And Wyoming Just Won

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 9286
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2418 times
Been thanked: 759 times

And Wyoming Just Won

Post by USU78 » January 2nd, 2021, 7:11 pm

in Fresno.


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1614
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 346 times

Re: And Wyoming Just Won

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 2nd, 2021, 7:20 pm

Wyoming is a great story so far. Linder really has them believing. They could very well finish in the top half of the league.



slcagg
Posts: 6366
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1361 times
Been thanked: 1083 times

Re: And Wyoming Just Won

Post by slcagg » January 2nd, 2021, 7:23 pm

I’d be surprised if they don’t end up about the 5-6 seed.



Aggie84025
Posts: 3091
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1046 times

Re: And Wyoming Just Won

Post by Aggie84025 » January 2nd, 2021, 8:47 pm

They are playing well. The coach is going to get them turned around real quick.



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1614
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 346 times

Re: And Wyoming Just Won

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 2nd, 2021, 8:54 pm

They had some nice pieces with Maldonado, Marble, Thompson, and Foster but they’ve had some other players step up. They’ve always had some talent but never had much of an identity or system under Edward. Linder is a much better coach though and it’ll be interesting if they can build some success. The Wyoming teams of 10-15 years ago were fun to watch when they made it to the tourney regularly.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 4463
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 343 times
Been thanked: 780 times

Re: And Wyoming Just Won

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 2nd, 2021, 8:56 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 8:54 pm
They had some nice pieces with Maldonado, Marble, Thompson, and Foster but they’ve had some other players step up. They’ve always had some talent but never had much of an identity or system under Edward. Linder is a much better coach though and it’ll be interesting if they can build some success. The Wyoming teams of 10-15 years ago were fun to watch when they made it to the tourney regularly.
Wyoming has only been to the tournament twice since the 80's. Other than here and there they have been down for a while. Linder is a good coach. Unlike unlv, they made the right hire.



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1614
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 346 times

Re: And Wyoming Just Won

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 2nd, 2021, 9:27 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 8:54 pm
They had some nice pieces with Maldonado, Marble, Thompson, and Foster but they’ve had some other players step up. They’ve always had some talent but never had much of an identity or system under Edward. Linder is a much better coach though and it’ll be interesting if they can build some success. The Wyoming teams of 10-15 years ago were fun to watch when they made it to the tourney regularly.
Wyoming has only been to the tournament twice since the 80's. Other than here and there they have been down for a while. Linder is a good coach. Unlike unlv, they made the right hire.
Yeah you are right. The season I was thinking of was 2002 when they pulled the upset and beat Gonzaga in the first round and then gave a top ten Zona team a scare. I think they were pretty good for a few years there though they only went dancing once. They did win the National title once or twice back in the 30’s or 40’s I believe.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface
Posts: 16084
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 621 times
Been thanked: 1219 times

Re: And Wyoming Just Won

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 4th, 2021, 1:04 pm

I love Linder chocolates



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 4463
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 343 times
Been thanked: 780 times

Re: And Wyoming Just Won

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 4th, 2021, 1:14 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 9:27 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 8:54 pm
They had some nice pieces with Maldonado, Marble, Thompson, and Foster but they’ve had some other players step up. They’ve always had some talent but never had much of an identity or system under Edward. Linder is a much better coach though and it’ll be interesting if they can build some success. The Wyoming teams of 10-15 years ago were fun to watch when they made it to the tourney regularly.
Wyoming has only been to the tournament twice since the 80's. Other than here and there they have been down for a while. Linder is a good coach. Unlike unlv, they made the right hire.
Yeah you are right. The season I was thinking of was 2002 when they pulled the upset and beat Gonzaga in the first round and then gave a top ten Zona team a scare. I think they were pretty good for a few years there though they only went dancing once. They did win the National title once or twice back in the 30’s or 40’s I believe.
Yeah they had some great teams in the 80's and they do have some good teams here and there like that 02 team. It is hard to win in Laramie, but sometimes they put it together.



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 17733
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 888 times
Been thanked: 913 times

Re: And Wyoming Just Won

Post by NVAggie » January 4th, 2021, 1:20 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 1:04 pm
I love Linder chocolates
Lindor chocolates. Just like our current coach.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10687
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6615 times
Been thanked: 4072 times
Contact:

Re: And Wyoming Just Won

Post by aggies22 » January 4th, 2021, 6:03 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 8:56 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 8:54 pm
They had some nice pieces with Maldonado, Marble, Thompson, and Foster but they’ve had some other players step up. They’ve always had some talent but never had much of an identity or system under Edward. Linder is a much better coach though and it’ll be interesting if they can build some success. The Wyoming teams of 10-15 years ago were fun to watch when they made it to the tourney regularly.
Wyoming has only been to the tournament twice since the 80's. Other than here and there they have been down for a while. Linder is a good coach. Unlike unlv, they made the right hire.
Good ol' Eric Leckner.



utaggies
Posts: 5296
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:25 pm
Has thanked: 173 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: And Wyoming Just Won

Post by utaggies » January 4th, 2021, 6:36 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 6:03 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 8:56 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 8:54 pm
They had some nice pieces with Maldonado, Marble, Thompson, and Foster but they’ve had some other players step up. They’ve always had some talent but never had much of an identity or system under Edward. Linder is a much better coach though and it’ll be interesting if they can build some success. The Wyoming teams of 10-15 years ago were fun to watch when they made it to the tourney regularly.
Wyoming has only been to the tournament twice since the 80's. Other than here and there they have been down for a while. Linder is a good coach. Unlike unlv, they made the right hire.
Good ol' Eric Leckner.
And Fennis Dembo.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post:
aggies22



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10687
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6615 times
Been thanked: 4072 times
Contact:

Re: And Wyoming Just Won

Post by aggies22 » January 4th, 2021, 6:39 pm

utaggies wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 6:36 pm
aggies22 wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 6:03 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 8:56 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 8:54 pm
They had some nice pieces with Maldonado, Marble, Thompson, and Foster but they’ve had some other players step up. They’ve always had some talent but never had much of an identity or system under Edward. Linder is a much better coach though and it’ll be interesting if they can build some success. The Wyoming teams of 10-15 years ago were fun to watch when they made it to the tourney regularly.
Wyoming has only been to the tournament twice since the 80's. Other than here and there they have been down for a while. Linder is a good coach. Unlike unlv, they made the right hire.
Good ol' Eric Leckner.
And Fennis Dembo.
Nice!! Haha!



SectionBAggie
Posts: 1282
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 9:04 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: And Wyoming Just Won

Post by SectionBAggie » January 4th, 2021, 8:48 pm

They had a run of NBA players in the 80s in addition to those listed. Theo Ratliff, Bill Garnett and “Tub” Bradley to name a few.
My favorite Cowboy though was their version of Jaycee Carroll. Marcus Bailey was an in-state kid who was LDS but loathed BYU. Every success that he had (and he was really good) drove the cougars nuts.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 4463
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 343 times
Been thanked: 780 times

Re: And Wyoming Just Won

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 4th, 2021, 11:18 pm

And Wyoming just lost by 20 to a mediocre Fresno team. Fine by me. I don't want any good MW team this year. I just want to win the league.



Elkaggie
Posts: 4151
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: And Wyoming Just Won

Post by Elkaggie » January 5th, 2021, 9:09 pm

utaggies wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 6:36 pm
aggies22 wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 6:03 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 8:56 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 8:54 pm
They had some nice pieces with Maldonado, Marble, Thompson, and Foster but they’ve had some other players step up. They’ve always had some talent but never had much of an identity or system under Edward. Linder is a much better coach though and it’ll be interesting if they can build some success. The Wyoming teams of 10-15 years ago were fun to watch when they made it to the tourney regularly.
Wyoming has only been to the tournament twice since the 80's. Other than here and there they have been down for a while. Linder is a good coach. Unlike unlv, they made the right hire.
Good ol' Eric Leckner.
And Fennis Dembo.
And Reggie Fox and some Sommers kid that shut down Reggie Miller and beat UCLA in first round of NCAA tourney (I think) I was there is SLC .



utaggies
Posts: 5296
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:25 pm
Has thanked: 173 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: And Wyoming Just Won

Post by utaggies » January 5th, 2021, 9:59 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 9:09 pm
utaggies wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 6:36 pm
aggies22 wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 6:03 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 8:56 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 8:54 pm
They had some nice pieces with Maldonado, Marble, Thompson, and Foster but they’ve had some other players step up. They’ve always had some talent but never had much of an identity or system under Edward. Linder is a much better coach though and it’ll be interesting if they can build some success. The Wyoming teams of 10-15 years ago were fun to watch when they made it to the tourney regularly.
Wyoming has only been to the tournament twice since the 80's. Other than here and there they have been down for a while. Linder is a good coach. Unlike unlv, they made the right hire.
Good ol' Eric Leckner.
And Fennis Dembo.
And Reggie Fox and some Sommers kid that shut down Reggie Miller and beat UCLA in first round of NCAA tourney (I think) I was there is SLC .
I was there, too. Without looking I cannot remember who Wyoming’s second round opponent was. My recollection is that they got whipped rather soundly (was it North Carolina?). Boy howdy, I have never seen a hostile crowd at a basketball game like the one I witnessed that night. There were some very pissed Wyoming fans and a lot of ‘em. One-half of Laramie must have come down for the game.



utaggies
Posts: 5296
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:25 pm
Has thanked: 173 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: And Wyoming Just Won

Post by utaggies » January 5th, 2021, 10:12 pm

utaggies wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 9:59 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 9:09 pm
utaggies wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 6:36 pm
aggies22 wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 6:03 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 8:56 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 8:54 pm
They had some nice pieces with Maldonado, Marble, Thompson, and Foster but they’ve had some other players step up. They’ve always had some talent but never had much of an identity or system under Edward. Linder is a much better coach though and it’ll be interesting if they can build some success. The Wyoming teams of 10-15 years ago were fun to watch when they made it to the tourney regularly.
Wyoming has only been to the tournament twice since the 80's. Other than here and there they have been down for a while. Linder is a good coach. Unlike unlv, they made the right hire.
Good ol' Eric Leckner.
And Fennis Dembo.
And Reggie Fox and some Sommers kid that shut down Reggie Miller and beat UCLA in first round of NCAA tourney (I think) I was there is SLC .
I was there, too. Without looking I cannot remember who Wyoming’s second round opponent was. My recollection is that they got whipped rather soundly (was it North Carolina?). Boy howdy, I have never seen a hostile crowd at a basketball game like the one I witnessed that night. There were some very pissed Wyoming fans and a lot of ‘em. One-half of Laramie must have come down for the game.
Upon some searching it was the 1987-88 season, when Dembo and Lechner were seniors, that Wyoming played in SLC and was beated by Loyola-Marymount in the first round (119-115), which team had Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble. North Carolina beat Loyola Marymount in the 2nd round.

Wyoming beat UCLA in the 1987 tourney.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic