One huge difference between Smith and Stew

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
UStateTim
Has thanked: 0

One huge difference between Smith and Stew

Post by UStateTim » January 25th, 2021, 7:53 pm

Shooting. Plain and simple. We just don't have good consistent shooting like the Stew teams did.

stewusu98

Re: One huge difference between Smith and Stew

Post by stewusu98 » January 25th, 2021, 8:43 pm

Stew coached up big guys! He also had plays to get Queta the ball in the paint way more often!

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » January 25th, 2021, 9:08 pm

Terrible shooters and zero sets, this offense when not getting to the charity stripe is trash

stewusu98

Post by stewusu98 » January 25th, 2021, 9:23 pm

stewusu98 wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 8:43 pm
Stew coached up big guys! He also had plays to get Queta the ball in the paint way more often!
Just to make it clear I am glad we have smith! I hope we can keep him! We just need to learn how to get our best player the ball closer to the hoop. When we go inside out our offense seems to flow better!

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » January 25th, 2021, 9:26 pm

Stew ran an offense designed to get good shots, and he demanded good shots of his players. He ran the best offense of any Aggie coach in my lifetime. That's my biggest dislike of Coach Smith's approach. Bean has two games this season in which he's actually made three-pointers. He should not be shooting. Stew would not tolerate it. Smith seems to encourage it. Bean taking threes in the early portion of the game are guaranteed empty possessions that bite us in the end. And I fully agree with stewusu98. Smith is overall fantastic and I'm glad we have him (as I was with Stew).

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 25th, 2021, 9:27 pm

Stew was absolute butt the last few years here, and I still haven’t forgiven him.

Smith needs to use timeouts better, but I am glad he is our coach.

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » January 25th, 2021, 9:30 pm

My only gripe is how picky this coaching staff is with the kids they recruit. We are once again lacking a dynamic wing that can consistently knock down shots and beat guys off the dribble.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » January 25th, 2021, 9:31 pm

Oh how quickly you all forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post (total 6):
GA_AggieRoy McAvoybluegrouseFullReal Life AggieJSHarvey

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

coolag

Post by coolag » January 25th, 2021, 9:38 pm

Liam will save us.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 25th, 2021, 9:39 pm

coolag wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 9:38 pm
Liam will save us.
I have a feeling a strong gust will be carrying Liam back to Canada this offseason.

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » January 25th, 2021, 9:45 pm

I didn’t start this to bash Smith. He’s fantastic. It just seems that outside of Sam Merrill we haven’t had good shooters. Miller seems to get better but he can’t create his own shot

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 25th, 2021, 10:29 pm

cdaAg wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 9:26 pm
Stew ran an offense designed to get good shots, and he demanded good shots of his players. He ran the best offense of any Aggie coach in my lifetime. That's my biggest dislike of Coach Smith's approach. Bean has two games this season in which he's actually made three-pointers. He should not be shooting. Stew would not tolerate it. Smith seems to encourage it. Bean taking threes in the early portion of the game are guaranteed empty possessions that bite us in the end. And I fully agree with stewusu98. Smith is overall fantastic and I'm glad we have him (as I was with Stew).
You must be very young to say “best offense of any Aggie coach in my lifetime.”

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 25th, 2021, 10:39 pm

One other difference between Smith and Stew is response to scheduling questions!

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 25th, 2021, 10:47 pm

The problem is Bean is too good at all the garbage work to keep on the bench but having him playing beside Queta means a crowded paint since neither can draw their man out beyond 15 ft. Then you got Anthony is crucial to our D but a liability on O, and 2 point guards that are turnover prone and struggling with their shots.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » January 25th, 2021, 11:22 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 10:47 pm
The problem is Bean is too good at all the garbage work to keep on the bench but having him playing beside Queta means a crowded paint since neither can draw their man out beyond 15 ft. Then you got Anthony is crucial to our D but a liability on O, and 2 point guards that are turnover prone and struggling with their shots.
Marco is our second leading scorer and he had 18 points tonight. Queta was next with 10.

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » January 25th, 2021, 11:35 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 11:22 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Marco is our second leading scorer and he had 18 points tonight. Queta was next with 10.
Marco was also a black hole tonight and shot a low percentage, I love his game but he seems to really be forcing his offense right now

usugoalie13

Post by usugoalie13 » January 25th, 2021, 11:57 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 9:39 pm
coolag wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 9:38 pm
Liam will save us.
I have a feeling a strong gust will be carrying Liam back to Canada this offseason.
I don't know how B.C has been, but here in northern alberta, we have had really strong winds, but from the west. I don't know if he would get carried back her as much as he would get carried to the kid west.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 26th, 2021, 1:02 am

bluegrouse wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
But if those points come on 5/15 shooting he’s using up too many possessions on inefficient shooting.
I also don’t see the same ball movement and extra passes. Just More dribbling and forced offense as a team.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 26th, 2021, 1:53 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 1:02 am
bluegrouse wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
But if those points come on 5/15 shooting he’s using up too many possessions on inefficient shooting.
I also don’t see the same ball movement and extra passes. Just More dribbling and forced offense as a team.
This was my exact statement in chat tonight. This game reminded me of the first 3 games in SD. No ball movement on offense, no off ball movement by players. Just a bunch of standing while Neemi or Marco dribble a lot. Marco leading us in scoring has not usually led to good things for our team. I pointed out the same thing earlier this year when he scored like 19 points and everyone was claiming he was our lone bright spot in the game when in fact it took him 19 shots to get those 19 points....not exactly efficient.

He was not the only one tonight either, too much 1 v 1 and hero ball going on. We were basically playing like we were UNLV - only we couldn't shoot to save our life. ..again.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 26th, 2021, 2:56 am

Aglicious wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 1:53 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
This was my exact statement in chat tonight. This game reminded me of the first 3 games in SD. No ball movement on offense, no off ball movement by players. Just a bunch of standing while Neemi or Marco dribble a lot. Marco leading us in scoring has not usually led to good things for our team. I pointed out the same thing earlier this year when he scored like 19 points and everyone was claiming he was our lone bright spot in the game when in fact it took him 19 shots to get those 19 points....not exactly efficient.

He was not the only one tonight either, too much 1 v 1 and hero ball going on. We were basically playing like we were UNLV - only we couldn't shoot to save our life. ..again.
Yes, I’ve felt lately Worster, Bean, and Ashworth have also been driving in with blinders on like Anthony.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » January 26th, 2021, 4:35 am

Okay, you can complain about 18 from Anthony (6-6 FT btw of 12 total FTA by the team - he also had 9 rebounds) but scoring has to come from somewhere. Anderson was 0-6, zero points; Ashworth was 0-3, zero points (5 turnovers); Queta was 3-9, 8 points; Miller only took three shots when he was the only one who could actually make anything. We were 5-22 from 3 and Anthony had two those. While 2-6 isn’t anything to write home about, it’s a lot better than the 22% we shot from 3 as a team. And it’s not like we didn’t have open shots. We had bunches of them: 3’s, short-range jumpers, at the rim, break away layups.

I completely agree that passing was poor, energy/intensity was poor, movement was poor, etc. but you can’t put all that on Marco. Marco was far from our worst problem tonight.

The craziest thing of the whole night is that I don’t see how we could have possibly played worse (It was the worst 40-minute top-to-bottom performance I can remember in quite some time) and yet we only lost by three. I realize it ended closer than it really was but given the dismal performances you would think you would get beat by 20 or more. Just a bizarre, inexplicable game.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
Yossarian

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » January 26th, 2021, 6:09 am

stewusu98 wrote:Stew coached up big guys! He also had plays to get Queta the ball in the paint way more often!
Queta never played for Stew.

These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

Hail Aggies!

stewusu98

Post by stewusu98 » January 26th, 2021, 6:14 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 6:09 am
stewusu98 wrote:Stew coached up big guys! He also had plays to get “Our big” the ball in the paint way more often!
Queta never played for Stew.

Fixed it for you!

usu99

Post by usu99 » January 26th, 2021, 8:16 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Marco was like 4-6 in the first half so 1-9 in the 2nd. Just horribly forced shots.

For all of your IT needs visit http://www.sidelogic.com

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 26th, 2021, 9:49 am

In only caught the last 13 minutes or so. I feel like we have been outhustled the last few games. I don't know if it is tired legs, but something needs to change.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 26th, 2021, 9:56 am

NVAggie wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 9:49 am
In only caught the last 13 minutes or so. I feel like we have been outhustled the last few games. I don't know if it is tired legs, but something needs to change.
This part of the schedule really hasn't been that kind to us. We have 6 games in 14 days against very good teams. After tomorrow we have 8 days off.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
bluegrouse

Aggiefever

Post by Aggiefever » January 26th, 2021, 9:58 am

I would have liked to have seen a change in pace earlier in the game. UNLV has a lot of young players and it showed when we increased our intensity and put on the full court press. We didn't need to press a long time but just for a couple of minutes earlier in the half to get us out of our funk.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 26th, 2021, 11:26 am

bluegrouse wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 4:35 am
Okay, you can complain about 18 from Anthony (6-6 FT btw of 12 total FTA by the team - he also had 9 rebounds) but scoring has to come from somewhere. Anderson was 0-6, zero points; Ashworth was 0-3, zero points (5 turnovers); Queta was 3-9, 8 points; Miller only took three shots when he was the only one who could actually make anything. We were 5-22 from 3 and Anthony had two those. While 2-6 isn’t anything to write home about, it’s a lot better than the 22% we shot from 3 as a team. And it’s not like we didn’t have open shots. We had bunches of them: 3’s, short-range jumpers, at the rim, break away layups.

I completely agree that passing was poor, energy/intensity was poor, movement was poor, etc. but you can’t put all that on Marco. Marco was far from our worst problem tonight.

The craziest thing of the whole night is that I don’t see how we could have possibly played worse (It was the worst 40-minute top-to-bottom performance I can remember in quite some time) and yet we only lost by three. I realize it ended closer than it really was but given the dismal performances you would think you would get beat by 20 or more. Just a bizarre, inexplicable game.
Good points all around. I agree that scoring does have to come from somewhere and perhaps Marco was just watching his teammates struggle and decided to take on more of a scorer's mentality in that game. I just know when I see a box score with Marco leading in shot attempts it meant something went wrong with the Aggie offense. It's more like an indicator that things didn't go according to plan.

I'm not sure what is going on with the offense. Smith looked as disgusted and befuddled as we did. It's almost like everyone is resting at the offensive end so they can have energy to play defense on the other end of the court when the time comes.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
bluegrouse

cval

Post by cval » January 26th, 2021, 11:37 am

I kept wondering if we had a play to bring Miller around a screen to get him an open 3. Him only taking 3 shots seemed really bad.
These users thanked the author cval for the post:
bluegrouse

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » January 26th, 2021, 11:43 am

Other differences between Craig & Stew:

- Craig was 27-9 in his first two years in the MWC and Stew was 18-18
- Craig won two MWC Tournament Championships and one MWC Regular Season Title in his first two years in the MWC
- USU went to the NCAA Tourney or was eligible twice in Craig's first two years

I love both Coaches!
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
cdaAg

"The media is not your friend.” CNN anchor Chris Cuomo

"We choose truth over facts." Joe Biden

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » January 26th, 2021, 12:06 pm

I think we are being a bit dramatic here. Stew ran set mostly set plays. Smith's offense is not worse when the ball is moving around crisply and going inside and out. The team got away from that last night. Just very sloppy ball security and a horrendous shooting night It started with Queta who got frustrated and it snowballed. Lets see how the team responds. Remember the terrible stretch last year when we thought the team was done.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
bluegrouse

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 26th, 2021, 12:16 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 11:43 am

- Craig won two MWC Tournament Championships and one MWC Regular Season Title in his first two years in the MWC

I love both Coaches!
Yeah... not to disparage Stew, because he's an amazing coach, but Coach Smith has been crushing it in the MW. Talk about $hitposting by OP.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
Aggie in Boise

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » January 26th, 2021, 12:27 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 12:16 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 11:43 am

I love both Coaches!
Yeah... not to disparage Stew, because he's an amazing coach, but Coach Smith has been crushing it in the MW. Talk about $hitposting by OP.
Definitely don't want to disparage Stew! Stew was a damn good coach! I just get tired of people complaining about Coach Smith and wanted to add some context. :wtf: is there to complain about? :bangwall: Coach Smith's son played on a regional Bball team with one of my sons, over the summer, and he's not only a great coach but also an amazing person. We're lucky to have him at USU!
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post (total 2):
bluegrouseReal Life Aggie

"The media is not your friend.” CNN anchor Chris Cuomo

"We choose truth over facts." Joe Biden

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 26th, 2021, 12:30 pm

hickaggie wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 12:06 pm
I think we are being a bit dramatic here. Stew ran set mostly set plays. Smith's offense is not worse when the ball is moving around crisply and going inside and out. The team got away from that last night. Just very sloppy ball security and a horrendous shooting night It started with Queta who got frustrated and it snowballed. Lets see how the team responds. Remember the terrible stretch last year when we thought the team was done.
Good post. The 3 game stretch of getting land blasted at UNLV, losing at home to SDSU and then getting violated at AF was really bad. The team turned it around and played well. CSU is a really good team. UNLV has a lot of good players and present matchup issues as they can pretty much neutralize Queta. I still have faith the team can right the ship. One thing the last 2 years showed is come March, USU was a really tough out. Not sure how it will play out this year, but I can confidence they can get it turned around.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » January 26th, 2021, 1:35 pm

cval wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 11:37 am
I kept wondering if we had a play to bring Miller around a screen to get him an open 3. Him only taking 3 shots seemed really bad.
Thought the same thing all night

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic