New commit from Russia

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9691
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4975 times
Been thanked: 2964 times
Contact:

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by aggies22 » June 21st, 2020, 10:58 pm

nvspuds wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 10:56 pm
aggies22 wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 10:27 pm
nswaggie wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 9:02 pm
ususports wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 8:56 pm
I am more confused than all of you. So, we had one scholarship left that was said would go unused, and now we offer a kid a scholarship, and the numbers don't add up? What am I missing?
I was confused too but I think the problem is the NCAA only allows 15 players on the roster. This signing means 16, so even though we are ok with 13 scholarship players we have one too many players total. Either we found a loophole or one of our players is not coming back or coming to begin with.
I too was under the impression that only 15 players could be carried on the roster. However, in taking a look at rosters from around the area, I've found that byu AND utah carried 17 dudes in 2019-20. Nevada currently has 16 on its 2020-21 roster.
Nevada has 15 on the roster. Harris is gone.

The Pack will have 11 scholarship guys on the active roster and one sit out transfer. 3 Walk Ons.
Ok. Thanks for the info!



aggies95
Posts: 15
Joined: January 8th, 2020, 11:07 am
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by aggies95 » June 22nd, 2020, 7:58 am



I'm not very familiar with the European leagues and which basketball leagues are considered to have the best talent, etc. but I did recognize Sam Dekker, who was an NBA role player for several years, playing on Zakhar's team in this video. Alan Williams was also on the Lokomotiv Kuban roster (played several years in the NBA). Will Cummings was also on the roster. He had a nice college career at Temple and bounced around some NBA summer league/G-League teams before landing in Europe. Zakhar will be bringing valuable experience with him to the Aggies.
These users thanked the author aggies95 for the post (total 3):
slcaggaggies22aggieref



slcagg
Posts: 4943
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 744 times
Been thanked: 673 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by slcagg » June 22nd, 2020, 8:01 am

aggies95 wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 7:58 am


I'm not very familiar with the European leagues and which basketball leagues are considered to have the best talent, etc. but I did recognize Sam Dekker, who was an NBA role player for several years, playing on Zakhar's team in this video. Alan Williams was also on the Lokomotiv Kuban roster (played several years in the NBA). Will Cummings was also on the roster. He had a nice college career at Temple and bounced around some NBA summer league/G-League teams before landing in Europe. Zakhar will be bringing valuable experience with him to the Aggies.
His dad is also president I believe I read.

Overall I think this is a nice signing (love the shooting we have for next year).

It will be interesting with the world we currently live in if we can get visas etc and get all of these international players over here.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies95



aggies95
Posts: 15
Joined: January 8th, 2020, 11:07 am
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by aggies95 » June 22nd, 2020, 8:20 am



Highlights against USA in FIBA U19 for anyone that's interested. He really got it going in the 3rd quarter.
These users thanked the author aggies95 for the post (total 4):
slcaggaggies22Real Life AggieAggieArmy



SLB
Posts: 3421
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 193 times
Been thanked: 349 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by SLB » June 22nd, 2020, 8:50 am

aggies95 wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 8:20 am


Highlights against USA in FIBA U19 for anyone that's interested. He really got it going in the 3rd quarter.
https://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2 ... USA-Russia
To see who he faced in that game
https://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2 ... tab=roster
Last edited by SLB on June 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post (total 2):
aggies22Real Life Aggie



aggieref
Posts: 27
Joined: January 15th, 2011, 11:34 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by aggieref » June 22nd, 2020, 9:28 am



More Highights
These users thanked the author aggieref for the post (total 3):
aggies22aggies95Real Life Aggie



Bank Shot
Posts: 430
Joined: January 26th, 2019, 6:27 pm
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by Bank Shot » June 22nd, 2020, 10:42 am

With the timing of this, earlier statements from Smith and the belief that the roster for this year was set, I just have to think that the staff thought this was an opportunity too good to pass up. I'm not a fan of his shooting mechanics, but if it works...who cares?
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post (total 2):
aggies22BLUERUFiO



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15889
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 446 times
Been thanked: 1059 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 22nd, 2020, 10:49 am

Man that shot gives me the willies. Hope he works out.



Yossarian
Posts: 3496
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 422 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by Yossarian » June 22nd, 2020, 10:59 am

So it is confirmed that no other roster changes have happened? Everyone that we thought was going to be on the roster is still there? We just add the Ruskie?



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9691
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4975 times
Been thanked: 2964 times
Contact:

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by aggies22 » June 22nd, 2020, 11:20 am

Yossarian wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 10:59 am
So it is confirmed that no other roster changes have happened? Everyone that we thought was going to be on the roster is still there? We just add the Ruskie?
That is correct.



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1205
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 142 times

New commit from Russia

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » June 22nd, 2020, 11:32 am

A Russian, a Ukrainian, and a Pole all in the same recruiting class. The dynamics outside of basketball here could be interesting. Hopefully there isn’t any political tension with the Russian. Basketball seems to help erase those kinds of things. The greatness about team sports.

I think Zakhar is a great get and will be pretty game ready this year (no need to redshirt) considering the competition he’s been playing against. The kid does not hesitate to pull the trigger from deep.



User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 9380
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 477 times
Been thanked: 344 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by ViAggie » June 22nd, 2020, 11:36 am

Balla'


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Yossarian
Posts: 3496
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 422 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by Yossarian » June 22nd, 2020, 11:46 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 11:32 am
A Russian, a Ukrainian, and a Pole all in the same recruiting class. The dynamics outside of basketball here could be interesting. Hopefully there isn’t any political tension with the Russian. Basketball seems to help erase those kinds of things. The greatness about team sports.

I think Zakhar is a great get and will be pretty game ready this year (no need to redshirt) considering the competition he’s been playing against. The kid does not hesitate to pull the trigger from deep.
I would say there is far more political tension just within the USA than there is between those countries.

I do think several of these foreign players need some lessons on the fundamentals of shooting mechanics. Ultimately, though, the idea is to put the ball through the hoop. You don't get more points for style. As long as the motion is controlled and repeatable, keep doing what you're doing.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
SLBBLUERUFiO



SLB
Posts: 3421
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 193 times
Been thanked: 349 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by SLB » June 22nd, 2020, 12:13 pm




Aggie84025
Posts: 1997
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 608 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by Aggie84025 » June 22nd, 2020, 12:37 pm

Seems like a solid get. Be interesting to see what Coach Smith does with the backcourt. The group is extremely young, but seem to be talented. This recruit seems like he can come in play right away due to his professional experience. Excited for the upcoming year.



nswaggie
Posts: 434
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 5:36 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by nswaggie » June 22nd, 2020, 2:12 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 10:27 pm
nswaggie wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 9:02 pm
ususports wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 8:56 pm
I am more confused than all of you. So, we had one scholarship left that was said would go unused, and now we offer a kid a scholarship, and the numbers don't add up? What am I missing?
I was confused too but I think the problem is the NCAA only allows 15 players on the roster. This signing means 16, so even though we are ok with 13 scholarship players we have one too many players total. Either we found a loophole or one of our players is not coming back or coming to begin with.
I too was under the impression that only 15 players could be carried on the roster. However, in taking a look at rosters from around the area, I've found that byu AND utah carried 17 dudes in 2019-20.
Wonder if there is no limit or some kind of loop hole.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9691
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4975 times
Been thanked: 2964 times
Contact:

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by aggies22 » June 22nd, 2020, 2:22 pm

nswaggie wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 2:12 pm
aggies22 wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 10:27 pm
nswaggie wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 9:02 pm
ususports wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 8:56 pm
I am more confused than all of you. So, we had one scholarship left that was said would go unused, and now we offer a kid a scholarship, and the numbers don't add up? What am I missing?
I was confused too but I think the problem is the NCAA only allows 15 players on the roster. This signing means 16, so even though we are ok with 13 scholarship players we have one too many players total. Either we found a loophole or one of our players is not coming back or coming to begin with.
I too was under the impression that only 15 players could be carried on the roster. However, in taking a look at rosters from around the area, I've found that byu AND utah carried 17 dudes in 2019-20.
Wonder if there is no limit or some kind of loop hole.
I'm wondering if teams are only allowed to dress 15?



Yossarian
Posts: 3496
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 422 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by Yossarian » June 22nd, 2020, 2:24 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 2:22 pm
nswaggie wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 2:12 pm
aggies22 wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 10:27 pm
nswaggie wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 9:02 pm
ususports wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 8:56 pm
I am more confused than all of you. So, we had one scholarship left that was said would go unused, and now we offer a kid a scholarship, and the numbers don't add up? What am I missing?
I was confused too but I think the problem is the NCAA only allows 15 players on the roster. This signing means 16, so even though we are ok with 13 scholarship players we have one too many players total. Either we found a loophole or one of our players is not coming back or coming to begin with.
I too was under the impression that only 15 players could be carried on the roster. However, in taking a look at rosters from around the area, I've found that byu AND utah carried 17 dudes in 2019-20.
Wonder if there is no limit or some kind of loop hole.
I'm wondering if teams are only allowed to dress 15?
They're only allowed to give shoes to 12.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
NVAggie



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9691
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4975 times
Been thanked: 2964 times
Contact:

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by aggies22 » June 22nd, 2020, 2:25 pm

Yossarian wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 2:24 pm
aggies22 wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 2:22 pm
nswaggie wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 2:12 pm
aggies22 wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 10:27 pm
nswaggie wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 9:02 pm
ususports wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 8:56 pm
I am more confused than all of you. So, we had one scholarship left that was said would go unused, and now we offer a kid a scholarship, and the numbers don't add up? What am I missing?
I was confused too but I think the problem is the NCAA only allows 15 players on the roster. This signing means 16, so even though we are ok with 13 scholarship players we have one too many players total. Either we found a loophole or one of our players is not coming back or coming to begin with.
I too was under the impression that only 15 players could be carried on the roster. However, in taking a look at rosters from around the area, I've found that byu AND utah carried 17 dudes in 2019-20.
Wonder if there is no limit or some kind of loop hole.
I'm wondering if teams are only allowed to dress 15?
They're only allowed to give shoes to 12.
Yikes! Let's hope some of them wear the same size and then they can just switch off at the scorer's table.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Real Life Aggie



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 191
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 90 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » June 22nd, 2020, 2:47 pm

slcagg wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 4:08 pm
SlumJum wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 4:06 pm
slcagg wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 3:59 pm
16=15?
That was my question too. What don't we know yet? Who is not coming back next year?
Yeah not coming back or maybe just not coming? I guess we will find out if this is legit and how it all shakes out soon enough.
Please let it be Miller.



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 1244
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 1210 times
Been thanked: 505 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by Real Life Aggie » June 22nd, 2020, 2:51 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 2:25 pm
Yossarian wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 2:24 pm
aggies22 wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 2:22 pm
nswaggie wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 2:12 pm
aggies22 wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 10:27 pm
nswaggie wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 9:02 pm
ususports wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 8:56 pm
I am more confused than all of you. So, we had one scholarship left that was said would go unused, and now we offer a kid a scholarship, and the numbers don't add up? What am I missing?
I was confused too but I think the problem is the NCAA only allows 15 players on the roster. This signing means 16, so even though we are ok with 13 scholarship players we have one too many players total. Either we found a loophole or one of our players is not coming back or coming to begin with.
I too was under the impression that only 15 players could be carried on the roster. However, in taking a look at rosters from around the area, I've found that byu AND utah carried 17 dudes in 2019-20.
Wonder if there is no limit or some kind of loop hole.
I'm wondering if teams are only allowed to dress 15?
They're only allowed to give shoes to 12.
Yikes! Let's hope some of them wear the same size and then they can just switch off at the scorer's table.
Queta's proficient at losing shoes. Does anyone else have canoe-sized feet?
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
aggies22



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 191
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 90 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » June 22nd, 2020, 3:22 pm

dogie wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 9:15 pm
ususports wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 8:56 pm
I am more confused than all of you. So, we had one scholarship left that was said would go unused, and now we offer a kid a scholarship, and the numbers don't add up? What am I missing?
With this signing, most of the Aggies’ scholarship players are foreign, from Canada, Australia, Poland (2), Ukraine, Portugal and now Russia.

I wonder how many other D-1 schools have that many international players.
I love it! Why limit your recruiting to just the US (or Utah)? There are great players to be found all over the world, you'd be foolish to limit yourself.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
aggies22



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9691
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4975 times
Been thanked: 2964 times
Contact:

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by aggies22 » June 22nd, 2020, 3:42 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 3:22 pm
dogie wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 9:15 pm
ususports wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 8:56 pm
I am more confused than all of you. So, we had one scholarship left that was said would go unused, and now we offer a kid a scholarship, and the numbers don't add up? What am I missing?
With this signing, most of the Aggies’ scholarship players are foreign, from Canada, Australia, Poland (2), Ukraine, Portugal and now Russia.

I wonder how many other D-1 schools have that many international players.
I love it! Why limit your recruiting to just the US (or Utah)? There are great players to be found all over the world, you'd be foolish to limit yourself.
At this point in time, I think the coaching staff is finding it easier to recruit elite international talent to Logan.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
Real Life AggieOrangeCountyAggieUSU78



Dkdavis
Posts: 159
Joined: January 28th, 2019, 7:51 pm
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by Dkdavis » June 22nd, 2020, 4:02 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 3:42 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 3:22 pm
dogie wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 9:15 pm
ususports wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 8:56 pm
I am more confused than all of you. So, we had one scholarship left that was said would go unused, and now we offer a kid a scholarship, and the numbers don't add up? What am I missing?
With this signing, most of the Aggies’ scholarship players are foreign, from Canada, Australia, Poland (2), Ukraine, Portugal and now Russia.

I wonder how many other D-1 schools have that many international players.
I love it! Why limit your recruiting to just the US (or Utah)? There are great players to be found all over the world, you'd be foolish to limit yourself.
At this point in time, I think the coaching staff is finding it easier to recruit elite international talent to Logan.
From the time I spent outside the US, cultural differences can really cause clashes between people. I think Utah State has a real advantage here. If I was looking to go play college ball in another country a diverse team would be very attractive to me. Especially knowing that the coaching stuff isn't gonna think of me any different because of where I am from. Not only do we have foreign players, but players who have spent significant time outside the country (i.e. Mission) as well!



User avatar
flying_scotsman2.0
Posts: 1012
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm
Has thanked: 580 times
Been thanked: 262 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » June 22nd, 2020, 4:09 pm

Coming to logan from Irkutsk must be different than coming to logan from San Diego...



slcagg
Posts: 4943
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 744 times
Been thanked: 673 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by slcagg » June 22nd, 2020, 4:22 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 4:02 pm
aggies22 wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 3:42 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 3:22 pm
dogie wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 9:15 pm
ususports wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 8:56 pm
I am more confused than all of you. So, we had one scholarship left that was said would go unused, and now we offer a kid a scholarship, and the numbers don't add up? What am I missing?
With this signing, most of the Aggies’ scholarship players are foreign, from Canada, Australia, Poland (2), Ukraine, Portugal and now Russia.

I wonder how many other D-1 schools have that many international players.
I love it! Why limit your recruiting to just the US (or Utah)? There are great players to be found all over the world, you'd be foolish to limit yourself.
At this point in time, I think the coaching staff is finding it easier to recruit elite international talent to Logan.
From the time I spent outside the US, cultural differences can really cause clashes between people. I think Utah State has a real advantage here. If I was looking to go play college ball in another country a diverse team would be very attractive to me. Especially knowing that the coaching stuff isn't gonna think of me any different because of where I am from. Not only do we have foreign players, but players who have spent significant time outside the country (i.e. Mission) as well!
Too bad Abel isn’t still on the team. He went on his mission to Russia if I remember correctly.



slcagg
Posts: 4943
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 744 times
Been thanked: 673 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by slcagg » June 22nd, 2020, 4:23 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 4:09 pm
Coming to logan from Irkutsk must be different than coming to logan from San Diego...
Ever played the board game of risk?



User avatar
918AGG
Posts: 610
Joined: December 20th, 2012, 6:49 pm
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by 918AGG » June 22nd, 2020, 5:05 pm

Otlichno!

The Russki (may be a stretch, but I wonder if Abel helped out with the recruiting at all), the Pol and the Ukrainian will probably get along well. Not worried about that.


"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 1244
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 1210 times
Been thanked: 505 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by Real Life Aggie » June 22nd, 2020, 5:10 pm

918AGG wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 5:05 pm
Otlichno!

The Russki (may be a stretch, but I wonder if Abel helped out with the recruiting at all), the Pol and the Ukrainian will probably get along well. Not worried about that.
Unless Max Shulga decides to complain about Putin annexing part of his country, I imagine they'll get along swimmingly.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
aggieguy13AggieFBObsession



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15889
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 446 times
Been thanked: 1059 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 22nd, 2020, 5:13 pm

slcagg wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 4:23 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 4:09 pm
Coming to logan from Irkutsk must be different than coming to logan from San Diego...
Ever played the board game of risk?
No, but I’ve played Scrabble and these last names have too many consonants and not enough vowels.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
slcaggaggies22



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 191
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 90 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » June 22nd, 2020, 11:55 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 3:42 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 3:22 pm
dogie wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 9:15 pm
ususports wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 8:56 pm
I am more confused than all of you. So, we had one scholarship left that was said would go unused, and now we offer a kid a scholarship, and the numbers don't add up? What am I missing?
With this signing, most of the Aggies’ scholarship players are foreign, from Canada, Australia, Poland (2), Ukraine, Portugal and now Russia.

I wonder how many other D-1 schools have that many international players.
I love it! Why limit your recruiting to just the US (or Utah)? There are great players to be found all over the world, you'd be foolish to limit yourself.
At this point in time, I think the coaching staff is finding it easier to recruit elite international talent to Logan.
Serious question, is this just a personal observation, or is this at all concern inside program circles? By my count, Smith's crew has landed 3 American (scholarship) recruits (Anderson, Worster, Anthony) and 5 internationals (Queta, Zapala, Shulga, Vedischev, McChesney). You could count Ashworth as a re-recruit. Still a bit unusual.



User avatar
flying_scotsman2.0
Posts: 1012
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm
Has thanked: 580 times
Been thanked: 262 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » June 23rd, 2020, 9:21 am

slcagg wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 4:23 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 4:09 pm
Coming to logan from Irkutsk must be different than coming to logan from San Diego...
Ever played the board game of risk?
That's the only reason I know about Irkutsk.



nvspuds
Posts: 824
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 261 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by nvspuds » June 23rd, 2020, 9:23 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 11:55 pm
aggies22 wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 3:42 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 3:22 pm
dogie wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 9:15 pm
ususports wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 8:56 pm
I am more confused than all of you. So, we had one scholarship left that was said would go unused, and now we offer a kid a scholarship, and the numbers don't add up? What am I missing?
With this signing, most of the Aggies’ scholarship players are foreign, from Canada, Australia, Poland (2), Ukraine, Portugal and now Russia.

I wonder how many other D-1 schools have that many international players.
I love it! Why limit your recruiting to just the US (or Utah)? There are great players to be found all over the world, you'd be foolish to limit yourself.
At this point in time, I think the coaching staff is finding it easier to recruit elite international talent to Logan.
Serious question, is this just a personal observation, or is this at all concern inside program circles? By my count, Smith's crew has landed 3 American (scholarship) recruits (Anderson, Worster, Anthony) and 5 internationals (Queta, Zapala, Shulga, Vedischev, McChesney). You could count Ashworth as a re-recruit. Still a bit unusual.
Did Smith recruit a lot of international players at his last job?



AggieFBObsession
Posts: 918
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 722 times
Been thanked: 125 times

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by AggieFBObsession » June 23rd, 2020, 9:43 am

Besides English being the common language here, Russian is the other common language now. Ukrainians not only speak Ukrainian but also Russian. Obviously the kid from Russia speaks Russian. I also know that Kuba speaks Russian. I'm sure the other Polish kid speaks Russian too.

There could be a Russian speaking lineup on the court. Haha

As for the questions about political tension, it's not going to be a factor at all unless Shulga has lost a family member or close friend to the war and brings it up in conversation and the same is true for Vedischev.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9691
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4975 times
Been thanked: 2964 times
Contact:

Re: New commit from Russia

Post by aggies22 » June 23rd, 2020, 10:19 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 11:55 pm
aggies22 wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 3:42 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 3:22 pm
dogie wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 9:15 pm
ususports wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 8:56 pm
I am more confused than all of you. So, we had one scholarship left that was said would go unused, and now we offer a kid a scholarship, and the numbers don't add up? What am I missing?
With this signing, most of the Aggies’ scholarship players are foreign, from Canada, Australia, Poland (2), Ukraine, Portugal and now Russia.

I wonder how many other D-1 schools have that many international players.
I love it! Why limit your recruiting to just the US (or Utah)? There are great players to be found all over the world, you'd be foolish to limit yourself.
At this point in time, I think the coaching staff is finding it easier to recruit elite international talent to Logan.
Serious question, is this just a personal observation, or is this at all concern inside program circles? By my count, Smith's crew has landed 3 American (scholarship) recruits (Anderson, Worster, Anthony) and 5 internationals (Queta, Zapala, Shulga, Vedischev, McChesney). You could count Ashworth as a re-recruit. Still a bit unusual.
At this point, it's just a personal observation. Not only is it difficult to sell in-state recruits on Logan Utah, I think it's tough to sell Logan Utah to kids period. When competing against beaches, bright lights, and much bigger cities (PAC-12 and Mountain West) for recruits, it can be tough. Logan isn't a sexy sell but if we continue to win, it will become easier to sell to kids who truly WANTS to win and win a lot. If a kid is looking for individual accolades and a good time, Logan will never be a good landing spot for a kid like that.

We'll see just how successful this dive into the international player pool is. On paper, it looks like a really good group. All the kids that play on the U19, U18 teams for the U.S. teams are all very high 3, 4, or 5-star guys. So, although it is difficult for me to get our international kids rated by my higher-ups, one could assume that all our signings are at least high 3-star recruits. They are part of the pool of kids that are the best in their age groups from their respective countries.

I do agree that our approach is unusual. However, take a look at our western state neighbors at Gonzaga and St. Mary's. They have used a very similar approach for years and it works very well for those schools. The jury is out on how well it is going to work at Utah State but the initial look is very promising in my opinion.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
AggiePT



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic