Tournament seed list

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
mcaggie1

Tournament seed list

Post by mcaggie1 » March 15th, 2021, 10:36 am

I have been reading about Texas T and how many Aggie fans are wondering if we have a chance against them.
Yes, it does look a little daunting to me too. Then I looked at the team rankings (Seed list). Very interesting. Do we really have a chance in this first round game? My answer is YES!!!!!

Texas Tech is 22
BYU is. 23
SDSU is. 24

They are all ranked together.
Here is my Navy blue logic, but I think it has some validity;

We had a great chance against BYU, losing by only three....and really should have won.
We beat SDSU 2 out of 3, and in the third game were down by only 6 with a few minutes left (and had possession)

We now play a team that looks and plays like SDSU, except they don’t have a bigger guy in the middle like the Aztecs.
I say we have a very decent chance to win.

:utah: :rock: :state:
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0JSHarvey

Dkdavis

Re: Tournament seed list

Post by Dkdavis » March 15th, 2021, 10:53 am

I think a lot of us are programmed for one and done...
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0AggieFBObsession

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 15th, 2021, 11:05 am

Dkdavis wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 10:53 am
I think a lot of us are programmed for one and done...
I am too...but I thought it was interesting those three were all rated the same. Excuse me for being a fan. ;)
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » March 15th, 2021, 11:09 am

My only problem is that BYU game and the SDSU wins were at home. We lost to SDSU on neutral court and going up against TT on neutral court will be pretty daunting task. We haven't shown to be big road warriors this year.

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » March 15th, 2021, 11:12 am

sam tingey wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 11:09 am
My only problem is that BYU game and the SDSU wins were at home. We lost to SDSU on neutral court and going up against TT on neutral court will be pretty daunting task. We haven't shown to be big road warriors this year.
These are the points we have scored against similar teams.

SDSU 57, 64, 57
VCU 69
BYU 64

SDSU 57 and VCU 69 were on neutral courts, the rest were at home. While we were able to keep our opponent point totals down (except VCU) these point totals are not going to get it done.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » March 15th, 2021, 11:13 am

I just watched roughly 8 minutes of TT highlights, so I now consider myself the foremost authority on the issue.

We are going to have serious troubles with athletic wings (what else is new?), and I don't see us scoring a lot of points in this one (what else is new?). I see us getting off to a slow start (what else is new?).

With that said, if we can slow this thing down, clog the key on defense, and lock them down on the wings, we have a shot. We need Brock and Marco to show up, and we need more Fonz. His defense, ability to space the floor, ability to play a bit of bully ball, and his propensity to deliver in the clutch should be relied upon heavily here. If I see Shulga touch as much as one sliver of one toenail on the floor, I'm gonna be really pissed at Craig Smith.

If we are going to win, I see Queta and Fonz being our highest scorers with solid contributions from our shooters. This won't be an easy task, but we can do it.

If Queta gets in foul trouble, we are absolutely effed.
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post:
mcaggie1

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

GUS

Post by GUS » March 15th, 2021, 11:30 am

Don't expect any more defense from Fonz than you would get from Shulga. Shulga is already better on defense than Fonz.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » March 15th, 2021, 11:38 am

GUS wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 11:30 am
Don't expect any more defense from Fonz than you would get from Shulga. Shulga is already better on defense than Fonz.
When's the last time Shulga did something that made you think "Wow! That was great!"?

Fonz does that like 3x a game and has done it in big games over and over again.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » March 15th, 2021, 11:43 am

918AGG wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 11:13 am
I just watched roughly 8 minutes of TT highlights, so I now consider myself the foremost authority on the issue.

We are going to have serious troubles with athletic wings (what else is new?), and I don't see us scoring a lot of points in this one (what else is new?). I see us getting off to a slow start (what else is new?).

With that said, if we can slow this thing down, clog the key on defense, and lock them down on the wings, we have a shot. We need Brock and Marco to show up, and we need more Fonz. His defense, ability to space the floor, ability to play a bit of bully ball, and his propensity to deliver in the clutch should be relied upon heavily here. If I see Shulga touch as much as one sliver of one toenail on the floor, I'm gonna be really pissed at Craig Smith.

If we are going to win, I see Queta and Fonz being our highest scorers with solid contributions from our shooters. This won't be an easy task, but we can do it.

If Queta gets in foul trouble, we are absolutely effed.
I agree on the foul trouble. Thatt the key to the Aggies having a chance. TT is a very average 3 pt shooting team with one guy "Edwards" who has a Brock Miller statistical profile. Overplay the 3 pt line, lock down Edwards, and avoid fouls on their penetration and the statistical effect in the paint of Queta's D should keep the Aggies in the game provided the refs allow the teams to play a bit. If they are calling it close and allowing TT to get to the line a lot it will be a long game.

SSaggie

Post by SSaggie » March 15th, 2021, 11:53 am

918, Are you a James Harden fan by chance?
I love Fonz, but I do believe his defense is lacking. But you can't win a game without offense, thus he has significant value (as long as he isnt forcing shots)

Although I do feel Fonz is one of the most clutch Aggies that I can think of in terms of hitting big shots.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » March 15th, 2021, 12:01 pm

SSaggie wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 11:53 am
918, Are you a James Harden fan by chance?
I love Fonz, but I do believe his defense is lacking. But you can't win a game without offense, thus he has significant value (as long as he isnt forcing shots)

Although I do feel Fonz is one of the most clutch Aggies that I can think of in terms of hitting big shots.
I can't stand Harden. I love defense (and playing defense), but if you put 5 dudes out there that can defend but can't score a (clutch) bucket, you're effed. I didn't see anything from Marco, offensively, that I particularly cared for in the Championship game. Lots of getting to the bucket, not a lot of finishing. We need a dude out there that can consistently finish.

Here's my clutch 5. Feel free to disagree.

If I have my life on the line in a close game, and I have to pick 5 Aggies to play in the final minutes, I'm taking out Marco and putting in Fonz (and I'm going big against TT).

Queta
Bean
Fonz
Brock
Rollie

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 15th, 2021, 12:14 pm

Why the hate for Shulga? Kid is solid and has consistently improved all season. Makes good basketball decisions, doesn't turn the ball over, plays good defense and can knock down open shots...

I'm happy for him and expect him to continue to improve.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 5):
MrBiggleBigVBAgReal Life Aggieaggieguy13BustaMcNutt

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » March 15th, 2021, 12:14 pm

918AGG wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 11:38 am
GUS wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 11:30 am
When's the last time Shulga did something that made you think "Wow! That was great!"?

Fonz does that like 3x a game and has done it in big games over and over again.
Shulga gets an inordinate amount of steals per minute in the game. He's got great hands and anticipation.
Fonz is a much more refined offensive player at this stage.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » March 15th, 2021, 12:17 pm

I like that we have a good defense, but everything from the MWC Tourney says, "WE NEED MORE SCORING!"

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » March 15th, 2021, 12:18 pm

treesap32 wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 12:14 pm
Why the hate for Shulga? Kid is solid and has consistently improved all season. Makes good basketball decisions, doesn't turn the ball over, plays good defense and can knock down open shots...

I'm happy for him and expect him to continue to improve.

Less hate, more that I'm not sure he can deliver a big shot if/when we need one. Just a lot lost on the other side of the floor when you sell your soul for good defensive hands.

Folks on here are acting like Shulga and his 3 minutes of PT are like Iggy on Bron in the clutch. Happy for his improvement, not sure why we humor him in big games.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 15th, 2021, 12:21 pm

Sounds like some hyperbole on both sides. Shulga is a great 8th man off the bench. I feel more comfortable with him out there than Bairstow at this point. Bairstow has some offensive skill, but turns the ball over way too much.

These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 5):
ProvoAggiemcaggie1Real Life AggieMrBiggleaggieguy13

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » March 15th, 2021, 12:30 pm

We do need a way to figure out more scoring. It seemed like 90% of our possessions against SDSU were an effort to work through Queta. It made us easier to defend...it would be nice to take some of the pressure off of him and open up the middle more.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 15th, 2021, 12:39 pm

I think the tired legs was definitely an issue in that championship game. Granted SDSU played the same amount of games but we played limited bench and had only what, 13-14hrs rest before the next tip-off.

I think Worster being tired really effected that game. He can get into the paint and make some moves and score which alleviates a lot on Q.

We needs cutters and less ball watching. Then start getting I get things to Q to go to work, it should be a lot easier then.

I think we need to also post McClung up on offense and force take advantage of Anthony or Fonz if they switch to take him down low. If we get McClung in foul trouble, we will have a good chance at winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post:
918AGG

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 15th, 2021, 12:55 pm

sam tingey wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 12:17 pm
I like that we have a good defense, but everything from the MWC Tourney says, "WE NEED MORE SCORING!"
i agree with this. In the tournament we held teams to 53, 50 and 68. Those are really good defensive numbers. What worries me the most is turnovers and if we can hit open shots. SDSU played us really well defensively. TT will be tough on defense, but we have to find a way to get open 3's and make them.

AgSpaceCase

Post by AgSpaceCase » March 15th, 2021, 2:14 pm

From what I see TT will not be as smothering on defense as SDSU. SDSU has been top ten in defense for most of the past decade. SDSU also has the advantage of three years worth of games trying to figure out the best game plan for Queta ant a team that was visibly exhausted and therefore missing shots. TT has no history with us and looking at their league they have very little experience with teams that have significant size and non with a NBA prospect big man who is averaging around 20 point per game the last couple weeks. We will go into the game fresh, with sufficient sleep, and with coach smith who seems to be a mad genius at making gameplans and in game adjustments.

This game won't be easy but I don't see any way for us to get blown out.

"Due to budget cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...."

AggieFanNate

Post by AggieFanNate » March 15th, 2021, 2:27 pm

I also think we should consider that the SDSU game was going to be a very hard one no matter what in a way TT wont be. SDSU lost to us in the championship game 2 years in a row and got beat by us twice this year. They were the ones with the Chip on their shoulder not us going into the Championship game. We went into the game wanting to get a 3rd in a row over them. I think that really does factor into how the game went on saturday. TT will play hard but so will we and I personally think our history the last few years and our loss on saturday will really give Bean and all the guys a chip on their shoulder that will be hard to deal with.
These users thanked the author AggieFanNate for the post:
mcaggie1

USU73
Has thanked: 0

Post by USU73 » March 15th, 2021, 3:11 pm

I think Shulga plays with a lot poise for a freshmen without any minutes until the last 5 or 6 games. He does not hurt you, keeps himself in the in the flow of the game and will come up with the ball on steals, rebounds and makes plays. I like him and think he has a bright future.

Where has Dorius been the last few games. I would have thought with three games in three days he would have been on the floor if not just to get Queta some rest.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

cval

Post by cval » March 15th, 2021, 5:20 pm

I think Shulga, and Ashworth to a smaller extent, played well against middling competition, but against the really good teams they looked a little over-matched. Their worst games have been the last two.

Dorius would not have been a good match-up against CSU's quickness (my opinion). I did expect him top play against SDSU.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » March 15th, 2021, 8:31 pm

Reading through a decently thoughtful bevy of posts here and a few of my simplistic takeaways follow..

1- This year, the home or so called neutral court issue is pretty much a non starter with the dismal and limited crowds.
2- Our Freshmen are now essentially Sophomores with the playing time and seasons experience, so I would expect them to
step up for the T T game and beyond.
3- There are few coaching strategies left "IN THE HAT" at this playoff time of the season. Generally what you have seen is
what you will get at Tip Off with matchups being the wild card no one can honestly foresee.
4- Some players are streak players and can get into a game rhythm. We have a couple of those players on our team.
5- We likely prevailed through some heavy anti USU attitude with the selection committee, so I'd expect we really have a shot
with this game against the prevailing odds.

All this blather through my very NAVY BLUE AGGIE lenses, and I am absolutely an AGGIE.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
918AGG

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » March 15th, 2021, 9:42 pm

What makes me the most confident is that we’ve appeared on no sleeper list and no upset alert. That’s pretty much a death blow.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 16th, 2021, 11:25 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 8:31 pm
Reading through a decently thoughtful bevy of posts here and a few of my simplistic takeaways follow..

1- This year, the home or so called neutral court issue is pretty much a non starter with the dismal and limited crowds.
2- Our Freshmen are now essentially Sophomores with the playing time and seasons experience, so I would expect them to
step up for the T T game and beyond.
3- There are few coaching strategies left "IN THE HAT" at this playoff time of the season. Generally what you have seen is
what you will get at Tip Off with matchups being the wild card no one can honestly foresee.
4- Some players are streak players and can get into a game rhythm. We have a couple of those players on our team.
5- We likely prevailed through some heavy anti USU attitude with the selection committee, so I'd expect we really have a shot
with this game against the prevailing odds.

All this blather through my very NAVY BLUE AGGIE lenses, and I am absolutely an AGGIE.
Hey, that is really good coming from a football guy! You are awesome friend.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 16th, 2021, 12:19 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 10:36 am
I have been reading about Texas T and how many Aggie fans are wondering if we have a chance against them.
Yes, it does look a little daunting to me too. Then I looked at the team rankings (Seed list). Very interesting. Do we really have a chance in this first round game? My answer is YES!!!!!

Texas Tech is 22
BYU is. 23
SDSU is. 24

They are all ranked together.
Excellent point. There is, moreover, this: Sagarin's Predictor has TaTaTech as about a 3 point favorite over USU. That's all. USU has competed pretty darn well against teams in that neighborhood, as you demonstrate. Who's ready to answer the bell and who's going to match better against whom are really the only interesting questions on a game like this. If USU can remain within striking distance at the half, I likes our chances of a mile upset win.

Not that I would do a serious bet with real money on USU winning outright or covering.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Locked Previous topicNext topic