Sam Vecenie on Sam Merrill: "I think he's gonna get picked"

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
MarioWest

Sam Vecenie on Sam Merrill: "I think he's gonna get picked"

Post by MarioWest » June 16th, 2020, 11:10 am

The Athletic's NBA draft expert Sam Vecenie talks to an old friend of USU, Tony Jones, on the Game Theory podcast. The whole podcast is worth a listen for NBA fans, but they discuss Merrill's NBA prospects for about 5 minutes at 54:40 of the podcast.

And here's another excellent NBA scouting report on Sam. It seems like his stock is rising. Would be absolutely awesome to see him drafted. He's earned it.
These users thanked the author MarioWest for the post (total 11):
sstrasserBank ShotAggie in BoiseSLBaggies22Real Life Aggieaggieguy13NVAggieRoy McAvoyJjoey52 and one more user

Real Life Aggie

Re: Sam Vecenie on Sam Merrill: "I think he's gonna get picked"

Post by Real Life Aggie » June 16th, 2020, 11:26 am

Really good comments on Sam. I also laughed when they complained about Malachi Flynn's DPOY being ridiculous. :)
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
NVAggie

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » June 16th, 2020, 12:51 pm

I agree with Vecenie. Sam has NBA-level talent, no question. It's also an extremely weak draft.
Last edited by OrangeCountyAggie on June 16th, 2020, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » June 16th, 2020, 1:27 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 12:51 pm
I agree with Vecenie. Sam has NBA-level talent, no question. It's also an extremely week draft.
Which week?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 16th, 2020, 1:29 pm

Good find my Aggie brother!

sstrasser

Post by sstrasser » June 16th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 1:27 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
I agree with Vecenie. Sam has NBA-level talent, no question. It's also an extremely week draft.
Which week?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I think he means it is a WEAK draft!
These users thanked the author sstrasser for the post:
Real Life Aggie

ususports

Post by ususports » June 16th, 2020, 2:18 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 1:27 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Which week?
Normally, the third week in June is pretty extreme (old people trying to be hip would call it fierce), but I think this year, it has been moved to mid-October.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
Real Life Aggie

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » June 17th, 2020, 9:43 am

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/list ... prospects/

This site has him picked 57th to the LA Clippers!

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » June 17th, 2020, 12:18 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 9:43 am
Wow, I'm struggling to adjust to this new-world NBA where the playoffs are held in one city with no fans present, and one in which the Clippers aren't a complete joke. I would not hate having Sam end up with the Clippers!

sstrasser

Post by sstrasser » June 17th, 2020, 12:46 pm

cdaAg wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 12:18 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
Wow, I'm struggling to adjust to this new-world NBA where the playoffs are held in one city with no fans present, and one in which the Clippers aren't a complete joke. I would not hate having Sam end up with the Clippers!
Yes, a Western Conference team where we can see him play twice in SLC. That would be awesome!

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » June 17th, 2020, 1:12 pm

sstrasser wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 12:46 pm
cdaAg wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
Yes, a Western Conference team where we can see him play twice in SLC. That would be awesome!
I have high hopes for him making it into the NBA, but I don't have high hopes that he will see very much playing time or last very long.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » June 18th, 2020, 12:21 pm

He could potentially be a Steve Kerr type of player, someone who can hit the big shot. There is always room for a good shooter who is like a coach on the floor. Unlike Fredette, Sam can play both ends of the floor.
These users thanked the author Jjoey52 for the post:
sstrasser

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

GoldcoastAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by GoldcoastAggie » June 18th, 2020, 2:27 pm

cdaAg wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
The clippers have been decent for the past 10 years, it is still a little weird. Ballmer seems like a good owner willing to do what it takes to win.

dogie

Post by dogie » June 18th, 2020, 11:11 pm

Jjoey52 wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 12:21 pm
He could potentially be a Steve Kerr type of player, someone who can hit the big shot. There is always room for a good shooter who is like a coach on the floor. Unlike Fredette, Sam can play both ends of the floor.
Jimmer can also play both ends of the court. But always offense.
These users thanked the author dogie for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttUSU78

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » June 18th, 2020, 11:33 pm

dogie wrote:
Jjoey52 wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 12:21 pm
Jimmer can also play both ends of the court. But always offense.
Unfortunately without a bunch of kids from lone peak to feed him he cant just chuck up 50 footers.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » June 19th, 2020, 7:24 am

I see Sam filling a Joe Ingles type of role. Maybe not the most athletic, but a good position defender and good offense (on ball, off ball, and facilitating).

Aggies All the Way!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 19th, 2020, 9:16 am

cdaAg wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
The Clippers have been a solid NBA team for almost a decade now and have a good stable culture with one of the longest tenured coaches in the league who has done a good job developing second round picks.
It would be a great landing spot for Merrill.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » June 19th, 2020, 9:59 am

Similar to the NFL draft, I wonder if it's better being picked towards the end of the draft or being undrafted. It seems like picks are more likely to get a contract, since the team has given up an asset, but he could pick his spot to some degree if he went undrafted and signed a two-way.

I think you'd be better off signing a two-way with a solid franchise like the Jazz, Spurs, Raptors, etc. than being drafted by the Knicks or Kings.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 20th, 2020, 8:39 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
June 19th, 2020, 9:59 am
Similar to the NFL draft, I wonder if it's better being picked towards the end of the draft or being undrafted. It seems like picks are more likely to get a contract, since the team has given up an asset, but he could pick his spot to some degree if he went undrafted and signed a two-way.

I think you'd be better off signing a two-way with a solid franchise like the Jazz, Spurs, Raptors, etc. than being drafted by the Knicks or Kings.
I definitely see where you are going with your post. With there only being two rounds in the NBA Draft, I'm wondering if being drafted carries more weight? I believe there is a difference between being drafted in the 7th round of the NFL and the second of the NBA based on the sheer volume of picks alone. Plus, I'm thinking it would give our coaching staff a little more clout out on the recruiting trail to tell kids they too can make it to the NBA from Utah State.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggiesstrasser

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 20th, 2020, 10:16 am

I think there are similarities between Merrill and Luke Babbitt. Though Babbitt was on the radar even in high school and entered the draft at a younger age they share some assets valuable to an NBA team.

Both are knockdown 3 point shooters. Both are coachable and disciplined on and off the court. They are competitive and willing defenders. They can get rebounds and share the ball well. Both can get their own shot. Babbitt was more of a tweener but Merrill has good size for an NBA 2 guard.

Babbitt went just outside the lottery at 16 and lasted 8 or 9 years in the league as a role player. I can see a similar arc for Merrill. It just takes one team who likes him enough to draft him.
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 3):
Real Life Aggieaggies22sstrasser

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » June 20th, 2020, 11:22 am

nvspuds wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 10:16 am
I think there are similarities between Merrill and Luke Babbitt. Though Babbitt was on the radar even in high school and entered the draft at a younger age they share some assets valuable to an NBA team.

Both are knockdown 3 point shooters. Both are coachable and disciplined on and off the court. They are competitive and willing defenders. They can get rebounds and share the ball well. Both can get their own shot. Babbitt was more of a tweener but Merrill has good size for an NBA 2 guard.

Babbitt went just outside the lottery at 16 and lasted 8 or 9 years in the league as a role player. I can see a similar arc for Merrill. It just takes one team who likes him enough to draft him.
Another favorable NBA comp is Bogdan Bogdonivic (Sacramento Kings). Same shooting ability, ball-handling, court vision, toughness, level of athleticism, and size:

He's the third guard in a 3 guard rotation and the first player off the bench at either the one or the two. Both are clutch.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » June 20th, 2020, 1:04 pm

nvspuds wrote:

Really? 8 or 9 years in the league and Merrill would be about 42!

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » June 20th, 2020, 1:39 pm

nvspuds wrote:I think there are similarities between Merrill and Luke Babbitt. Though Babbitt was on the radar even in high school and entered the draft at a younger age they share some assets valuable to an NBA team.

Thankfully Sam doesn't run like Babbitt...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 20th, 2020, 1:56 pm

I think you mean Fazekas. Babbitt was pretty athletic and moved quite well...

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » June 20th, 2020, 2:06 pm

nvspuds wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 1:56 pm
I think you mean Fazekas. Babbitt was pretty athletic and moved quite well...
Yeah... I recall Babbitt looking good all the way around.

Fazekas didn't seem like a natural runner. But he's super tall. Most guys pushing 7 feet look a little goofy trying to sprint down the court.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » June 20th, 2020, 2:07 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 11:22 am
nvspuds wrote:

Another favorable NBA comp is Bogdan Bogdonivic (Sacramento Kings). Same shooting ability, ball-handling, court vision, toughness, level of athleticism, and size:

He's the third guard in a 3 guard rotation and the first player off the bench at either the one or the two. Both are clutch.
I like the comparison, but isn't Bogdanovic notably more athletic than Sam is?

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » June 20th, 2020, 3:12 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 2:07 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
nvspuds wrote:

I've watched Bojan a bit (not much, thanks jazz for your crappy tv deal, screw you guys), he's really not more athletic than sam. However, he is actually 6'8", and is one of the better 3-point shooters in the NBA. I'm not sure Sam is on that level of 3-point shooting, but I think he has the potential. People also make the comparison to Korver, who was also 6'8", iirc. If Sam was 6'8" he'd be going in the first round, maybe lottery.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » June 20th, 2020, 3:29 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 3:12 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
nvspuds wrote:

I've watched Bojan a bit (not much, thanks jazz for your crappy tv deal, screw you guys), he's really not more athletic than sam. However, he is actually 6'8", and is one of the better 3-point shooters in the NBA. I'm not sure Sam is on that level of 3-point shooting, but I think he has the potential. People also make the comparison to Korver, who was also 6'8", iirc. If Sam was 6'8" he'd be going in the first round, maybe lottery.
Bogdan Bogdanovic is 6'5'', I think you're thinking of Bojan Bogdanović who is 6'8''

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » June 20th, 2020, 3:31 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
nvspuds wrote:

Not really, I'm a Kings fan and can tell you they both (Sam and Bogdon) are a bit underrated from that standpoint. Here's an example:

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » June 20th, 2020, 4:42 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 3:29 pm

Bogdan Bogdanovic is 6'5'', I think you're thinking of Bojan Bogdanović who is 6'8''
Ha, that's embarrassing. Don't mind me. :cheers:
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic