The rotation gets shorter and shorter

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Bank Shot

The rotation gets shorter and shorter

Post by Bank Shot » March 13th, 2021, 9:51 am

It's that time of year when you have to go with the experience. Bairstow and Dorius didn't play. I have hopes for Shulga but he's just not ready for the moment, which is understandable given his age and experience. The stage is just too big for him right now and he turned into a spectator last night in his 3 minutes and stood and watched a guy go to the hoop. Maybe Dorius will get a bit of time tonight with SDSU's bigs in the game. If we have to go deeper I think I'd rather see Bairstow than Shulga.

flying_scotsman2.0

Re: The rotation gets shorter and shorter

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 13th, 2021, 10:08 am

I think Smith was wise not to play either of them. They just don't work well against CSU's smaller, faster lineup. I think we'll see both tonight.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » March 13th, 2021, 10:15 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
March 13th, 2021, 10:08 am
I think Smith was wise not to play either of them. They just don't work well against CSU's smaller, faster lineup. I think we'll see both tonight.
I don't think we'll see either of them today barring foul trouble. Dorius provided great back-up minutes all year, but he was absolutely atrocious against UNLV. Smith will go with Anderson/Bean when Queta rests. And there's just no reason to play Bairstow.
These users thanked the author MarioWest for the post:
utaggies

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 13th, 2021, 10:40 am

MarioWest wrote:
March 13th, 2021, 10:15 am
I don't think we'll see either of them today barring foul trouble. Dorius provided great back-up minutes all year, but he was absolutely atrocious against UNLV. Smith will go with Anderson/Bean when Queta rests. And there's just no reason to play Bairstow.

That's what I was referring to when I said IF we have to. I'd rather see Bairstow under those terms, but if Craig goes Shulga then I'm just another fan and poster that doesn't know squat. TRUST IN SMITH. I think the use of his bench and his rotations this year have been excellent and is another one of his strong points.

SLB

Post by SLB » March 13th, 2021, 10:42 am

Bank Shot wrote:
March 13th, 2021, 9:51 am
It's that time of year when you have to go with the experience. Bairstow and Dorius didn't play. I have hopes for Shulga but he's just not ready for the moment, which is understandable given his age and experience. The stage is just too big for him right now and he turned into a spectator last night in his 3 minutes and stood and watched a guy go to the hoop. Maybe Dorius will get a bit of time tonight with SDSU's bigs in the game. If we have to go deeper I think I'd rather see Bairstow than Shulga.
Shulga seems to be getting the feel of the game at a higher level.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » March 13th, 2021, 11:13 am

Shulga has done nothing in two games of the tournament. You were saying he should start over Anthony next season. Anthony was MVP in game 1 and played good game 2. Anthony could be all MWC tournament team and Shulga may come out with 0 points and nothing to help the team. Worster has played well, Miller hasn't been as good as the rest of the season but has the respect of other teams and is enough to space the floor which is needed. Today is not the day to be lauding Shulga.

I hope Shulga improves and becomes a starter for us someday, I have hopes for him but he is not there yet and it will take more than one good game to be a starter. I can see him potentially moving ahead of Ashworth for minutes but not overtaking the other three for a starting role.

SLB

Post by SLB » March 13th, 2021, 11:17 am

Coloraggie wrote:
March 13th, 2021, 11:13 am
Shulga has done nothing in two games of the tournament. You were saying he should start over Anthony next season. Anthony was MVP in game 1 and played good game 2. Anthony could be all MWC tournament team and Shulga may come out with 0 points and nothing to help the team. Worster has played well, Miller hasn't been as good as the rest of the season but has the respect of other teams and is enough to space the floor which is needed. Today is not the day to be lauding Shulga.

I hope Shulga improves and becomes a starter for us someday, I have hopes for him but he is not there yet and it will take more than one good game to be a starter. I can see him potentially moving ahead of Ashworth for minutes but not overtaking the other three for a starting role.
Shulga is also something like 4-5 years younger than Anthony. Shulga is improving at an impressive rate.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 13th, 2021, 11:20 am

MarioWest wrote:
What do you mean? Bairstow scored 4 points in less than 30 seconds against UNLV. :noidea:

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 13th, 2021, 11:22 am

SLB wrote:
March 13th, 2021, 11:17 am
Coloraggie wrote:

Shulga is also something like 4-5 years younger than Anthony. Shulga is improving at an impressive rate.
Sigh!

SLB

Post by SLB » March 13th, 2021, 11:23 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
March 13th, 2021, 11:20 am
MarioWest wrote:
What do you mean? Bairstow scored 4 points in less than 30 seconds against UNLV. :noidea:
Bairstow is at his best in the 1st game MWCT for 2 years in a row.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 13th, 2021, 11:26 am

Nobody's degrading Shulga's potential. But did you watch those 3 minutes last night? He completely blew a defensive assignment and on offense he looked scared to even touch the ball. This whole Anthony/Shulga comparison by projection doesn't mean a thing as it pertains as to who should be on the floor in a MWC Championship game with an NCAA bid on the line. Save the love for Shulga for next year and the years after and we'll all join in on the love fest with you with open arms.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post (total 3):
aggies22Real Life AggieColoraggie

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 13th, 2021, 11:27 am

SLB wrote:
March 13th, 2021, 11:23 am
mcaggie1 wrote:
MarioWest wrote:
I was being facetious. He went in at cleanup time.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
aggies22

SLB

Post by SLB » March 13th, 2021, 11:36 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
March 13th, 2021, 11:27 am
SLB wrote:
March 13th, 2021, 11:23 am
mcaggie1 wrote:
MarioWest wrote:
I was being facetious. He went in at cleanup time.
i was being silly and pointing out an odd theme with Bairstow.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
mcaggie1

SLB

Post by SLB » March 13th, 2021, 11:42 am

Bank Shot wrote:
March 13th, 2021, 11:26 am
Nobody's degrading Shulga's potential. But did you watch those 3 minutes last night? He completely blew a defensive assignment and on offense he looked scared to even touch the ball. This whole Anthony/Shulga comparison by projection doesn't mean a thing as it pertains as to who should be on the floor in a MWC Championship game with an NCAA bid on the line. Save the love for Shulga for next year and the years after and we'll all join in on the love fest with you with open arms.
I was pointing out that Shulga keeps improving (he makes good passes that keeps the offense going), and we forget how young Shulga is. There are HS Seniors that we look at that are older than Shulga. It is a big tournament that has gotten on Shulga's nerves at times. We were playing not to foul last night, and Shulga has been rattled by bad foul calls (that UNLV game foul calling on Worster and Shulga was terrible) on him from looks of it.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 13th, 2021, 11:48 am

It has gotten shorter as it should. That being said i believe dorius, shulga or bairstow will make a play tonight to help win the game in their limited minutes.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » March 13th, 2021, 1:28 pm

Bairstow has developed a nice outside shot and has always been able to slash well. We could use that on the floor. The only problem is that he gets sped up way too easily and turns the ball over. SDSU’s defense is particularly good at doing that to you. Though I like Bairstow’s offense more than Shulga’s, I know Coach Smith values possessions and trusts Shulga won’t turn it over as much.

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » March 13th, 2021, 3:03 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
March 13th, 2021, 11:22 am
SLB wrote:
Coloraggie wrote:

Sigh!
I want in on this trolling game! Shulga will start next year! All it takes is one person to defend his unlikely prediction and a few passive comments from others that don’t take a side and this fan board carries it on for months!

SLB

Post by SLB » March 13th, 2021, 6:59 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
March 13th, 2021, 3:03 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
March 13th, 2021, 11:22 am
SLB wrote:
Coloraggie wrote:

Sigh!
I want in on this trolling game! Shulga will start next year! All it takes is one person to defend his unlikely prediction and a few passive comments from others that don’t take a side and this fan board carries it on for months!
I roll with what I say.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » March 13th, 2021, 7:24 pm

I would have like to have seen Asheorth get a little more time. He’s small but normally a solid shooter and ball handler.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 13th, 2021, 7:30 pm

Some of you have small pen!s syndrome when it comes to SLB. Let it go. No need to trash Shulga just because you don't like SLB's opinions. Good grief. How lame some of these posts are! :crazy:

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 13th, 2021, 7:43 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
March 13th, 2021, 7:30 pm
Some of you have small pen!s syndrome when it comes to SLB. Let it go. No need to trash Shulga just because you don't like SLB's opinions. Good grief. How lame some of these posts are! :crazy:
Geese, we can’t tease anymore?

Locked Previous topicNext topic