Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB
Posts: 2786
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 187 times
Been thanked: 330 times

Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by SLB » April 16th, 2020, 11:21 pm

McChesney
Worster
Ashworth
John
Anthony



QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score
Posts: 15742
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:08 pm
Location: 서울
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 564 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by QuackAttackAggie » April 16th, 2020, 11:27 pm

McChesney plays
Worster plays, at least in scrimmage
Ashworth plays, at least in scrimmage
John plays, at least in scrimmage
Anthony starts



slcagg
Posts: 4496
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 552 times
Been thanked: 573 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by slcagg » April 17th, 2020, 7:47 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 11:27 pm
McChesney plays
Worster plays, at least in scrimmage
Ashworth plays, at least in scrimmage
John plays, at least in scrimmage
Anthony starts
Prediction: If we don’t get a solid transfer guard, then Worster starts and averages close to double digits.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5396
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 383 times
Been thanked: 652 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 17th, 2020, 8:20 am

slcagg wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 7:47 am
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 11:27 pm
McChesney plays
Worster plays, at least in scrimmage
Ashworth plays, at least in scrimmage
John plays, at least in scrimmage
Anthony starts
Prediction: If we don’t get a solid transfer guard, then Worster starts and averages close to double digits.
That is a bold prediction for sure. I feel confident that if we don't, the lineup would be Anthony, Bairstow, Miller, Bean, Queta.



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 1071
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 1149 times
Been thanked: 476 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 17th, 2020, 9:18 am

Ashworth redshirt?



slcagg
Posts: 4496
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 552 times
Been thanked: 573 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by slcagg » April 18th, 2020, 4:24 pm



I know competition is pretty weak but that is pretty dang athletic.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Real Life Aggie



slcagg
Posts: 4496
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 552 times
Been thanked: 573 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by slcagg » April 19th, 2020, 7:40 am

There has been discussion about ashworth going and performing well at the national tournament his senior year. Check out the other guys who were named on the all tournament team with him. The lowest performer thus far was a double digit scorer at Florida as a sophomore last year. (One underclassmen who just signed with Florida state as high 4 star). Pretty darn good company. Could we be under valuing ashworth a bit?








JonnyCienPesos
Posts: 2323
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 6:21 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 150 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by JonnyCienPesos » April 19th, 2020, 8:38 am

slcagg wrote:There has been discussion about ashworth going and performing well at the national tournament his senior year. Check out the other guys who were named on the all tournament team with him. The lowest performer thus far was a double digit scorer at Florida as a sophomore last year. (One underclassmen who just signed with Florida state as high 4 star). Pretty darn good company. Could we be under valuing ashworth a bit?





Yes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
Real Life Aggie


I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Blitz79
Posts: 1269
Joined: January 16th, 2011, 8:11 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by Blitz79 » April 19th, 2020, 11:52 am

The way it's looking we will need Ashworth sooner rather than later. Hope he comes back hungry and puts lots of work in.



SLB
Posts: 2786
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 187 times
Been thanked: 330 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by SLB » April 19th, 2020, 12:08 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 11:52 am
The way it's looking we will need Ashworth sooner rather than later. Hope he comes back hungry and puts lots of work in.
Looks like that this is the case.
I would not be surprised even with a grad transfer that the starting lineup is Anthony, Worster, Ashworth, Bean, and Queta.



Yossarian
Posts: 3309
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 367 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by Yossarian » April 19th, 2020, 12:45 pm

SLB wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 12:08 pm
Blitz79 wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 11:52 am
The way it's looking we will need Ashworth sooner rather than later. Hope he comes back hungry and puts lots of work in.
Looks like that this is the case.
I would not be surprised even with a grad transfer that the starting lineup is Anthony, Worster, Ashworth, Bean, and Queta.
That makes for a solid second unit of Anderson, Bairstow, Miller, McChesney, and John. Plus Kuba and Dorius. Not a lot of battle tested experience, but the makings of a solid team. I hope there is basketball next year



Dkdavis
Posts: 159
Joined: January 28th, 2019, 7:51 pm
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by Dkdavis » April 19th, 2020, 3:26 pm

Was Steven Ashworth recruited by Smith?



slcagg
Posts: 4496
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 552 times
Been thanked: 573 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by slcagg » April 19th, 2020, 3:51 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 3:26 pm
Was Steven Ashworth recruited by Smith?
Signed by duryea in the fall of his senior year and thus following spring duryea was let go. So smith was hired in the spring of his senior year.



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 1071
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 1149 times
Been thanked: 476 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 19th, 2020, 4:46 pm

I'm pretty high on Worster and Ashworth (and John!), but I often get overly hyped about recruits. I mean, I was PUMPED for Bairstow and McChesney, and I'm still rooting for lots of extra Bairstow minutes, but they weren't all I'd made them out to be in my mind.

I have a hard time aligning my expectations of recruits with their actual impact right from the start.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0IdaAg93



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9525
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4624 times
Been thanked: 2804 times
Contact:

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by aggies22 » April 19th, 2020, 11:12 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 3:51 pm
Dkdavis wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 3:26 pm
Was Steven Ashworth recruited by Smith?
Signed by duryea in the fall of his senior year and thus following spring duryea was let go. So smith was hired in the spring of his senior year.
This coaching staff is VERY excited about Steven Ashworth.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 5):
Real Life AggieslcaggSLBWillCut72IdaAg93



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 14437
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 243 times
Been thanked: 572 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by brownjeans » April 19th, 2020, 11:39 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 11:12 pm
slcagg wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 3:51 pm
Dkdavis wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 3:26 pm
Was Steven Ashworth recruited by Smith?
Signed by duryea in the fall of his senior year and thus following spring duryea was let go. So smith was hired in the spring of his senior year.
This coaching staff is VERY excited about Steven Ashworth.
Is he home?



slcagg
Posts: 4496
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 552 times
Been thanked: 573 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by slcagg » April 20th, 2020, 5:45 am

brownjeans wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 11:39 pm
aggies22 wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 11:12 pm
slcagg wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 3:51 pm
Dkdavis wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 3:26 pm
Was Steven Ashworth recruited by Smith?
Signed by duryea in the fall of his senior year and thus following spring duryea was let go. So smith was hired in the spring of his senior year.
This coaching staff is VERY excited about Steven Ashworth.
Is he home?
I think he left in the summer of 2018. So if he isn’t home he will be very soon.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9525
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4624 times
Been thanked: 2804 times
Contact:

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by aggies22 » April 20th, 2020, 7:47 am

McChesney - Will play major minutes
Worster - possibly redshirt
Ashworth - likely redshirt
John - I think they'll redshirt him IF, IF they can get away with it
Anthony - Will be a starter
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggieIdaAg93



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 1071
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 1149 times
Been thanked: 476 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 20th, 2020, 7:56 am

aggies22 wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 7:47 am
McChesney - Will play major minutes
Worster - possibly redshirt
Ashworth - likely redshirt
John - I think they'll redshirt him IF, IF they can get away with it
Anthony - Will be a starter
Right now at the 5 we have Queta, Kuba, and Dorius. Are there concerns that we might have one leave, or is it more we'll see how they develop in the off-season?



slcagg
Posts: 4496
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 552 times
Been thanked: 573 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by slcagg » April 20th, 2020, 9:47 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 7:56 am
aggies22 wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 7:47 am
McChesney - Will play major minutes
Worster - possibly redshirt
Ashworth - likely redshirt
John - I think they'll redshirt him IF, IF they can get away with it
Anthony - Will be a starter
Right now at the 5 we have Queta, Kuba, and Dorius. Are there concerns that we might have one leave, or is it more we'll see how they develop in the off-season?
Don’t forget klay stall!



bpd
Posts: 1075
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by bpd » April 20th, 2020, 9:49 am

The Freshman will not start and I don't see any freshman playing over 15-20 minutes a game.



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 1071
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 1149 times
Been thanked: 476 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 20th, 2020, 9:52 am

slcagg wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 9:47 am
Real Life Aggie wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 7:56 am
aggies22 wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 7:47 am
McChesney - Will play major minutes
Worster - possibly redshirt
Ashworth - likely redshirt
John - I think they'll redshirt him IF, IF they can get away with it
Anthony - Will be a starter
Right now at the 5 we have Queta, Kuba, and Dorius. Are there concerns that we might have one leave, or is it more we'll see how they develop in the off-season?
Don’t forget klay stall!
I didn't forget him, but I didn't include him on purpose... :)
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22SLB



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9525
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4624 times
Been thanked: 2804 times
Contact:

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by aggies22 » April 20th, 2020, 9:53 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 7:56 am
aggies22 wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 7:47 am
McChesney - Will play major minutes
Worster - possibly redshirt
Ashworth - likely redshirt
John - I think they'll redshirt him IF, IF they can get away with it
Anthony - Will be a starter
Right now at the 5 we have Queta, Kuba, and Dorius. Are there concerns that we might have one leave, or is it more we'll see how they develop in the off-season?
As far as I know, there are no concerns about anyone leaving. My prediction regarding Nigel is more about waiting until he gets here to see just how good he is? And is he going to get enough minutes to warrant NOT redshirting if he isn't going to get 15 or more minutes per game, he should sit in my opinion.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Real Life Aggie



slcagg
Posts: 4496
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 552 times
Been thanked: 573 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by slcagg » April 22nd, 2020, 8:54 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 7:47 am
McChesney - Will play major minutes
Worster - possibly redshirt
Ashworth - likely redshirt
John - I think they'll redshirt him IF, IF they can get away with it
Anthony - Will be a starter
In what role do you see mcchesney fitting in next year?



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 14437
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 243 times
Been thanked: 572 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by brownjeans » April 22nd, 2020, 10:48 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 8:54 pm
aggies22 wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 7:47 am
McChesney - Will play major minutes
Worster - possibly redshirt
Ashworth - likely redshirt
John - I think they'll redshirt him IF, IF they can get away with it
Anthony - Will be a starter
In what role do you see mcchesney fitting in next year?
Hopefully the role of a player who makes open shots - we really need that role.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
usufan1



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9525
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4624 times
Been thanked: 2804 times
Contact:

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by aggies22 » April 22nd, 2020, 10:53 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 8:54 pm
aggies22 wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 7:47 am
McChesney - Will play major minutes
Worster - possibly redshirt
Ashworth - likely redshirt
John - I think they'll redshirt him IF, IF they can get away with it
Anthony - Will be a starter
In what role do you see mcchesney fitting in next year?
I think he could see time as a stretch 4 or at the 3.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
Real Life AggieSLBslcaggusufan1



aggietime
Posts: 121
Joined: January 15th, 2011, 9:46 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by aggietime » April 23rd, 2020, 5:22 am

It doesn't seem like this coaching staff utiluzes redshirts as much as we're used to seeing at USU historically. I know McChesney did last year...has anyone else the last 2 years who wasn't required to? That isn't a bad thing in my mind - with the number of D-1 transfers each year it makes sense to play guys while you've got them and let them keep the redshirt for if they transfer.



SLB
Posts: 2786
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 187 times
Been thanked: 330 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by SLB » April 23rd, 2020, 5:31 am

aggies22 wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 10:53 pm
slcagg wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 8:54 pm
aggies22 wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 7:47 am
McChesney - Will play major minutes
Worster - possibly redshirt
Ashworth - likely redshirt
John - I think they'll redshirt him IF, IF they can get away with it
Anthony - Will be a starter
In what role do you see mcchesney fitting in next year?
I think he could see time as a stretch 4 or at the 3.
I was thinking the same thing after watching highlights again.



User avatar
IdaAg93
Posts: 1474
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:30 am
Location: SE Idaho...a perfect distance from the hive.
Has thanked: 327 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by IdaAg93 » April 24th, 2020, 6:07 pm

aggies22 wrote:McChesney - Will play major minutes
Worster - possibly redshirt
Ashworth - likely redshirt
John - I think they'll redshirt him IF, IF they can get away with it
Anthony - Will be a starter
McChesney’s frame concerns me. I really don’t see him contributing until his junior year. He’s got a lot of physical development to do. Thoughts?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



slcagg
Posts: 4496
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 552 times
Been thanked: 573 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by slcagg » April 24th, 2020, 6:31 pm

IdaAg93 wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 6:07 pm
aggies22 wrote:McChesney - Will play major minutes
Worster - possibly redshirt
Ashworth - likely redshirt
John - I think they'll redshirt him IF, IF they can get away with it
Anthony - Will be a starter
McChesney’s frame concerns me. I really don’t see him contributing until his junior year. He’s got a lot of physical development to do. Thoughts?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You may be right. However there have been guys with similar lanky frames and skill types that have done well in the league. Think of the McDaniels kid from SDSU or hipsters favorite lady player from Boise state (Alston).



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 1071
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 1149 times
Been thanked: 476 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 24th, 2020, 6:32 pm

IdaAg93 wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 6:07 pm
aggies22 wrote:McChesney - Will play major minutes
Worster - possibly redshirt
Ashworth - likely redshirt
John - I think they'll redshirt him IF, IF they can get away with it
Anthony - Will be a starter
McChesney’s frame concerns me. I really don’t see him contributing until his junior year. He’s got a lot of physical development to do. Thoughts?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If he's playing more 3 (given his apparent shooting talent), he can grow into a more physical role while contributing in a good way. His height will help significantly in that role, right? But, he looks one hard foul away from breaking in half...
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
IdaAg93



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 14437
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 243 times
Been thanked: 572 times

Re: Any predictions on the new players/players who redshirted last season

Post by brownjeans » April 24th, 2020, 6:55 pm

IdaAg93 wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 6:07 pm
aggies22 wrote:McChesney - Will play major minutes
Worster - possibly redshirt
Ashworth - likely redshirt
John - I think they'll redshirt him IF, IF they can get away with it
Anthony - Will be a starter
McChesney’s frame concerns me. I really don’t see him contributing until his junior year. He’s got a lot of physical development to do. Thoughts?
I thought the same thing about Durant going to the NBA. I thought, he'll never be a great player, too slight, too weak (couldn't bench 185 lbs). Strength used to be vitally important in high-level basketball. It's still a great asset, but it's not what it used to be. If you can shoot, you can play.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
aggies22IdaAg93



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic