Recap of the MW tournament

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Yossarian

Recap of the MW tournament

Post by Yossarian » March 15th, 2021, 2:20 pm

A couple things from the MW Tournament of note:

1 - If you would have told me that USU would hold SDSU to 2-15 shooting on three-pointers before the game started, I would have almost guaranteed an Aggie victory. Defending the three-point line was not an issue against SDSU. The Aggies held the Aztecs to 24% from three in the three games they played this season. They averaged 37.5% as a team for the season.

2 - If you would have told me Ashworth and Shulga would combine to score 0 points in the tournament, I would not have believed you.

3 - As a team the Aggies went 16-56 from the three-point line (29%). That's not good.

4 - Queta went 20-22 from the free throw line. That's good.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 4):
AggiesForeverReal Life AggiecdaAgaggies22

Aggiealum13

Re: Recap of the MW tournament

Post by Aggiealum13 » March 15th, 2021, 2:52 pm

The CSU game sealed our tournament deal. We wouldn't be in if we lost. That game was the bright spot in this whole thing. But the one good thing to take away in all of this is the MWC is getting respect. The college basketball landscape sees that the conference is trending up nicely, and teams like Wyoming and Nevada trending up and maybe New Mexico again if they get a good enough coach leads me to believe that the conference has a bright future. Yes, coaches may possibly come and go, but I think those jobs if vacant will attract a lot of good coaches.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 15th, 2021, 3:09 pm

The conference is still down from where it was a decade or so ago. There was another thread about this - the MW had a run of four years where they got 4 in the NCAA tournament - even 5 in one year. Even this year - all year long there was talk about how strong the top of the league was and there were 4 teams that were very deserving of a bid. After the dust settled, we got 2 in, just like a typical year in the MW. I think the league suffered from not being able to play a full non-conference schedule this year.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
AggieFBObsession

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » March 15th, 2021, 3:16 pm

We also need to find a guard/wing/small forward who is capable of creating and making his own shot. That player does not exist on our team. We have lot of guy who can make a shot off a screen, or off a pass. But we need somebody who can handle the ball well enough to create and make outside shots without an assist from somebody else. If Craig Smith & Co. could find us a Jordan Schakel kind of player, we could continue to be one of the top teams in this league. But without that kind of player we hard pressed to beat anybody outside of the Mountain West. Teams will pack it in the middle and dare us to shoot from the outside. The games we're "on" we'll win. But, as was said before, shooting 28% from three point land just won't get it done. And there were too many of those this year.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionGUS

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 15th, 2021, 3:18 pm

We also need another true PG besides Ashworth. No. Worster isn't one.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 15th, 2021, 3:26 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 3:18 pm
Why do you say that? I think he handles the point well for a freshman.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 15th, 2021, 3:37 pm

Are you looking for a player that can drive or just create some separation and hit outside shots or fade always?

I think Anthony and Worster can both drive and create shots by themselves. Let’s not forget Worster is a freshman. I don’t think we have the create separation and hit a fade away or step back 3 type of player. Sam developed that ability that last season and we do miss that at critical points in the game.

I think we do have the post up abilities of Anthony and Anderson outside of Q who we can and should be taking advantage of. Both have good size and strength and decent post moves. With smaller opposing guards, we need to take advantage of that bc they for sure will take advantage of their quickness and speed. Turn your opponents strength into their weakness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 15th, 2021, 4:00 pm

Yossarian wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 2:20 pm
A couple things from the MW Tournament of note:

1 - If you would have told me that USU would hold SDSU to 2-15 shooting on three-pointers before the game started, I would have almost guaranteed an Aggie victory. Defending the three-point line was not an issue against SDSU. The Aggies held the Aztecs to 24% from three in the three games they played this season. They averaged 37.5% as a team for the season.

2 - If you would have told me Ashworth and Shulga would combine to score 0 points in the tournament, I would not have believed you.

3 - As a team the Aggies went 16-56 from the three-point line (29%). That's not good.

4 - Queta went 20-22 from the free throw line. That's good.
We shot the three ball at 29% because Queta doesn't shoot it. If he did, we'd have had great numbers, lol. That man has been delivering this season.

bullshot

Post by bullshot » March 15th, 2021, 7:04 pm

We need Isaiah Stevens to transfer from CSU to USU.
These users thanked the author bullshot for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 15th, 2021, 7:11 pm

Would an All Star team from the MW be able to compete in one of the P-5 conferences? If you made a team with:

Shakel
Mitchell
Mensah
Allston
Kigab
Roddy
Stevens
Sherfield
Cambridge
Queta
Bean
Hamilton

Could that team compete in a P-5 league (other than the PAC 12)? Could that team beat Gonzaga? Who would you start?

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 15th, 2021, 7:15 pm

Yossarian wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 7:11 pm
Would an All Star team from the MW be able to compete in one of the P-5 conferences? If you made a team with:

Shakel
Mitchell
Mensah
Allston
Kigab
Roddy
Stevens
Sherfield
Cambridge
Queta
Bean
Hamilton

Could that team compete in a P-5 league (other than the PAC 12)? Could that team beat Gonzaga? Who would you start?
Can I have Maldanado on my team? Not a starter, but I love the way that kid plays. Does a little bit of everything and is a team player. He's my replacement for Hamilton.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
apo

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 15th, 2021, 7:32 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 7:15 pm
Yossarian wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 7:11 pm

Shakel
Mitchell
Mensah
Allston
Kigab
Roddy
Stevens
Sherfield
Cambridge
Queta
Bean
Hamilton

Can I have Maldanado on my team? Not a starter, but I love the way that kid plays. Does a little bit of everything and is a team player. He's my replacement for Hamilton.
It's your team. I could get on board with Maldonado.

cval

Post by cval » March 15th, 2021, 7:41 pm

I wonder if there are enough basketballs for all of those guys? Mostly kidding, but they would play different roles on that team than they do now, and may not fit well in those roles.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » March 15th, 2021, 7:43 pm

If they played team ball, had a good attitude, good coaching, and GATA, then yes, I believe they would do very well against anyone in the nation.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 15th, 2021, 7:51 pm

What's telling is of that list the last player you would want to lose is Queta. The rest are pieces and parts to mix and match around him. So....who was the league MVP? Pretty easy question.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 15th, 2021, 8:31 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
Whether or not Worster is a true point guard or not he doesn't awesome job running the team. We win one of those Boise games with Worster playin.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 15th, 2021, 8:33 pm

Aggiealum13 wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 2:52 pm
The CSU game sealed our tournament deal. We wouldn't be in if we lost. That game was the bright spot in this whole thing. But the one good thing to take away in all of this is the MWC is getting respect. The college basketball landscape sees that the conference is trending up nicely, and teams like Wyoming and Nevada trending up and maybe New Mexico again if they get a good enough coach leads me to believe that the conference has a bright future. Yes, coaches may possibly come and go, but I think those jobs if vacant will attract a lot of good coaches.
I would add the 2nd half against UNLV was awesome. Overall the tournament was really good and the Aggies did what they needed to do to get into the tournament.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 15th, 2021, 8:39 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 3:26 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
Definitely, but no speed. He needs to play the 2.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 15th, 2021, 9:09 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 8:39 pm
slcagg wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
I never felt Stephen’s or that type of guard burned him on defense. Felt he could drive the hoop very well probably mostly because of his strength. But I would agree he isn’t the fastest. But then again he was a top football player.😁

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » March 15th, 2021, 9:39 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 9:09 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 8:39 pm
slcagg wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
I never felt Stephen’s or that type of guard burned him on defense. Felt he could drive the hoop very well probably mostly because of his strength. But I would agree he isn’t the fastest. But then again he was a top football player.😁
“True” point guards are done in basketball.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic