Roster going forward — who is sticking around?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 20th, 2021, 1:33 am

If guys stick around, this frozen eligibility thing could be huge for us.

All of our contributors except for Fonz are nominally freshmen and juniors. The juniors are effectively sophomores because of the frozen eligibility year. The freshmen are effectively still in high school eligibility wise and are just getting a freebie year of experience.

We know Zahar is gone, Queta will likely be gone to the NBA after this season, and I’d assume Kuba will not be coming back. It wouldn’t surprise me if McChesney moves on either.

With this in mind:

(1) Is Fonz going to get a grad degree and come back for a second senior season? I’d love to have him back.
(2) Are we really going to get two more years of Bean, Miller, and Marco after this season?
(3) Are we going to get 4 more years of Ashworth and Worster?

It’s a bit crazy, but if we can hold onto Fonz and bring in a decent impact grad transfer or other player at C, we could be very good next year too, with a strong foundation for many years to come. It could be that we are only replacing Queta, which is a huge loss, but not such a huge loss that we won’t still be extremely good next year too returning 4 of 5 starters and our entire bench rotation.

Anyone have any idea what Fonz’s plans are, and whether Bean, Miller, and Marco might also be considering sticking around another two years?

If Smith leaves after this season, we need to hire Eric Peterson immediately before he leaves with Smith. This is a team culture we simply have to maintain.

Aggie in Boise

Re: Roster going forward — who is sticking around?

Post by Aggie in Boise » January 20th, 2021, 6:17 am

Are we going to get two more years of Neemy after this year? :joking:

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » January 20th, 2021, 6:26 am

The answer is most won't stay longer than their 4 years. People have plans and lives and won't stick longer than they need to. I hope mchesney stays and plays. He has potential.
These users thanked the author Blitz79 for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 20th, 2021, 7:15 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 1:33 am

All of our contributors except for Fonz are nominally freshmen and juniors. The juniors are effectively sophomores because of the frozen eligibility year. The freshmen are effectively still in high school eligibility wise and are just getting a freebie year of experience.

We know Zahar is gone, Queta will likely be gone to the NBA after this season, and I’d assume Kuba will not be coming back. It wouldn’t surprise me if McChesney moves on either.

With this in mind:

(1) Is Fonz going to get a grad degree and come back for a second senior season? I’d love to have him back.
(2) Are we really going to get two more years of Bean, Miller, and Marco after this season?

It’s a bit crazy, but if we can hold onto Fonz and bring in a decent impact grad transfer or other player at C, we could be very good next year too, with a strong foundation for many years to come. It could be that we are only replacing Queta, which is a huge loss, but not such a huge loss that we won’t still be extremely good next year too returning 4 of 5 starters and our entire bench rotation.

Anyone have any idea what Fonz’s plans are, and whether Bean, Miller, and Marco might also be considering sticking around another two years?

If Smith leaves after this season, we need to hire Eric Peterson immediately before he leaves with Smith. This is a team culture we simply have to maintain.
I 100% believe that IF Coach Smith moves on Eric Peterson should be hired to take his place.

1. I think Fonzo may hang around for one more year.
2. I absolutely think we are going to get 2 more years out of Anthony, Bean and Miller.
3. We will also get 4 more years out of Ashworth and Worster.

When Queta ends up in the NBA, that will give this coaching staff 2 players in 2 years and that should really appeal to kids out on the recruiting trail.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
slcaggReal Life Aggiemcaggie1

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 20th, 2021, 7:20 am

Blitz79 wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 6:26 am
The answer is most won't stay longer than their 4 years. People have plans and lives and won't stick longer than they need to. I hope mchesney stays and plays. He has potential.
Amen. But if guys that aren’t NBA players can get a grad degree paid for and an extra year of eligibility, that’s a win-win.

cval

Post by cval » January 20th, 2021, 8:23 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 7:20 am
Blitz79 wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 6:26 am
Amen. But if guys that aren’t NBA players can get a grad degree paid for and an extra year of eligibility, that’s a win-win.
This is correct. In the old days, few people had a Bachelors Degree, and having it was a ticket to prosperity. Today, a lot of people have Bachelors, but a Master's is still a ticket to prosperity. Getting that paid for is a really smart alternative that a bunch of guys will see as valuable.

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » January 20th, 2021, 10:38 am

ineptimusprime wrote:

With this in mind:

Even though I'm a little nervous because of how jaded I was with Tim Duryea taking over the reins after being an assistant to Stew Morrill all those years which we all thought would work out nice but didn't, I do think it would be the right move to hire Eric Peterson if (and that's a big if) Craig Smith goes to greener pastures. I honestly don't know Craig Smith's ambitions. I do recall him saying when he first got the job that he loves being in small schools and small town type places. I don't know if he means that or not. Maybe he was excited for the job and that's what came out of his mouth. I hope he stays but I think it's going to take an effort from Hartwell to renegotiate his contract to about a million a year if possible. Even then that might not be enough, but at least it'll show Craig that we really want him to stay long-term. Anyways I love the guy. I think he's been a great coach for our program. That being said, if he does end up wanting to go somewhere else, I do think Eric Peterson would be an adequate replacement since he's been with Craig Smith for so long to keep the team culture moving forward.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 20th, 2021, 10:42 am

Aggiealum13 wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 10:38 am
Even though I'm a little nervous because of how jaded I was with Tim Duryea taking over the reins after being an assistant to Stew Morrill all those years which we all thought would work out nice but didn't, I do think it would be the right move to hire Eric Peterson if (and that's a big if) Craig Smith goes to greener pastures. I honestly don't know Craig Smith's ambitions. I do recall him saying when he first got the job that he loves being in small schools and small town type places. I don't know if he means that or not. Maybe he was excited for the job and that's what came out of his mouth. I hope he stays but I think it's going to take an effort from Hartwell to renegotiate his contract to about a million a year if possible. Even then that might not be enough, but at least it'll show Craig that we really want him to stay long-term. Anyways I love the guy. I think he's been a great coach for our program. That being said, if he does end up wanting to go somewhere else, I do think Eric Peterson would be an adequate replacement since he's been with Craig Smith for so long to keep the team culture moving forward.
There are power conference schools that are in small towns. It's not just mid-majors and below, lol.

usubobcat

Post by usubobcat » January 20th, 2021, 10:47 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 10:42 am
Aggiealum13 wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 10:38 am
There are power conference schools that are in small towns. It's not just mid-majors and below, lol.
Let's just keep this between ourselves, shall we? No need to tell Coach Smith about this.
These users thanked the author usubobcat for the post (total 2):
AggiePTReal Life Aggie

Classic Blunders:
1) Getting involved in a land war in Asia
2) Going in against a Sicilian when death is on the line

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 20th, 2021, 11:29 am

I think it’d take a pretty special job and fit to get him to leave. I’ve always worried about an upper Midwest P5 program snatching him up though. Someone like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa State, Iowa, or Nebraska. Although Nebraska is awful, I think Hoiberg will be given more time to build. Petino is doing just well enough to survive a while longer at MN. Wisconsin and Iowa aren’t making a change for a while. Iowa State is who I’m worried about. Prohm started out well his first couple seasons but hasn’t finished above .500 in conference for 4 seasons. I don’t think they will fire Prohm this off-season but one more bad year and I could see that job opening up. I’d hate to see Coach Smith leave but Ames seems like a town and location Smith would fit. He would definitely have to change up his recruiting a bit to compete in the Big12 though.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 20th, 2021, 11:31 am

Smith may very well leave, I have no idea. But I do think mid-majors are much more likely to keep basketball coaches than football coaches for a couple of reasons:

1. The competition gap is not as big, you can legitimately have a tope 20 program and not be from a Power conference.
2. Every team has access to win a national champion ship.
3. The coach pay gap is no where near the same as football.
4. The basketball experience can be just as good at a mid major. Fans, the stadium, excitement, community involvement at utah state at USU is better than most pac12 schools, or at least on par.

I think that there are probably only a 20 programs that are head and shoulders better jobs than Utah State. USU is probably on par with most power conference schools, with exception of pay. But again the pay gap is not as big either.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 20th, 2021, 11:40 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 11:31 am
Smith may very well leave, I have no idea. But I do think mid-majors are much more likely to keep basketball coaches than football coaches for a couple of reasons:

1. The competition gap is not as big, you can legitimately have a tope 20 program and not be from a Power conference.
4. The basketball experience can be just as good at a mid major. Fans, the stadium, excitement, community involvement at utah state at USU is better than most pac12 schools, or at least on par.

I think that there are probably only a 20 programs that are head and shoulders better jobs than Utah State. USU is probably on par with most power conference schools, with exception of pay. But again the pay gap is not as big either.
I want to believe this!!!

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 20th, 2021, 11:45 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:

To clarify, there are a lot of schools that are probably marginally better jobs than Utah State. But if I am Smith and have a really good thing going, I would not leave for a marginally better job. I am sure he will get offers, who knows how long he stays.

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » January 20th, 2021, 12:03 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:

While the pay gap isn't as big, the mids that have kept their coaches long term stepped up and paid their head coach at close to P5 levels (like Few at Gonzaga, or Marshall at Wichita (before his dismissal)). While I think keeping Smith at USU is possible, USU is going to have to give him a substantial pay raise to keep him if P5s come calling. Can they and will they? Only time will tell.
These users thanked the author Aggie702 for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggieReal Life Aggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 20th, 2021, 12:19 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 12:03 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:

While the pay gap isn't as big, the mids that have kept their coaches long term stepped up and paid their head coach at close to P5 levels (like Few at Gonzaga, or Marshall at Wichita (before his dismissal)). While I think keeping Smith at USU is possible, USU is going to have to give him a substantial pay raise to keep him if P5s come calling. Can they and will they? Only time will tell.
Has Smith signed any extension? I thought one was given to him 2 years ago, but he did not sign it. Can anyone confirm if this was the case or not? He for sure deserves an extension/raise and is worth every penny of it based on the product/results on the court.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 20th, 2021, 12:24 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 7:15 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

With this in mind:

I 100% believe that IF Coach Smith moves on Eric Peterson should be hired to take his place.

1. I think Fonzo may hang around for one more year.
2. I absolutely think we are going to get 2 more years out of Anthony, Bean and Miller.
3. We will also get 4 more years out of Ashworth and Worster.

When Queta ends up in the NBA, that will give this coaching staff 2 players in 2 years and that should really appeal to kids out on the recruiting trail.
One would think the two NBA player thing coupled with the core we have coming back would give us the veritable pick of the litter when it comes to guys that play the 5. A plug and play P5 grad transfer at the Center spot would have us competing for the championship again next year.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
aggies22

Locked Previous topicNext topic