Ashworth and Miller

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

Ashworth and Miller

Post by SLB » January 16th, 2021, 2:07 pm

Miller scored 13.5 points per game in the San Diego State games.
Ashworth scored 11 points per game in the San Diego State games.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
aggies22

AggiePT

Re: Ashworth and Miller

Post by AggiePT » January 16th, 2021, 2:08 pm

Hats off to them both. Great effort on both end of the court.

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » January 16th, 2021, 2:20 pm

Marco didn’t provide much O but was good on D. Not super crisp on offense - anytime we put ball on floor they seem to get hands on it. Always tough games vs them. We’re on verge of dropping one when MM was out but nice work coming out of break getting right back in it and finishing it off

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » January 16th, 2021, 2:21 pm

I thought Ashworth was the difference today. Tremendously impressed with the kid. Gamer through and through. I was a little skeptical of those that were saying before the season that he just has the “it” factor. They were right. I know what they were talking about now.

Great win. We’ve won a bunch of games going away. Good to see that we can respond when we’re in a hole and then eek out a close win. Big confidence builder I would think.

Is that not the winning team?!!!
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post (total 4):
utaggiesReal Life Aggiehipsterdoofus21aggies22

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 16th, 2021, 2:30 pm

I will be honest I did not have high hopes for ashworth. i was worried about his height and if he could run an offense as a point guard. I was also worried about his defense as well.

Fast forward to now and I was completely wrong about him. He is playing so well over the last 5-6 games. He is a good shooter and makes good decisions as well with the ball. What I love most about him is his peskiness on defense. He has no fear, he may not be tall, but he plays with a chip on his shoulder. If he played on the other team, I would probably hate him because is so pesky and cocky, but I love the way he plays for the aggies. He has a bright future.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 4):
utaggiesBLUERUFiOaggies22hipsterdoofus21

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 16th, 2021, 2:38 pm

The best call of the night by Smith was the time out at the end, where he substituted Worster for Ashworth so that Ashworth could shoot the free throws. He also reminded Worster that he could run the baseline which gave him a much better chance to get the ball in.
BTW, did you like Ashworth’s flying three pointer? Ashworth isn’t going to be just good. He is close to beyond good already.

The best piece of video today was Clark Kellogg’s interview with Coach Smith after the game. It was choice!!

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 16th, 2021, 2:40 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 2:30 pm
I will be honest I did not have high hopes for ashworth. i was worried about his height and if he could run an offense as a point guard. I was also worried about his defense as well.

Fast forward to now and I was completely wrong about him. He is playing so well over the last 5-6 games. He is a good shooter and makes good decisions as well with the ball. What I love most about him is his peskiness on defense. He has no fear, he may not be tall, but he plays with a chip on his shoulder. If he played on the other team, I would probably hate him because is so pesky and cocky, but I love the way he plays for the aggies. He has a bright future.
You just described John Stockton
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 3):
3rdGenAggieUSU78aggies22

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 16th, 2021, 2:43 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 2:40 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:

He actually just described a superior version of Stockton. He’ll be drafted the year after bean.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 2):
AggiePTBustaMcNutt

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 16th, 2021, 3:06 pm

You can see a lot of "Sam" in Ashworth. He has great instinct, nice shot, great handles, plays tough D.

If he was Sam's height he would've likely had several high major offers. Duke tried to get him to walk on

Either way he looks like he's gonna end up a USU all timer when all is said and done after 4 seasons
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post (total 5):
3rdGenAggieReal Life AggieutaggiesBLUERUFiOaggies22

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » January 16th, 2021, 3:22 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 3:06 pm
You can see a lot of "Sam" in Ashworth. He has great instinct, nice shot, great handles, plays tough D.

If he was Sam's height he would've likely had several high major offers. Duke tried to get him to walk on

Either way he looks like he's gonna end up a USU all timer when all is said and done after 4 seasons
He’s the type of player you hate if your the other team and fans - similar to T Wesley. He is a unicorn - went to Lone Peak and didn’t go to BYU.

Glad we have him and Rollie. Pretty good 1-2 punch whom offer different things for the next 4 years.

Great minutes from AA lately and his FT were at big times as well.

CSU doesn’t have the D or length SDSU has but has good guards and can score in bunches.
These users thanked the author SpectrumMagic for the post (total 2):
MetsJetsAggiescdaAg

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 16th, 2021, 3:26 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 2:43 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:

He actually just described a superior version of Stockton. He’ll be drafted the year after bean.
I was referring to the fact that Ashworths qualities are a lot like Stockton. I said nothi about him being good enough for the NBA. Right now he is showing that he is a really good little point guard. You assume too much my fellow Aggie and fellow Scotsman.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 16th, 2021, 3:39 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:

That's been my secret thought. Didn't dare jinx him.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 16th, 2021, 3:40 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 3:26 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 2:43 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:

I was referring to the fact that Ashworths qualities are a lot like Stockton. I said nothi about him being good enough for the NBA. Right now he is showing that he is a really good little point guard. You assume too much my fellow Aggie and fellow Scotsman.
I assumed nothing, just stating my own opinion. We are now a program that produces NBA players each and every year thing this last year.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
mcaggie1

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 16th, 2021, 3:42 pm

Ashworth definitely gets the game ball. I'm not sure Gomez scored again in the 2nd half after Ashworth started guarding him. He's fearless and just a play maker.
Miller had some big timely shots and was crucial in the comeback. His shooting ability opens up our offense.
Anderson had a stretch in that second half that saved our butts. Started tentatively, but the longer he was out there he exerted himself more and more.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
bluegrouse

SLB

Post by SLB » January 16th, 2021, 4:34 pm

In-conference stats, Ashworth is our #5 guy in points per game. Both Miller and Ashworth are shooting 40% from 3.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 16th, 2021, 7:43 pm

Think about this. Gomez who was considered one of the top transfers into the conference, one of our freshman guards just went toe to toe with a very good senior in a very meaningful game.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 3):
bluegrousehipsterdoofus21BLUERUFiO

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » January 16th, 2021, 8:05 pm

Ashworth will be a great Aggie! (My consistent message!)
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
slcagg

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 17th, 2021, 11:20 am

SLB wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 4:34 pm
In-conference stats, Ashworth is our #5 guy in points per game. Both Miller and Ashworth are shooting 40% from 3.
Is it an overreaction on my part to think ashworth might be the most natural scorer on the team ?

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » January 17th, 2021, 2:40 pm

slcagg wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 11:20 am
SLB wrote:
Is it an overreaction on my part to think ashworth might be the most natural scorer on the team ?
No. He makes it look effortless and takes what is given to him. If he was a few inches taller, we would have Sam 2.0.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 17th, 2021, 2:49 pm

AggiePT wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 2:40 pm
slcagg wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 11:20 am
SLB wrote:
No. He makes it look effortless and takes what is given to him. If he was a few inches taller, we would have Sam 2.0.
He's definitely different from Sam... I think he's more of a natural ball handler. He's got years to prove he's as consistent or pure of a shooter. And Sam really began to shine senior year as an incredible facilitator.

So, I think Ashworth is on a great track.

Locked Previous topicNext topic