Depth chart predictions

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Real Life Aggie

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by Real Life Aggie » July 30th, 2020, 4:19 pm

In light of the most recent info given by 22 (see:viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53879#p647750 ), here's my updated depth chart:

1: Marco, Ashworth
2: Vedischev, Bairstow, Stastny
3: McChesney, Miller
4: Bean, Anderson, Zapala
5: Queta, Zapala, Kuba, Dorius
RS: Worster, Wickizer, another guard (Shulga?)

Starters: Marco, Vedishev, McChesney, Bean, Queta
6: Anderson
7: Zapala

I would love more input from 22, but I guess that Bean still starts at 4, then rotates to 3 when Anderson comes in.

Does having so many big guys result in them playing much more aggressively? Do we see Zapala moving into the 4 so he can be on the court at the same time as Queta? There were quite a few times this year when our team played small ball (Anderson at the 5, Bean at 4, then guards). Is there anytime when our team goes particularly big (Queta, Zapala, Bean, McChesney, guard)?
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22BustaMcNutt

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » July 30th, 2020, 4:29 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 4:19 pm
In light of the most recent info given by 22 (see:viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53879#p647750 ), here's my updated depth chart:

I would love more input from 22, but I guess that Bean still starts at 4, then rotates to 3 when Anderson comes in.

Does having so many big guys result in them playing much more aggressively? Do we see Zapala moving into the 4 so he can be on the court at the same time as Queta? There were quite a few times this year when our team played small ball (Anderson at the 5, Bean at 4, then guards). Is there anytime when our team goes particularly big (Queta, Zapala, Bean, McChesney, guard)?
Based off what Aggies22 said, I see it pretty differently. Right now I see it more this way:

G) Anthony, Ashworth, Worster
G) Bairstow, Vedischev, Stastny
F) Bean, Miller
F) Anderson, McChesney
C) Queta, Zapala, Kuba, Dorious
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
aggies22

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » July 30th, 2020, 5:05 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 4:29 pm
Based off what Aggies22 said, I see it pretty differently. Right now I see it more this way:

F) Bean, Miller
F) Anderson, McChesney
Think so? The wording to me sounded more like it would be a situation they could use, but it wouldn't be the go to. Does Bean dominate the boards as he did last season if he's at the 3?

That leads me to the next question: how does positionless basketball work for SF/PF? I had been thinking positionless basketball was more like 3 guards, a forward, and a center. Sorry if it's a strange question... just looking to get your thoughts on our best rebounder and how that looks different with him changing position.

bpd
Has thanked: 0

Post by bpd » July 30th, 2020, 5:36 pm

My main concern with Bean or Fonz playing the 3 is defense. They both will have a hard time guarding quicker guys.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 30th, 2020, 5:58 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:

With the new international guys not being here yet, it's awfully hard to place them on a depth chart until they are able to see exactly who fits where.

I would say that the Bean/Anderson/Queta combo seems more situational at THIS point in time. A lot could change between now and late October.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » July 30th, 2020, 6:18 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 4:29 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:

F) Bean, Miller
F) Anderson, McChesney
Spot on.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 30th, 2020, 6:57 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 5:58 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:

With the new international guys not being here yet, it's awfully hard to place them on a depth chart until they are able to see exactly who fits where.

I would say that the Bean/Anderson/Queta combo seems more situational at THIS point in time. A lot could change between now and late October.
That’s how I see at as well. If you play bean out on the wing you reduce one of his greatest skills which is rebounding.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Real Life Aggie

AGGIEinIOWA

Depth chart predictions

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » July 30th, 2020, 9:27 pm

Personally I think the returning players will take the majority of the minutes, at least out of the gate. I don’t see many of the first year players getting big minutes until they earn Coach Smith’s trust in meaningful games (aka play defense and don’t turn the ball over).

Most of you have Miller down your depth chart a ways but I bet he’s a starter or at least 6th or 7th man for most the season. I expect a bounce back season from him. Fonz will also see the floor a lot, or at least he should, whether at the 3 or the 4. He is one of our capable scorers and we need his production.

Top minutes guys for the first part of the season:
Bean, Marco, Queta, Bairstow, Anderson, Miller, Liam, and Dorius. Kuba may get some time too but I think the coaches will play Dorius more.

The new guys will get some scattered minutes in exhibition (and practice) and whichever shows they are ready for this level will get an increasing roll and the others will redshirt. One or two of the freshmen guards/wings won’t redshirt (not sure which ones) and Zapala may not either.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » July 31st, 2020, 12:39 am

I agree. I think Miller begins as a starter, then moves down the list as the season goes along.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 31st, 2020, 5:50 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 12:39 am
I agree. I think Miller begins as a starter, then moves down the list as the season goes along.
I saw Miller drain a 3 in one of those practice videos :).

In all seriousness I really hope he improves his shooting this year. I think he can get near 40% 3s, just needs his confidence back.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » July 31st, 2020, 8:21 am

slcagg wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 5:50 am
Real Life Aggie wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 12:39 am
I saw Miller drain a 3 in one of those practice videos :).

In all seriousness I really hope he improves his shooting this year. I think he can get near 40% 3s, just needs his confidence back.
If he were able to shoot 40% from beyond the arc, I see him getting substantial minutes. He often gets blown by more athletic defenders (something the people calling the games commented on in the '18-19 and '19-20 games I've been rewatching), but he's much more persistent and gritty on his defense. He puts a lot into it. I was often one complaining about Brock's deficiencies last season, but going through old games, I've appreciated his efforts a lot more.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
slcaggBLUERUFiO

I am an Aggie Man

Post by I am an Aggie Man » July 31st, 2020, 9:33 am

I didn't see anyone post this, but Jon Rothstein did a MW power rankings/depth chart prediction a few days ago which is relevant here. This is the lineup he predicted for us.

G - Anthony
G - Miller
F - Anderson
F - Bean
C - Queta

He also gave a projected bench which I'm guessing is supposed to be in order of who gets more playing time. Here's the order he put them in: Zapala, Worster, Shulga, Bairstow, Dorius, McChesney, Ashworth, Vedischev.
These users thanked the author I am an Aggie Man for the post (total 2):
aggies22slcagg

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 31st, 2020, 9:42 am

I am an Aggie Man wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 9:33 am
I didn't see anyone post this, but Jon Rothstein did a MW power rankings/depth chart prediction a few days ago which is relevant here. This is the lineup he predicted for us.

G - Anthony
G - Miller
F - Anderson
F - Bean
C - Queta

He also gave a projected bench which I'm guessing is supposed to be in order of who gets more playing time. Here's the order he put them in: Zapala, Worster, Shulga, Bairstow, Dorius, McChesney, Ashworth, Vedischev.
Thanks for sharing. Can you share it?

I am an Aggie Man

Post by I am an Aggie Man » July 31st, 2020, 10:05 am

slcagg wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 9:42 am
I am an Aggie Man wrote:

G - Anthony
G - Miller
F - Anderson
F - Bean
C - Queta

Here's the link

https://collegehoopstoday.com/index.php ... breakdown/
slcaggaggies22

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » July 31st, 2020, 10:16 am

I am an Aggie Man wrote:

G - Anthony
G - Miller
F - Anderson
F - Bean
C - Queta

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's the starting lineup to start the year. I kind of hope it's not though, because if any of these newcomers (or Bairstow) are good enough to overtake some of those veterans, it bodes very well for us this year.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 2):
slcaggReal Life Aggie

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » July 31st, 2020, 11:08 am

I am an Aggie Man wrote:I didn't see anyone post this, but Jon Rothstein did a MW power rankings/depth chart prediction a few days ago which is relevant here. This is the lineup he predicted for us.

G - Anthony
G - Miller
F - Anderson
F - Bean
C - Queta

I agree with his starters. For bench order I see:
Bairstow(G), McChesney (F), Dorius (C), Zapala (F-C), Vedischev (G-F), Ashworth (G), Kuba (C)

Redshirts: Shulga, Worster, Stastny, Wickizer

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 31st, 2020, 11:51 am

I'm hearing that there is no way Ashworth redshirts. I think Ashworth will prove to be VERY slept on. Coming out of high school in his senior year, USA Today named an All-Utah team. It consisted of current Utah players Rylan Jones (also, Player of the Year) and Matt Van Kommen, Matt Bradley who went to California, James Nelson who ended up at Dixie State and Steven Ashworth. That's not horrible company.
Last edited by aggies22 on July 31st, 2020, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
slcaggReal Life Aggie

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » July 31st, 2020, 12:18 pm

I am an Aggie Man wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 10:05 am
slcagg wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 9:42 am
I am an Aggie Man wrote:

G - Anthony
G - Miller
F - Anderson
F - Bean
C - Queta

Here's the link

https://collegehoopstoday.com/index.php ... breakdown/
I only see a single MWC player listed as a 2020 NBA Draft Watch (Matt Mitchell - will go through NBA Draft process).

Is Rothstein underestimating the talent in the MW or is that reality?

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » July 31st, 2020, 12:24 pm

1: Bairstow, Ashworth
2: Marco, Bairstow, McChesney
3: Miller, McChesney / Bean
5: Queta, Zapala, Dorius, Kuba

This is my guess, note that all but Zapala and Ashworth are returning or coming off redshirts. I’m going off of what 22 has said about Ashworth, and the fact that I think he is our closest thing to a true point guard. I may have Zapala to high on the depth chart, but I’m hoping the hype is real. In reality he may struggle to stay ahead of Kuba and Dorius who have both given solid minutes though sparingly in the past.

The new guys will battle it out in practice and they could make it onto the court if they show well, but multiple redshirts should be in order unless they are too good to redshirt.

I have McChesney at the 2 and 3 just based off a Coach Smith comparison to KD. I don’t know if he would be able to stay in front of a MW caliber 2 on defense.

Lots of question marks make for an intriguing season. I’m hoping for a big leap from Bairstow and an as advertised Marco and McChesney.
These users thanked the author nswaggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22slcagg

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 31st, 2020, 12:33 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 11:51 am
I'm hearing that there is no way Ashworth redshirts. I thing Ashworth will prove to be VERY slept on. Coming out of high school in his senior year, USA Today named an All-Utah team. It consisted of current Utah players Rylan Jones (also, Player of the Year) and Matt Van Kommen, Matt Bradley who went to California, James Nelson who ended up at Dixie State and Steven Ashworth. That's not horrible company.
Boom. 22 bomb.

Btw I think that a key to this season is one of the freshman coming in and being able to be a very solid contributor. This is great news.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
aggies22Chod

I am an Aggie Man

Post by I am an Aggie Man » July 31st, 2020, 9:35 pm

aggies22 wrote:
I'm hearing that there is no way Ashworth redshirts. I think Ashworth will prove to be VERY slept on. Coming out of high school in his senior year, USA Today named an All-Utah team. It consisted of current Utah players Rylan Jones (also, Player of the Year) and Matt Van Kommen, Matt Bradley who went to California, James Nelson who ended up at Dixie State and Steven Ashworth. That's not horrible company.
Having gone back and watched some Lone Peak games, I 100% agree that Ashworth has been slept on in talks about who plays at guard this season. He embodies GATA, is a skilled offensive player and could be a pest on defense despite limited physical attributes.
aggies22slcagg

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » July 31st, 2020, 9:56 pm

I am an Aggie Man wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Having gone back and watched some Lone Peak games, I 100% agree that Ashworth has been slept on in talks about who plays at guard this season. He embodies GATA, is a skilled offensive player and could be a pest on defense despite limited physical attributes.
I see a little resemblance of Steve Nash in his game. Let’s hope!
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
slcagg

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 31st, 2020, 9:59 pm

I am an Aggie Man wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 9:35 pm
aggies22 wrote:

I’ve only watched highlights. But what are your thoughts on his speed and athleticism?

SLB

Post by SLB » July 31st, 2020, 10:13 pm

I am an Aggie Man wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Honestly after watching the highlights, I feel the starters will be Anthony, Ashworth, McChesney, Bean, and Queta. Ashworth like Merrill a few years ago is too good to redshirt.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
Real Life Aggie

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » July 31st, 2020, 10:31 pm

Ashworth was the best player on just possibly the best team Utah ever produced.

If not this season, then next. Kid is gonna be something.

I hope it's this season, if not right off, then at least by mid year.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

elcheque2

Post by elcheque2 » July 31st, 2020, 10:57 pm

elcheque2 wrote:1. Ashworth(20), Bairstow(15), Anthony(5)
2. Anthony(30), Bairstow(10)
3. Miller(20), Anderson(10), Mcchesney(10)
4. Bean(25), Anderson(15)
5. Queta(25), Karwowski(15)

Before you mock me for putting Ashworth in the starting line up, recall that Smith started Ainge for half a season when Ainge had no business even sniffing the floor. The difference between Ainge and Ashworth is pretty stark though. If Ashworth ends up redshirting then swap him out for Shulga.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Hate to toot my own flute, but...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author elcheque2 for the post:
aggies22

I am an Aggie Man

Post by I am an Aggie Man » July 31st, 2020, 11:49 pm

slcagg wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 9:59 pm
I am an Aggie Man wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

I’ve only watched highlights. But what are your thoughts on his speed and athleticism?
He's easily the quickest of the incoming guards and his top end speed is pretty nice too. It's actually one of the things that really encouraged me the most because it put to bed a few of my concerns over his size. Bigger guards can bully him, but I doubt guys will be able to beat him with speed or quickness and he will in turn be able to use his speed as a weapon. I think we could see Smith utilize Ashworth a lot off-ball on offense, coming around screens for handoffs for 3-pointers or leading into other actions because defenders will have a heck of a time keeping up with Ashworth's speed and high motor.

As for athleticism, he is unfortunately lacking, but I don't think that's a huge deal for a pass-first point guard. Having it would obviously be a positive, but I don't consider Ashworth's lack of athletic prowess much of a negative.
These users thanked the author I am an Aggie Man for the post:
slcagg

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 1st, 2020, 6:00 am

I am an Aggie Man wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 11:49 pm
slcagg wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 9:59 pm
I am an Aggie Man wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

He's easily the quickest of the incoming guards and his top end speed is pretty nice too. It's actually one of the things that really encouraged me the most because it put to bed a few of my concerns over his size. Bigger guards can bully him, but I doubt guys will be able to beat him with speed or quickness and he will in turn be able to use his speed as a weapon. I think we could see Smith utilize Ashworth a lot off-ball on offense, coming around screens for handoffs for 3-pointers or leading into other actions because defenders will have a heck of a time keeping up with Ashworth's speed and high motor.

As for athleticism, he is unfortunately lacking, but I don't think that's a huge deal for a pass-first point guard. Having it would obviously be a positive, but I don't consider Ashworth's lack of athletic prowess much of a negative.
Wow great write-up! Any former pg he might remind you of a bit?

I agree speed is a huge deal for someone at his position.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » August 1st, 2020, 8:54 am

USU78 wrote:Ashworth was the best player on just possibly the best team Utah ever produced.

The best team Utah has ever produced ??

I live in Lone Peak boundaries, and watched a ton of his games. The team wasn’t even that good. A better way to look at It would be he led a mediocre team to the state championship.

I know I’m not a talent evaluator, but I’m a little surprised at his hype he’s getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stucki

Post by Stucki » August 1st, 2020, 9:57 am

The Mika, Haws, Emery, Toolson, Shumway team was by far the better Lone Peak and probably the best team ever in the state.

Hail the Utah Aggies!

bullshot

Post by bullshot » August 1st, 2020, 12:05 pm

How is Ashworth quick and fast but not very athletic? Does not really compute (unless he is weak and can’t jump)
These users thanked the author bullshot for the post (total 2):
Aggie in BoiseBustaMcNutt

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » August 1st, 2020, 12:19 pm

bullshot wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 12:05 pm
How is Ashworth quick and fast but not very athletic? Does not really compute (unless he is weak and can’t jump)
Good question as speed is a component of athleticism.

"The media is not your friend.” CNN anchor Chris Cuomo

"We choose truth over facts." Joe Biden

I am an Aggie Man

Post by I am an Aggie Man » August 1st, 2020, 3:43 pm

bullshot wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 12:05 pm
I should have specified that I view speed, quickness and athleticism as three separate, though obviously related, traits. Athleticism is probably the only one of those three I'd struggle to put into words as far as my own definition but generally leaping ability is part of it and that's at least one place where Ashworth falls short (no pun intended).

USU78

Post by USU78 » August 1st, 2020, 5:27 pm

Stucki wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 9:57 am
The Mika, Haws, Emery, Toolson, Shumway team was by far the better Lone Peak and probably the best team ever in the state.
That's a good argument.

Who did they beat in national competition is, imnsho, a better one.

USU78

Post by USU78 » August 1st, 2020, 5:28 pm

2004AG wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 8:54 am
USU78 wrote:Ashworth was the best player on just possibly the best team Utah ever produced.

The best team Utah has ever produced ??

I live in Lone Peak boundaries, and watched a ton of his games. The team wasn’t even that good. A better way to look at It would be he led a mediocre team to the state championship.

I know I’m not a talent evaluator, but I’m a little surprised at his hype he’s getting.
See my response to Stucki.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic