Recap (vs UNCO)

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

Recap (vs UNCO)

Post by SLB » December 18th, 2020, 9:17 pm

First off, I know that there are folks that have some weird beef against Craig Smith and hide in the shadows when we do well, and they are making this board look bad.
We have freshmen with the COVID offseason and COVID pause which made it tough. UNCO played their heart out, and our defense was too great. Rollie and Ashworth are just improving with every game, and Ashworth made some great plays in 10 minutes. Brock Miller was the hidden gem in this game, and Miller looks like that he could shadow at the 4 which caught me by surprise. Miller is the most improved player and deserves praise, and Miller should be the back-up to Bean. Dorius held his own, and Zapala is raw with real talent and skill (Zapala needs to improve that free throw shooting and his shooting form). Shula is improving. Bean was great. Anthony and Queta held their own, but we need them to improve their game.
Our defense has flashes when we really put the pressure on that look like those San Diego State defenses with Steve Fisher. We should try more full court press defense.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
bluegrouse

Aggie84025

Re: Recap

Post by Aggie84025 » December 18th, 2020, 9:27 pm

I agree, I thought the defense was really good tonight. Miller played really well on Hume. We need to be better on offense. I am confident and hopeful that we will get it figured out. I trust coach Smith will get it figured out. He has figured it out the last 2 years.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » December 18th, 2020, 9:29 pm

Actually the guy I was impressed with tonight was Dorius. He's already a lot better than I thought he ever would be. If he keeps improving he's going to be a good guy to have around for the next few years. Maybe not a starter, but a solid backup.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post (total 2):
bluegrousesam tingey

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » December 18th, 2020, 9:30 pm

SLB wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 9:17 pm
First off, I know that there are folks that have some weird beef against Craig Smith and hide in the shadows when we do well, and they are making this board look bad.
We have freshmen with the COVID offseason and COVID pause which made it tough. UNCO played their heart out, and our defense was too great. Rollie and Ashworth are just improving with every game, and Ashworth made some great plays in 10 minutes. Brock Miller was the hidden gem in this game, and Miller looks like that he could shadow at the 4 which caught me by surprise. Miller is the most improved player and deserves praise, and Miller should be the back-up to Bean. Dorius held his own, and Zapala is raw with real talent and skill (Zapala needs to improve that free throw shooting and his shooting form). Shula is improving. Bean was great. Anthony and Queta held their own, but we need them to improve their game.
Our defense has flashes when we really put the pressure on that look like those San Diego State defenses with Steve Fisher. We should try more full court press defense.
While I don't agree with all your statements, we have a young team, with a great coach, and it's a tough year. All these people complaining about Coach Smith are off their rockers.

usu99

Post by usu99 » December 18th, 2020, 9:31 pm

I forgot we were playing, that is how much enthusiasm I have for this year. Queta has a been a huge let down as well as Bean. The best front court in the MW is middle of the pack so far.

For all of your IT needs visit http://www.sidelogic.com

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 18th, 2020, 9:32 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 9:29 pm
Actually the guy I was impressed with tonight was Dorius. He's already a lot better than I thought he ever would be. If he keeps improving he's going to be a good guy to have around for the next few years. Maybe not a starter, but a solid backup.
He was awesome when Queta went out with his fourth foul. He is very strong and athletic for his size. His defense is really good. Still has a ways to go to be effective on the offensive end. If he continues to progress he will be a solid back up the next few years.

AggieFanNate

Post by AggieFanNate » December 18th, 2020, 9:50 pm

usu99 wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 9:31 pm
I forgot we were playing, that is how much enthusiasm I have for this year. Queta has a been a huge let down as well as Bean. The best front court in the MW is middle of the pack so far.
Wow haha you sound like a great fan.
These users thanked the author AggieFanNate for the post (total 3):
aggies95bluegrouseReal Life Aggie

aggies95

Post by aggies95 » December 18th, 2020, 10:38 pm

usu99 wrote:
Crazy how fast enthusiasm can die after winning back to back conference championships in a conference we hadn’t sniffed a championship in before Queta, Bean, and Smith arrived. Hard for our frontcourt to dominate when our new guards are jacking up 20 shots in a game.
These users thanked the author aggies95 for the post (total 2):
bluegrouseMrBiggle

AggieFanNate

Post by AggieFanNate » December 18th, 2020, 11:03 pm

aggies95 wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 10:38 pm
usu99 wrote:
Crazy how fast enthusiasm can die after winning back to back conference championships in a conference we hadn’t sniffed a championship in before Queta, Bean, and Smith arrived. Hard for our frontcourt to dominate when our new guards are jacking up 20 shots in a game.
I think we are gonna get there. I'm still really into this season. Yea we have some serious growing pains but we will get there for sure.
These users thanked the author AggieFanNate for the post:
aggies95

aggies95

Post by aggies95 » December 18th, 2020, 11:11 pm

AggieFanNate wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 11:03 pm
aggies95 wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 10:38 pm
usu99 wrote:
I think we are gonna get there. I'm still really into this season. Yea we have some serious growing pains but we will get there for sure.
Backcourt is definitely inexperienced and has a lot of room to improve as far as facilitating goes. Marco and Rollie are both natural scorers. Facilitating is secondary, especially for Marco. Hopefully as they get more experience and the game slows down they will pick and choose when to attack and when to set up a teammate. I agree, they will get there. A staple of Aggie basketball has been ball movement and assists (top 10 nationally the last 2 years). Gotta get back to that brand of ball on offense.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score

Post by QuackAttackAggie » December 18th, 2020, 11:18 pm

usu99 wrote:I forgot we were playing, that is how much enthusiasm I have for this year. Queta has a been a huge let down as well as Bean. The best front court in the MW is middle of the pack so far.
At the rate Queta is going, Sam might average more points this season than Queta will score total in the NBA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 19th, 2020, 12:54 am

It was a good win. Love the energy on defense. Offensively we continue to be a bit of a mess. I’ve said it a million times, but we’re going to need to find ways to have more shooting on the floor. Biggest things that are fixable are Rollie having the confidence to shoot more threes, and Ashworth making himself playable enough on defense to play more on offense.

We also need Brock to keep making big shots like the one he did tonight.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » December 19th, 2020, 9:33 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 12:54 am
It was a good win. Love the energy on defense. Offensively we continue to be a bit of a mess. I’ve said it a million times, but we’re going to need to find ways to have more shooting on the floor. Biggest things that are fixable are Rollie having the confidence to shoot more threes, and Ashworth making himself playable enough on defense to play more on offense.

My favorite lineup is Ashworth, Worster, Bairstow, Bean, and Quetta. We started to pull away with this lineup in the second half. They weren’t in for too long together, but IMO they started creating the gap.
These users thanked the author nswaggie for the post:
SLB

SLB

Post by SLB » December 19th, 2020, 9:38 am

nswaggie wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 9:33 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

My favorite lineup is Ashworth, Worster, Bairstow, Bean, and Quetta. We started to pull away with this lineup in the second half. They weren’t in for too long together, but IMO they started creating the gap.
Funny that you mention this since I feel that someone might have mentioned this in the past.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score

Re: Recap (vs UNCO)

Post by QuackAttackAggie » December 19th, 2020, 9:45 am

nswaggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

My favorite lineup is just worster five times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
Real Life Aggie

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » December 19th, 2020, 10:22 am

SLB wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 9:38 am
nswaggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Funny that you mention this since I feel that someone might have mentioned this in the past.
Yep I wasn’t the first to recognize this lineup. I just completely agree and started taking note when I see this lineup in. My apologies I should have referenced that it had been previously recognized by others.

SLB

Post by SLB » December 19th, 2020, 10:26 am

nswaggie wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 10:22 am
SLB wrote:
nswaggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Yep I wasn’t the first to recognize this lineup. I just completely agree and started taking note when I see this lineup in. My apologies I should have referenced that it had been previously recognized by others.
I was being silly, and I am glad that you joined the team of Bairstow, Ashworth, and Worster, Bean, and Queta lineup.
I felt when I made that thread that I was having flashbacks of my Bean thread.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
nswaggie

SweepDance

Post by SweepDance » December 19th, 2020, 10:32 am

Hey, you know what? We should try a line up of Bean, Ashworth, Queta, Bairstow and Bean. I think they could be good together!

Joking aside, I feel like this was exactly the tune up game the Aggies needed. They looked like a team that hadn't played in two weeks during the first half and even trailed early in the second. Once they were able to shake the rust off they actually looked like a pretty good team. Hopefully they can keep this momentum going into next week!

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » December 19th, 2020, 1:31 pm

SweepDance wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 10:32 am
Hey, you know what? We should try a line up of Bean, Ashworth, Queta, Bairstow and Bean. I think they could be good together!

Joking aside, I feel like this was exactly the tune up game the Aggies needed. They looked like a team that hadn't played in two weeks during the first half and even trailed early in the second. Once they were able to shake the rust off they actually looked like a pretty good team. Hopefully they can keep this momentum going into next week!
Are you suggesting we clone Bean?

SweepDance

Post by SweepDance » December 19th, 2020, 2:56 pm

Pacobag wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 1:31 pm
SweepDance wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 10:32 am

Are you suggesting we clone Bean?
Apparently. I tried to be clever and mix up the order but I guess that was too hard for me. :noidea:

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » December 19th, 2020, 2:57 pm

SLB wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 10:26 am
nswaggie wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 10:22 am
SLB wrote:
nswaggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

I was being silly, and I am glad that you joined the team of Bairstow, Ashworth, and Worster, Bean, and Queta lineup.
I felt when I made that thread that I was having flashbacks of my Bean thread.
Ya I figured you were just giving me a hard time. I do think that lineup really works well for whatever reason. When smith put it in during the second half I was almost like finally! Then after just a couple minutes Smith swapped out part of the lineup. I really wanted to see that lineup marinate.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 19th, 2020, 3:21 pm

nswaggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

What in your mind does Bairstow contribute? He has potential, but slow developing. So for now I prefer to see Brock Miller in that spot. Miller plays better defense, is much better so far this year on his shot selection, and hits more 3 pt shots than Sean. Miller was not good on defense last year. This year he is really good on defense.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 19th, 2020, 3:40 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 3:21 pm
nswaggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

What in your mind does Bairstow contribute? He has potential, but slow developing. So for now I prefer to see Brock Miller in that spot. Miller plays better defense, is much better so far this year on his shot selection, and hits more 3 pt shots than Sean. Miller was not good on defense last year. This year he is really good on defense.
I’m trying to figure out why Anthony isn’t included here.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » December 19th, 2020, 5:47 pm

slcagg wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 3:40 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 3:21 pm
nswaggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

I’m trying to figure out why Anthony isn’t included here.
So if I’m choosing our best 5 players it is a different discussion and Anthony is certainly included. All I am saying is that some of us have noticed that for whatever reason this lineup seems to be successful and it makes me want to see it more. It may be fools gold or there could be something there. I’d like to see that lineup more often. IMO Ashworth brings a shooting threat and his defensive liability can be masked for short stretches, though I also think some are being to harsh on his defense. I think Bairstow brings more length defensively and he plays much better at the 3 then at the 2. He is able to spot up and better pick and choose when to drive it in. Again I’m not trying to say Bairstow is better then Miller, though in my mind there is not much gap either way comparing them at the 3 spot.
To your point about Anthony last night when this lineup was in and created a small lead Anthony then came in for Worster and kept it going with the other 4.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 20th, 2020, 7:13 am

I like Anthony a lot. I agree he is one of our best 5 players. But if Bean and Queta are on the floor together, we really need guys that can hit 3s at the other three spots. I’d also be interested in a Queta, Anderson, Worster, Ashworth and Anthony lineup, at least offensively (that lineup likely gets cooked defensively).

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » December 20th, 2020, 9:43 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 20th, 2020, 7:13 am
I like Anthony a lot. I agree he is one of our best 5 players. But if Bean and Queta are on the floor together, we really need guys that can hit 3s at the other three spots. I’d also be interested in a Queta, Anderson, Worster, Ashworth and Anthony lineup, at least offensively (that lineup likely gets cooked defensively).
I can see why they had Bean working on his 3pt shot over the summer. If he could start hitting them at even a 30 percent clip that would really help this team. It seems he has stopped taking them for the most part. I know we want him inside for the most part, but if he could hit a three on occasion it makes it a lot easier to cut to the basket and also opens things up for Quetta to go to work.

You really need 4 guys on the floor that are atleast a threat to hit a 3. With Quetta on the floor that means everyone else.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 20th, 2020, 9:51 am

nswaggie wrote:
December 20th, 2020, 9:43 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
I can see why they had Bean working on his 3pt shot over the summer. If he could start hitting them at even a 30 percent clip that would really help this team. It seems he has stopped taking them for the most part. I know we want him inside for the most part, but if he could hit a three on occasion it makes it a lot easier to cut to the basket and also opens things up for Quetta to go to work.

You really need 4 guys on the floor that are atleast a threat to hit a 3. With Quetta on the floor that means everyone else.
Unless Liam McChesney can play, I don’t think we have the pieces to put 4 shooters on the floor and defend all 5 positions.

We’re a good defensive team that plays very tough and hard, but limited offensively. That’s fine, and it is what it is.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » December 20th, 2020, 10:17 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 20th, 2020, 9:51 am
nswaggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Unless Liam McChesney can play, I don’t think we have the pieces to put 4 shooters on the floor and defend all 5 positions.

We’re a good defensive team that plays very tough and hard, but limited offensively. That’s fine, and it is what it is.
Ya I understand most coaches are going to place a priority on defense in order for a player to get playing time. I’ve seen Smith pull guys pretty quickly for a defensive lapse and I have no problem with that.

If we can somehow find a way to get better offensively we could be pretty good. If nothing else it will be interesting to see how things play out this season. I hope we don’t have a large exodus at seasons end, I like some of the guys that aren’t getting a lot of playing time. My guess is the reason McChesney isn’t playing is he hasn’t shown enough defensively in practice, but that is just my guess based on how good he is supposed to be offensively.
On a side note it was interesting to see Zapala get meaningful minutes in the first half. I’m pretty sure Dorius replaced him after a defensive mental lapse.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 20th, 2020, 10:21 am

It is clear to me that this team in order to be successful it is going to have to pride itself on defense. I dont see us outshooting many teams, i hope to be proven wrong. I am guessing we can finish 4th or 5th, but could go higher if we can get more consistent shooting.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 20th, 2020, 10:28 am

nswaggie wrote:
December 20th, 2020, 10:17 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
nswaggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Ya I understand most coaches are going to place a priority on defense in order for a player to get playing time. I’ve seen Smith pull guys pretty quickly for a defensive lapse and I have no problem with that.

If we can somehow find a way to get better offensively we could be pretty good. If nothing else it will be interesting to see how things play out this season. I hope we don’t have a large exodus at seasons end, I like some of the guys that aren’t getting a lot of playing time. My guess is the reason McChesney isn’t playing is he hasn’t shown enough defensively in practice, but that is just my guess based on how good he is supposed to be offensively.
On a side note it was interesting to see Zapala get meaningful minutes in the first half. I’m pretty sure Dorius replaced him after a defensive mental lapse.
McChesney needs to put on at least 20 pounds to play D1 basketball.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » December 20th, 2020, 3:09 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 20th, 2020, 10:28 am
nswaggie wrote:
December 20th, 2020, 10:17 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
nswaggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

McChesney needs to put on at least 20 pounds to weigh as much as a D1 basketball.
FIFY
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0NVAggie

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic