In case our spud friend from Nevada is bored tonight

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

In case our spud friend from Nevada is bored tonight

Post by slcagg » May 21st, 2020, 1:00 pm

🔥☄️🚀🌋. Sweet Caroline! 😁

slcagg

Re: In case our spud friend from Nevada is bored tonight

Post by slcagg » May 21st, 2020, 1:01 pm

Sorry couldn’t find a fire hydrant emoji.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » May 21st, 2020, 1:14 pm

I watched the game again following its triumph in voting here on the boards, and heard the commentators talking about how Miller was on a cold shooting streak. Part of me was surprised because my recollection had been that he'd been a good shooter that year, then off-season happened and stuff hit the fan. Turns out, I was wrong about that.

nvspuds
Has thanked: 0

Post by nvspuds » May 21st, 2020, 1:30 pm

I probably won't watch the replay but I don't feel bad about the outcome.

I believe that over the years NV and USU have played 26 games in Logan and you Bags have won 21 of those games. You had a very good team and Nevada had a very good team. The home court tends to help most teams. It was a good game. The only really unexpected result would have been had you lost.

It did not wreck anybody's season. Nevada went on to lose a couple more games but got an at large. The loss to the Ag's was not considered a bad loss and the Pack remained in the top 10 for awhile after the game. They still earned an at large bid.

I understand that you folks value this game because you feel it really put you on the map. That is fair. I have to be honest, though. If I was to compile a list of my favorite games the Pack has been in over my long years on the planet, the games against Utah State would not be ones I would consider.

My number one favorite is beating Kansas in Lawrence. That was pretty cool.
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 2):
USU78Real Life Aggie

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » May 21st, 2020, 1:54 pm

nvspuds wrote:I probably won't watch the replay but I don't feel bad about the outcome.

I believe that over the years NV and USU have played 26 games in Logan and you Bags have won 21 of those games. You had a very good team and Nevada had a very good team. The home court tends to help most teams. It was a good game. The only really unexpected result would have been had you lost.

It did not wreck anybody's season. Nevada went on to lose a couple more games but got an at large. The loss to the Ag's was not considered a bad loss and the Pack remained in the top 10 for awhile after the game. They still earned an at large bid.

I understand that you folks value this game because you feel it really put you on the map. That is fair. I have to be honest, though. If I was to compile a list of my favorite games the Pack has been in over my long years on the planet, the games against Utah State would not be ones I would consider.

My number one favorite is beating Kansas in Lawrence. That was pretty cool.
I would say it put us BACK on the map maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » May 21st, 2020, 1:57 pm

slcagg wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 1:01 pm
Sorry couldn’t find a fire hydrant emoji.

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

ususports

Post by ususports » May 21st, 2020, 9:28 pm

nvspuds wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 1:30 pm
I have to be honest, though. If I was to compile a list of my favorite games the Pack has been in over my long years on the planet, the games against Utah State would not be ones I would consider.
Not surprising since Nevada usually chokes in the close games against USU. Since you haven’t experienced it, let me tell you something special. When your team is on the winning side of exciting games, they are actually quite enjoyable. ;)

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » May 21st, 2020, 9:43 pm

ususports wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 9:28 pm
nvspuds wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 1:30 pm
I have to be honest, though. If I was to compile a list of my favorite games the Pack has been in over my long years on the planet, the games against Utah State would not be ones I would consider.
Not surprising since Nevada usually chokes in the close games against USU. Since you haven’t experienced it, let me tell you something special. When your team is on the winning side of exciting games, they are actually quite enjoyable. ;)
I think Spuds is well aware and accustomed to UNR winning exciting games. And probably can act like he's been there before when it happens.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 21st, 2020, 9:51 pm

I am not sure there have been all that many close games. I think USU has won a lot more games in the series than Nevada. That is cool. I don't recall many Pack wins, if any, in the Big West years.

I don't see the teams as serious basketball rivals on a level like the Pack has with UNLV. USU is usually good and a fairly regular contender whereas Nevada runs hot and cold.

However, I have enjoyed the games win or lose. My point about not viewing wins against USU as the ones I value the most has nothing to do with a lack of respect for you Bags.

Other than UNLV, in all things, I don't see conference games in the same light as wins against schools NV doesn't play all the time.

The Pack has had some big games with really fine programs where they didn't choke. Nevada had never really been known for their basketball program until the early 2000's. This is all fairly new. But even with this rather recent stretch a lot of my favorite games happened years ago. Long before we ever shared a conference.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » May 21st, 2020, 9:54 pm

Well I was there.
First b-ball game I brought my son to Logan to.
The fire extinguisher, racist claims, your bs coach and his bs wife.
It all added up to an amazing night!

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 21st, 2020, 9:58 pm

I am not disputing that it was an enjoyable win for you guys. I am sorry it just wasn't a significant gut punch to me. It was a good game. Win some lose some.
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » May 21st, 2020, 10:02 pm

nvspuds wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 9:58 pm
I am not disputing that it was an enjoyable win for you guys. I am sorry it just wasn't a significant gut punch to me. It was a good game. Win some lose some.
It was a fire extinguisher punch to be precise.
I get your point.
You guys were ranked and we weren’t.
Winning the MWC championship was actually more memorable to me.
And getting SDSU’s scalp in the championship game both times was priceless.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 21st, 2020, 10:05 pm

All of those wins were significant for you. I never questioned that.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 21st, 2020, 10:12 pm

That night had a lot of emotion for everyone.

However nvspuds is a fantastic member of the board and hopefully by posting the note that this was happening tonight he doesn’t get too much grief from it. Just some good ole ribbing. Nevada I believe earlier that season beat usu by like 30.

ususports

Post by ususports » May 21st, 2020, 10:17 pm

nvspuds wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 10:05 pm
All of those wins were significant for you. I never questioned that.
It was a simple joke. I thought the wink emoji was a good hint.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 21st, 2020, 10:24 pm

I don't mind the jawing. All fine.

I like this board and you have remained by far the most active during this lockdown. I stop by a lot to check out the recruiting thread. Now I will have to see what's up with NV recruiting.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score

Post by QuackAttackAggie » May 21st, 2020, 10:31 pm

nvspuds wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 10:24 pm
I don't mind the jawing. All fine.

I like this board and you have remained by far the most active during this lockdown. I stop by a lot to check out the recruiting thread. Now I will have to see what's up with NV recruiting.
What happened to the Nevada board? I remember an active blue and silver board during the wac days but it seemed dead this season.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 21st, 2020, 10:34 pm

Mugtang used to run it and it was great..He sold it to someone else and now he has the MWC board. I think 247 actually runs the Nevada board now. It will perk back up again but it is a little slow now fer schizzel.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » May 21st, 2020, 10:56 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 10:02 pm
nvspuds wrote:
I get your point.
Bruh, why are you giving nvspuds so much grief? He's really nice and respectful, and UNR is a good school. I've never had a problem with the fans... mostly. And the one instance where I DID have a problem with a fan was really my fault because of excessive heckling when I was in Reno (though AJ West was a real whiner... even his teammates were getting sick of it).

I digress. We beat UNR in a big game when they were a better team. It happens. It didn't erase an excellent year for them, much like SDSU's loss to UNLV didn't ruin their season. He has a different view of Musselman and (IIRC) a positive interaction with Mrs. Musselman. We don't need to beat him over the head with our side of things.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0aggieguy13

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 22nd, 2020, 12:32 am

Watching USU and Nevada battle when Marcellus Kemp and Jaycee Carroll were trading baskets made for some entertaining basketball games.

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » May 22nd, 2020, 10:31 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 10:56 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
nvspuds wrote:
I get your point.
Bruh, why are you giving nvspuds so much grief? He's really nice and respectful, and UNR is a good school. I've never had a problem with the fans... mostly. And the one instance where I DID have a problem with a fan was really my fault because of excessive heckling when I was in Reno (though AJ West was a real whiner... even his teammates were getting sick of it).

I digress. We beat UNR in a big game when they were a better team. It happens. It didn't erase an excellent year for them, much like SDSU's loss to UNLV didn't ruin their season. He has a different view of Musselman and (IIRC) a positive interaction with Mrs. Musselman. We don't need to beat him over the head with our side of things.
Tough, but fair.

Incidentally, do you remember that random Nevada fan at the St. Mary's game in Moraga that started jawing at us after the game? That was weird.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » May 22nd, 2020, 10:53 am

aggieguy13 wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 10:31 am
Real Life Aggie wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
nvspuds wrote:
I get your point.

Tough, but fair.

Incidentally, do you remember that random Nevada fan at the St. Mary's game in Moraga that started jawing at us after the game? That was weird.
Yeah, I'm glad I wasn't alone at that game in Reno...

Nevada fan in Moraga? I don't recall that. I remember the random Aggie who actually lived in Moraga. And I remember the two girls trying to garner interest from you and Brian, but you both were too focused on the game to notice :lol: (rightfully so!). However, I don't recall the Nevada fan.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
aggieguy13

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 22nd, 2020, 11:07 am

On a completely unrelated note. I went to the Super Bowl between the 49ers and the Bengals in Detroit. We sat right in the middle of the 10 thousand or so Niners fans wearing red and gold. Sitting right behind me was a young guy who was wearing Bengal stuff and he had also painted stripes on his face to look like a bengal. It was the only ticket he could get. He was a really good dude but I have never seen more muted cheering in all my born days..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post:
Real Life Aggie

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » May 22nd, 2020, 11:35 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 10:53 am
aggieguy13 wrote:
Real Life Aggie wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
nvspuds wrote:
I get your point.

Tough, but fair.

Nevada fan in Moraga? I don't recall that. I remember the random Aggie who actually lived in Moraga. And I remember the two girls trying to garner interest from you and Brian, but you both were too focused on the game to notice :lol: (rightfully so!). However, I don't recall the Nevada fan.
Yeah, there was a guy in a Nevada hoodie who started trash talking us after the game, telling us we would lose in the conference tourney, all that stuff. I thought he was joking at first but slowly realized he was serious. He probably could have used a quick pit stop at the Winnemucca Wal-Mart to relieve some tension, if you know what I mean.
These users thanked the author aggieguy13 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » May 22nd, 2020, 11:55 am

aggieguy13 wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 11:35 am
Real Life Aggie wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 10:53 am
aggieguy13 wrote:
Real Life Aggie wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
nvspuds wrote:
I get your point.

Tough, but fair.

Yeah, there was a guy in a Nevada hoodie who started trash talking us after the game, telling us we would lose in the conference tourney, all that stuff. I thought he was joking at first but slowly realized he was serious. He probably could have used a quick pit stop at the Winnemucca Wal-Mart to relieve some tension, if you know what I mean.
OH yeah.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
aggieguy13

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic