At-large watch

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: At-large watch

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 8th, 2021, 10:50 am

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
March 8th, 2021, 10:40 am
Stormblessed wrote:
March 8th, 2021, 9:40 am
I just wish they would put a cap on the number of teams from a conference. I get that the #7 team in the ACC or #8 team in the Big10 is probably better than winner of the Northeast conference or the winner of the Southland conference, but I have felt like if you are finishing somewhere near the middle of your conference you shouldn't be rewarded with a chance to to play for the national championship. I feel like capping it at like 6 teams max per conference would be more than fair. It just seems ridiculous even if the Big-10 is really good to be giving bids to teams that finished in the bottom half of their conference.
At least do it like bowl games and make it so you can’t be under .500 and make it. 10-13 is not a tournament team. I don’t care what conference you are in.
They do. The only way you can make the tournament with a losing record is by winning the auto bid.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 8th, 2021, 7:59 pm

This is hard to hear and say, but we want BYU to win tonight.

You know what, we don’t want them to win per se. It’s just in our interest that they don’t lose so there is no possibility of a WCC bid steal.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 8th, 2021, 8:23 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 8th, 2021, 7:59 pm

You know what, we don’t want them to win per se. It’s just in our interest that they don’t lose so there is no possibility of a WCC bid steal.
I agree with you. South Dakota State lost today in its conference tourney. That’s another hit to our NET. Go Cougars ! [I just threw up in my mouth!]

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 8th, 2021, 8:27 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:

Speaking of which they are playing the number 3 seed in Pepperdine who is 12-11.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 8th, 2021, 8:27 pm

Pepperdine has no chance of beating Gonzaga even if they get past byu. No bid will be stolen in the WCC.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
ProvoAggie

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 8th, 2021, 9:25 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:

Gonzaga hasn't lost all year and they won't be losing in their tourney either. I've never been so sure about a team winning their conference tournament but they are so much better than everyone else in that conference. Take them out of the conference and the average NET in the conference drops by 14. I doubt there is any other team that has that much of an impact.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 8th, 2021, 10:12 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
March 8th, 2021, 9:25 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

Gonzaga hasn't lost all year and they won't be losing in their tourney either. I've never been so sure about a team winning their conference tournament but they are so much better than everyone else in that conference. Take them out of the conference and the average NET in the conference drops by 14. I doubt there is any other team that has that much of an impact.
Though we can cheer for BYU to lose not worrying about the bid stealing cause of the certainty Gonzaga is winning it anyways, there were years that wasn't the case when BYU was in the Mountain West. I remember once we were in Reno and word spread that BYU lost in their conference tournament and everyone was celebrating them losing, but I was thinking that was not the least bit a good thing cause of a bid being needed for us. There was another year, when they had Jimmer and were safely in, we were in competition with their semi-final opponent, New Mexico, for a bid so I had to not want them to lose that one.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 9th, 2021, 1:20 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
March 8th, 2021, 10:12 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
March 8th, 2021, 9:25 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

Though we can cheer for BYU to lose not worrying about the bid stealing cause of the certainty Gonzaga is winning it anyways, there were years that wasn't the case when BYU was in the Mountain West. I remember once we were in Reno and word spread that BYU lost in their conference tournament and everyone was celebrating them losing, but I was thinking that was not the least bit a good thing cause of a bid being needed for us. There was another year, when they had Jimmer and were safely in, we were in competition with their semi-final opponent, New Mexico, for a bid so I had to not want them to lose that one.
2004 we thought we were safely in, but Utah beat byu in the conference tournament and byu still got in over us despite us beating them. That was a bad year with us not getting in and the case could be made byu got in unfairly over us and Utah stole our bid by winning the MW when they probably don't get in as an at-large.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 9th, 2021, 5:20 am

BYU path to the conference finals. Win one game vs a legit .500 team in Pepperdine who was the 3 seed. Yikes.

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » March 9th, 2021, 6:46 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

San Jose State, but opposite. They are the anti-Gonzaga.

A few weeks ago I looked at the average NET of the WCC and the MW after removing Gonzaga and SJSU respectively, and they were very close to being the same.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » March 9th, 2021, 6:50 am

slcagg wrote:
March 8th, 2021, 8:27 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

Speaking of which they are playing the number 3 seed in Pepperdine who is 12-11.
The BYU-Pepperdine game is a good reminder that this time of year higher seed teams are going to get lower seed teams their best shot. BYU barely eeked out a win in overtime against a 12-11 Pepperdine team. This is not surprising for any team, and we should beware and know that we're going to get other conference teams their best shot going into this tournament starting with the quarterfinals. But who are we kidding, we already know this. After all we are two-time Mountain West Conference tournament champions who got Wyoming's best shot in last years tournament, and New Mexico's best shot at the tournament before. Those teams we're very much like Pepperdine who wanted to hit us in the mouth from the get-go. Teams will be gunning for us in this tournament, and we need to be ready.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 9th, 2021, 7:06 am

I guess my point is that the 3 seed in the wcc this year finished the year 12-12. That is not very impressive.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 9th, 2021, 7:14 am

If I was a Zag fan I would be sad that my team didn't make the move to the MW. Almost every game in conference you can mark it up as an automatic win by 40. Right now they have BYU. They are getting more money from the WCC, but it's not like you need limitless money for basketball like you do football. I think it would be better to be a conference that would challenge them a little and better prepare them for the NCAA tournament.

That's just what I think my perspective would be as a fan, though.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 9th, 2021, 7:35 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
March 9th, 2021, 7:14 am
If I was a Zag fan I would be sad that my team didn't make the move to the MW. Almost every game in conference you can mark it up as an automatic win by 40. Right now they have BYU. They are getting more money from the WCC, but it's not like you need limitless money for basketball like you do football. I think it would be better to be a conference that would challenge them a little and better prepare them for the NCAA tournament.

One thing that the wcc didn’t have this year were sub 300 teams which really helped the ranking of the conference. The mw had 3 sub 300 teams that really dragged down the conference. 2 of those seem to have a hard time getting out of that sub 300 in Air Force and sjsu. Sjsu was about as bad of add to the conference as you could get. Buts it is all about markets right? People in the Bay Area are really interested in watching sjsu play I’m sure.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 9th, 2021, 8:44 am

Aggiealum13 wrote:
March 9th, 2021, 6:50 am
slcagg wrote:
March 8th, 2021, 8:27 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

The BYU-Pepperdine game is a good reminder that this time of year higher seed teams are going to get lower seed teams their best shot. BYU barely eeked out a win in overtime against a 12-11 Pepperdine team. This is not surprising for any team, and we should beware and know that we're going to get other conference teams their best shot going into this tournament starting with the quarterfinals. But who are we kidding, we already know this. After all we are two-time Mountain West Conference tournament champions who got Wyoming's best shot in last years tournament, and New Mexico's best shot at the tournament before. Those teams we're very much like Pepperdine who wanted to hit us in the mouth from the get-go. Teams will be gunning for us in this tournament, and we need to be ready.
I agree that teams are giving their best shot right now but BYU struggled with Pepperdine this year. In Provo Pepperdine had it to a 3 point game with just 4 minutes left and BYU lost at Pepperdine.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 9th, 2021, 10:00 am

slcagg wrote:
March 9th, 2021, 7:35 am

One thing that the wcc didn’t have this year were sub 300 teams which really helped the ranking of the conference. The mw had 3 sub 300 teams that really dragged down the conference. 2 of those seem to have a hard time getting out of that sub 300 in Air Force and sjsu. Sjsu was about as bad of add to the conference as you could get. Buts it is all about markets right? People in the Bay Area are really interested in watching sjsu play I’m sure.
Yep when I got to San Francisco it is hard to get a conversation going with someone from there without them bringing up their love of San Jose State basketball. Luckily I have never been to San Jose. I imagine the obsession there is off the charts.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
slcagg

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 9th, 2021, 10:26 am

Down with the zoobs, NET be damned.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 3):
ViAggie3rdGenAggieaggies22

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 9th, 2021, 10:29 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
March 9th, 2021, 10:26 am
They won in OT. They won't win tonight though.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
ViAggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 9th, 2021, 10:35 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
March 9th, 2021, 10:29 am
Real Life Aggie wrote:
I hope the Zags blow them out of the building, winning by a good 30 pts.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
ViAggieaggies22

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 9th, 2021, 10:37 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
March 9th, 2021, 10:35 am
ProvoAggie wrote:
Real Life Aggie wrote:
40 - take it to the bank :joking:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 9th, 2021, 10:41 am

ViAggie wrote:
March 9th, 2021, 10:37 am
Real Life Aggie wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
Real Life Aggie wrote:
Spread is only 14. If you're sure about 40 you can actually take it to the bank and get a pretty good return.

usu99

Post by usu99 » March 9th, 2021, 1:49 pm

zags cover easy

For all of your IT needs send me a PM!!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 9th, 2021, 4:32 pm

Duke just won. Probably not much of a concern, but just to be on the safe side it will be good if they lose to Louisville tomorrow.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 9th, 2021, 6:50 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 9th, 2021, 4:32 pm
Duke just won. Probably not much of a concern, but just to be on the safe side it will be good if they lose to Louisville tomorrow.
Even if we were either firmly out or firmly in, I would still be wanting them to lose just cause I like the idea of them missing the tournament. And I don't even hate them, just think it would be cool to see a tournament without them.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 9th, 2021, 7:35 pm

BYU up on Zags by double digits.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 9th, 2021, 7:47 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
March 9th, 2021, 7:35 pm
They shoot the three much better than the Aggies

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 9th, 2021, 7:54 pm

Yossarian wrote:
March 9th, 2021, 7:47 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
March 9th, 2021, 7:35 pm
They shoot the three much better than the Aggies
most teams do. that is our kryptonite. we shoot the 3 ball better to go along with our defense and rebounding and we would be a top 20 team. one can always hope, right.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 9th, 2021, 9:10 pm

ViAggie wrote:
March 9th, 2021, 10:37 am
Real Life Aggie wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
Real Life Aggie wrote:
Hope you didn't bet your house on it. Do we need to start a GoFundMe for you to get back on your feet?
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
aggies22

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 10th, 2021, 12:14 am

slcagg wrote:

Problem solved, replace SJSU with Gonzaga

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 10th, 2021, 5:52 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 10th, 2021, 12:14 am
slcagg wrote:

Problem solved, replace SJSU with Gonzaga
If only it was that easy.

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » March 10th, 2021, 8:39 am

We should all be big Butler fans today. They play Xavier which is barely above us on most brackets. Go bulldogs.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 10th, 2021, 8:50 am

Duke made a huge 9pt jump in the NET for the their “incredible” victory over 4-win Boston College(182)- ACC equivalent of SJSU. What garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 10th, 2021, 9:02 am

scotlandog wrote:
March 10th, 2021, 8:50 am
Duke made a huge 9pt jump in the NET for the their “incredible” victory over 4-win Boston College(182)- ACC equivalent of SJSU. What garbage.

I looked to see if Boston College had pulled off a Q1 win somewhere, but they are 0-14 in Q1 and Q2 combined, 3-1 in Q3 and 1-1 in Q4. The only explanation is something that Provo Aggie has referred to that it's possible Duke was only separated by a very small margin from the teams they jumped. 9 places seems like a stretch though. Transparency is something the NCAA is not fond of.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
aggies22

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 10th, 2021, 9:30 am

Bank Shot wrote:
March 10th, 2021, 9:02 am
scotlandog wrote:
March 10th, 2021, 8:50 am

I looked to see if Boston College had pulled off a Q1 win somewhere, but they are 0-14 in Q1 and Q2 combined, 3-1 in Q3 and 1-1 in Q4. The only explanation is something that Provo Aggie has referred to that it's possible Duke was only separated by a very small margin from the teams they jumped. 9 places seems like a stretch though. Transparency is something the NCAA is not fond of.
9 spots for beating the 186 rated team on a neutral court. CSU dropped like 8 spots by playing on the road against a top 100 team in Nevada. These things don't make sense.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 10th, 2021, 9:54 am

Even though win margin is capped at 10 points in NET, Duke winning by 35 probably gave them a decent boost in other metrics. SDSU jumped up 15 spots earlier this year by beating Air Force (318) by 32 and 37. CSU did drop 9 spots after the Nevada game but they lost that game and some teams behind them won.

Locked Previous topicNext topic