First NCAA Tournament Canceled in Its History

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » March 13th, 2020, 8:38 am

I was watching ESPN this morning, which is hardly a show anymore, but they were saying this the FIRST tournament canceled in its history! The tournament started in 1939, so it was played through multiple wars, multiple pandemics WAY worse than this, and about anything else you could imagine. But here we are..
I don’t mean to start a new debate or continue to beat a dead horse. I’m just stating the facts. I found it very interesting.
:bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13SLB

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Re: First NCAA Tournament Canceled in Its History

Post by NVAggie » March 13th, 2020, 9:34 am

Sports are such a unique thing. They have the power to divide and bind us. They have the power to make us spend money when we don't want to spend. They have the power to bring great joy and great pain. Sports allow us to forget the disappointments and struggles we have for those few hours. We cheer on the lovable loser that has no chance. We unite behind the Cinderella story. We feel the pain of the athlete in defeat. Sports are amazing.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
aggies22

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » March 13th, 2020, 10:42 am

Is this the new norm? In the past you would always hear about player sitting out games because of the "flu". Why is this any different.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 13th, 2020, 11:45 am

Sports are also bigger events with more pomp and circumstance than ever before. More money, more travel, more publicity... We've got a lot more time to devote to recreation.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » March 13th, 2020, 1:56 pm

blueaggie wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 10:42 am
Is this the new norm? In the past you would always hear about player sitting out games because of the "flu". Why is this any different.
This isn't the flu.
These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post (total 4):
IntermeddlerReal Life AggieMetsJetsAggiesAggieFBObsession

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 13th, 2020, 3:25 pm

I survived a cholera epidemic in the early '90s. The epicenter of the breakout was in Peru, but I was living in some places of such extreme poverty in unimaginably primitive hygienic conditions on coastal Ecuador on the front lines of the epidemic. I remember public health warnings and some talk about how devastating the epidemic was going to be. I visited hospitals that were ill-equipped to handle the patients looking for admittance. It was sad to see people suffering and see their families and friends grieve for those that didn't survive. Looking back, maybe I should have been more concerned. I was caught up in that sense of immortality that often accompanies youth. I didn't do a whole lot to change my routine and didn't notice a whole lot of the people around me change theirs. Life just kind of kept going and people went about their business. And then the scare seemed to pass (no pun intended) of its own accord.

Eutaw St. Aggie

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » March 13th, 2020, 10:11 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 1:56 pm
blueaggie wrote:
This isn't the flu.
Oh really? What is it?

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 14th, 2020, 10:12 am

blueaggie wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 10:11 pm
AgMan21 wrote:
blueaggie wrote:
This isn't the flu.
Oh really? What is it?
A completely different illness that has many similar symptoms. Unfortunately, your ignorance doesn't give you a pass on science.

Think of it this way: if your car won't start, it could be for lots of reason. It could be your battery, your starter, your distributor, fuel pump, out of gas... the list goes on. Someone who doesn't know anything about cars could say that they're all the same because it's a similar result: the car won't start. But their lack of familiarity doesn't actually make it true. They just don't understand any better than that. Some of those problems are simple and easy to fix. Some are not as easy.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionAgMan21

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 14th, 2020, 11:11 am

AgMan21 wrote:
blueaggie wrote:
This isn't the flu.
Which flu?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 14th, 2020, 11:26 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 10:12 am
blueaggie wrote:
AgMan21 wrote:
blueaggie wrote:
This isn't the flu.
Oh really? What is it?
A completely different illness that has many similar symptoms. Unfortunately, your ignorance doesn't give you a pass on science.

Think of it this way: if your car won't start, it could be for lots of reason. It could be your battery, your starter, your distributor, fuel pump, out of gas... the list goes on. Someone who doesn't know anything about cars could say that they're all the same because it's a similar result: the car won't start. But their lack of familiarity doesn't actually make it true. They just don't understand any better than that. Some of those problems are simple and easy to fix. Some are not as easy.
This is a good post and it's a good discussion. However, I'm still asking myself it it was the best decision to cancel. Certain players have Covid-19? Then they can't play. Shouldn't the games go on? ....This leads to ultimately what the biggest problem is. We can't test people often and enough. South Korea can do it and we can't. As a result, we can't determine who can play without Covid-19 and who should be isolated at home. It's a real problem.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 14th, 2020, 6:15 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
Real Life Aggie wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 10:12 am
blueaggie wrote:
AgMan21 wrote:
blueaggie wrote:
This isn't the flu.
Oh really? What is it?

This is a good post and it's a good discussion. However, I'm still asking myself it it was the best decision to cancel. Certain players have Covid-19? Then they can't play. Shouldn't the games go on? ....This leads to ultimately what the biggest problem is. We can't test people often and enough. South Korea can do it and we can't. As a result, we can't determine who can play without Covid-19 and who should be isolated at home. It's a real problem.
The cancelation isn't about worrying about players getting it. That's not a big deal. The issue is crowds of 40,000 people being together in one place for three hours then spreading back throughout the country when the game ends. Philadelphia held a parade during the Spanish flu. Within a week 45,000 had the disease and within a month 12,000 of them were dead. The issue wasn't the dancers in the parade getting sick; it's enabling the spread by kindly arranging for a large mass to infect.

Now imagine a jazz crowd times 48. That's the first weekend of the tournament.

In terms of player only events, here's a good explanation too with data charts https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... er-sports/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » March 14th, 2020, 8:43 pm

Meh, take me back to Tournament 2010. H1N1 had been a pandemic for over 9 months. Estimated that 59 million Americans had been sick from it.
But we said “hold my beer, I need to buy tourney tickets.” Or any other sporting event we wanted tickets for.
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post:
USU78

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » March 15th, 2020, 11:29 am

How soo
FL350Aggie wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 8:43 pm
Meh, take me back to Tournament 2010. H1N1 had been a pandemic for over 9 months. Estimated that 59 million Americans had been sick from it.
But we said “hold my beer, I need to buy tourney tickets.” Or any other sporting event we wanted tickets for.
And we didn't have the stock market crash, unemployment, empty school/shelves, and many other problems.
These users thanked the author blueaggie for the post:
USU78

Locked Previous topicNext topic