Women's Hoops

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Women's Hoops

Post by aggies22 » March 23rd, 2020, 10:27 am

I'm hearing that the new Head Coach will be Kayla Ard who has been the Associate Head Coach at the University of Denver.
Last edited by aggies22 on March 23rd, 2020, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

NavyBlueAggie

Re: Women's Hoops

Post by NavyBlueAggie » March 23rd, 2020, 10:45 am

Credentials...compensation package...outlook? Thanks in advance 22.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 23rd, 2020, 10:52 am

Cool, good to see the previous coaching staff (head coach and son) gonzo

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Has thanked: 0

Post by Floppy Hat » March 23rd, 2020, 11:32 am

I believe she was an assistant coach at Troy at the same time Hartwell was there. This will be her first head coaching experience, but she has been part of some promising programs.
These users thanked the author Floppy Hat for the post:
aggies22

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 23rd, 2020, 11:47 am

Does this thread belong in the sandbox?
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
sstrasser

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » March 23rd, 2020, 1:22 pm

ViAggie wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 10:52 am
From a W/L, program trajectory standpoint...maybe. But it seems that this is somehow a more personal issue for you (and others). The Finkbeiners are good people. I think they were/are good coaches. They have lived and breathed Aggie Blue for the last ?? years. I am going to miss them as a part of Aggie athletics, and as a part of our community. Thanks to them and their coaching staffs for all they did for USU and Aggie Athletics.

That said, I recognize that sometimes changes are needed. I support Mr. Hartwell and am excited for the Ard era to begin.
Best of luck to the Aggie Women's Basketballers moving forward. Go Aggies!
These users thanked the author ShowMeAggie for the post:
TheAKAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 23rd, 2020, 1:27 pm

Glad to see a Woman back at the helm, best of luck to the Finkbeiners, hopefully the health issues subside and they land on their feet.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 2):
ShowMeAggieusufan1

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

BigBlue97

Post by BigBlue97 » March 23rd, 2020, 2:04 pm

ShowMeAggie wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 1:22 pm
ViAggie wrote:
From a W/L, program trajectory standpoint...maybe. But it seems that this is somehow a more personal issue for you (and others). The Finkbeiners are good people. I think they were/are good coaches. They have lived and breathed Aggie Blue for the last ?? years. I am going to miss them as a part of Aggie athletics, and as a part of our community. Thanks to them and their coaching staffs for all they did for USU and Aggie Athletics.

That said, I recognize that sometimes changes are needed. I support Mr. Hartwell and am excited for the Ard era to begin.
I am sure the Finkbeiners are good people but neither one of them is a good coach. I worked on the scores table from 2005 until this last season and personally saw the program go down hill from the time Finkbeiner took over. He never held the players accountable, he played his favorites. For example he had a point guard from Australia and she was not very good, she would turn the ball over 3 or 4 times in a row and he would never say anything to her and wouldn't even take her out of the game. He spent way to much time and money recruiting international players. He could have found just as good of players within a 1000 mile radius of campus. I think you have to recruit some local players within 500 miles to get people to show up. But we all know that winning solves a lot of attendance problems. That is my take on it. I just want the women's team to be successful and win.
These users thanked the author BigBlue97 for the post (total 3):
aggies22oleblu111ProvoAggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 23rd, 2020, 3:29 pm

BigBlue97 wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 2:04 pm
ShowMeAggie wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 1:22 pm
ViAggie wrote:

I am sure the Finkbeiners are good people but neither one of them is a good coach. I worked on the scores table from 2005 until this last season and personally saw the program go down hill from the time Finkbeiner took over. He never held the players accountable, he played his favorites. For example he had a point guard from Australia and she was not very good, she would turn the ball over 3 or 4 times in a row and he would never say anything to her and wouldn't even take her out of the game. He spent way to much time and money recruiting international players. He could have found just as good of players within a 1000 mile radius of campus. I think you have to recruit some local players within 500 miles to get people to show up. But we all know that winning solves a lot of attendance problems. That is my take on it. I just want the women's team to be successful and win.
Solid first post my Aggie brother.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 23rd, 2020, 3:40 pm

Here is the problem. No one really cares who the coach is and how the team does. I wish the women’s team a success simply because it represents USU. Although I’m an avid Aggie men’s basketball and football fan and devoted to my alma mater I’ve never watched a women’s game and only occasionally look to see how the team is doing. Can posters here name even one member of the women’s team? I can’t. Perhaps if there was a winning tradition I would feel differently. But right now I’m meh. We can plug in a new coach and if he/she does well they’ll be poached and we’ll start over again. If they do poorly they’ll be fired and we’ll start over again. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

And at the end of the day Hartwell will be able to check the box that says we are satisfying NCAA Title IX requirements. It seems all we are looking for is a coach who won’t embarrass the program either record-wise or conduct-wise. Otherwise, he’ll be satisfied. We won’t commit the necessary funds or resources to the program to be anything more than a bottom-tier MWC program.

I’m sorry for being a Debby-Downer.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » March 23rd, 2020, 4:11 pm

utaggies wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 3:40 pm
Here is the problem. No one really cares who the coach is and how the team does. I wish the women’s team a success simply because it represents USU. Although I’m an avid Aggie men’s basketball and football fan and devoted to my alma mater I’ve never watched a women’s game and only occasionally look to see how the team is doing. Can posters here name even one member of the women’s team? I can’t. Perhaps if there was a winning tradition I would feel differently. But right now I’m meh. We can plug in a new coach and if he/she does well they’ll be poached and we’ll start over again. If they do poorly they’ll be fired and we’ll start over again. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

And at the end of the day Hartwell will be able to check the box that says we are satisfying NCAA Title IX requirements. It seems all we are looking for is a coach who won’t embarrass the program either record-wise or conduct-wise. Otherwise, he’ll be satisfied. We won’t commit the necessary funds or resources to the program to be anything more than a bottom-tier MWC program.

I can name several of them they are good kids,
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
newtonianblue

stang

Post by stang » March 23rd, 2020, 5:31 pm

utaggies wrote:Here is the problem. No one really cares who the coach is and how the team does. I wish the women’s team a success simply because it represents USU. Although I’m an avid Aggie men’s basketball and football fan and devoted to my alma mater I’ve never watched a women’s game and only occasionally look to see how the team is doing. Can posters here name even one member of the women’s team? I can’t. Perhaps if there was a winning tradition I would feel differently. But right now I’m meh. We can plug in a new coach and if he/she does well they’ll be poached and we’ll start over again. If they do poorly they’ll be fired and we’ll start over again. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

If you don’t care about women’s athletics, that’s fine, just say so and move on. Or even better, don’t say so and move on. But don’t sit here and say that you don’t even care enough to be able to name one player, then act like you somehow know they’ll always be a bottom-tier team.

The fact of the matter is that the MW is not a very good women’s basketball conference, and a solid coach plus a good player or two can send you from the bottom to the top quickly. This is a good change and I’m excited to see how it plays out.

You know, it’s not like this everywhere. New Mexico and Wyoming each get phenomenal fan support for their women’s programs (and neither have an overly rich history of dominance either). Some of the more dominant teams sell out arenas for every game. If you’re a fan of basketball and a fan of the Aggies, I challenge you to try and get out to at least a game or two each season. Is it as exciting and fast-paced as the men’s games? No. But I find it to be a good product that’s pretty enjoyable.
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 4):
oleblu111Aggieiestervegasaggienewtonianblue

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » March 23rd, 2020, 5:49 pm

utaggies wrote:
Here is the problem. No one really cares who the coach is and how the team does. I wish the women’s team a success simply because it represents USU. Although I’m an avid Aggie men’s basketball and football fan and devoted to my alma mater I’ve never watched a women’s game and only occasionally look to see how the team is doing. Can posters here name even one member of the women’s team?

I would imagine quite a few here care. Did you know that one of this year's Aggie Hall of Fame inductees has a daughter on the team? I don't follow the women's team as much as the men's team, but do get to a game or two each year. I support those who represent my alma mater.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » March 23rd, 2020, 5:54 pm

I once met the Finkbeiner’s at a function and they are good men. They should bot have been fired!!! Just because 95% of their best players transfer out of the program simply because they are scared of success and building on something is NO reason to find a new staff!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
oleblu111

Hail Aggies!

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 23rd, 2020, 7:46 pm

stang wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 5:31 pm
utaggies wrote:Here is the problem. No one really cares who the coach is and how the team does. I wish the women’s team a success simply because it represents USU. Although I’m an avid Aggie men’s basketball and football fan and devoted to my alma mater I’ve never watched a women’s game and only occasionally look to see how the team is doing. Can posters here name even one member of the women’s team? I can’t. Perhaps if there was a winning tradition I would feel differently. But right now I’m meh. We can plug in a new coach and if he/she does well they’ll be poached and we’ll start over again. If they do poorly they’ll be fired and we’ll start over again. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

If you don’t care about women’s athletics, that’s fine, just say so and move on. Or even better, don’t say so and move on. But don’t sit here and say that you don’t even care enough to be able to name one player, then act like you somehow know they’ll always be a bottom-tier team.

The fact of the matter is that the MW is not a very good women’s basketball conference, and a solid coach plus a good player or two can send you from the bottom to the top quickly. This is a good change and I’m excited to see how it plays out.

You know, it’s not like this everywhere. New Mexico and Wyoming each get phenomenal fan support for their women’s programs (and neither have an overly rich history of dominance either). Some of the more dominant teams sell out arenas for every game. If you’re a fan of basketball and a fan of the Aggies, I challenge you to try and get out to at least a game or two each season. Is it as exciting and fast-paced as the men’s games? No. But I find it to be a good product that’s pretty enjoyable.
I believe I may have hit a nerve.

I don’t absolutely know that the women’s team will be a bottom-tier MWC team, but if history is any indication they will be. Over the last 40 years USU has 6 seasons of > .500 in conference games. Three of those seasons were back-to-back-to-back (2010-13) under Raegan Pebley and one was in 2018-19. The median conference standing has been 7th place since we joined the Big West, WAC and MWC (2003-04).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Stat ... basketball

I hope the Aggies get a good hire. I hope they do well. And I’ll accept your challenge to try to be more engaged in the women’s team. :cheers:

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 23rd, 2020, 10:33 pm

This conversation of debating how important it is to be successful in olympic sports happens every time someone posts something about either a new coach or suggesting a non football/basketball coach be replaced. I for instance think it was great when track won conference titles or volleyball upset top ranked Hawaii, but I decided not to try to put those in a tournament against football or basketball moments cause of the differences in how much people care about those things or not.

tinplater

Post by tinplater » March 24th, 2020, 7:28 am

utaggies wrote:

I don't care about track and field, gymnastics, golf, tennis, soccer, hockey, volleyball...but I want to see all of those teams rock. If you don't like women's basketball, that is fine for you, but hardly justifies a statement like "check the box....."
I truly hope this hire turns out to be a winner and the lady Aggies dominate the Mountain West. There are careers out there for athletes as players and coaches and it is part of the university curriculum to "check the box" that can prepare students for those opportunities.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » March 24th, 2020, 7:45 am

utaggies wrote:

Thank you utaggies. I suspect many, many sustainers, ticket purchasers and contributors to AGGIE Athletics have a similar but silently held opinion. I wish the Title 9 athletes well, take no time to demean them, yet they have zero interest for me as this is just a financial drain on college athletics as precious funds are spread even thinner.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » March 24th, 2020, 9:01 am

utaggies wrote:

Early leader for Ridiculous Post of the Year.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post (total 5):
ShowMeAggieoleblu111tinplaternewtonianblueGordoAggie

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » March 24th, 2020, 11:48 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 7:45 am
utaggies wrote:

Thank you utaggies. I suspect many, many sustainers, ticket purchasers and contributors to AGGIE Athletics have a similar but silently held opinion. I wish the Title 9 athletes well, take no time to demean them, yet they have zero interest for me as this is just a financial drain on college athletics as precious funds are spread even thinner.
Do you mean the precious state tax dollars or students fees which of course are the biggest part of the USU athletic fund, and of course with more female students, and many female tax payers perhaps that group should have a chance to play sports on the college level.. If USU received nothing from ticket sales for men's sports it would not be big of a blow., maybe a 5% drop.

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » March 24th, 2020, 12:20 pm

I watched the livestream with her and I like her so far! She talked about how the offense she runs is super fast. She wants girls who come from good families and aren’t going disrupt the culture she is trying to build. Hartwell called her the female Craig Smith so that’s good! Her goal for next year is to finish in the top half of the conference, and the ultimate goal is a conference championship. She said she has met with Craig Smith and is excited to learn from him and his staff.
These users thanked the author TrueBlueAggie123 for the post (total 6):
oleblu111aggies22treesap32Aggie_in_IdahonewtonianblueNVAggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 24th, 2020, 1:09 pm

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 12:20 pm
I watched the livestream with her and I like her so far! She talked about how the offense she runs is super fast. She wants girls who come from good families and aren’t going disrupt the culture she is trying to build. Hartwell called her the female Craig Smith so that’s good! Her goal for next year is to finish in the top half of the conference, and the ultimate goal is a conference championship. She said she has met with Craig Smith and is excited to learn from him and his staff.

Not to be too pessimistic or anything, but - have you ever heard a new coach come in and in his/her press conference say that they are going to recruit people of bad character from broken/dysfunctional homes that don't want to buy into the system or culture?

Eutaw St. Aggie

ususports

Post by ususports » March 24th, 2020, 1:49 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 11:47 am
Yes

LKGates

Post by LKGates » March 24th, 2020, 4:44 pm

Good athletic departments have consistently winning football and men's basketball teams.

Great athletic departments, the kind that may potentially get P5 invites in the next round of realignment, have success across the board, with all their teams. There are people who care about teams other than football and men's basketball. I'm glad John Hartwell is paying attention to the other sports. The kids deserve it, and the department needs it.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 3):
cowcollegeUSU78newtonianblue

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

stang

Post by stang » March 24th, 2020, 6:47 pm

utaggies wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 7:46 pm
stang wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 5:31 pm

I believe I may have hit a nerve.

I don’t absolutely know that the women’s team will be a bottom-tier MWC team, but if history is any indication they will be. Over the last 40 years USU has 6 seasons of > .500 in conference games. Three of those seasons were back-to-back-to-back (2010-13) under Raegan Pebley and one was in 2018-19. The median conference standing has been 7th place since we joined the Big West, WAC and MWC (2003-04).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Stat ... basketball

I hope the Aggies get a good hire. I hope they do well. And I’ll accept your challenge to try to be more engaged in the women’s team. :cheers:
I'm not trying to be rude, but yeah, you definitely did hit a nerve. It seems like everytime the women's basketball team is brought up on here you get people trashing on the Finkbeiners, going out of their way to express how little they care about women's basketball, calling the program a waste of money, or taking shots at the team, all prefaced by "I hope they do well, BUT..."

Our women's team's support is absolutely embarrasing. That's even in comparison to other MWC teams. I get that they haven't had a whole ton of success as of late, but for all the talk about "Aggie nation" and the "Aggie family" and all that kind of catchphrase-y stuff, it sure doens't seem to be very far-reaching. I guess to me, being an Aggie fan includes supporting Utah State athletics as a whole. Or at the very least, not looking for every chance possible to disparage the non-football and men's basketball teams.

Again, I'm not saying every Aggie fan needs to buy season tickets and attend every USU sporting event. But impressions of a school are important, and to the hundreds of student-athletes, coaches and fans who come to campus every year from other schools in non-football/men's basketball programs, Utah State is just a team with pathetic fan support that plays in an ugly arena.
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
Socrates2121

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » March 24th, 2020, 7:11 pm

I'll admit that I haven't attended many women's sports events, but when I have I've enjoyed it. The ladies work just as hard as the men and for little kids, they can relate cuz they play below the rim too. That said, it's tough and I have to pick and choose what events I spend my money on. For a family of 6, football and men's basketball are our favorites, so that's what we spend it on.

As a side note, I watch gymnastics with my daughters the other day, it was a replay of Utah and Washington. The Huntsman Center was pretty full and I'll admit I was a little jealous of that. The support was amazing and the fans passionate. I get that they're one of the top in the nation and have won national titles, but did you know the Aggies gymnastics team was in the top 30? I didn't, but I find that impressive and worthy of additional support. I feel like, as previously pointed out, that winning breeds attendance when it's not the big 2 sports.

Btw, Utah, byu-provo, SUU and USU - all in the top 30 in gymnastics this year. Go state of Utah!

Go Aggies!

KissMyAg
Been thanked: 0

Post by KissMyAg » March 24th, 2020, 8:23 pm

ususports wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 1:49 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 11:47 am
Yes
NO

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 24th, 2020, 9:43 pm

LKGates wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 4:44 pm
Good athletic departments have consistently winning football and men's basketball teams.

Great athletic departments, the kind that may potentially get P5 invites in the next round of realignment, have success across the board, with all their teams. There are people who care about teams other than football and men's basketball. I'm glad John Hartwell is paying attention to the other sports. The kids deserve it, and the department needs it.
While I am in the camp that it is good to be successful in other sports, even Men's Basketball, let alone other sports, does little to nothing to get invites into P5 conferences. Football is what drives everything. Exhibit A was when the Pac 12 was talking about going to 16 teams and there was NO interest in Kansas for their basketball. And Boise was the first team do get the invite out of the dying WAC and into the Mountain West cause of their football in spite of not being good at men's basketball and other sports And while it's great for Hawaii they have the national power program in volleyball they have, that didn't get them into the PAC 12. To get the Mountain West invite ourselves and not get left out, we needed to get our football program turned around alot worse than we needed to keep winning in basketball.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 24th, 2020, 10:00 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 7:11 pm
I'll admit that I haven't attended many women's sports events, but when I have I've enjoyed it. The ladies work just as hard as the men and for little kids, they can relate cuz they play below the rim too. That said, it's tough and I have to pick and choose what events I spend my money on. For a family of 6, football and men's basketball are our favorites, so that's what we spend it on.

As a side note, I watch gymnastics with my daughters the other day, it was a replay of Utah and Washington. The Huntsman Center was pretty full and I'll admit I was a little jealous of that. The support was amazing and the fans passionate. I get that they're one of the top in the nation and have won national titles, but did you know the Aggies gymnastics team was in the top 30? I didn't, but I find that impressive and worthy of additional support. I feel like, as previously pointed out, that winning breeds attendance when it's not the big 2 sports.

Btw, Utah, byu-provo, SUU and USU - all in the top 30 in gymnastics this year. Go state of Utah!
I applaud the team, but for some perspective there are 60 D1 women’s gymnastic programs. Statistically our football team (ranked #57 out of 130 teams) ranked higher.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » March 25th, 2020, 12:12 am

utaggies wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 10:00 pm
Aggie19 wrote:

I applaud the team, but for some perspective there are 60 D1 women’s gymnastic programs. Statistically our football team (ranked #57 out of 130 teams) ranked higher.
Hmm, ok. How about this for some perspective - that football team was ranked #38 in the preseason last year and finished 57th. The gymnastics team, they were ranked #41 and finished at 29. You tell me who had the better year.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 2):
USU78usufan1

Go Aggies!

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 25th, 2020, 12:37 am

Aggie19 wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 12:12 am
utaggies wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:

Hmm, ok. How about this for some perspective - that football team was ranked #38 in the preseason last year and finished 57th. The gymnastics team, they were ranked #41 and finished at 29. You tell me who had the better year.
I didn’t opine as to who had the better year or which team lived up to its potential better. I simply provided perspective that a #29 ranking in women’s gymnastics is not like a similar ranking in football or basketball. There are as many DI hockey programs as women’s gymnastic programs. For more perspective, the men’s cross country team ranked #16 out of 333 schools and the men’s basketball team ranked #40 out of 353 schools.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » March 25th, 2020, 5:16 am

utaggies wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 12:37 am
Aggie19 wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 12:12 am
utaggies wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:

I didn’t opine as to who had the better year or which team lived up to its potential better. I simply provided perspective that a #29 ranking in women’s gymnastics is not like a similar ranking in football or basketball. There are as many DI hockey programs as women’s gymnastic programs. For more perspective, the men’s cross country team ranked #16 out of 333 schools and the men’s basketball team ranked #40 out of 353 schools.
I get what you're saying, thank you for the ranking perspective. I was simply pointing out that they had a good year. There doesn't need to be an asterisk or a caveat by it. They had a good year and exceeded what the "experts" thought they would do, regardless of how many teams they compete against in the rankings.

Go Aggies!

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 25th, 2020, 6:30 am

Men's sports are rituals/passion plays/battles before the city gates. Remember your Homer. These things actually matter to us.

Women's sports are interesting and enjoyable at times, but don't really hold our interest. They don't matter to us unless we have a personal stake.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
NavyBlueAggie

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 25th, 2020, 7:06 am

Utah State gymnastics had one of the best beam teams in the nation. They were excellent on that apparatus.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
USU78

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 25th, 2020, 8:19 am

NVAggie wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 7:06 am
Utah State gymnastics had one of the best beam teams in the nation. They were excellent on that apparatus.
USU had one of the best gymnastic teams in the nation if by “best” one is referring to the upper 50% as opposed to the lower 50%.

Locked Previous topicNext topic