Bairstow

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Notatrueaggie
Has thanked: 0

Bairstow

Post by Notatrueaggie » January 19th, 2021, 9:33 pm

I think bairstow is playing solid but he only got 6 minutes tonight... is there a reason why? I think that he should be playing more and be miller’s backup. He should at least be getting 15 minutes a game. His defense is solid, he can shoot, why isn’t he playing? I know he is super excited and can be sloppy at times, but i would say he should be in the rotation. I watched him closely tonight and he does not seem very happy
These users thanked the author Notatrueaggie for the post:
aggies22

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Re: Bairstow

Post by sam tingey » January 19th, 2021, 9:34 pm

Notatrueaggie wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 9:33 pm
I think bairstow is playing solid but he only got 6 minutes tonight... is there a reason why? I think that he should be playing more and be miller’s backup. He should at least be getting 15 minutes a game. His defense is solid, he can shoot, why isn’t he playing? I know he is super excited and can be sloppy at times, but i would say he should be in the rotation. I watched him closely tonight and he does not seem very happy
he didn't deserve more time tonight.Other nights, maybe, but tonight belonged to Miller
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post (total 2):
Yossarianaggies22

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 19th, 2021, 9:38 pm

Notatrueaggie wrote:
Point heard. I, too, really like Bairstow. So, let's take it a step further. Whose minutes tonight should he have gotten?

That's the problem. When things go like they did tonight it's just hard to find minutes for him.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
aggies22

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 19th, 2021, 9:38 pm

I don't think he's playing solid. He has hit a few shots, but he is turning the ball over a lot. He loses control a lot when drives into the lane and loses the ball or gets an offensive foul. He gets pushed out of position on rebounds, too.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 3):
Real Life Aggieutaggiesaggies22

Eutaw St. Aggie

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » January 19th, 2021, 9:39 pm

Notatrueaggie wrote:
Who do you take minutes from to get him those 15 minutes. Do you think Miller should have given him his minutes? That's nuts. Ashworth has been too good to keep off the court. Worster had a masterful game with 9 assists. Anthony was shutting down the the CSU all star. He just needs to be ready to play in the flow of the game.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
aggies22

Notatrueaggie

Post by Notatrueaggie » January 19th, 2021, 9:42 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 9:38 pm
Notatrueaggie wrote:
Point heard. I, too, really like Bairstow. So, let's take it a step further. Whose minutes tonight should he have gotten?

That's the problem. When things go like they did tonight it's just hard to find minutes for him.
Ashworth? Anthony? I especially don’t get it when you’re up 20 with 4 minutes to go and you don’t have your bench players in. Idk but i think he is important to this team and i don’t want him to transfer

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » January 19th, 2021, 9:49 pm

Notatrueaggie wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 9:42 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 9:38 pm
Notatrueaggie wrote:

Ashworth? Anthony? I especially don’t get it when you’re up 20 with 4 minutes to go and you don’t have your bench players in. Idk but i think he is important to this team and i don’t want him to transfer
Miller was rolling and Smith was taking no chances. CSU came back 26 against SDSU and we had that Boise debacle last year. The team was keeping CSU at Bay and expanding the lead so he waited to make a change. I thought he waited a bit long too but on the other hand I think when Miller is shooting like that it is good for Miller just gaining more and more consistent confidence. He is the wildcard on how far this team goes.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
MrBiggle

Cows-n-aggies

Post by Cows-n-aggies » January 19th, 2021, 9:54 pm

Out of control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » January 19th, 2021, 10:00 pm

I like the guy, but he is a guaranteed turnover within the first minute of being in. And like others have said, it was working so well why mess up a good thing.

Where only sage brush grows

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 19th, 2021, 10:01 pm

His outside shot is nice, but he shouldn't put the ball on the floor... too slow to get by anyone more often than not. Needs to work on his quickness. Gives us a nice 3 pt threat off the bench though

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 19th, 2021, 10:51 pm

I really think he should concentrate on his strengths which at this point is as a spot up 3pt shooter. If he has his feet set he is a pretty good shooter from deep. He likes to slash and drive but it almost always leads to something bad. If he could come in and spell Miller as the 3 point option on O and hit the boards on D I think he would see more time.

Until he stops forcing things and turning the ball over I don't see his role changing much.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 19th, 2021, 10:58 pm

I think it's good to give the deeper bench guys a few meaningful minutes from time to time. I think you can lose them if they only ever play garbage time.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » January 19th, 2021, 11:34 pm

After CSU, we have a few series where he will see more minutes. In the big games against good competition, you play what works best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » January 19th, 2021, 11:39 pm

I'm going to say that in two years you will see Bairstow be very good at the slash and drive game. Let him do it and develop!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 19th, 2021, 11:40 pm

brownjeans wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 10:58 pm
I think it's good to give the deeper bench guys a few meaningful minutes from time to time. I think you can lose them if they only ever play garbage time.
I am hopeful after the next game against CSU, we will be able to build up big enough leads in upcoming games to get the bench guys some meaningful minutes. I’d especially like to see if Zapala can break through a bit. It’d be nice to have a better idea of what we have with him for the post-Queta world we will likely be living in next year. Zapala has shown signs of being able to develop an offensive game, but has also been a turnover machine.

I would definitely use Zahar’s newly-opened scholarship on a long, athletic big, grad transfer or otherwise.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 20th, 2021, 8:27 am

I think Bairstow has taken small steps of progress each season. I like seeing him shooting with confidence this year. His penetration game is still pretty sloppy. I think he is still a year away from being a major contributor. That may change due to eligibility changes due to COVID. I don't see any reason to play Bairstow over guys that are playing well. I also see the current game setup as a challenge. You don't want to give the other team something to build on at the end of game 1.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » January 20th, 2021, 8:54 am

Last night he played well and took better care of the ball but Rollie has been a walking turnover. If he reverts back to that I'd like to see Bairstow get some of his minutes. I am not suggesting Bairstow run the point but that would free up some minutes.

In a blow out I'd like to see Smith experiment with a small lineup of Ashworth, Anthony, Miller, Bairstow, and either Bean or Anderson. You could add Rollie into that mix as well.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » January 20th, 2021, 9:05 am

brian5562 wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 8:54 am
Last night he played well and took better care of the ball but Rollie has been a walking turnover. If he reverts back to that I'd like to see Bairstow get some of his minutes. I am not suggesting Bairstow run the point but that would free up some minutes.

In a blow out I'd like to see Smith experiment with a small lineup of Ashworth, Anthony, Miller, Bairstow, and either Bean or Anderson. You could add Rollie into that mix as well.
Rollie had 9 assists to 3 turnovers last night. I'm ok with that ratio.

Aggies All the Way!

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 20th, 2021, 10:00 am

I think Bairstow has been really solid. He still needs to be stronger with the ball when going to the hoop, but he is not turning the ball over as much. He also has developed that 10-15 foot jump shot when going to the hoop. His 3 point shot has been really good this year. He seem to hustle and play pretty good defense as well. He will continue to develop, but he has for sure improved over last year in my opinion.

IBleedAggieBlue

Post by IBleedAggieBlue » January 20th, 2021, 10:56 am

His shot looks nice. They just need to get his drives under control. Every fast break seems to lead him to a charging call.

Aggiefan160

Post by Aggiefan160 » January 20th, 2021, 3:18 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 9:05 am
brian5562 wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 8:54 am

Rollie had 9 assists to 3 turnovers last night. I'm ok with that ratio.
Over all, Rollie has a better assist to turnover ratio than Bairstow as well. I feel like most of Rollie's turnovers are trying to do a little bit too much. I think from a team perspective, Rollie is better at making those around him better. But I like Bairstow's potential.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 20th, 2021, 4:23 pm

Sometimes we forget that there are only 200 minutes to go around, and it isn't uncommon for college players to play 30-35+ minutes in a close game. You have about 80 guard minutes to go around between Anthony, Worster, Ashworth, and Bairstow, and Miller can play spot minutes at the 2 as well. I would expect Anthony to play 25-30, Worster to play 25-30, and Ashworth to play 20-25. That doesn't leave a lot of minutes for Bairstow. And I am not sure I would want to take any minutes from the other 3 just to give Bairstow more time.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 20th, 2021, 6:56 pm

Sean reminds me a lot of Diogo Brito. His first two seasons here many of you couldn't WAIT to run him off. He then developed into one of our most valuable players his final two seasons. Let the kid find his way. He will be a good player.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggieMetsJetsAggies

jwaggie

Post by jwaggie » January 20th, 2021, 9:18 pm

I was just going to say the same think! Brito had a lot of turnovers and out of control possessions. I really think Bairstow will come around. He's already made huge strides from last year.
aggies22 wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 6:56 pm
Sean reminds me a lot of Diogo Brito. His first two seasons here many of you couldn't WAIT to run him off. He then developed into one of our most valuable players his final two seasons. Let the kid find his way. He will be a good player.
These users thanked the author jwaggie for the post:
aggies22

Locked Previous topicNext topic