Hoping we see our best 5 together next week

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
rezaggie
Has thanked: 0

Hoping we see our best 5 together next week

Post by rezaggie » March 10th, 2020, 8:49 pm

Sorry for the long post...

To start, I must acknowledge the Captain Craig Smith has had the best 2 years of any Aggie coach of my lifetime, and I am not young. Even better than Stew, which I thought we would never have. Lucky to have Smith, hope we keep him.

However, I am desperate to see our best 5 players together on the court next week. Sam Diogo Quetafornia, Bean...and Fonzo Anderson. All of the advanced metrics say it is not close. Box Plus Minus. Win Shares/40. PER. AA is head and shoulders above Porter, who has been limited, and Miller, who has been truly bad but better coming off the bench.

I am not the first on the board to mention this but I think it deserves a thread. The arguments I typically hear about why this would not work go something like "that would crowd spacing on offense" or AA/Bean can't stay in front of opposing 3s. When I hear this, I am sure I involuntarily cock my head to the side like my dog does when I am yelling at it and she does not know why...

Teams have been begging Porter and Miller to shoot. They absolutely target Miller time and again and drive right at him. If we lose a bit in terms of both spacing on O and lateral quickness on D, which I do not think we do as a practical matter, it would more than be made up for by the incredible luxury of having all 5 players on the floor be a threat to handle the ball and make plays. It is clearly the best rebounding group we can throw out there.

With Porter limited and Bairstow hurt, Smith may be forced to go to this by default. We have a week to prepare. For the love of all that is holy Craig Smith, roll this lineup out for a media timeout or two. Great NBA teams started playing their best 5 in crunch time regardless of position years ago. I hope USU does the same next week
These users thanked the author rezaggie for the post (total 4):
MadmartiganAggieFBObsessioncodingaggieaggies22

Madmartigan

Re: Hoping we see our best 5 together next week

Post by Madmartigan » March 10th, 2020, 8:52 pm

rezaggie wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 8:49 pm
Sorry for the long post...

To start, I must acknowledge the Captain Craig Smith has had the best 2 years of any Aggie coach of my lifetime, and I am not young. Even better than Stew, which I thought we would never have. Lucky to have Smith, hope we keep him.

However, I am desperate to see our best 5 players together on the court next week. Sam Diogo Quetafornia, Bean...and Fonzo Anderson. All of the advanced metrics say it is not close. Box Plus Minus. Win Shares/40. PER. AA is head and shoulders above Porter, who has been limited, and Miller, who has been truly bad but better coming off the bench.

I am not the first on the board to mention this but I think it deserves a thread. The arguments I typically hear about why this would not work go something like "that would crowd spacing on offense" or AA/Bean can't stay in front of opposing 3s. When I hear this, I am sure I involuntarily cock my head to the side like my dog does when I am yelling at it and she does not know why...

Teams have been begging Porter and Miller to shoot. They absolutely target Miller time and again and drive right at him. If we lose a bit in terms of both spacing on O and lateral quickness on D, which I do not think we do as a practical matter, it would more than be made up for by the incredible luxury of having all 5 players on the floor be a threat to handle the ball and make plays. It is clearly the best rebounding group we can throw out there.

With Porter limited and Bairstow hurt, Smith may be forced to go to this by default. We have a week to prepare. For the love of all that is holy Craig Smith, roll this lineup out for a media timeout or two. Great NBA teams started playing their best 5 in crunch time regardless of position years ago. I hope USU does the same next week
AA was a revelation in the tourney. He's one of our five best players without question. He defends well, he has a nice offensive game and has few weaknesses. I like this idea of getting our best 5 on the court all at once.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 10th, 2020, 9:14 pm

We knew about Alphonso all year long. Without him, we don't beat Montana State!

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 10th, 2020, 9:27 pm

We need at least our best six in my opinion.

I don't know if we beat SDSU without Porter being available at the point to take the additional stress off of Merrill. Imagine Merrill playing PG for the better part of 40 minutes while being hounded by Flynn and repeated double teams. He'd have nothing left come the final stretch run and the offense would have been stagnant.

Without Porter, Sam is forced to play the point and set up the offense, all the while being the focal point of the opposing defense. With Porter, Merrill was able to move without the ball and work around screens.

Brito does a great job as another ball handler but he isn't a natural point but again, is a good compliment at the position. We need Porter on the floor for at least half the game, even if it is just as an administrator setting up the offense taking ball handling pressure off of Merrill and forcing the opponent to defend various looks.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » March 10th, 2020, 9:35 pm

I think we can all agree that we don’t want Miller on the ball or on the court.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 10th, 2020, 9:40 pm

Miller's role against SDSU was appropriate. A 1-6 performance from three point range would have shot us out of the game. He hustles and isn't lazy. As long as he doesn't get off the bus shooting 3's I'm happy.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggieSweepDance

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 10th, 2020, 9:47 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 9:40 pm
Miller's role against SDSU was appropriate. A 1-6 performance from three point range would have shot us out of the game. He hustles and isn't lazy. As long as he doesn't get off the bus shooting 3's I'm happy.
Agreed. He had a lot of hustle and was very active on defense.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
crazywookie

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » March 10th, 2020, 10:07 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 9:47 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 9:40 pm
Agreed. He had a lot of hustle and was very active on defense.
He is a role player. Let him come off the bench and take an open look three. It seems like when he is trying to force things it just goes wrong.

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 11th, 2020, 2:09 am

o start, I must acknowledge the Captain Craig Smith has had the best 2 years of any Aggie coach of my lifetime, and I am not young. Even better than Stew, which I thought we would never have. Lucky to have Smith, hope we keep him.

100% This seems obvious to everyone but the coaching staff!
Last edited by OrangeCountyAggie on March 11th, 2020, 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 11th, 2020, 2:11 am

Sl7vk wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 9:35 pm
I think we can all agree that we don’t want Miller on the ball or on the court.
No, but I heard he's great at giving high-fives!

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » March 11th, 2020, 8:00 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 2:09 am
o start, I must acknowledge the Captain Craig Smith has had the best 2 years of any Aggie coach of my lifetime, and I am not young. Even better than Stew, which I thought we would never have. Lucky to have Smith, hope we keep him.

Really!! Why don’t those dummies on the coaching staff bow to the collective wisdom of this board? What have they done for this program? 😛
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Nobody here knows anything.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » March 11th, 2020, 8:07 am

OKAggie wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 8:00 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 2:09 am

Really!! Why don’t those dummies on the coaching staff bow to the collective wisdom of this board? What have they done for this program? 😛
The whole "coaches know better don't question them" argument is a cop out to having a real discussion on the issue. Their knowing infinitely more about basketball than us doesn't mean they aren't wrong/short-sided or aren't subject to the same faulty thinking and biases all of us are. The results have been fantastic and no one is complaining, but they could always be better. Getting AA more minutes seems to positively correspond to our likelihood of winning.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 2):
Roy McAvoyIntermeddler

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 11th, 2020, 9:27 am

Hasn't AA been getting more minutes at the expense of Kuba and Dorius, more than Miller? I think the coaches still see him as a 4 or 5 option and our post rotation has been shrunk to 3 players.
Was he on the court with Bean and Queta Saturday? I only recall him being in with one or the other.

Stucki

Post by Stucki » March 11th, 2020, 9:46 am

We don't beat Wyoming without Miller.
These users thanked the author Stucki for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

Hail the Utah Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic