At-large watch

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Re: At-large watch

Post by slcagg » March 11th, 2021, 12:50 pm

Coach k has wanted the season since it early in the season. No surprise that he is calling it.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 11th, 2021, 12:54 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 11th, 2021, 12:44 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 11th, 2021, 9:34 am
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 11th, 2021, 7:06 am
scotlandog wrote:
March 10th, 2021, 8:43 pm
BiocatAg wrote:
SpectrumMagic wrote:
March 10th, 2021, 6:22 pm
Duke is winning - watch new projections tomorrow where Duke replaces Xavier
Watching halftime of the ISU-Oklahoma game, they said that Syracuse replaced Xavier on Lunardi's bracket. He still had USU as first out.
Yeah Cuse and X just switched. It’s going to be tough to get back in. I don’t think they will project is in unless we are replacing Boise or CSU.

Also, Penn St is on the ropes against a bad Nebraska team. Penn St is just ahead of us in the NET.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Penn State has a losing record and is ineligible for an at-large bid. No need to worry about them.
They're not ineligible for an at large. They are 8-12 vs q1 and q2 teams. If they win two more games in the tournament I think they're in. Win one more and they're an interesting case study.

Win one more and they are not eligible for the NCAA tournament. You are not eligible for the NCAA tournament as an at-large with a losing record. Win 2 games and they would be eligible but highly unlikely. They don't give at-large bids to .500 teams even though they are eligible for one.
That's not a rule. Ineligible and should probably not get in are different things. The selection committee can take any team they want. There are plenty of blog posts about penn state's chances at an at large. Especially with the context of covid. Penn state would have 6-8 more wins with a normal non conference cupcake schedule.

It has certainly been a rule for a long time and has been stated repeatedly by announcers and analysists since I've been watching basketball. No team has ever got an at-large bid with a losing record and Penn State won't get in with a losing record.

You are more than welcome to try and find an at-large team that has made the NCAA tournament with a losing record, but you won't find one. .500 teams are eligible, but are not selected.
It's not a rule. It just hasn't happened for obvious reasons. But there haven't been many seasons in a pandemic without an OOC.

It has always been a criteria for an at-large bid that you can't have a losing record. Maybe they have changed that rule for this one season because of a pandemic, but it won't matter. Penn State won't be in the tournament with a rule change or not. There are far more deserving teams ahead of them. By the time they jump all the teams ahead of them they would have won their conference tournament anyway.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 11th, 2021, 12:57 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 11th, 2021, 12:50 pm
Coach k has wanted the season since it early in the season. No surprise that he is calling it.
Pretty surprising to do it today if it wasn't legit. "Hey guys you won 2 games the last 2 days and are one win away from being on the right side of the bubble and likely getting in the tournament, but we are going to cancel your season!"

If they were going to pull some sleazy Jeff Linder nonsense they would have done it before the ACC tournament.

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » March 11th, 2021, 1:00 pm

March 11th, 2021, 12:57 pm
slcagg wrote:
Pretty surprising to do it today if it wasn't legit. "Hey guys you won 2 games the last 2 days and are one win away from being on the right side of the bubble and likely getting in the tournament, but we are going to cancel your season!"

If they were going to pull some sleazy Jeff Linder nonsense they would have done it before the ACC tournament.
I agree with you. I mentioned this earlier but am curious how this affects Louisville since they played Duke yesterday? Wonder if Louisville will have any Covid issues?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 11th, 2021, 1:06 pm

ChicagoAggie wrote:
March 11th, 2021, 1:00 pm
March 11th, 2021, 12:57 pm
slcagg wrote:

I agree with you. I mentioned this earlier but am curious how this affects Louisville since they played Duke yesterday? Wonder if Louisville will have any Covid issues?
I don't know about Louisville. I guess we will see what happens with them over the next week. Definitely a weird situation. I hate to feel sorry for Duke especially when we are competing with them for one of the last spots in the field, but just as a competitor you hate to see players lose out on a shot of the tournament in this way. I would rather lose to unlv tonight than have it come out we have to end our season without playing.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » March 11th, 2021, 1:21 pm

Sounds to me like we are competing against our own conference mates Boise and CSU for a spot. I think the MW will get 2 teams in the dance regardless of how things play out. We are seen as a 2 bid league at this point. So, if both Boise and CSU lose today and we win today but lose either tomorrow or in the championship, I think we would pass them in the projections and take the second spot assuming SDSU went on to win it all. No?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 11th, 2021, 1:26 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
March 11th, 2021, 1:21 pm
Sounds to me like we are competing against our own conference mates Boise and CSU for a spot. I think the MW will get 2 teams in the dance regardless of how things play out. We are seen as a 2 bid league at this point. So, if both Boise and CSU lose today and we win today but lose either tomorrow or in the championship, I think we would pass them in the projections and take the second spot assuming SDSU went on to win it all. No?
Yep just win baby! Duke and Xavier are no longer teams we need to worry about. Just win today and win tomorrow. Of course at that point we just need to close the deal and threepeat this thing.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 11th, 2021, 1:30 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 11th, 2021, 12:44 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 11th, 2021, 9:34 am
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 11th, 2021, 7:06 am
scotlandog wrote:
March 10th, 2021, 8:43 pm
BiocatAg wrote:
SpectrumMagic wrote:
March 10th, 2021, 6:22 pm
Duke is winning - watch new projections tomorrow where Duke replaces Xavier
Watching halftime of the ISU-Oklahoma game, they said that Syracuse replaced Xavier on Lunardi's bracket. He still had USU as first out.
Yeah Cuse and X just switched. It’s going to be tough to get back in. I don’t think they will project is in unless we are replacing Boise or CSU.

Also, Penn St is on the ropes against a bad Nebraska team. Penn St is just ahead of us in the NET.

Penn State has a losing record and is ineligible for an at-large bid. No need to worry about them.
They're not ineligible for an at large. They are 8-12 vs q1 and q2 teams. If they win two more games in the tournament I think they're in. Win one more and they're an interesting case study.

Win one more and they are not eligible for the NCAA tournament. You are not eligible for the NCAA tournament as an at-large with a losing record. Win 2 games and they would be eligible but highly unlikely. They don't give at-large bids to .500 teams even though they are eligible for one.
That's not a rule. Ineligible and should probably not get in are different things. The selection committee can take any team they want. There are plenty of blog posts about penn state's chances at an at large. Especially with the context of covid. Penn state would have 6-8 more wins with a normal non conference cupcake schedule.

It has certainly been a rule for a long time and has been stated repeatedly by announcers and analysists since I've been watching basketball. No team has ever got an at-large bid with a losing record and Penn State won't get in with a losing record.

You are more than welcome to try and find an at-large team that has made the NCAA tournament with a losing record, but you won't find one. .500 teams are eligible, but are not selected.
It's not a rule. It just hasn't happened for obvious reasons. But there haven't been many seasons in a pandemic without an OOC.

It has always been a criteria for an at-large bid that you can't have a losing record. Maybe they have changed that rule for this one season because of a pandemic, but it won't matter. Penn State won't be in the tournament with a rule change or not. There are far more deserving teams ahead of them. By the time they jump all the teams ahead of them they would have won their conference tournament anyway.
Not sure if you're confusing bowl rules but I've never heard of such a rule. It's just a moot point since no team under 500 ever has deserved a bid. And I'm not saying penn state does either.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » March 11th, 2021, 3:22 pm

All of these who's in and who's out lists are all speculation and the final teams in and out could be slightly different than the all-great and powerful Lundardi or other people who get paid to write articles saying what the net rankings already tell us. Is there anyone who is considered more accurate and usually gets the field correct over any of the other seers of bracketology?

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 11th, 2021, 3:26 pm

With Villanova losing today it guarantees a bid stealer will make the final game. Hopefully Creighton makes it and wins the final. That should stop a bid steal there.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 11th, 2021, 3:48 pm

Lundardi makes great predictions once all of the conference tournaments are over. Not to toot my own horn but I'm pretty good at making predictions of mostly given outcomes too.

cval

Post by cval » March 11th, 2021, 4:45 pm

Yeah. Being able to change your predictions every day tends to make your final predictions pretty accurate.
These users thanked the author cval for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » March 11th, 2021, 5:27 pm

We did our own bracket using the rules the committee uses about 10-12 years ago. I think we got 63-64 teams right and the only one we missed was leaving USU out. There are 68 teams now but 34 auto bids, probably 20 deep locks, another 5-10 locks and then guessing last 4-9 teams. Not all that hard.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » March 11th, 2021, 5:38 pm

Lol you are dogging on Lunardi for making changes after teams win and lose? How dare he!

Michigan State lost, Syracuse lost, Boise lost.

Just win the next 2 and we are in easy.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 11th, 2021, 6:21 pm

UCLA just lost to Oregon St.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 11th, 2021, 6:58 pm

Looks like the biggest knock on USU is they don't have a quality win on the road. Two wins against SDSU and one against CSU are the best wins and they were all at home. If we could have won just one game at BSU that would have made a huge difference
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
ProvoAggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 11th, 2021, 7:09 pm

Yossarian wrote:
March 11th, 2021, 6:58 pm
Looks like the biggest knock on USU is they don't have a quality win on the road. Two wins against SDSU and one against CSU are the best wins and they were all at home. If we could have won just one game at BSU that would have made a huge difference
They also claim that USU is the only one of the bunch with a bad loss completely ignoring that Boise has a Q4 home loss to Fresno State that is far worse than our loss to UNLV. They see what they want to see.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 11th, 2021, 8:03 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
March 11th, 2021, 7:09 pm
Yossarian wrote:
March 11th, 2021, 6:58 pm
They also claim that USU is the only one of the bunch with a bad loss completely ignoring that Boise has a Q4 home loss to Fresno State that is far worse than our loss to UNLV. They see what they want to see.
This, a quad 4 home loss is way worse than our quad 3 road loss or neutral quad 3 loss.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
aggies22

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 11th, 2021, 9:07 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
March 11th, 2021, 5:27 pm
We did our own bracket using the rules the committee uses about 10-12 years ago. I think we got 63-64 teams right and the only one we missed was leaving USU out. There are 68 teams now but 34 auto bids, probably 20 deep locks, another 5-10 locks and then guessing last 4-9 teams. Not all that hard.
No. I’m dogging people that put too much on Lunardi and make him out to be a prophet.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 11th, 2021, 9:10 pm

I’m predicting a jump in net ranking by 4 spots for us after today.

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » March 11th, 2021, 9:13 pm

AgsRock
Has thanked: 0

Post by AgsRock » March 11th, 2021, 9:17 pm

Boise's goose has got to be cooked.

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » March 11th, 2021, 9:23 pm

I feel like the team looked very much like a tourney team, dominating with Queta, the wild card for us is staying healthy, and Miller getting back on track .. 3-4 3's a game will be key. Anderson and Bean looked very solid, and Anthony looks like a much better player his development keeps improving.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 11th, 2021, 9:26 pm

Penn St goes down

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 11th, 2021, 9:39 pm

LoveMyAggies wrote:
March 11th, 2021, 9:13 pm
https://www.allmysportsteamssuck.com/nc ... -rankings/

we jumped to 46 on the net
What is that ranking? It isn't NET and last I'd seen the NET hadn't been reverse engineered.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
Roy McAvoy

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 11th, 2021, 9:48 pm

LoveMyAggies wrote:
March 11th, 2021, 9:23 pm
I feel like the team looked very much like a tourney team, dominating with Queta, the wild card for us is staying healthy, and Miller getting back on track .. 3-4 3's a game will be key. Anderson and Bean looked very solid, and Anthony looks like a much better player his development keeps improving.
Haha byu #12? Those aren’t the NET rankings.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 11th, 2021, 9:50 pm

So CSU or Fresno? I’m not convinced it really matters for us. A CSU loss probably eliminates them from at-large contention, which would seem to help us just as much as beating them tomorrow would, no?

I’ll be feeling good if we win tomorrow (no matter who it is) and if SDSU wins tomorrow.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 11th, 2021, 9:52 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 11th, 2021, 9:50 pm
So CSU or Fresno? I’m not convinced it really matters for us. A CSU loss probably eliminates them from at-large contention, which would seem to help us just as much as beating them tomorrow would, no?
I don't know as well. I think if CSU wins and lose to them we still have a decent shot to make it to the tournament. ON the flip side if Fresno beats them it will be an easier matchup in my opinion with Fresno.

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » March 12th, 2021, 3:57 pm

SMU Lost - they were listed as next four out (after first four out)

Seton Hall is playing Georgetown soon and is listed in first four out
Ole Miss plays LSU tonight and is first team out
Memphis plays UCF and is listed in next four out

Rooting for Utah State, Georgetown, LSU and UCF

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » March 12th, 2021, 4:08 pm

Many of you know that I occasionally receive inside information.

My contact informed me that if we win our next two games, that we are a lock for the big dance!

FWIW
/This contact is a 7/10 reliable.
These users thanked the author ChowderAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

usu99

Post by usu99 » March 12th, 2021, 4:39 pm

Toledo is going to lose. Does that matter?

For all of your IT needs send me a PM!!

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » March 12th, 2021, 4:43 pm

usu99 wrote:
March 12th, 2021, 4:39 pm
Toledo is going to lose. Does that matter?
No they are not listed anywhere being mentioned for at large consideration so a bid wont be stolen

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 12th, 2021, 6:02 pm

Seton Hall on the verge of losing... down 3 and fouled a 3pt shooter with 21 secs left

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 12th, 2021, 6:05 pm

Seton Hall falls

Just Ole Miss left to go down

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 12th, 2021, 6:11 pm

scotlandog wrote:
March 12th, 2021, 6:05 pm
Seton Hall falls

Just Ole Miss left to go down

We need georgetown to los to uconn or creighton tomorrow.

Locked Previous topicNext topic