Jon Rothstein "under-the-radar" articles

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
I am an Aggie Man

Jon Rothstein "under-the-radar" articles

Post by I am an Aggie Man » November 9th, 2020, 1:41 pm

Lots of love coming from Jon in his articles for our guys. I know some of these have popped up in other threads, or generated their own thread, but I wanted to compile them.

Syzmon Zapala: 20 under-the-radar freshmen
"Two years after landing Neemias Queta, Craig Smith will bring this 6-11 prospect from Poland to Logan. Armed with good size at 240 pounds, Zapala helped the Polish national team reach the finals of the 2019 FIBA U18 European Championships."

Alphonso Anderson: 20 under-the-radar breakout players
"There’s two words to describe this guy: bucket getter. Anderson averaged 12.5 points last season in games where he logged 20 minutes or more. Remember the name."

Marco Anthony: 20 under-the-radar transfers
"The 6-5 Anthony never got consistent minutes in two years at Virginia. That will change in Logan. With Sam Merrill no longer around to anchor Utah State’s back court, look for Craig Smith to turn to Anthony as the Aggies attempt to remain at the top of the Mountain West."

Justin Bean - The 10 least appreciated players in college
"This 6-7 power forward tallied a whopping 16 double-doubles in 34 games last season en route to averaging 11.9 points and 10.5 rebounds. If there’s a 50-50 play, there’s a good chance that Bean is going to be on the winning end. Don’t be shocked if he’s a first-team all-conference player at the end of the upcoming season."

Seems like the whole team is under-rated at this point.
These users thanked the author I am an Aggie Man for the post (total 9):
slcaggbswaggieflying_scotsman2.0Real Life AggieRoy McAvoyaggieguy13aggies22Fullineptimusprime

It'sSaturdayNight
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Jon Rothstein "under-the-radar" articles

Post by It'sSaturdayNight » November 9th, 2020, 3:12 pm

Underrated is right. Especially considering the AP preseason poll came out and there isn't a single vote cast our way. I think its for the best. Our guys play best when no one expects them to (No. 9 in the conference preseason poll two years back).

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 9th, 2020, 3:23 pm

We've got some great pieces for the puzzle. We'll see how quickly they develop and grow as a team, but there's a lot of talent here.

I think we rightfully did not receive any votes. We lost Sam Merrill, and our team is unproven and very young.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
IdaAg93

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » November 9th, 2020, 8:28 pm

Really excited to see when and how this team develops. It's only a matter of time before they will with Craig Smith at the helm.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 9th, 2020, 8:40 pm

IdaAg93 wrote:
November 9th, 2020, 8:28 pm
Really excited to see when and how this team develops. It's only a matter of time before they will with Craig Smith at the helm.
Have you heard anything about practices?

NewUSUfan

Post by NewUSUfan » November 10th, 2020, 7:55 am

I talked to some guys in the program. The lack of love in the polls has been noticed. The bulletin board material is piling up and is being used heavily. With the lack of experience in the backcourt in the "era of the guard", it is understandable. If things continue to gel the way they are in practice this team could be a dangerous one. Obviously, there will be ups and downs but man it will be a fun ride.
These users thanked the author NewUSUfan for the post (total 6):
flying_scotsman2.0Real Life AggieFullRoy McAvoyslcaggAggieFBObsession

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 10th, 2020, 11:41 am

NewUSUfan wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 7:55 am
I talked to some guys in the program. The lack of love in the polls has been noticed. The bulletin board material is piling up and is being used heavily. With the lack of experience in the backcourt in the "era of the guard", it is understandable. If things continue to gel the way they are in practice this team could be a dangerous one. Obviously, there will be ups and downs but man it will be a fun ride.
We still bairstow and Rollie push for starting spots?

Man I can’t believe the lack of media for a back to back championship team leading into the season.

stang

Post by stang » November 10th, 2020, 12:24 pm

This team is going to be really, really good. I get the lack of media attention because we lose one of the best players in program history and have a lot of "unknowns", but the upside of this team is ridiculous. Winning the conference is going to be extremely tough, but I think we're in contention for it. Then next year? Hoooo boy.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » November 10th, 2020, 1:25 pm

stang wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 12:24 pm
This team is going to be really, really good. I get the lack of media attention because we lose one of the best players in program history and have a lot of "unknowns", but the upside of this team is ridiculous. Winning the conference is going to be extremely tough, but I think we're in contention for it. Then next year? Hoooo boy.
Yeah, this has been my feeling as well. We have the chance to be good this year with the potential of having a really special season next year, especially if Queta comes back.

Speaking of this season specifically, if you were on the playground picking teams for this season only, who do you pick with the first selection? I see so may MWC lists having Mitchell as the top player in the league. Is that who you pick?

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » November 10th, 2020, 1:34 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 1:25 pm
stang wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 12:24 pm
Yeah, this has been my feeling as well. We have the chance to be good this year with the potential of having a really special season next year, especially if Queta comes back.

Speaking of this season specifically, if you were on the playground picking teams for this season only, who do you pick with the first selection? I see so may MWC lists having Mitchell as the top player in the league. Is that who you pick?
Queta

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 10th, 2020, 2:59 pm

Some of you guys are super hyped up right now, which is great. Just remember that we're going to have some missteps early on. If we fall apart in the first game or two, the season isn't doomed.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

NewUSUfan

Post by NewUSUfan » November 11th, 2020, 8:56 am

slcagg wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 11:41 am
NewUSUfan wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 7:55 am
We still bairstow and Rollie push for starting spots?

Man I can’t believe the lack of media for a back to back championship team leading into the season.
Yes and totally agree.
These users thanked the author NewUSUfan for the post:
slcagg

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 11th, 2020, 8:44 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 2:59 pm
Some of you guys are super hyped up right now, which is great. Just remember that we're going to have some missteps early on. If we fall apart in the first game or two, the season isn't doomed.
27-0, Dude. Deal with it. :lol:

It’ll likely take a bit for the guards to come together, but we should be very dangerous by the season’s end.

Anyone have any practice updates?

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » November 11th, 2020, 9:53 pm

I’m a little worried about us being lost the first couple games without Sam but they’ll figure it out eventually. I think we beat Wichita but lose to Creighton. Then lose 1 or 2 the rest of the non-con against Provo, Miss St., St Mary’s, Weber, Dixie,.... I think 15-5 in conference is realistic.

dogie

Post by dogie » November 12th, 2020, 1:33 am

How is Justin Bean among the ten least appreciated players in the country? There are at least ten players less appreciated than Bean on the Aggie team.

slcagg

Re: Jon Rothstein

Post by slcagg » November 12th, 2020, 5:20 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 9:53 pm
I’m a little worried about us being lost the first couple games without Sam but they’ll figure it out eventually. I think we beat Wichita but lose to Creighton. Then lose 1 or 2 the rest of the non-con against Provo, Miss St., St Mary’s, Weber, Dixie,.... I think 15-5 in conference is realistic.
The great thing about this tournament is if we win the first game we will likely face two highly rated teams in creighton and even if we lose that game we would play the loser of the other semifinal game which could be say Ohio state/Memphis.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic