How did we land Ashworth?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
BobWilson
Posts: 885
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:03 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 108 times

How did we land Ashworth?

Post by BobWilson » January 17th, 2021, 12:05 am

I thought there was a tunnel from Alpine to the Marriott Center?



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 3359
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 943 times

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by ineptimusprime » January 17th, 2021, 12:40 am

According to Cooterboard, Ashworth’s family were big BYU donors, he didn’t get offered by BYU, family offended and now are no longer BYU donors.



Usu0505
Posts: 632
Joined: March 12th, 2018, 6:51 pm
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by Usu0505 » January 17th, 2021, 7:16 am

Big mistake.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



slcagg
Posts: 6417
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1379 times
Been thanked: 1097 times

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by slcagg » January 17th, 2021, 8:02 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 12:40 am
According to Cooterboard, Ashworth’s family were big BYU donors, he didn’t get offered by BYU, family offended and now are no longer BYU donors.
Also per a few posters on that board, even now all their scholarship players are better than him. That plane cracks me up.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0



User avatar
ProvoAggie
Site Admin
Posts: 13030
Joined: June 14th, 2010, 1:00 am
Location: Provo, Utah
Has thanked: 705 times
Been thanked: 903 times
Contact:

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by ProvoAggie » January 17th, 2021, 9:07 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 12:40 am
According to Cooterboard, Ashworth’s family were big BYU donors, he didn’t get offered by BYU, family offended and now are no longer BYU donors.
I know some of his family and I do know that at least most of that is true. I don't know if they really hate BYU and have stopped donating there but they were pretty die hard fans and that is where he wanted to go. Glad he's on our side now.



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 7523
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 489 times

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by 2004AG » January 17th, 2021, 9:08 am

BobWilson wrote:I thought there was a tunnel from Alpine to the Marriott Center?
Because byu didn’t offer him.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
bullshot



Aggie84025
Posts: 3141
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1062 times

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by Aggie84025 » January 17th, 2021, 9:26 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 9:07 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 12:40 am
According to Cooterboard, Ashworth’s family were big BYU donors, he didn’t get offered by BYU, family offended and now are no longer BYU donors.
I know some of his family and I do know that at least most of that is true. I don't know if they really hate BYU and have stopped donating there but they were pretty die hard fans and that is where he wanted to go. Glad he's on our side now.
Would you think he would think about transferring there in a year or 2?



Usu0505
Posts: 632
Joined: March 12th, 2018, 6:51 pm
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by Usu0505 » January 17th, 2021, 9:29 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 9:07 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 12:40 am
According to Cooterboard, Ashworth’s family were big BYU donors, he didn’t get offered by BYU, family offended and now are no longer BYU donors.
I know some of his family and I do know that at least most of that is true. I don't know if they really hate BYU and have stopped donating there but they were pretty die hard fans and that is where he wanted to go. Glad he's on our side now.
Would you think he would think about transferring there in a year or 2?
I could see him leaving if smith leaves.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 3359
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 943 times

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by ineptimusprime » January 17th, 2021, 9:52 am

Don’t put Ashworth leaving out into the universe.

If that were to happen, I’d consider never offering a player from Utah County jilted by BYU again. We aren’t some Triple AAA feeder team for BYU. We’re a peer school in a peer basketball conference.

Living well is the best revenge, not crawling back later. Hope Ashworth sees it that way too.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on January 17th, 2021, 9:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
MrBiggle



FL350Aggie
Posts: 189
Joined: January 19th, 2020, 4:57 pm
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 94 times

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by FL350Aggie » January 17th, 2021, 9:52 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 9:26 am
ProvoAggie wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 9:07 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 12:40 am
According to Cooterboard, Ashworth’s family were big BYU donors, he didn’t get offered by BYU, family offended and now are no longer BYU donors.
I know some of his family and I do know that at least most of that is true. I don't know if they really hate BYU and have stopped donating there but they were pretty die hard fans and that is where he wanted to go. Glad he's on our side now.
Would you think he would think about transferring there in a year or 2?
I don’t think so. He’s already a major contributor, coach loves him, fans love him why give that up to go down there and possibly mess that all up?



User avatar
frankiesaysrelax
Posts: 483
Joined: August 15th, 2014, 8:15 pm
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by frankiesaysrelax » January 17th, 2021, 9:55 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 12:40 am
According to Cooterboard, Ashworth’s family were big BYU donors, he didn’t get offered by BYU, family offended and now are no longer BYU donors.
Maybe this puts a chip on his shoulders and uses it to motivate him. Show them what they passed up. Jordan’s whole fortune was made off all the chips he had on his shoulders. Turned out they were all gold nuggets.



Stucki
Posts: 486
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:09 pm
Location: Midvale
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by Stucki » January 17th, 2021, 10:26 am

We've had pretty good success with a few Utah Co. athletes that didn't get offered or were jerked around by BYU.


Hail the Utah Aggies!

User avatar
ProvoAggie
Site Admin
Posts: 13030
Joined: June 14th, 2010, 1:00 am
Location: Provo, Utah
Has thanked: 705 times
Been thanked: 903 times
Contact:

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by ProvoAggie » January 17th, 2021, 10:31 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 9:07 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 12:40 am
According to Cooterboard, Ashworth’s family were big BYU donors, he didn’t get offered by BYU, family offended and now are no longer BYU donors.
I know some of his family and I do know that at least most of that is true. I don't know if they really hate BYU and have stopped donating there but they were pretty die hard fans and that is where he wanted to go. Glad he's on our side now.
Would you think he would think about transferring there in a year or 2?
I would hope not but I'm not that well connected. My dad knows his parents very well and I know his uncle and aunt. I talked to his parents last year and I know they were super excited to have him coming to Utah State and they seem to have a good relationship with Smith.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk




User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 2129
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 1912 times
Been thanked: 757 times

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 17th, 2021, 10:32 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 9:52 am
Don’t put Ashworth leaving out into the universe.

If that were to happen, I’d consider never offering a player from Utah County jilted by BYU again. We aren’t some Triple AAA feeder team for BYU. We’re a peer school in a peer basketball conference.

Living well is the best revenge, not crawling back later. Hope Ashworth sees it that way too.
Tai Wesley.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 3359
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 943 times

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by ineptimusprime » January 17th, 2021, 10:40 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 10:32 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 9:52 am
Don’t put Ashworth leaving out into the universe.

If that were to happen, I’d consider never offering a player from Utah County jilted by BYU again. We aren’t some Triple AAA feeder team for BYU. We’re a peer school in a peer basketball conference.

Living well is the best revenge, not crawling back later. Hope Ashworth sees it that way too.
Tai Wesley.
Yep. The question is -- is he a Kyle Davis or a Tai Wesley?



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1621
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 347 times

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 17th, 2021, 10:45 am

Wasn’t Tyler Newbold from Zoobieland somewhere? I think his dad was like the PA announcer for BYU football or something like that although I believe his parents were both USU grads. I may have my story mixed up but I will say it is difficult to find a more true blooded Aggie than Tyler.



Aggie84025
Posts: 3141
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1062 times

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by Aggie84025 » January 17th, 2021, 10:54 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 10:31 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 9:07 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 12:40 am
According to Cooterboard, Ashworth’s family were big BYU donors, he didn’t get offered by BYU, family offended and now are no longer BYU donors.
I know some of his family and I do know that at least most of that is true. I don't know if they really hate BYU and have stopped donating there but they were pretty die hard fans and that is where he wanted to go. Glad he's on our side now.
Would you think he would think about transferring there in a year or 2?
I would hope not but I'm not that well connected. My dad knows his parents very well and I know his uncle and aunt. I talked to his parents last year and I know they were super excited to have him coming to Utah State and they seem to have a good relationship with Smith.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Coach Smith is just awesome. Any parent would be glad to coach Smith overseeing their development i would imagine. You know they will work hard but it is clear they all love and respect him.



Aggie84025
Posts: 3141
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1062 times

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by Aggie84025 » January 17th, 2021, 10:55 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 10:45 am
Wasn’t Tyler Newbold from Zoobieland somewhere? I think his dad was like the PA announcer for BYU football or something like that although I believe his parents were both USU grads. I may have my story mixed up but I will say it is difficult to find a more true blooded Aggie than Tyler.
He was from payson i believe. He is as true of an aggie as they come.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
aggies22



LKGates
Posts: 3347
Joined: December 13th, 2010, 10:07 pm
Location: Salem, Oregon
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 335 times
Contact:

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by LKGates » January 17th, 2021, 11:20 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 10:45 am
Wasn’t Tyler Newbold from Zoobieland somewhere? I think his dad was like the PA announcer for BYU football or something like that although I believe his parents were both USU grads. I may have my story mixed up but I will say it is difficult to find a more true blooded Aggie than Tyler.
*hearted
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post:
USU78


Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AggieLarry

slcagg
Posts: 6417
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1379 times
Been thanked: 1097 times

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by slcagg » January 17th, 2021, 11:22 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 10:55 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 10:45 am
Wasn’t Tyler Newbold from Zoobieland somewhere? I think his dad was like the PA announcer for BYU football or something like that although I believe his parents were both USU grads. I may have my story mixed up but I will say it is difficult to find a more true blooded Aggie than Tyler.
He was from payson i believe. He is as true of an aggie as they come.
Still very engaged as well. You know another former player and not even from Utah that is engaged is Marcus Saxon. Pretty cool to see



User avatar
AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG
Posts: 6404
Joined: January 10th, 2003, 12:00 am
Location: northeast Iowa
Has thanked: 364 times
Been thanked: 141 times

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by AGinNEIowa » January 17th, 2021, 11:45 am

slcagg wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 11:22 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 10:55 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 10:45 am
Wasn’t Tyler Newbold from Zoobieland somewhere? I think his dad was like the PA announcer for BYU football or something like that although I believe his parents were both USU grads. I may have my story mixed up but I will say it is difficult to find a more true blooded Aggie than Tyler.
He was from payson i believe. He is as true of an aggie as they come.
Still very engaged as well. You know another former player and not even from Utah that is engaged is Marcus Saxon. Pretty cool to see
Honest Question ---is your measurement of engagement based on anything besides Twitter posts?


2020 PICK'EM GOOGLE Docs -
BOWLS (pick entry)

WEEK 15 (results)

User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 2129
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 1912 times
Been thanked: 757 times

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 17th, 2021, 11:54 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 10:40 am
Real Life Aggie wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 10:32 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 9:52 am
Don’t put Ashworth leaving out into the universe.

If that were to happen, I’d consider never offering a player from Utah County jilted by BYU again. We aren’t some Triple AAA feeder team for BYU. We’re a peer school in a peer basketball conference.

Living well is the best revenge, not crawling back later. Hope Ashworth sees it that way too.
Tai Wesley.
Yep. The question is -- is he a Kyle Davis or a Tai Wesley?
Kyle's a friend, and his return was a little more nuanced than BYU would accept him.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
aggieguy13



slcagg
Posts: 6417
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1379 times
Been thanked: 1097 times

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by slcagg » January 17th, 2021, 11:59 am

AGinNEIowa wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 11:45 am
slcagg wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 11:22 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 10:55 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 10:45 am
Wasn’t Tyler Newbold from Zoobieland somewhere? I think his dad was like the PA announcer for BYU football or something like that although I believe his parents were both USU grads. I may have my story mixed up but I will say it is difficult to find a more true blooded Aggie than Tyler.
He was from payson i believe. He is as true of an aggie as they come.
Still very engaged as well. You know another former player and not even from Utah that is engaged is Marcus Saxon. Pretty cool to see
Honest Question ---is your measurement of engagement based on anything besides Twitter posts?
Nope. I should say he is active on social media and pro aggies.

Back when I lived closer a few years ago I’d see him at games as well.



User avatar
flying_scotsman2.0
Posts: 1268
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm
Has thanked: 949 times
Been thanked: 425 times

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 17th, 2021, 12:22 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 9:52 am
Don’t put Ashworth leaving out into the universe.

If that were to happen, I’d consider never offering a player from Utah County jilted by BYU again. We aren’t some Triple AAA feeder team for BYU. We’re a peer school in a peer basketball conference.

Living well is the best revenge, not crawling back later. Hope Ashworth sees it that way too.
Peer conference? Superior conference.



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 2129
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 1912 times
Been thanked: 757 times

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 17th, 2021, 12:44 pm

slcagg wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 11:59 am
AGinNEIowa wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 11:45 am
slcagg wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 11:22 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 10:55 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 10:45 am
Wasn’t Tyler Newbold from Zoobieland somewhere? I think his dad was like the PA announcer for BYU football or something like that although I believe his parents were both USU grads. I may have my story mixed up but I will say it is difficult to find a more true blooded Aggie than Tyler.
He was from payson i believe. He is as true of an aggie as they come.
Still very engaged as well. You know another former player and not even from Utah that is engaged is Marcus Saxon. Pretty cool to see
Honest Question ---is your measurement of engagement based on anything besides Twitter posts?
Nope. I should say he is active on social media and pro aggies.

Back when I lived closer a few years ago I’d see him at games as well.
I haven't been to any this year, but I frequently saw him last year.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10727
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6662 times
Been thanked: 4115 times
Contact:

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by aggies22 » January 17th, 2021, 2:18 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 9:29 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 9:07 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 12:40 am
According to Cooterboard, Ashworth’s family were big BYU donors, he didn’t get offered by BYU, family offended and now are no longer BYU donors.
I know some of his family and I do know that at least most of that is true. I don't know if they really hate BYU and have stopped donating there but they were pretty die hard fans and that is where he wanted to go. Glad he's on our side now.
Would you think he would think about transferring there in a year or 2?
I could see him leaving if smith leaves.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He was a Duryea commit. I don't see him as being the type of kid that bails because he hears through "the grapevine" that BYU suddenly has room for him. He seems like the type of kid that will do his damnedest to make them pay.
Last edited by aggies22 on January 17th, 2021, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 6):
slcaggReal Life AggieAgSpaceCaseProvoAggieaggieguy13BLUERUFiO



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface
Posts: 16094
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 623 times
Been thanked: 1223 times

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 17th, 2021, 3:14 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 10:55 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 10:45 am
Wasn’t Tyler Newbold from Zoobieland somewhere? I think his dad was like the PA announcer for BYU football or something like that although I believe his parents were both USU grads. I may have my story mixed up but I will say it is difficult to find a more true blooded Aggie than Tyler.
He was from payson i believe. He is as true of an aggie as they come.
So he did more than kiss on the A?



cval
Posts: 1035
Joined: December 10th, 2010, 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: How did we land Ashworth?

Post by cval » January 17th, 2021, 7:35 pm

I went to USU with Kelly Newbold (Tyler’s Dad). He was a really good high jumper on a track scholarship at USU. Played Basketball at CEU, and tried to walk on here, but Rod Tueller wasn’t interested. He was a great leaper, and fabulous shooter, but played very little defense in the pickup games I played with him. Really good guy.
These users thanked the author cval for the post (total 2):
aggies22USU78



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic