Point Guard Minutes

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Point Guard Minutes

Post by USU78 » November 3rd, 2010, 10:48 am

So . . . we have two new PGs, one a JC sharpshooter who didn't get hardly an assist in the first exhibition game and the other a Frosh phenom who dished the ball great and didn't turn the ball over, but who is an amazing physical specimen.

So . . . who plays and how much?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

treesap32

Re: Point Guard Minutes

Post by treesap32 » November 3rd, 2010, 10:53 am

I'm thinking Brockeith 24 mins, James: 16mins ?

We are so deep this year it's crazy to say that Walker only gets 14-16 mins a game, but who's minutes would he take? Even if we played him at the 2 some (which we probably won't) he would have a hard time getting minutes there behind Newbold/Pooh and Green.

I'm very excited for this team. Deepest team we've had in my lifetime.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 3rd, 2010, 10:57 am

I think Pane will start and get the majority of the minutes, but Walker will play plenty of minutes too.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 3rd, 2010, 11:07 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:I think Pane will start and get the majority of the minutes, but Walker will play plenty of minutes too.
Hooray!! The "Dead Horse" avatar is back with a vengeance! :twisted:

Djorssen14
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Djorssen14 » November 3rd, 2010, 11:19 am

I think that Walker will get very limited minutes to start and struggle a bit early in the year. I would say by the start of WAC play he will be seeing around 14 minutes. Brockeith will get all of the rest of the minutes.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 3rd, 2010, 1:38 pm

It's going to be an interesting season given that the Aggies' depth is primarily at the wing, and Stew loves to run his offense through his post players. My guess is we'll see a lot of three-guard lineups this season, and hope that a combination of Pane/Williams/Walker/Newbold/Green can cover the opponents' 1-3 positions. It would be nice if the Aggies had the luxury of occasionally playing Jardine at the SF this season, but I just don't see it happening with lack of depth. Will Grim and Formisano be good enough to take Bendall's minutes? If not, we're going to have to hope that Wesley and Jardine can stay healthy and out of foul trouble. I would be a lot more comfortable right now with a healthy Bendall and a DiLoreto or another big . . . .

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » November 3rd, 2010, 1:48 pm

Djorssen14 wrote:I think that Walker will get very limited minutes to start and struggle a bit early in the year. I would say by the start of WAC play he will be seeing around 14 minutes. Brockeith will get all of the rest of the minutes.
Meat? Is that you?

Nobody here knows anything.

isrred
Pick'em Champ - '21 Kickoff

Post by isrred » November 3rd, 2010, 2:08 pm

From what I've heard Brokeith in his aggressiveness can be foul prone (hopefully this is a thing of the past), and so this may lead to Walker getting more minutes, and possibly at the end of some big games which will help him develop for the future. Either way, I'm very comfortable with our outlook at the PG position!

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » November 3rd, 2010, 3:01 pm

Pane should get 25+ minutes per game, so I think Walker won't get much more than 15 per game barring foul trouble, unless Stew gives him a few minutes on the wing.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » November 3rd, 2010, 3:26 pm

So is there any chance that Pane and Walker will be on the court at the same time? I know there's been fan speculation of Walker playing some wing, but I don't believe there's been any evidence from official sources.

My guess is probably 30/10 Pane/Walker at the start of the year with Walker gradually getting more minutes as the year goes along (and of course if Pane is in foul trouble).

abattoirag

Post by abattoirag » November 3rd, 2010, 4:14 pm

I would say the beginning of the year that Pane will get 25-28 minutes and Walker 12-15. Once conference play begins, Pane gets more. 28-32 minutes a game. With how well Walker looks, I hope he gets more somewhere. But how short is Stew's leash going to be during conference play?

"The causes of human actions are usually immeasurably more complex and varied than our subsequent explanations of them."
-Fyodor Dostoevsky

BigPermAg

Post by BigPermAg » November 3rd, 2010, 7:45 pm

I think we will see Pane and Walker on the floor a little this year, but next year it will happen quite a bit imo.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » November 3rd, 2010, 8:48 pm

I'm thinking Pane plays the point 25 minutes and the "2" 5 minutes per game. I'm guessing JW will work up to 20 minutes per game, all at the point. What a great way to drive the other fellow crazy than put two different types of athletes up against their defenders like that.

I agree with the posters that think it'll take JW a while to get ready to play consistently at this level, but once he does, he'll get that 15-20 minutes, with maybe 5 together with Pane.

This is really going to be fascinating to watch JW's development.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Djorssen14

Post by Djorssen14 » November 3rd, 2010, 11:11 pm

OKAggie wrote:
Djorssen14 wrote:I think that Walker will get very limited minutes to start and struggle a bit early in the year. I would say by the start of WAC play he will be seeing around 14 minutes. Brockeith will get all of the rest of the minutes.
Meat? Is that you?
Yes of course. I didn't even think anyone still remembered me.

CodingAggieBlue

Post by CodingAggieBlue » November 4th, 2010, 7:13 am

I'd say that the estimates of Pane getting the majority of the minutes and Walker getting 10-15 per game is accurate. At this point, though, the job is Pane's to lose. I think it really comes down to which one learns Stew's system the fastest.

Granted it was only a single exhibition game, but based on what I saw last Saturday, I'd say that Pane is on track to be as good if not better than Quayle. When Jared first arrived, I seem to remember he looked lost initially and it took a couple months before he really found his stride. At this point, it looks like Pane's biggest strengths are his ability to take the ball 1-on-1, his experience, and his lock-down man defense. His weaknesses are that his aggressive defensive play could get him into foul trouble, there were a couple times where the team was in zone and he looked lost, and he didn't pass as much as Stew probably would have liked.

Walker on the other hand is bursting with talent and is just waiting to take off. However, as a Freshman that talent is still fairly raw. Walker's strengths appear to be his ability to keep the defense guessing (he can slash or dish equally well), foot speed, and pure athleticism. His weaknesses are that he hasn't learned Stew's system and he wants to make a move before his teammates have set up (not good in Stew's system). There were a few times where he reminded me of Kris Clark's first year: get the ball, run as fast as you can to the other side by yourself, get surrounded by the defense, and then realize you're in trouble.

As far as minutes go, Pane gets the majority but Walker will steal more and more as the season progresses. I also suspect game situation will have a lot to do with it. If we need good offense but better defense, Pane gets the nod. If we need good defense but better offense, Walker might go in. If it's a tight game, Pane takes floor simply because he's more mature and less "hyper".

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 4th, 2010, 9:19 am

CodingAggieBlue wrote: I also suspect game situation will have a lot to do with it. If we need good offense but better defense, Pane gets the nod. If we need good defense but better offense, Walker might go in. If it's a tight game, Pane takes floor simply because he's more mature and less "hyper".
I would actually argue the exact opposite of that. I feel that Pane's defense is what he hangs his hat on whereas Walker (while good defensively) seems to have more of an offensive game than Pane, or at least the potential to have it. Walker does have the size which could factor into the situation while Pane probably has a slight edge in quickness. I expect Pane to be our 2nd best defender this year behind Pooh.

Then again, I have only seen them play once so far so time will tell if these generalizations are even close to being correct.

Lightbringer

Post by Lightbringer » November 4th, 2010, 9:45 am

treesap32 wrote:
CodingAggieBlue wrote: I also suspect game situation will have a lot to do with it. If we need good offense but better defense, Pane gets the nod. If we need good defense but better offense, Walker might go in. If it's a tight game, Pane takes floor simply because he's more mature and less "hyper".
I would actually argue the exact opposite of that. I feel that Pane's defense is what he hangs his hat on whereas Walker (while good defensively) seems to have more of an offensive game than Pane, or at least the potential to have it. Walker does have the size which could factor into the situation while Pane probably has a slight edge in quickness. I expect Pane to be our 2nd best defender this year behind Pooh.

Then again, I have only seen them play once so far so time will tell if these generalizations are even close to being correct.
I think that is what he's saying:

Pane - Great Defense, Good Offense
Walker - Great Offense, Good Defense

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 4th, 2010, 1:29 pm

CodingAggieBlue wrote:However, as a Freshman that talent is still fairly raw.
Don't forget that Carroll was the Big West Tournament MVP as a freshman. Might take Walker several games to find his stride, but let's hope he can become a major contributor as the season progresses -- hopefully sooner rather than later.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » November 4th, 2010, 2:19 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
CodingAggieBlue wrote:However, as a Freshman that talent is still fairly raw.
Don't forget that Carroll was the Big West Tournament MVP as a freshman. Might take Walker several games to find his stride, but let's hope he can become a major contributor as the season progresses -- hopefully sooner rather than later.
Playing on the wing is a whole different animal from running an offense and handling the ball at PG though.

AggieDude

Post by AggieDude » November 4th, 2010, 3:15 pm

Who was the other point guard on the court during the exhibition game? He seemed like the quickest player out there, although he appeared less skilled offensively.

TripleJ

Post by TripleJ » November 4th, 2010, 11:34 pm

I think that Walker Jr. has shown a lot of potential. My prediction is halfway through the season he will take over Brockeiths starting position. When it comes down to it, his athleticism and speed will give him the edge over Brockeith.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 5th, 2010, 12:24 am

AggieDude wrote:Who was the other point guard on the court during the exhibition game? He seemed like the quickest player out there, although he appeared less skilled offensively.
That was Leon Cooper, Jr. He seems to show some real promise.

gadog98

Post by gadog98 » November 5th, 2010, 6:10 am

It's nice to have some great depth at point and shooting guard. We would be really dangerous if we had someone a little bigger in the post this year.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » November 5th, 2010, 7:22 am

Djorssen14 wrote:
OKAggie wrote:
Meat? Is that you?
Yes of course. I didn't even think anyone still remembered me.
Who could forget the greatest Belgo-Aggie of all time? What are you doing these days?

Nobody here knows anything.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 5th, 2010, 1:16 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
AggieDude wrote:Who was the other point guard on the court during the exhibition game? He seemed like the quickest player out there, although he appeared less skilled offensively.
That was Leon Cooper, Jr. He seems to show some real promise.
Apparently Leon will be playing the "2" position this year. Originally he was supposed to be a PG.

Our PG Depth is currently Pane/Walker/Farris.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 5th, 2010, 1:17 pm

Lightbringer wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

I think that is what he's saying:

Pane - Great Defense, Good Offense
Walker - Great Offense, Good Defense
:golfclap: You are correct. Apparently I totally misread the post. I think we're all on the same page now.

Locked Previous topicNext topic