Sam in the G League

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
AggieMeister
Posts: 33
Joined: November 13th, 2010, 8:59 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 5 times

Sam in the G League

Post by AggieMeister » February 10th, 2021, 10:40 am

Sam has been assigned to the Memphis Hustle in the G League. I believe all the G League games are available to watch on ESPN+.
These users thanked the author AggieMeister for the post (total 2):
SweepDanceAggieArmy



User avatar
SweepDance
Posts: 445
Joined: February 7th, 2011, 12:18 pm
Location: Sandy, UT
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 130 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by SweepDance » February 10th, 2021, 11:01 am

Yes! It's bad basketball but still fun to watch at 9:30 in the morning when working from home! Most games are ESPN plus with a couple of ESPN2 games mixed in:

https://memphis.gleague.nba.com/schedule/



Aggie84025
Posts: 3612
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 1265 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by Aggie84025 » February 10th, 2021, 11:19 am

Thanks for posting this. Looking at the stats for today game, Sam did not play too well shooting the ball. He is currently 2/11 and 0/5 from 3. Has some rebounds and assists. Needs to get his shooting % up.



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5927
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 566 times
Been thanked: 1156 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 10th, 2021, 11:19 am

Sam is 0-6 from the 3 so far in his first G league game.

https://stats.gleague.nba.com/game/2022000002/



Yossarian
Posts: 4982
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 925 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by Yossarian » February 10th, 2021, 11:35 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 11:19 am
Sam is 0-6 from the 3 so far in his first G league game.

https://stats.gleague.nba.com/game/2022000002/
ouch. They use that Nike ball with the chip in it?



Yossarian
Posts: 4982
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 925 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by Yossarian » February 10th, 2021, 12:10 pm

Looking at the box score

https://gleague.nba.com/games/20210210/AUSMHU/

Sam had a pretty horrible day. He started at small forward and played 31 minutes and scored 5 points. 2-13 shooting (0-6 from three). Three rebounds, 3 assists, a steal and a turnover. Not a good shooting day for Merrill. It was as if he played against BYU today.



AggieFanNate
Posts: 79
Joined: December 15th, 2020, 6:17 am
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by AggieFanNate » February 10th, 2021, 12:20 pm

He is going to be pounding the court all night tonight. You could tell he was getting pretty frustrated and didn't feel too comfortable.



User avatar
sstrasser
Posts: 153
Joined: January 16th, 2018, 1:09 pm
Location: West Jordan, UT
Has thanked: 787 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by sstrasser » February 10th, 2021, 12:22 pm

good thing I didn't get tickets to the Jazz game on Friday night to see him with the Bucks.
These users thanked the author sstrasser for the post (total 2):
ProvoAggieAggieArmy



tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG
Posts: 541
Joined: December 17th, 2013, 8:17 am
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by tipitup » February 10th, 2021, 12:28 pm

how does he get that many minutes being that this team isn't affiliated with the Bucks? I was thinking he would hardly see the floor, but i'm wrong, getting 31 min and starting that's cool.



AggieFanNate
Posts: 79
Joined: December 15th, 2020, 6:17 am
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by AggieFanNate » February 10th, 2021, 12:37 pm

sstrasser wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 12:22 pm
good thing I didn't get tickets to the Jazz game on Friday night to see him with the Bucks.
Still, it's gonna be a good game either way haha.



User avatar
usu99
Posts: 700
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:40 am
Location: Davis County
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by usu99 » February 10th, 2021, 1:10 pm

he won't get those minutes anymore if he keeps shooting like that.


For all of your IT needs visit http://www.sidelogic.com

Cuchelain
Posts: 306
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 8:32 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by Cuchelain » February 10th, 2021, 1:25 pm

It’s obviously a bad game but it’s just one game. I am confident that he will do well over time.

One thing I do worry about is the selfish nature of players in the G league. It can be hard to play effectively with a bunch of guys who don’t care about anything but flinging up any shot they can get in an effort to stand out.



User avatar
sstrasser
Posts: 153
Joined: January 16th, 2018, 1:09 pm
Location: West Jordan, UT
Has thanked: 787 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by sstrasser » February 10th, 2021, 1:31 pm

AggieFanNate wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 12:37 pm
sstrasser wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 12:22 pm
good thing I didn't get tickets to the Jazz game on Friday night to see him with the Bucks.
Still, it's gonna be a good game either way haha.
True, but we had an Aggie Basketball we wanted him to sign.



AgsRock
Posts: 99
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 9:47 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by AgsRock » February 10th, 2021, 2:27 pm

I agree the selfish nature of the G league and the Bucks garbage time minutes is not in Sam's wheelhouse, but he needs to adopt the "if you cant beat em, join em" mantra or he won't last in the NBA. You got to do well with the limited time you have early in your career.



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 6066
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 349 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 10th, 2021, 9:16 pm

sstrasser wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 1:31 pm
AggieFanNate wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 12:37 pm
sstrasser wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 12:22 pm
good thing I didn't get tickets to the Jazz game on Friday night to see him with the Bucks.
Still, it's gonna be a good game either way haha.
True, but we had an Aggie Basketball we wanted him to sign.
This year, they probably don't let you get close enough to the court for it anyways.



Winning Team
Posts: 201
Joined: February 5th, 2019, 12:59 pm
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 170 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by Winning Team » February 11th, 2021, 11:44 am

I would love to watch today’s game. Is there any way to stream it if you don’t have espn plus?



User avatar
tysteve20
Posts: 327
Joined: August 28th, 2014, 3:21 pm
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 165 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by tysteve20 » February 11th, 2021, 12:01 pm

Winning Team wrote:I would love to watch today’s game. Is there any way to stream it if you don’t have espn plus?
I’m pretty sure grindcitymedia.com will stream them all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Winning Team
Posts: 201
Joined: February 5th, 2019, 12:59 pm
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 170 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by Winning Team » February 11th, 2021, 12:28 pm

tysteve20 wrote:
February 11th, 2021, 12:01 pm
Winning Team wrote:I would love to watch today’s game. Is there any way to stream it if you don’t have espn plus?
I’m pretty sure grindcitymedia.com will stream them all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Unfortunately it says that the program is blocked in my area... (Utah)



Winning Team
Posts: 201
Joined: February 5th, 2019, 12:59 pm
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 170 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by Winning Team » February 11th, 2021, 1:28 pm

Winning Team wrote:
February 11th, 2021, 12:28 pm
tysteve20 wrote:
February 11th, 2021, 12:01 pm
Winning Team wrote:I would love to watch today’s game. Is there any way to stream it if you don’t have espn plus?
I’m pretty sure grindcitymedia.com will stream them all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Unfortunately it says that the program is blocked in my area... (Utah)
Scratch that. It works now that the game is going.



Yossarian
Posts: 4982
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 925 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by Yossarian » February 11th, 2021, 1:40 pm

Winning Team wrote:
February 11th, 2021, 1:28 pm
Winning Team wrote:
February 11th, 2021, 12:28 pm
tysteve20 wrote:
February 11th, 2021, 12:01 pm
Winning Team wrote:I would love to watch today’s game. Is there any way to stream it if you don’t have espn plus?
I’m pretty sure grindcitymedia.com will stream them all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Unfortunately it says that the program is blocked in my area... (Utah)
Scratch that. It works now that the game is going.
So did Merrill start this game?



User avatar
SweepDance
Posts: 445
Joined: February 7th, 2011, 12:18 pm
Location: Sandy, UT
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 130 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by SweepDance » February 11th, 2021, 1:43 pm

Yes, looking much better in the early going. He had 5 of the team's first 10 points with an assist and a steal.



User avatar
AggieMeister
Posts: 33
Joined: November 13th, 2010, 8:59 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by AggieMeister » February 11th, 2021, 1:49 pm

There is a LOT of selfish play in the G League. Not a lot of team ball to be seen. Also, I don't like the free throw rules in the G League. All shooting fouls are only 1 free throw and, if you make it, you get either 2 or 3 points depending on where the shooting foul happened.



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1758
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 401 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » February 11th, 2021, 2:04 pm

AggieMeister wrote:There is a LOT of selfish play in the G League. Not a lot of team ball to be seen. Also, I don't like the free throw rules in the G League. All shooting fouls are only 1 free throw and, if you make it, you get either 2 or 3 points depending on where the shooting foul happened.
Serious!!? Wow, didn’t realize that. I suppose they want to speed up the games.



User avatar
usu99
Posts: 700
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:40 am
Location: Davis County
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by usu99 » February 11th, 2021, 2:12 pm

Sam is the only White guy on either team LOL


For all of your IT needs visit http://www.sidelogic.com

User avatar
SweepDance
Posts: 445
Joined: February 7th, 2011, 12:18 pm
Location: Sandy, UT
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 130 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by SweepDance » February 11th, 2021, 2:19 pm

Unless David Stockton was adopted there's a lot of evidence to suggest he came from white heritage:

Image
These users thanked the author SweepDance for the post (total 2):
Real Life Aggieaggieguy13



Yossarian
Posts: 4982
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 925 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by Yossarian » February 11th, 2021, 2:28 pm

So in 6 quarters of G League ball, Merrill has the following:

49 minutes played
12 points
5/18 from the field
1/9 from three
4 rebounds
7 assists
2 steals
3 turnovers

At least the assist:turnover ratio looks good.



User avatar
usu99
Posts: 700
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:40 am
Location: Davis County
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by usu99 » February 11th, 2021, 2:44 pm

Yeah he isn't exactly lighting it up :( Had a great first quarter, but nothing good since.


For all of your IT needs visit http://www.sidelogic.com

AgsRock
Posts: 99
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 9:47 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by AgsRock » February 11th, 2021, 2:49 pm

Beautiful, pull-up three from Sam. Straight butta



User avatar
SweepDance
Posts: 445
Joined: February 7th, 2011, 12:18 pm
Location: Sandy, UT
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 130 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by SweepDance » February 11th, 2021, 2:53 pm

AgsRock wrote:
February 11th, 2021, 2:49 pm
Beautiful, pull-up three from Sam. Straight butta
Off of a steal too. The rare G-League defensive play!



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5261
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 545 times
Been thanked: 1082 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 11th, 2021, 2:53 pm

He has 10 points on 4 of 8 and 2 of 4 from 3 with 5 assists and 2 steals in 22 minutes and is +13. He seems to be doing just fine.



jpswensen
Posts: 1615
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:59 pm
Location: Pullman, WA
Has thanked: 153 times
Been thanked: 253 times
Contact:

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by jpswensen » February 11th, 2021, 2:54 pm

Yossarian wrote:So in 6 quarters of G League ball, Merrill has the following:

49 minutes played
12 points
5/18 from the field
1/9 from three
4 rebounds
7 assists
2 steals
3 turnovers

At least the assist:turnover ratio looks good.
Throw away the first game and this game looks great.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii


Work expands to fill the time allotted.

AggieFanNate
Posts: 79
Joined: December 15th, 2020, 6:17 am
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by AggieFanNate » February 11th, 2021, 2:54 pm

I have been impressed by his defense quite a bit actually.
These users thanked the author AggieFanNate for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii



User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 5743
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has thanked: 354 times
Been thanked: 806 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by Aglicious » February 11th, 2021, 3:11 pm

Sam lighting it up now.

This G League is some really bad basketball. How do you evaluate who is any good? It is just chucking up 3's all game long....no D. Looks like an NBA All-Star game.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5261
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 545 times
Been thanked: 1082 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 11th, 2021, 3:13 pm

Merrill is having a good game and Freddie Gillespie has impressed me too.



Yossarian
Posts: 4982
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 925 times

Re: Sam in the G League

Post by Yossarian » February 11th, 2021, 3:23 pm

Aglicious wrote:
February 11th, 2021, 3:11 pm
Sam lighting it up now.

This G League is some really bad basketball. How do you evaluate who is any good? It is just chucking up 3's all game long....no D. Looks like an NBA All-Star game.
I am not watching the game - just following the live box score. To be fair, the Memphis team had 14 assists on 18 made field goals in the first half. That has gone way down in the second half. I think the players know they are going to have to score and be as aggressive as they can one-on-one to stand out. Making an extra pass doesn't draw a lot of attention to one's self.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic