playing pickup ball with better players is how they're going to get better. They can get coaching and work on individual skills anywhere. Where they really will see improvement is playing against better comperition. They should stay and play pickup games with the Utah and BYU guys, both current and former, all summer. That's what is like to see.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
aggies22FloridaAggie13

Eutaw St. Aggie

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » March 20th, 2021, 4:06 pm

Yossarian wrote:Staying and playing pickup ball with better players is how they're going to get better. They can get coaching and work on individual skills anywhere. Where they really will see improvement is playing against better comperition. They should stay and play pickup games with the Utah and BYU guys, both current and former, all summer. That's what is like to see.
That’s where I’d like to see Liam stick around. He would benefit from that....as well as the strength and nutrition program. I still think he has the potential to be a game changer.

Cuchelain

Post by Cuchelain » March 20th, 2021, 6:26 pm

Liam is still a mystery. I still think he could be a good player for us.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 20th, 2021, 8:20 pm

I'll wait for more reliable sources before I buy into a post like that above. :crazy:

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 20th, 2021, 8:23 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 8:20 pm
I'll wait for more reliable sources before I buy into a post like that above. :crazy:
I don’t have specifics but I’ve heard to expect some transfers as well.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 20th, 2021, 8:26 pm

I'm having thread-starter remorse! Calling 22...we need some bud-nipping here.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 22nd, 2021, 10:13 am

NewUSUfan wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 12:17 pm
Thanks for always feeding us information. To echo previous comments: leave the program, or just go home for the summer?

I'm going to proceed assuming that the mean leave the program. I'm disappointed to hear this. I'm disappointed to be losing McChesney, and I think Shulga was starting to look really good with his PT at the end of the season. Bairstow... clearly has raw talent, but I share the frustrations of many of this board that he doesn't seem to have the composure we'd expect out of a player with his tenure. Rollie and Ashworth are true freshmen, and they look years ahead of Bairstow (though I love his shot).

Is it frustration with the rotation and lack of PT, the staff/team, or something else?
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 22nd, 2021, 11:19 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 4:06 pm
Yossarian wrote:Staying and playing pickup ball with better players is how they're going to get better. They can get coaching and work on individual skills anywhere. Where they really will see improvement is playing against better comperition. They should stay and play pickup games with the Utah and BYU guys, both current and former, all summer. That's what is like to see.
That’s where I’d like to see Liam stick around. He would benefit from that....as well as the strength and nutrition program. I still think he has the potential to be a game changer.
^This for damn sure!

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 22nd, 2021, 11:44 am

Bank Shot wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 8:26 pm
I'm having thread-starter remorse! Calling 22...we need some bud-nipping here.
I wish I could bail you out my Aggie brother. I don't have anything I can share right now.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
Bank ShotReal Life Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 22nd, 2021, 12:05 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 4:06 pm
Sticks and stones may break Liam's bones, but a strong gust of wind out of Logan Canyon will sideline him with a medical redshirt for another year.

Get this man some cement shoes.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
aggieguy13flying_scotsman2.0

cval

Post by cval » March 22nd, 2021, 12:52 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 10:13 am
NewUSUfan wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 12:17 pm
Thanks for always feeding us information. To echo previous comments: leave the program, or just go home for the summer?

I'm going to proceed assuming that the mean leave the program. I'm disappointed to hear this. I'm disappointed to be losing McChesney, and I think Shulga was starting to look really good with his PT at the end of the season. Bairstow... clearly has raw talent, but I share the frustrations of many of this board that he doesn't seem to have the composure we'd expect out of a player with his tenure. Rollie and Ashworth are true freshmen, and they look years ahead of Bairstow (though I love his shot).

Is it frustration with the rotation and lack of PT, the staff/team, or something else?
Given the placement of this comment in the thread, I think he meant leave for the summer. If not, it is lacking context.

DavisCOAggie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DavisCOAggie » March 22nd, 2021, 5:07 pm

scotlandog wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 12:37 pm

Yeah, I have heard the same. Liam and Sean frustrated with Playing time, and dont really enjoy being in Logan.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 22nd, 2021, 5:14 pm

But Liam has been injured.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 22nd, 2021, 5:15 pm

Unfortunate if that's true, but they would have gotten more play time had they shown enough in practice or in Bairstow case, his ample time on the floor in the earlier part of the season. He just looks to slow of foot and his dribbling was poor. I think he has upside if he works on it but that's obviously why his play time slowly decreased.

Can't help the not enjoying Logan part, it's not for everyone. We have a decent core for next year with Worster, Anthony, Bean, Miller, Ashworth, Dorius (who IMO is an elite rebounder and pretty good shot blocker himself, not Queta good but he graded out very well defensively albeit in limited minutes), maybe Zapala.

We definitely have needs on the wings and if we can upgrade from Bairstow/Mcchesney with transfers or Jucos then it might not be a bad thing.

Locked Previous topicNext topic