Anthony

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Coloraggie

Anthony

Post by Coloraggie » January 17th, 2021, 9:00 pm

I was pretty hard on Anthony the first few games of the season... and he may have deserved it. I wanted to post something great I noticed about Anthony this week though. His scoring was down and he couldn't drive past SDSU defense to get into the lane for scoring chances like he could against other teams. The thing that impressed me is that he kept playing hard and didn't get down on himself. He played good defense. He didn't force shots. And in both games he was able to make a big scores late in the game that helped the Aggies to win. Just impressed by his maturity in those games.

Related but not specific to Anthony is I love how the whole team contributes. We would drop off significantly without Queta but otherwise there is someone there to fill in if someone isn't having a great game. Most notably Ashworth, Anderson and Miller were huge against the Aztecs. Worster, Bean, and Anthony didn't have their best games but they didn't need them. Dorius continued to be a serviceable backup and Bairstow is giving us solid minutes from the bench.
These users thanked the author Coloraggie for the post (total 3):
flying_scotsman2.0AggieFBObsessionaggies22

utaggies

Re: Anthony

Post by utaggies » January 17th, 2021, 10:13 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 9:00 pm
I was pretty hard on Anthony the first few games of the season... and he may have deserved it. I wanted to post something great I noticed about Anthony this week though. His scoring was down and he couldn't drive past SDSU defense to get into the lane for scoring chances like he could against other teams. The thing that impressed me is that he kept playing hard and didn't get down on himself. He played good defense. He didn't force shots. And in both games he was able to make a big scores late in the game that helped the Aggies to win. Just impressed by his maturity in those games.

Related but not specific to Anthony is I love how the whole team contributes. We would drop off significantly without Queta but otherwise there is someone there to fill in if someone isn't having a great game. Most notably Ashworth, Anderson and Miller were huge against the Aztecs. Worster, Bean, and Anthony didn't have their best games but they didn't need them. Dorius continued to be a serviceable backup and Bairstow is giving us solid minutes from the bench.
Anthony and Bean had off-nights offensively. Bean was 3 for 16 and Anthony was 3 for 10 in the two games. But both hustled their butts off and contributed to the wins in other ways besides scoring. We can afford for them to not be hitting on all cylinders against the conference also-rans (although SDS is anything but an also-ran) but we will need all hands on deck against BSU and CSU.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post:
AggieFBObsession

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 17th, 2021, 10:23 pm

...has died. Or quit the team. Or is transferring.

At least that’s what I always assume when a player’s name is the title of a post. :lol:

aggies95

Post by aggies95 » January 18th, 2021, 8:33 am

Of all the players on the team, Marco has improved the most in my opinion. The Northern Colorado game was the turning point. Here are some team numbers through Northern Colorado (a game in which Marco took 20 shots and we only scored 63 points).

FG%: 42.5% (236th in country)
3PT%: 30.3 (258th in country)
3PA: 14.9 (322nd in country)
AST: 12.3 (240th in country)
PTS: 71.2 (205th in country)

Marco was leading the team in usage rate (25.2%- higher than Sam Merrill's usage rate last year of 24.9%) and FGA per game (12.4). He was taking early shot clock shots and mostly isolation shots (16 of his 20 FG against Northern Colorado were isolation). After that game, Marco started sharing the ball a lot more, and the offense started to look like the offenses of the past couple of years where we were top 10 in the country in assists. Here are our numbers in conference play:

FG%: 48.1%
3PT%: 35.9%
3PA: 22.6
AST: 18.4
PTS: 78.4

The turnaround offensively since the Northern Colorado game has been remarkable. In conference play, Marco is averaging 7.0 FGA (over 5 below his non-conference average), and his usage rate in conference play is 16.7% (down from 25.2%). Clearly Marco is picking and choosing when to attack, and involving teammates more. Credit to Marco to buying in to the Aggies offensive scheme (share, share, share the ball).
These users thanked the author aggies95 for the post (total 4):
Roy McAvoyBank Shotslcaggaggies22

logansdad2

Post by logansdad2 » January 18th, 2021, 1:20 pm

That was one of the best most astute post I’ve read on here in a long time. Well done
These users thanked the author logansdad2 for the post:
aggies95

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic