Jerry Palm the Toolbag

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AgsRock
Has thanked: 0

Jerry Palm the Toolbag

Post by AgsRock » March 14th, 2021, 4:54 pm

I will never ever look at his damn shi! bracket again. Guy is a toolbag and hates USU.
These users thanked the author AgsRock for the post:
ViAggie

fetchingaggiefan22

Re: Jerry Palm the Toolbag

Post by fetchingaggiefan22 » March 14th, 2021, 5:03 pm

None of them really know anything. Glad we're in. Lets go win a couple games!!
These users thanked the author fetchingaggiefan22 for the post:
ViAggie

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » March 14th, 2021, 5:06 pm

fetchingaggiefan22 wrote:
March 14th, 2021, 5:03 pm
None of them really know anything. Glad we're in. Lets go win a couple games!!
I hope they do! With an Aggie win and if Arkansas wins that would set up a fun matchup with our favorite ex Nevada coach.
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post:
fetchingaggiefan22

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 14th, 2021, 5:13 pm

Palm was in our corner last year. I think he just followed the crowds that kissed the ground BSU and CSU walked on. He also was great in A Beautiful Mind.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » March 14th, 2021, 5:19 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 14th, 2021, 5:13 pm
Palm was in our corner last year. I think he just followed the crowds that kissed the ground BSU and CSU walked on. He also was great in A Beautiful Mind.
I don’t mind the dude but his brackets are usually off. Favors the eye test over NET.
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

SLB

Post by SLB » March 14th, 2021, 5:27 pm

This is part of why I made that thread about folks like Palm. It showed clear bias, and it was clear that we were in. We had the bye not a play-in game which basically bracket folks did not have. Close to 100% of them had us being in with the play-in game, and it is a lazy projection by the bracket folks and clearly bias against us. Listen to the Louisville fan on CBS crying over the fact that the Aggies are in not Louisville on Selection Sunday while showing their #56 NET ranking. Us getting a bye caught the sports media with their pants down.

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » March 14th, 2021, 5:43 pm

They are just talking heads. No better than cable news. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

Go Aggies!

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » March 14th, 2021, 5:49 pm

The problem is all these guys got lazy. Our net went from 50 to 37 in the mwcc and nobody budged their brackets to reflect that.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 14th, 2021, 5:51 pm

Agezzz wrote:
March 14th, 2021, 5:43 pm
They are just talking heads. No better than cable news. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

Go Aggies!
Well yeah they are just predicters using a formula they believe is close to what the committee will use. They usually get a few wrong every year. Most did have us in the field.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 14th, 2021, 5:57 pm

SLB wrote:
March 14th, 2021, 5:27 pm
This is part of why I made that thread about folks like Palm. It showed clear bias, and it was clear that we were in. We had the bye not a play-in game which basically bracket folks did not have. Close to 100% of them had us being in with the play-in game, and it is a lazy projection by the bracket folks and clearly bias against us. Listen to the Louisville fan on CBS crying over the fact that the Aggies are in not Louisville on Selection Sunday while showing their #56 NET ranking. Us getting a bye caught the sports media with their pants down.
Lol at "caught the sports media with their pants down." Kid, you are being a bit dramatic. We were a projected play in game winner and instead got the seed that play in teams got without being in the play in game. It was hardly some shocking revelation or far off prediction. Syracuse was also projected to be in the play in game by espn, but ended up as a standard 11 seed. Is there clear bias against Syracuse? Did it shock the world? They had West Virginia as a 4 seed and they ended up as a 3 seed. Obviously they hate West Virginia!

Or maybe they are pundits and naturally aren't going to accurately predict all 68 teams along with their seeds and opponents.

SLB

Post by SLB » March 14th, 2021, 7:07 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 14th, 2021, 5:57 pm
SLB wrote:
Lol at "caught the sports media with their pants down." Kid, you are being a bit dramatic. We were a projected play in game winner and instead got the seed that play in teams got without being in the play in game. It was hardly some shocking revelation or far off prediction. Syracuse was also projected to be in the play in game by espn, but ended up as a standard 11 seed. Is there clear bias against Syracuse? Did it shock the world? They had West Virginia as a 4 seed and they ended up as a 3 seed. Obviously they hate West Virginia!

Or maybe they are pundits and naturally aren't going to accurately predict all 68 teams along with their seeds and opponents.
Did you hear that guy on CBS? He was having a meltdown when he saw the Aggies got a bye.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 14th, 2021, 7:15 pm

AgsRock wrote:
March 14th, 2021, 4:54 pm
I will never ever look at his damn shi! bracket again. Guy is a toolbag and hates USU.
You're getting your panties in a wad while he's laughing all the way to the bank. You don't like it? Don't watch his stuff or click on his links.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 14th, 2021, 8:22 pm

SLB wrote:
March 14th, 2021, 7:07 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 14th, 2021, 5:57 pm
SLB wrote:

Did you hear that guy on CBS? He was having a meltdown when he saw the Aggies got a bye.
I will give it to you, your overdramatic posts are entertaining. Lol at Seth Davis saying he had Louisville in as your example of a "meltdown." Most brackets had us in as an 11 seed play in game. We got an 11 seed without the play in game. That isn't some big deviation. There is no mass conspiracy. This wasn't Magic Johnson getting aids, Michael Jordan retiring when he was 30 or Mike Tyson getting suspended from boxing for biting Evander Holyfield's ear. Those were stories that did catch the sports media and the global media with their pants down. A few predictors being slightly off happens every year across the bracket. It is near impossible to predict who gets in and their exact seed.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » March 14th, 2021, 8:25 pm

The fact we were seeded 42 overall says we were safely in.

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » March 15th, 2021, 11:41 am

A lot of these guys are just making educated guesses and they get pretty close. However, here is why I agree that Palm is a toolbag. His last team in was CSU. His first team out was USU. So he looked at these two teams, assumed their resumes were essentially identical and somehow gave the edge to CSU despite the fact that USU was 2-1 against CSU, including a win just two days earlier. If you think two teams are neck and neck and have a recent on court game on a neutral court, why not put the team that won that game ahead of the one that lost? Makes no sense.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » March 15th, 2021, 11:52 am

Aggie702 wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 11:41 am
A lot of these guys are just making educated guesses and they get pretty close. However, here is why I agree that Palm is a toolbag. His last team in was CSU. His first team out was USU. So he looked at these two teams, assumed their resumes were essentially identical and somehow gave the edge to CSU despite the fact that USU was 2-1 against CSU, including a win just two days earlier. If you think two teams are neck and neck and have a recent on court game on a neutral court, why not put the team that won that game ahead of the one that lost? Makes no sense.
Because CSU had a better overall record and no "bad losses". For better or worse, his prediction on the factors the commitee would use were thankfully wrong. I doubt it had anything to do with a secret CSU crush or a USU bias.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
gomretat

USU73
Has thanked: 0

Post by USU73 » March 15th, 2021, 12:06 pm

I have inside information that Jerry Palm gets all his information and research from his barber.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author USU73 for the post (total 2):
NVAggiehipsterdoofus21

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 15th, 2021, 12:09 pm

Palm is an idiot. He had CSU in and us before the semifinals and publicly said that whoever won that game was in. After we won he had us in. Our NET skyrocketed to the 30's and CSU was bumped from the top 50.

24 hours later he reverted his stance and somehow moved CSU back in over us.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 15th, 2021, 12:14 pm

After the CSU victory Teamrankings had USU as being the #42 ranked team in the country and having a 48% chance to make the tournament. After the SDS loss it had USU as being the #45 ranked team in the countey with our chance to make the NCAA tournament down to 1%. It looks like they missed that one.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 15th, 2021, 12:48 pm

treesap32 wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 12:09 pm
Palm is an idiot. He had CSU in and us before the semifinals and publicly said that whoever won that game was in. After we won he had us in. Our NET skyrocketed to the 30's and CSU was bumped from the top 50.

24 hours later he reverted his stance and somehow moved CSU back in over us.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
i just laughed when Palm said that. I was like a day earlier you said the winner was in and now you are back tracking.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 15th, 2021, 12:50 pm

Meh. These guys are just talking heads. He wasn't far off in his prediction.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 15th, 2021, 1:50 pm

The crazy thing is CBS Sports would go to him right after these games were completed and ask him how his bracket predictions had changed given the results. I'm not even sure he watched the games because he's the same dude that said he still had BSU in the tourney even after they lost in the first round to bring their losing streak to 4 straight.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » March 15th, 2021, 3:25 pm

We had a 37 NET ranking and were seeded 42 in the tournament. Steve Luhm of the Salt Lake Tribune hit it right on the head when he posted this on Twitter, in response to a statement from our beloved Hurricane John Newbold:
John Newbold @Hurricane_John Mar 13
Crazy to think as good as the top 4 or 5 teams in the MWC were this season there is a chance they only get 1 team in the Big Dance.

Steve Luhm @sluhm Mar 13
This is exactly why “quad wins” were magically invented and included in the process. They are a self-serving metric that allows the selection folks to exclude deserving mid-majors in favor of 7th- and 8th-place teams from power conferences.
If you don't believe what Steve said, I think you're drinking some kind of goofy liquid. Never were truer words said. I agree that the entire process of "bracketology" is set up to protect the P5 schools money, and give the illusion to the G5's and everybody else that there is a sense of fairness, equalness about it.

If they truly wanted it to be equal, they would have a full-on, Indiana High School-style tournament where everybody, 1-350 is in. Start with everybody playing schools their own size, and working up to a final 32 that earned the right by their play on the court to square off for all the marbles. That's the only way is can ever be totally fair. But because some entitled "power" school might run the risk of getting eliminated by some "Hickory" of a program, it will never even be considered. Like someone mentioned, there were the Louisville fans and their apologists wailing about not being included in The Dance, despite the fact they only barely played 20 games? Criminy, talk about a sense of entitlement.

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » March 15th, 2021, 4:12 pm

AggiesForever wrote: If they truly wanted it to be equal, they would have a full-on, Indiana High School-style tournament where everybody, 1-350 is in. Start with everybody playing schools their own size, and working up to a final 32 that earned the right by their play on the court to square off for all the marbles. That's the only way is can ever be totally fair.
I mostly agree with your post, but isn't this essentially what we already have? Unless I'm missing a joke or something.

As of 2017 each conference has a tournament where the winner advances to the NCAA tournament. This would be the "start with everybody playing schools their own size" part of your statement. Instead of a final 32, there are 68 that square off for all the marbles, so 36 teams get a second chance. That is the part where the power teams have an unfair advantage, since it seems the overwhelming majority go to them. So it's the at-large selection that is problematic, because if you extend the NCAA Tournament bracket out from each of the 32 AQ teams, you'd have a giant gnarly bracket that is inclusive of every team.

I don't have a problem with the at-large selections generally, but I think it needs to be more equitable. I'd love to see ideas for that, such as capping bids by conference, more transparency in selection criteria, a requirement that teams need to make it to a certain point in the conference tournament, or other ideas.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » March 15th, 2021, 5:35 pm

Agezzz wrote:
March 14th, 2021, 5:43 pm

Go Aggies!
Point set match!!!!! We need to win a couple of games to EARN cred with these talking heads. Excellent post Agezzz.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » March 15th, 2021, 6:12 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 3:25 pm
We had a 37 NET ranking and were seeded 42 in the tournament. Steve Luhm of the Salt Lake Tribune hit it right on the head when he posted this on Twitter, in response to a statement from our beloved Hurricane John Newbold:
John Newbold @Hurricane_John Mar 13
Crazy to think as good as the top 4 or 5 teams in the MWC were this season there is a chance they only get 1 team in the Big Dance.

Steve Luhm @sluhm Mar 13
This is exactly why “quad wins” were magically invented and included in the process. They are a self-serving metric that allows the selection folks to exclude deserving mid-majors in favor of 7th- and 8th-place teams from power conferences.
If you don't believe what Steve said, I think you're drinking some kind of goofy liquid. Never were truer words said. I agree that the entire process of "bracketology" is set up to protect the P5 schools money, and give the illusion to the G5's and everybody else that there is a sense of fairness, equalness about it.

If they truly wanted it to be equal, they would have a full-on, Indiana High School-style tournament where everybody, 1-350 is in. Start with everybody playing schools their own size, and working up to a final 32 that earned the right by their play on the court to square off for all the marbles. That's the only way is can ever be totally fair. But because some entitled "power" school might run the risk of getting eliminated by some "Hickory" of a program, it will never even be considered. Like someone mentioned, there were the Louisville fans and their apologists wailing about not being included in The Dance, despite the fact they only barely played 20 games? Criminy, talk about a sense of entitlement.
One of the things that drive me nuts is there unwillingness to play true road games. You look at some of their schedules and they barely play any games on the road. Everyone should have the same number of Home and away games.

Back to your point, they are afraid they will get beat.

Locked Previous topicNext topic