Abel Porter transferring?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
ProvoAggie
Site Admin
Posts: 12782
Joined: June 14th, 2010, 1:00 am
Location: Provo, Utah
Has thanked: 609 times
Been thanked: 730 times
Contact:

Abel Porter transferring?

Post by ProvoAggie » March 13th, 2020, 3:12 pm

I thought he was done.



TrueBlueAggie123
Posts: 231
Joined: October 14th, 2013, 5:32 pm
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Abel Porter transferring

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » March 13th, 2020, 3:12 pm



I thought he was graduating and moving on?!



User avatar
MrBiggle
Posts: 1352
Joined: October 10th, 2013, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 308 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: Abel Porter transferring?

Post by MrBiggle » March 13th, 2020, 3:14 pm

Grad school?


Where only sage brush grows

UStateTim
Posts: 197
Joined: November 26th, 2013, 7:35 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: Abel Porter transferring?

Post by UStateTim » March 13th, 2020, 3:16 pm

I thought he got his Master's this semester. Maybe he's going to find a med or law school and play one more year of basketball.



Intermeddler
Posts: 2105
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 240 times
Been thanked: 239 times

Re: Abel Porter transferring

Post by Intermeddler » March 13th, 2020, 3:19 pm

This was always his plan if his back held up according to what I’ve been told.



pcaggie
Posts: 40
Joined: October 15th, 2015, 10:51 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Abel Porter transferring?

Post by pcaggie » March 13th, 2020, 3:25 pm

Good for him, I hope he back gets better and he finds a good place to land.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9967
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 5470 times
Been thanked: 3253 times
Contact:

Re: Abel Porter transferring?

Post by aggies22 » March 13th, 2020, 3:41 pm

This is why he was introduced during senior night. He was always planning on leaving.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Real Life Aggie



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15900
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 465 times
Been thanked: 1074 times

Re: Abel Porter transferring?

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 13th, 2020, 3:42 pm

Kind of strange to do a senior night honor for a pre-emptive portal transfer though isn't it?
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
sstrasser



Intermeddler
Posts: 2105
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 240 times
Been thanked: 239 times

Re: Abel Porter transferring?

Post by Intermeddler » March 13th, 2020, 3:43 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 3:42 pm
Kind of strange to do a senior night honor for a pre-emptive portal transfer though isn't it?
He was never coming back next year. It was either hang it up due to his back or grad transfer and try and play. He had already graduated and we knew he was moving on so not strange to do it IMO.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 2):
aggies22sneed



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9967
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 5470 times
Been thanked: 3253 times
Contact:

Re: Abel Porter transferring?

Post by aggies22 » March 13th, 2020, 3:49 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 3:43 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 3:42 pm
Kind of strange to do a senior night honor for a pre-emptive portal transfer though isn't it?
He was never coming back next year. It was either hang it up due to his back or grad transfer and try and play. He had already graduated and we knew he was moving on so not strange to do it IMO.
Exactly, if a kid has already exhausted his academic opportunities at Utah State and he still has eligibility left that he would like to use at another school, honor him on senior night he deserves it. A kid like this is what being a STUDENT-athlete is all about!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 12):
IntermeddlersneedBank Shotaggiesdotcomaggieguy13WillCut72Real Life AggieBustaMcNuttbluegrouseFloridaAggie13 and 2 more users



Aggie84025
Posts: 2392
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 748 times

Re: Abel Porter transferring?

Post by Aggie84025 » March 13th, 2020, 3:55 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 3:49 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 3:43 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 3:42 pm
Kind of strange to do a senior night honor for a pre-emptive portal transfer though isn't it?
He was never coming back next year. It was either hang it up due to his back or grad transfer and try and play. He had already graduated and we knew he was moving on so not strange to do it IMO.
Exactly, if a kid has already exhausted his academic opportunities at Utah State and he still has eligibility left that he would like to use at another school, honor him on senior night he deserves it. A kid like this is what being a STUDENT-athlete is all about!
Completely agree. Abel is a fantastic student and will graduate with a masters degree and still have 1 year of availability. If he wants to transfer to play ball and get more schooling I could not be happier for him. I have a feeling he will be successful in his post basketball endeavors. He is an intelligent man. I am grateful for his ability to play through pain. He certainly made mistakes, but when he played and was able to be the primary ball handler it really helped Sam out. Just watching him on the sideline in the tournament the guy was playing through a lot of pain.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
bluegrouseBill_George



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15900
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 465 times
Been thanked: 1074 times

Re: Abel Porter transferring?

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 13th, 2020, 4:13 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 3:55 pm
aggies22 wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 3:49 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 3:43 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 3:42 pm
Kind of strange to do a senior night honor for a pre-emptive portal transfer though isn't it?
He was never coming back next year. It was either hang it up due to his back or grad transfer and try and play. He had already graduated and we knew he was moving on so not strange to do it IMO.
Exactly, if a kid has already exhausted his academic opportunities at Utah State and he still has eligibility left that he would like to use at another school, honor him on senior night he deserves it. A kid like this is what being a STUDENT-athlete is all about!
Completely agree. Abel is a fantastic student and will graduate with a masters degree and still have 1 year of availability. If he wants to transfer to play ball and get more schooling I could not be happier for him. I have a feeling he will be successful in his post basketball endeavors. He is an intelligent man. I am grateful for his ability to play through pain. He certainly made mistakes, but when he played and was able to be the primary ball handler it really helped Sam out. Just watching him on the sideline in the tournament the guy was playing through a lot of pain.
It was certainly big to have him in that championship game.



User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 10285
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 521 times
Been thanked: 373 times

Re: Abel Porter transferring?

Post by ViAggie » March 13th, 2020, 4:15 pm

Best of luck


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 329
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 152 times

Re: Abel Porter transferring?

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 13th, 2020, 7:43 pm

I'm totally cool with this, I wish him the very best. I'd be annoyed if he transferred to YBU but I don't think he's white enough.



AgMan21
Posts: 1406
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:01 pm
Has thanked: 102 times
Been thanked: 160 times

Re: Abel Porter transferring?

Post by AgMan21 » March 14th, 2020, 3:12 pm

I think this makes a LOT of sense for Abel and I'm glad he's doing it. He's not going to make money playing basketball (probably) and if he does want to get an advanced degree (like medicine or something USU doesn't have) then by all means transfer and have a free year or study.

Overall I liked having him on the team and I'm glad we honored him on Senior Night.



AggieFBObsession
Posts: 948
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 824 times
Been thanked: 137 times

Re: Abel Porter transferring?

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 14th, 2020, 5:16 pm

This is what the grad transfer program was designed for. Good for him.



Locked Previous topicNext topic