New basketball venue for usu

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
2004AG

Re: New basketball venue for usu

Post by 2004AG » August 26th, 2020, 4:30 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 4:26 pm
If we had a venue like Weber's or the Huntsman (or the AA in Laramie, all of which are very similar) would we have the same environment as we do today?
No. Domes suck
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggieAggiePT

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 26th, 2020, 4:35 pm

No we would not have the same environment as we have today it would have better access, more room better concessions, parking, concourse etc. and produce more revenue.

If you mean as loud I do not know what it would have in that area.

I believe the Spectrum is a old ugly building, which has no comfort for fans and very limited revenue.possibilties

If we had the Dee with blue seating it would a major upgrade.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » August 26th, 2020, 4:39 pm

I'd love to see it rebuilt with the same configuration, seats close to the court but with more seating space per seat. Larger concourses and bathrooms and concessions. I don't care much for suites and such with basketball. I like it for football, but for BBall I like being down close to the action. Keep it loud, but make the in-seat experience more comfortable and the out-of-seat experience MUCH better!

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » August 26th, 2020, 4:42 pm

I must be in the minority I don't like the Huntsman Center at all. It most likely is better for events but watching a game there is bad. I'd rather stay home than have the Huntsman Center.

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » August 26th, 2020, 4:42 pm

I don't like any of the flying saucer arenas. They are very stale.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
AggiePT

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » August 26th, 2020, 4:54 pm

The Spectrum definitely has it's flaws but so do the Huntsman Center and Dee Events Center. Both of those venues take you further from the court and the building's don't get near as loud (which is mostly due to the designs of the buildings). They may be a bit more comfortable but I can't say that I'd rather attend a game at either venue. A good balance needs to be found between comfort and atmosphere and if it still isn't comfortable enough for you then invest in a large TV and watch from your couch. The last thing we need is a large sterile building killing the atmosphere that made USU Basketball what it is today. The Spectrum is a major reason that I am a Utah State fan.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 5):
Real Life AggiecdaAgaggieguy13AggiePTutaggies

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 26th, 2020, 6:08 pm

When you have a arena with no room between rows and between seats that does get you closer to the floor. When you have 4,500 students at a game it also makes it louder. If the Spectrum made you a fan that is wonderful.

The building can and will be changed or replaced in the future and several of the things that make the Spectrum loud and cramped will change. Revenue options will, and must improve.

I see nothing about that building that I like, however it can have a loud crowd mostly do to the students that attend. I do not like the building at all, if others do that is fine. I had tickets to that place for many years and many times stood in the tunnel or that the top of the arena to watch games I could not stand to sit in those court side seats, and at over $1,000 per seat they were not worth it at all. Building suites in that arena could bring in a million per year. I will not buy a suite, but I sure as hell would give a pretty penny for more comfortable quality seating, and parking

A 12,000 seat flat room arena with 3-4,000 student seats, can be a loud and difficult place to play in, change is coming and is badly needed.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » August 26th, 2020, 6:37 pm

One of the primary changes we need is to sell out our arena. It's hard for me to see an arena with more seats than we have when we rarely have sellouts, even with a championship team. Same issue with football. Ugh.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
AggiePT

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 26th, 2020, 6:55 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 4:07 pm
Let me make one more point it is true the the Y and U have made improvements from the original building for several million, but the Spectrum rebuild or a new arena will come with a huge price ticket. There have been some improvement to the old girl the west side entrance was added.

If we had done it right we would be looking at a very different thing. That Weber st. built a better venue than USU is very galling to me..
Or.......one could also look at it and say USU has gotten 50+ years out a venue that only cost 3M to build. That's pretty damn efficient which is one of the defining qualities of the entire USU athletic program. USU hoops has delivered a quality product with numerous championships in every league we've been a part of all while playing in a venue that has been serviceable. That same serviceable venue has earned a reputation that exceeds the other Utah college venues that you perceive as "better" based on the student section that has occupied it and provided the atmosphere.

The major reason a new build or remodel will be costly is tied to the cost of construction in today's world, not some poor decision made 50 years ago. All structures, especially public sports venues, are built with a life expectancy in mind. This also shouldn't be looked at any differently than the numerous academic buildings on campus that have been deemed outdated and as a result have been demolished and replaced with new and improved facilities over the past 3 decades. Have you seen campus lately? It's hardly recognizable compared to what campus even looked like in 2000. The campus is ever evolving as it should be; to provide the best to those it serves.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 6):
Real Life AggieUSU78Roy McAvoyaggieguy13mcaggie1treesap32

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 26th, 2020, 10:14 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
If we had done it right we would be looking at a very different thing. That Weber st. built a better venue than USU is very galling to me..
Take a step back and realize what an absurd critique you just made. You’re so blinded by your constant negativity towards usu on here that you don’t even realize it.

You’re saying Weber State did things right and USU did things wrong. Well, let’s look at where each school and their respective basketball programs are at. That tells me everything I need to know about USU’s past decisions vs. Weber’s.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
BustaMcNutt

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » August 27th, 2020, 10:12 am

Aglicious wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 6:55 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
Let me make one more point it is true the the Y and U have made improvements from the original building for several million, but the Spectrum rebuild or a new arena will come with a huge price ticket. There have been some improvement to the old girl the west side entrance was added.

Or.......one could also look at it and say USU has gotten 50+ years out a venue that only cost 3M to build. That's pretty damn efficient which is one of the defining qualities of the entire USU athletic program. USU hoops has delivered a quality product with numerous championships in every league we've been a part of all while playing in a venue that has been serviceable. That same serviceable venue has earned a reputation that exceeds the other Utah college venues that you perceive as "better" based on the student section that has occupied it and provided the atmosphere.

The major reason a new build or remodel will be costly is tied to the cost of construction in today's world, not some poor decision made 50 years ago. All structures, especially public sports venues, are built with a life expectancy in mind. This also shouldn't be looked at any differently than the numerous academic buildings on campus that have been deemed outdated and as a result have been demolished and replaced with new and improved facilities over the past 3 decades. Have you seen campus lately? It's hardly recognizable compared to what campus even looked like in 2000. The campus is ever evolving as it should be; to provide the best to those it serves.
My thoughts exactly. Getting 50+ years of the Spectrum for $3 million is an ENORMOUS win for the University.
These users thanked the author aggieguy13 for the post (total 3):
Real Life Aggiepilotaggieaggies22

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 27th, 2020, 11:00 am

aggieguy13 wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 10:12 am
Aglicious wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 6:55 pm
oleblu111 wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Getting 50+ years of the Spectrum for $3 million is an ENORMOUS win for the University.
I can understand oleblue's point here.

Yes the Spectrum has provided a huge bang-for-the-buck as a basketball venue. It has been a utilitarian venue that provides a (cramped) seat for spectators to watch a basketball game or volleyball match. The concept of a sports arena has changed, however. Today's arenas must not only provide a seat for a ball game, they must also be a source of revenue for the owner, in this case, the university. Especially a university such as USU where donations are small. Luxury suites and high-revenue-generating courtside seats are a way to generate revenue. These will come with catering services and VIP treatment, of course.

I like the idea of two student sections behind the baskets on opposite sides of the court. They can certainly feed off each other. On one sideline you have the press row and the team benches, on the other side the high-priced courtside seats. Luxury suites can be placed along the top of both sides. The walking area around the arena must be much wider than it is now and the concessions facilities must be improved a ton. I really think the trend going forward is going to be for smaller venues with less human density.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » August 27th, 2020, 11:17 am

Yossarian wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 11:00 am
I like the idea of two student sections behind the baskets on opposite sides of the court. They can certainly feed off each other. On one sideline you have the press row and the team benches, on the other side the high-priced courtside seats. Luxury suites can be placed along the top of both sides. The walking area around the arena must be much wider than it is now and the concessions facilities must be improved a ton. I really think the trend going forward is going to be for smaller venues with less human density.
So they'd always be playing at a basket that has students behind it? Brutal. I love it.

Smaller venues with those expensive options to capitalize on those with extra money to spend... or companies. Isn't that one of the reasons why plane tickets were getting so cheap? They could subsidize overall prices with first class ticket prices?

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » August 27th, 2020, 11:30 am

A new in-venue fan store that sells more than two t-shirts would be nice also!
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post (total 4):
Real Life AggieAggiePTpilotaggieaggies22

aggietime

Post by aggietime » August 27th, 2020, 11:46 am

I can't take anyone who believes the U or Weber has a significantly better venue than USU seriously. Are the purple/red seats more comfortable? Sure. They may have marginally better traffic flow, but let's get real - you're at a sports venue with 10k other people...sometimes you have to be patient. I go to watch basketball, and multiple experiences across all three arenas has taught me that USU has by far the best sight lines and atmosphere of the 3 venues. This isn't a claim that the Spectrum is perfect - it's a 50 year old facility that has clear updates needed. But claiming it is far inferior to other venues in the state is ignorant.

Also, the thought that because X spent more than Y therefore X is better is a total fallacy. Not only does more not equal better, but comparing building costs across different locations and years by only looking at the final cost is half witted at best. Not to mention the U has dumped millions more dollars into the Huntsman Center in the last decade.

USU's next arena or Spectrum upgrade will not have a capacity of 11-12k as some seem to be dreaming. The trend has been to give fans more room and introduce suites and club seating that can generate more revenue (which is exactly what happened with Maverik and the reason it has a lower capacity after the renovation). I have no inside info, but my guess would be a new/renovated Spectrum will seat around 9k.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » August 27th, 2020, 11:53 am

aggietime wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 11:46 am
I can't take anyone who believes the U or Weber has a significantly better venue than USU seriously. Are the purple/red seats more comfortable? Sure. They may have marginally better traffic flow, but let's get real - you're at a sports venue with 10k other people...sometimes you have to be patient. I go to watch basketball, and multiple experiences across all three arenas has taught me that USU has by far the best sight lines and atmosphere of the 3 venues. This isn't a claim that the Spectrum is perfect - it's a 50 year old facility that has clear updates needed. But claiming it is far inferior to other venues in the state is ignorant.

Also, the thought that because X spent more than Y therefore X is better is a total fallacy. Not only does more not equal better, but comparing building costs across different locations and years by only looking at the final cost is half witted at best. Not to mention the U has dumped millions more dollars into the Huntsman Center in the last decade.

USU's next arena or Spectrum upgrade will not have a capacity of 11-12k as some seem to be dreaming. The trend has been to give fans more room and introduce suites and club seating that can generate more revenue (which is exactly what happened with Maverik and the reason it has a lower capacity after the renovation). I have no inside info, but my guess would be a new/renovated Spectrum will seat around 9k.
Agreed. I don't think the experience at the Huntsman Center is much better. The seats are a little more comfortable but I don't recall thinking they were enjoyable (admittedly the last time I was there was during the Vivint remodel when Jazz summer league got moved up there). The concourse was cramped and parking there is awful.

You are absolutely correct that the next iteration of the Spectrum or a brand new arena is going to see reduced capacity. The Vivint remodel reduced capacity, added luxury seating at the floor level, added loge seating, expanded VIP access, dramatically improved concourse movement, and created additional suite seating. They managed to do it without harming the atmosphere or reducing the crowd noise too. I would expect something similar in any new arena we get.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » August 27th, 2020, 12:00 pm

Seats are more comfortable, there's more space, it's better organized for getting snacks, bathroom traffic flows better... Weber has a much better parking situation.

I don't feel bad saying that I think that those stadiums are nicer than the Spectrum. Doesn't mean I still don't prefer the Spectrum. I always feel much closer to the game in the Spectrum.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
oleblu111

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » August 27th, 2020, 4:59 pm

Don’t change the Spectrum at all I have always liked it, and always will. Many wonderful memories there. I still get goosebumps when I walk in! I also likes the old arena George Nelson field house! Got my first kiss there in 1968.
Got Wayne Estes autograph that fateful night, even walked out onto the court with him that night. The Spectrum is where I tasted my first Casco nut sundae. Spectrum is where I saw John Denver, Olivia Newton John, Steve Marten, The Fifth Dimension, Hamilton Joe Frank and Reynolds, Alabama, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, And last but not least, The Carpenters, I have walked underneath the Spectrum and Walked on the cat walk above the ceiling ! Yep, leave my second home alone!

Putz
These users thanked the author troutputz for the post:
bluegrouse

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » August 27th, 2020, 5:12 pm

troutputz wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 4:59 pm
Don’t change the Spectrum at all I have always liked it, and always will. Many wonderful memories there. I still get goosebumps when I walk in! I also likes the old arena George Nelson field house! Got my first kiss there in 1968.
Got Wayne Estes autograph that fateful night, even walked out onto the court with him that night. The Spectrum is where I tasted my first Casco nut sundae. Spectrum is where I saw John Denver, Olivia Newton John, Steve Marten, The Fifth Dimension, Hamilton Joe Frank and Reynolds, Alabama, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, And last but not least, The Carpenters, I have walked underneath the Spectrum and Walked on the cat walk above the ceiling ! Yep, leave my second home alone!

Putz
You didn't go to Van Halen?!?

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 27th, 2020, 7:26 pm

Well we can argue this to death but if the Spectrum gets remodeled it will cost all of $100 million and still be in a poor location for paying customers I doubt Weber will need to remodel to that extent.

As far as USU having a better program than Weber well one would hope so. Utah on the other hand has 38 NCAA wins, 4 final fours, so I guess having the Huntsman has not hurt them to much

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » August 27th, 2020, 7:43 pm

oleblu111 wrote:Well we can argue this to death but if the Spectrum gets remodeled it will cost all of $100 million and still be in a poor location for paying customers I doubt Weber will need to remodel to that extent.

As far as USU having a better program than Weber well one would hope so. Utah on the other hand has 38 NCAA wins, 4 final fours, so I guess having the Huntsman has not hurt them to much
What does “poor location for paying customers” even mean ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 27th, 2020, 10:16 pm

I was a season ticket holder to U of U basketball for 3 years (not because I like the Utes, I just like basketball) and I can tell you, I hope USU never has an arena like that. It is a terrible venue compared to the Spectrum.

If we ever do move out of the Spectrum. It will truly be a sad day. I will probably cry. It has been such a happy place of so many great memories.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 4):
pilotaggieflying_scotsman2.0bluegrousestewusu98

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » August 28th, 2020, 10:57 am

2004AG wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 7:43 pm
oleblu111 wrote:Well we can argue this to death but if the Spectrum gets remodeled it will cost all of $100 million and still be in a poor location for paying customers I doubt Weber will need to remodel to that extent.

I figure they are referring to big donors that would have box seats. My question is would you rather have a Spectrum like atmosphere but be in a "poor location" or have a better location but give up the experience you have now?

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » August 28th, 2020, 11:55 am

pilotaggie wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 10:57 am
2004AG wrote:

I figure they are referring to big donors that would have box seats. My question is would you rather have a Spectrum like atmosphere but be in a "poor location" or have a better location but give up the experience you have now?
I assume poor location is referring to the entire arena location. Parking downhill from the Spectrum and then walking uphill on snow/ice to get to the game isn't ideal. Some of the older fans are the most financially established (biggest donors) and accessibility, especially during bad weather, is an issue for some. The term "paying customers" is vague because students also pay via fees, but I assume oleblue is referring to individuals who spend notably more money on tickets than the average attendee.
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post:
oleblu111

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » August 29th, 2020, 5:50 pm

pilotaggie wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 4:42 pm
I must be in the minority I don't like the Huntsman Center at all. It most likely is better for events but watching a game there is bad. I'd rather stay home than have the Huntsman Center.
The Huntsman Center and Dee Events Center suck for basketball. Seats pushed away from the court and you cant see the whole court from a large portion of the seats. The corners are buried behind the big walls at the ends. The Spectrum is far superior on both counts. Spectrum might not have all the amenities the other two have but I'm there to watch the game and I'll take the Spectrum all day long over those two.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post (total 2):
ProvoAggieaggietime

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » September 2nd, 2020, 5:57 pm

pilotaggie wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 10:57 am
2004AG wrote:

I will give you a example of what a new arena should be like if you can go to the Viejas arena id San Diego that is close to what I would want.. I would have less seating perhaps 11,500 would be the max, and a few luxury boxes.

That place is noisy, and very hard for visiting teams to get a win.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 2nd, 2020, 7:04 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 5:57 pm
I will give you a example of what a new arena should be like if you can go to the Viejas arena id San Diego that is close to what I would want.. I would have less seating perhaps 11,500 would be the max, and a few luxury boxes.

Viejas and the Pit definitely both look like the types of venues we should be trying to replicate. Viejas has always intrigued me with the way they built it on their old football stadium without tearing the rest of the stadium down.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 2nd, 2020, 7:27 pm

cdaAg wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 5:12 pm
troutputz wrote:

Putz
Did they really play the Spectrum?

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » September 2nd, 2020, 7:36 pm

aggies22 wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 7:27 pm
cdaAg wrote:

Yep, in 1979. They were booked not long before they really hit it big, and kept their agreement. I can't fathom something like that nowadays. Here's a link with a bit of info.https://www.google.com/amp/s/vanhalenri ... ty-usu/amp

GUS

Post by GUS » September 2nd, 2020, 8:34 pm

l can't remember his name, but there was an activities vp at USU that was really good at booking groups to play at the Spectrum. In addition, to the groups named, I remember Seals and Crofts and either Grand Funk Railroad or Three Dog Night. Those were fun days to go to USU.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 2nd, 2020, 9:14 pm

I wasn't very old maybe 7 or 8 but I remember Neil Diamond coming.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » September 2nd, 2020, 11:08 pm

aggies22 wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 7:27 pm
cdaAg wrote:
troutputz wrote:

Putz
Yeah... didn't they get banned for excessive language? A few dozen too many f-bombs?

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 2nd, 2020, 11:13 pm

Replacing the Spectrum would be a mistake. It is a cathedral of college basketball and a special place. Kansas ain’t knockin’ down Allen, nor is Duke knockin’ down Cameron (both of which are much older than the Spectrum).

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 2nd, 2020, 11:17 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 7:04 pm
oleblu111 wrote:

Viejas and the Pit definitely both look like the types of venues we should be trying to replicate. Viejas has always intrigued me with the way they built it on their old football stadium without tearing the rest of the stadium down.

Ewwwww.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 3rd, 2020, 7:29 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 11:17 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 7:04 pm
oleblu111 wrote:

Ewwwww.
Just think. With the outdoor seating. We could have the entire student section there waiting for the opposing team. 😁

Viejas is probably very nice inside.

Locked Previous topicNext topic