Dump 1280!

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 518
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 203 times

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » January 10th, 2021, 12:14 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 1:07 pm
Meh. This feels like an overreaction. Nobody cares about Sam Merrill but us, and we are a relatively small percentage of their listeners. The vast majority of their listeners were listening for stuff on the Jazz. It would have been nice if they had brought it up, but whatever. What difference does it make?
A "Meh" attitude is why no one will ever talk about us. If our fans don't give a sh*t they why should they? The squeaky wheel gets the grease.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 4524
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 349 times
Been thanked: 803 times

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 10th, 2021, 8:52 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 12:14 am
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 1:07 pm
Meh. This feels like an overreaction. Nobody cares about Sam Merrill but us, and we are a relatively small percentage of their listeners. The vast majority of their listeners were listening for stuff on the Jazz. It would have been nice if they had brought it up, but whatever. What difference does it make?
A "Meh" attitude is why no one will ever talk about us. If our fans don't give a sh*t they why should they? The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
I made this point before. It isn't just Sam Merrill. I hate being on a network that promotes our rivals. I get the business side to it, but it reeks of being the little brother. Hope we do better at some point.



WannabeAgAlum
Posts: 121
Joined: November 15th, 2012, 6:48 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by WannabeAgAlum » January 10th, 2021, 9:26 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 12:11 am
WannabeAgAlum wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 1:19 pm
They talk more about USU, more people tune out. Sad but true. Only solution I can think of is USU makes a run like BSU football over several years/decades.
Based on what metric? I have many friends and family members who are either BYU or Utah fans. None of them are ever offended by a little USU talk. Usually, they're curious as to what's going on up in Logan because amongst the three D1 programs in the state, the media never talks about them. Utah fans tune out if you talk BYU and vice versa (not USU).
Based on the SLC metro area market demographics.

There already is a little USU talk.



User avatar
bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score
Posts: 2318
Joined: March 5th, 2015, 7:59 pm
Location: The suburbs of Lewiston
Has thanked: 198 times
Been thanked: 140 times

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by bigblue » January 10th, 2021, 10:05 am

KVNU and 106.9 still talks about USU a ton even though they don't play the games. Really there hasn't been any difference other than Al isn't calling the games and the games aren't broadcasted on their stations. Honestly, I would bet at some point in the future CVMG will end up being the flagship station again.

On a side note, wasn't the zone part of the deal with the Millers selling the Jazz? Thought I read that somewhere.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk



Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

User avatar
OKAggie
Posts: 2543
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:32 am
Location: Tulsa, OK
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 332 times

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by OKAggie » January 10th, 2021, 11:24 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 12:14 am
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 1:07 pm
Meh. This feels like an overreaction. Nobody cares about Sam Merrill but us, and we are a relatively small percentage of their listeners. The vast majority of their listeners were listening for stuff on the Jazz. It would have been nice if they had brought it up, but whatever. What difference does it make?
A "Meh" attitude is why no one will ever talk about us. If our fans don't give a sh*t they why should they? The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
No, it does not. The wheel that draws advertiser dollars gets the grease. Squeak all you want, but that ain't changing. Until Needham Jewelers and Beazer Lock and Key start paying that SLC rate card for Aggie Hour on the Zone, you'll get what you've always gotten. Don't like it, don't listen.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post:
BustaMcNutt


Nobody here knows anything.

oleblu111
Posts: 1824
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 894 times
Been thanked: 337 times

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by oleblu111 » January 10th, 2021, 11:32 am

OKAggie wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 11:24 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 12:14 am
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 1:07 pm
Meh. This feels like an overreaction. Nobody cares about Sam Merrill but us, and we are a relatively small percentage of their listeners. The vast majority of their listeners were listening for stuff on the Jazz. It would have been nice if they had brought it up, but whatever. What difference does it make?
A "Meh" attitude is why no one will ever talk about us. If our fans don't give a sh*t they why should they? The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
No, it does not. The wheel that draws advertiser dollars gets the grease. Squeak all you want, but that ain't changing. Until Needham Jewelers and Beazer Lock and Key start paying that SLC rate card for Aggie Hour on the Zone, you'll get what you've always gotten. Don't like it, don't listen.
That is 100% correct. USU needs revenue, and have coverage in the SLC area. Logan does not have the desire or ability to grow enough that the majority of USU grads remain in Logan. If USU is ever able to get the fan support and revenue needed it must come from the SLC area.



User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 6074
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 438 times
Contact:

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by TheAKAggie » January 10th, 2021, 1:24 pm

I’m really excited to have this conversation again in 12 months. DJ&PK don’t talk Aggies, don’t listen. Scotty and Hans don’t talk Aggies, don’t listen. Coaches shows and Aggie games? Tune in. As long as you’re not a luddite and streaming they will notice. If you listen all day hoping to get a snippet, they win. If you want hot Aggie talk even though the cohost Ajay’s favorite team is ByU check out KFAN from 4-6 MST on TuneIn.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hail Aggies!

Stewie Griffin
Posts: 31
Joined: November 12th, 2020, 5:24 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by Stewie Griffin » January 10th, 2021, 5:32 pm

Those guys are clowns!
I only listen to Hans and Scotty G.
The other programs are (I can't express myself without swearing).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk




gomretat
Posts: 698
Joined: November 27th, 2013, 10:16 am
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by gomretat » January 11th, 2021, 8:33 am

No one likes whiners and every school thinks they get the shaft from media. Lets just win more and then we will get more coverage. And as a frequent listener of 1280, I like most of them other than Hans. Scotty G does a great job without being a homer.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post:
oleblu111



bigbluesam
Posts: 20
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 5:46 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by bigbluesam » January 11th, 2021, 11:43 am

I understand that most of 1280’s listenership is BYU and Utah and get why they focus on them. I also get why they want to be the flagship station of one of the major Universities in the state. My problem comes when a major event happens for Utah State that they choose not
to cover. As “Flagship” you SHOULD have a responsibility to cover certain events. Specifically what comes to mind was the press conference following Gary’s firing. for the life of me I can’t understand why 1280 didn’t air that live.

The change from 610 to 1280 has always been a mystery to me. drastically different stories about how things went down depending on who you ask.

I don’t mind Scotty on the mic but Al Lewis will always be the Voice of the Aggies to me and should still be.



oleblu111
Posts: 1824
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 894 times
Been thanked: 337 times

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by oleblu111 » January 11th, 2021, 12:45 pm

It stands to reason that KVNU lost the bid to broadcast aggie games. The cache valley media group chose not to cover the aggie games that were on Kfan.

Al Lewis had terrible equipment that broke down often, and his shrill style was a hard listen, his interviews had questions that lasted longer than the response Scott is light years better than Al.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
tjensen_25



User avatar
travelingagg
Posts: 1127
Joined: November 13th, 2010, 10:29 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by travelingagg » January 11th, 2021, 4:58 pm

Let them know. They need to hear it.

Here's their publicly-provided contact information.

https://1280thezone.com/contact-us/

Call Us
SLC, Provo, Ogden
855-340-ZONE

Email Us
Lloyd Cole
Director of Programming, The Zone Sports Network
lloyd.cole@1280thezone.com

Nathan Scholz
Director of Promotions & Digital, The Zone Sports Network
nathan.scholz@utahjazz.com


Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

AggieSox
Posts: 1014
Joined: August 6th, 2012, 8:43 pm
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by AggieSox » January 12th, 2021, 11:32 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 1:07 pm
Meh. This feels like an overreaction. Nobody cares about Sam Merrill but us, and we are a relatively small percentage of their listeners. The vast majority of their listeners were listening for stuff on the Jazz. It would have been nice if they had brought it up, but whatever. What difference does it make?
Nice man. So his hometown of Bountiful doesn't care????????

What difference does it make????? Where do you live Idaho?? You obviously don't get it or care. Let me help you.

USU probably had 10,000 people tune into pre game, game, & post game from Logan and let's day 2,000 from Wasatch front, now they switch to 1280 to get all the Wasatch front aggies, so now they get 2,500 from Wasatch Front to listen an only 2,000 from Logan. So we went from 12,000 Loyal listeners to 4,500 all for the exposure man, come on, you know. All those people on the Wasatch front who love the aggies and all the money pouring into 1280 cuz they want to sponsor USU...…..NOT...

Now do you get it? Those numbers are made up, but I bet they are close to accurate. Never has Hartwell or anyone shared the numbers why? Because they got worse and you don't talk about it when it sucks. End of Story.



AggieSox
Posts: 1014
Joined: August 6th, 2012, 8:43 pm
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by AggieSox » January 12th, 2021, 11:33 pm

I will say Scottie can be better to listen to than Al lewis on a Play by play. I don't think Al ever played basketball much and it shows.



Aggie19
Posts: 916
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 637 times
Been thanked: 495 times

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by Aggie19 » January 13th, 2021, 12:51 am





Go Aggies!

cval
Posts: 1035
Joined: December 10th, 2010, 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by cval » January 13th, 2021, 8:59 am

Perhaps a better strategy would be to pressure the CVMG to swallow their pride and become an affiliate to carry the 1280 Game Broadcasts.
These users thanked the author cval for the post (total 3):
brossp24oleblu111tjensen_25



antibluehair
Posts: 345
Joined: December 1st, 2010, 7:11 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by antibluehair » January 13th, 2021, 1:49 pm

Scotty is pretty good on the radio show but listening to him on pxp can anyone tell what is going on other than who has the ball?



User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 5564
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has thanked: 295 times
Been thanked: 682 times

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by Aglicious » January 13th, 2021, 2:30 pm

AggieSox wrote:
January 12th, 2021, 11:32 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 1:07 pm
Meh. This feels like an overreaction. Nobody cares about Sam Merrill but us, and we are a relatively small percentage of their listeners. The vast majority of their listeners were listening for stuff on the Jazz. It would have been nice if they had brought it up, but whatever. What difference does it make?
Nice man. So his hometown of Bountiful doesn't care????????

What difference does it make????? Where do you live Idaho?? You obviously don't get it or care. Let me help you.

USU probably had 10,000 people tune into pre game, game, & post game from Logan and let's day 2,000 from Wasatch front, now they switch to 1280 to get all the Wasatch front aggies, so now they get 2,500 from Wasatch Front to listen an only 2,000 from Logan. So we went from 12,000 Loyal listeners to 4,500 all for the exposure man, come on, you know. All those people on the Wasatch front who love the aggies and all the money pouring into 1280 cuz they want to sponsor USU...…..NOT...

Now do you get it? Those numbers are made up, but I bet they are close to accurate. Never has Hartwell or anyone shared the numbers why? Because they got worse and you don't talk about it when it sucks. End of Story.
My question is what happened to all the hypothetical people in Logan that all of a sudden don't tune in anymore? Did they cease to be Aggie fans? If the above described scenario were reality I would say that is a them problem, not a USU problem. Are we saying that there has been a sharp decline in listeners from CV because they can't get a clear signal on a radio for whatever reason? Or are we saying that listeners have been lost because they are loyal to KVNU as the local station and refuse to tune into 1280? As a loyal fan, I highly doubt your preference for one radio station over another is going to stop you from listening to coverage of your team.

1280 provided the best package to USU and so they have the contract. I'm sure the $$ part of that was a big factor and some people will argue it shouldn't all be about money but reality is that since the Aggies have been on 1280, it has also never been more easy or available to listen to a game no matter where you are in the world. I don't even have a radio in my house (as I suspect most people don't these days) and if I'm driving around I am almost 100% of the time streaming music or listening to a podcast. For any loyal fan it is one click away on any phone.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 5):
OKAggieProvoAggie3rdGenAggieoleblu111tjensen_25



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 6812
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 579 times
Been thanked: 258 times

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 13th, 2021, 3:04 pm

Yeah, it has been way easier to find Aggie games since the switch to 1280. Also, I can now listen to coaches shows, etc. after the fact. I never listen to them live, but often find them on the 1280 website or app a few days later.


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

User avatar
Mr. Sneelock
Posts: 5629
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:09 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 314 times

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 15th, 2021, 10:41 am

AggieSox wrote:
January 12th, 2021, 11:32 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 1:07 pm
Meh. This feels like an overreaction. Nobody cares about Sam Merrill but us, and we are a relatively small percentage of their listeners. The vast majority of their listeners were listening for stuff on the Jazz. It would have been nice if they had brought it up, but whatever. What difference does it make?
Nice man. So his hometown of Bountiful doesn't care????????

What difference does it make????? Where do you live Idaho?? You obviously don't get it or care. Let me help you.

USU probably had 10,000 people tune into pre game, game, & post game from Logan and let's day 2,000 from Wasatch front, now they switch to 1280 to get all the Wasatch front aggies, so now they get 2,500 from Wasatch Front to listen an only 2,000 from Logan. So we went from 12,000 Loyal listeners to 4,500 all for the exposure man, come on, you know. All those people on the Wasatch front who love the aggies and all the money pouring into 1280 cuz they want to sponsor USU...…..NOT...

Now do you get it? Those numbers are made up, but I bet they are close to accurate. Never has Hartwell or anyone shared the numbers why? Because they got worse and you don't talk about it when it sucks. End of Story.
I wasn't talking about the switch to 1280. I was talking about why they don't talk about Sam Merrill on their morning show.

I don't know if you're a Jazz fan or not, but let's assume you are. This is perhaps not the best example since he isn't still in the league, but when DJ and PK are talking about the Jazz game, do you care if they ask the other team's play-by-play guy about Kyle Collinsworth? No? Put yourself into the other listeners' shoes. BYU and Utah fans mostly don't give a rip about Sam Merrill any more than you give a rip about former UVU, BYU, or Weber State players. In fact, the vast majority of them probably don't even know who Sam Merrill is, and most of those that do don't know he plays for Milwaukee, and most of those that do don't care. Their listeners want to hear about the matchups that matter.

Look, we all love Sam Merrill, but he is an end-of-the bench guy that gets a couple of mop-up minutes in blowouts.


Formerly TulsAGGIE

User avatar
Mr. Sneelock
Posts: 5629
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:09 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 314 times

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 15th, 2021, 10:44 am

Aglicious wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 2:30 pm
AggieSox wrote:
January 12th, 2021, 11:32 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 1:07 pm
Meh. This feels like an overreaction. Nobody cares about Sam Merrill but us, and we are a relatively small percentage of their listeners. The vast majority of their listeners were listening for stuff on the Jazz. It would have been nice if they had brought it up, but whatever. What difference does it make?
Nice man. So his hometown of Bountiful doesn't care????????

What difference does it make????? Where do you live Idaho?? You obviously don't get it or care. Let me help you.

USU probably had 10,000 people tune into pre game, game, & post game from Logan and let's day 2,000 from Wasatch front, now they switch to 1280 to get all the Wasatch front aggies, so now they get 2,500 from Wasatch Front to listen an only 2,000 from Logan. So we went from 12,000 Loyal listeners to 4,500 all for the exposure man, come on, you know. All those people on the Wasatch front who love the aggies and all the money pouring into 1280 cuz they want to sponsor USU...…..NOT...

Now do you get it? Those numbers are made up, but I bet they are close to accurate. Never has Hartwell or anyone shared the numbers why? Because they got worse and you don't talk about it when it sucks. End of Story.
My question is what happened to all the hypothetical people in Logan that all of a sudden don't tune in anymore? Did they cease to be Aggie fans? If the above described scenario were reality I would say that is a them problem, not a USU problem. Are we saying that there has been a sharp decline in listeners from CV because they can't get a clear signal on a radio for whatever reason? Or are we saying that listeners have been lost because they are loyal to KVNU as the local station and refuse to tune into 1280? As a loyal fan, I highly doubt your preference for one radio station over another is going to stop you from listening to coverage of your team.

1280 provided the best package to USU and so they have the contract. I'm sure the $$ part of that was a big factor and some people will argue it shouldn't all be about money but reality is that since the Aggies have been on 1280, it has also never been more easy or available to listen to a game no matter where you are in the world. I don't even have a radio in my house (as I suspect most people don't these days) and if I'm driving around I am almost 100% of the time streaming music or listening to a podcast. For any loyal fan it is one click away on any phone.
Maybe people in Logan don't have the internet yet. They probably all gather around their radios, 1930's style, to listen to the Agricultural College cagers right after "Little Orphan Annie." If anyone wants to listen to the game, there are multiple ways to do it.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 2):
tjensen_25OKAggie


Formerly TulsAGGIE

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 17757
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 893 times
Been thanked: 914 times

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by NVAggie » January 15th, 2021, 10:59 am

Kind of like the Jimmer stuff right? I don't remember hearing much about Jimmer after his BYU days. He wasn't drafted by the Jazz. Well, besides when he got married, when he had a baby, when he switched teams 10 times, when he went to China to play. Other than that, I never heard about him after those BYU days.



User avatar
tysteve20
Posts: 303
Joined: August 28th, 2014, 3:21 pm
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 138 times

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by tysteve20 » January 15th, 2021, 11:14 am

I’ll admit I am very biased because he’s an Aggie. But if any local boy, ie a brenchly or falslev were to make it to the nba I wouldnt care where they went to school, I would wanna hear from them. Sam is from bountiful and a Utah HS state champ. You’d think people from his hometown would want to hear about him.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
Mr. Sneelock
Posts: 5629
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:09 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 314 times

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 15th, 2021, 11:18 am

NVAggie wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 10:59 am
Kind of like the Jimmer stuff right? I don't remember hearing much about Jimmer after his BYU days. He wasn't drafted by the Jazz. Well, besides when he got married, when he had a baby, when he switched teams 10 times, when he went to China to play. Other than that, I never heard about him after those BYU days.
I can't stand the continued Jimmer love among the Utah media. It drives me insane.

But let's look at this objectively. Jimmer was a MUCH bigger deal in college than Sam Merrill was. He was a top 10 draft pick. Jimmer mania was nuts, and it wasn't just here. Not only that, but among 1280 the Zone listeners, Deseret News readers, etc., we are probably outnumbered 10-1 by BYU fans who all had stiffies for Jimmer. And when the Deseret News runs a story about Jimmer, for whatever reason it gets clicks. So they keep doing it.

Just look at the KSL articles on the two games last night. They are about the same as far as length and content, but the BYU article has 40 comments, while ours has 6. I would wager that raw click numbers are probably an even wider margin than that.
BYU just simply drives a lot more interest than we do.

Sorry, but 1280 the Zone is a business enterprise. They cater to their customers. And Sam Merrill just doesn't move the needle much among their customers. It is just the way it is. They don't have some sinister bias against us. It is just that if they start talking about Sam Merrill with the Buck's play-by-play guy, and 90% of their listeners' eyes will glaze over. Sam was not a factor in that game, and was never going to be. I mean, sure, it would have been nice to at least mention him, but I really don't see this as a huge deal.


Formerly TulsAGGIE

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 17757
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 893 times
Been thanked: 914 times

Re: Dump 1280!

Post by NVAggie » January 15th, 2021, 12:14 pm

News a business?

I agree with your comments completely
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Mr. Sneelock



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic