Why not postpone vs cancel

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: Why not postpone vs cancel

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 14th, 2020, 6:50 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 10:13 pm
I have a feeling a lot of people are going to wake up in about a week and say, "...oh crap, what did we do?!"
Well honestly the hope is that shutting things down for a few weeks will lead to far fewer people getting sick meaning far fewer dying because of it. Because of that a segment of the population will act like it wasn't the big deal it was made out to be, although of course the reason it wasn't the catastrophic outcome is because the hard decisions were made to shut things down.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 14th, 2020, 6:57 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 6:50 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
I have a feeling a lot of people are going to wake up in about a week and say, "...oh crap, what did we do?!"
Well honestly the hope is that shutting things down for a few weeks will lead to far fewer people getting sick meaning far fewer dying because of it. Because of that a segment of the population will act like it wasn't the big deal it was made out to be, although of course the reason it wasn't the catastrophic outcome is because the hard decisions were made to shut things down.
I've come around to this reality, but I still think they could've quarantined these kids for 2-4 weeks, tested them and then had them play without fans. That is if the kids were willing to go through all that. Or at least they could've waited to pull the plug for a month and seen how hard we got hit by this virus.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 3):
sneedMetsJetsAggiesReal Life Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 14th, 2020, 7:00 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 6:57 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
I've come around to this reality, but I still think they could've quarantined these kids for 2-4 weeks, tested them and then had them play without fans. That is if the kids were willing to go through all that. Or at least they could've waited to pull the plug for a month and seen how hard we got hit by this virus.
Yeah I really wish they went with the fanless option. After Rudy Gobert got it all bets were off unfortunately and it pushed them to just shut everything down. I was actually kind of curious to see how a fanless tournament would go. Would it lead to more upsets or less? You wouldn't have fans cheering on the underdog, but you also would have a lot of players be less nervous and play better with no crowd there.

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 14th, 2020, 7:09 pm

March 14th, 2020, 7:00 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 6:57 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Yeah I really wish they went with the fanless option. After Rudy Gobert got it all bets were off unfortunately and it pushed them to just shut everything down. I was actually kind of curious to see how a fanless tournament would go. Would it lead to more upsets or less? You wouldn't have fans cheering on the underdog, but you also would have a lot of players be less nervous and play better with no crowd there.
Seems like a fanless tourney would've helped avoid all the "logistical difficulties" they were using as the scape goat for cancelling. They could've even held all the games in just a handful of locations with controlled environments.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 14th, 2020, 7:26 pm

Yeah really wished they would have stuck with that option. Kansas and Duke also helped abort it when they pulled out. Other schools likely said they wouldn't have done it either.

I wish they would have gone the NBA route and temporarily shut things down and reevaluated in a few weeks.

sneed

Post by sneed » March 14th, 2020, 8:15 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
blueaggie wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 8:04 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
You are correct. What we have now is panic and fear over the media hyping statistics about the flu. I remember one year during Christmas when almost every member of my family and and my extended family had the flu and if we would have had elderly parents with underlying issues they probably would have died. I just can't believe that so many people are buying into this scam. What the media should be hyping are all the deaths attributed to the fear and panic by way of heart attacks, suicide, strokes etc. I'm sure that number will be way higher. My question is who is behind this scam and what is their motive.
Is what’s happening in Italy a scam?
I don’t think it’s a scam but I have distributors in Rome and Milan. Both say their area has not been greatly affected, but further north has been an issue. They have told me independently that they expect things to be back to full production March 25. Both are currently working in their offices but are asked in their areas to not congregate or have large gatherings. In supermarkets and other public venues they are asked to keep a distance of 10 meters from others. It has been serious, but also not completely honestly reported according to them
We also don’t have the government completely running our healthcare system. I don’t see us being Italy but we have shown we can panic pretty easy.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 14th, 2020, 8:44 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
blueaggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
You are correct. What we have now is panic and fear over the media hyping statistics about the flu. I remember one year during Christmas when almost every member of my family and and my extended family had the flu and if we would have had elderly parents with underlying issues they probably would have died. I just can't believe that so many people are buying into this scam. What the media should be hyping are all the deaths attributed to the fear and panic by way of heart attacks, suicide, strokes etc. I'm sure that number will be way higher. My question is who is behind this scam and what is their motive.
I don’t think it’s a scam but I have distributors in Rome and Milan. Both say their area has not been greatly affected, but further north has been an issue. They have told me independently that they expect things to be back to full production March 25. Both are currently working in their offices but are asked in their areas to not congregate or have large gatherings. In supermarkets and other public venues they are asked to keep a distance of 10 meters from others. It has been serious, but also not completely honestly reported according to them
I've read all of the cables coming out of Italy. Your distributors' experiences are one thing, but the situation in Italy is out of control. Italy had four times more deaths in 24 hours than korea has had total. On Friday they reported 827 deaths total (+196 from the previous day) and 1,045 total recoveries (+45 from the previous day).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 14th, 2020, 11:36 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 8:44 pm
Chupamedia wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
blueaggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
I've read all of the cables coming out of Italy. Your distributors' experiences are one thing, but the situation in Italy is out of control. Italy had four times more deaths in 24 hours than korea has had total. On Friday they reported 827 deaths total (+196 from the previous day) and 1,045 total recoveries (+45 from the previous day).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You don’t want to be over 65 yo and you don’t want to be a smoker or have heart disease with this virus. Nearly 25% of Italy’s population is over 65 and they hit pretty high in the smoking and heart disease category as well. What has devastated Italy is the amount of people getting sick so close together and not having the medical resources to manage it. The US was right to encourage cancelling events and avoiding large group settings. The media was not very responsible in how they’ve gotten the message out there. In the end if we follow what we’ve been asked to follow we’ll avoid what’s happened in Italy. A lot of people will still get sick whether they know it or not, but the death rate will be lower.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic