NAR: Ivy League

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Bank Shot

NAR: Ivy League

Post by Bank Shot » March 10th, 2020, 4:10 pm

Ivy League has cancelled their tourney.

Intermeddler

Re: NAR: Ivy League

Post by Intermeddler » March 10th, 2020, 4:53 pm

Big West and MAC will be played without spectators.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » March 10th, 2020, 5:22 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 4:53 pm
Big West and MAC will be played without spectators.
https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/28 ... tinue-fans

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » March 10th, 2020, 6:21 pm

isn't the Big West playing without spectators an annual occurence now?
These users thanked the author AGinNEIowa for the post (total 5):
ThunderAggieTurtleReal Life Aggieaggies22OKAggie

Turtle

Post by Turtle » March 10th, 2020, 6:34 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 6:21 pm
OHHHHHHH SNAP

THE MAN WHO WENT THERE

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » March 10th, 2020, 6:36 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 016117002/

Some people want to cancel all of March Madness.....cancel March Madness my butt!!
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 10th, 2020, 6:45 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 6:36 pm

Some people want to cancel all of March Madness.....cancel March Madness my butt!!
We can't cancel living because of a (I can't express myself without swearing) virus.

Do we let the virus rule us or do we live as long as we can? I choose the latter.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
ThunderAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 10th, 2020, 6:57 pm

Turtle wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 6:34 pm
AGinNEIowa wrote:
OHHHHHHH SNAP

THE MAN WHO WENT THERE
OH SNAP now they can just hold the game in a HS Gym somewhere in Anaheim rather than renting out the convention center. I'm guessing Western High, they got a good gym.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 10th, 2020, 6:59 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 6:45 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:

We can't cancel living because of a (I can't express myself without swearing) virus.

Do we let the virus rule us or do we live as long as we can? I choose the latter.
This is serious, I'm guessing by time the first game comes around we'll be seeing it live sans anyone in the stands, hope I'm wrong
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » March 10th, 2020, 7:09 pm

ViAggie wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 6:59 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 6:45 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:

This is serious, I'm guessing by time the first game comes around we'll be seeing it live sans anyone in the stands, hope I'm wrong
That will suck. Hope it doesn't happen, the crowd is one of the best parts of the game.

Go Aggies!

justinmorrey

Post by justinmorrey » March 10th, 2020, 7:36 pm

The world's response to this virus is insane. This feels a lot like H1N1 where people were nervous about it spreading and being serious, and then it spread and became a pandemic. But the difference is once swine flu spread people just kind of realized they probably wouldn't die from it and moved on with their lives and worked through it like any other sickness if they caught it. I was at USU when it was going on and I caught it over finals week. It felt like I had the normal flu. I had one exam left and my professor (a self-described hypochondriac) was kind enough to let me take the exam a few days later.

For this stupid virus society is acting at a fever pitch when in reality if you or I get it you'll probably get over it in a few days. It's just not worth it to shut down the world for a while for a virus that isn't very serious for the vast majority of humans.

Also, the media has no idea how to report on anything medical or anything that has to do with statistics. Everything HAS to be an emergency with them. My dad is a USU virologist. He suggests ignoring the media and just paying attention to what the CDC and Anthony Fauci at the NIH say.

Anyway, this is stupid and after a long season of ups and downs for our boys who fought hard to be where they are it's going to be a real shame if this happens to the NCAA tourney.
These users thanked the author justinmorrey for the post (total 3):
AggieFBObsessionAggie19aggies22

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 10th, 2020, 7:47 pm

justinmorrey wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 7:36 pm
The world's response to this virus is insane. This feels a lot like H1N1 where people were nervous about it spreading and being serious, and then it spread and became a pandemic. But the difference is once swine flu spread people just kind of realized they probably wouldn't die from it and moved on with their lives and worked through it like any other sickness if they caught it. I was at USU when it was going on and I caught it over finals week. It felt like I had the normal flu. I had one exam left and my professor (a self-described hypochondriac) was kind enough to let me take the exam a few days later.

For this stupid virus society is acting at a fever pitch when in reality if you or I get it you'll probably get over it in a few days. It's just not worth it to shut down the world for a while for a virus that isn't very serious for the vast majority of humans.

Also, the media has no idea how to report on anything medical or anything that has to do with statistics. Everything HAS to be an emergency with them. My dad is a USU virologist. He suggests ignoring the media and just paying attention to what the CDC and Anthony Fauci at the NIH say.

Anyway, this is stupid and after a long season of ups and downs for our boys who fought hard to be where they are it's going to be a real shame if this happens to the NCAA tourney.
I agree on your point about Fauci but the CDC dropped the ball so egregiously on testing that I am losing confidence in it.

Fauci's press conference today would seemingly be a point in favor of canceling large gatherings preemptively rather than waiting for it to spread.

bpd

Post by bpd » March 10th, 2020, 7:48 pm

I am fairly certain the tournament will played without fans, which will be extremely weird. The writing is on the wall.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 10th, 2020, 7:52 pm

People containing about overreactions and "media hysteria" don't understand that we are in an insanely crucial moment in terms of being able to prevent a wide spread pandemic. The biggest issue we face right now is curtailing transmission so that the healthcare system and hospitals don't become overwhelmed. The moment that happens, people in need of critical care, hospital beds, ICUs, etc. Will be without option. That's when a 1% death rate skyrockets to 3-5%+ and causes hundreds of thousands of deaths.

We have the opportunity to overreact now and slow the spread of the virus by not going to games and public places, and get to complain later about one year of march madness games being played with no crowds

Very short window to make a meaningful impact on the spread of this virus, life of death situation for 10s of thousands of people over the next 3-6 months
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post (total 3):
IntermeddlerReal Life AggierAggie

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 10th, 2020, 7:56 pm

ViAggie wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 6:57 pm
Turtle wrote:
AGinNEIowa wrote:
OHHHHHHH SNAP

THE MAN WHO WENT THERE
OH SNAP now they can just hold the game in a HS Gym somewhere in Anaheim rather than renting out the convention center. I'm guessing Western High, they got a good gym.
You had such an opportunity. You could have said:

OH SNAP now they can just hold the game ins a HS Gym somewhere in CA rather than renting out the convention center. I'm guessing Pepperdine, they have a HS gym.
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post:
ViAggie

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 10th, 2020, 8:07 pm

justinmorrey wrote:

I got h1n1 at USU actually. it was awful.

now i'm on the front lines for corona. shocked i don't have it yet.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 10th, 2020, 8:30 pm

justinmorrey wrote:

Fauci today didn’t sound like a guy who didn’t think this is a serious situation. You can read his response to the idea of cancelling large gatherings at the end of the article.

“Some experts have recommended steps like canceling large gatherings.

Fauci said communities should “do real mitigation sometime before you think you really need it.””

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4 ... ps-to-slow
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 10th, 2020, 8:35 pm

jpswensen wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 7:56 pm
ViAggie wrote:
Turtle wrote:
AGinNEIowa wrote:
OHHHHHHH SNAP

THE MAN WHO WENT THERE

OH SNAP now they can just hold the game ins a HS Gym somewhere in CA rather than renting out the convention center. I'm guessing Pepperdine, they have a HS gym.
They've actually upgraded from the Convention Center to the Honda Center.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 10th, 2020, 8:41 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 7:52 pm
People containing about overreactions and "media hysteria" don't understand that we are in an insanely crucial moment in terms of being able to prevent a wide spread pandemic. The biggest issue we face right now is curtailing transmission so that the healthcare system and hospitals don't become overwhelmed. The moment that happens, people in need of critical care, hospital beds, ICUs, etc. Will be without option. That's when a 1% death rate skyrockets to 3-5%+ and causes hundreds of thousands of deaths.

We have the opportunity to overreact now and slow the spread of the virus by not going to games and public places, and get to complain later about one year of march madness games being played with no crowds

Very short window to make a meaningful impact on the spread of this virus, life of death situation for 10s of thousands of people over the next 3-6 months
This is exactly right. Hospitals in parts of Italy are not even trying to treat certain patients with Covid-19 or other typical ICU conditions because they don't have beds. If 1,000,000 people get it (and this is not far fetched as we are doubling confirmed cases every 48-72 hours and there are probably 5-10 unconfirmed cases for every confirmed case) and 10% require hospitalization, that is all the ICU beds in the country. It is easy to say that will be almost entirely elderly people or people with other serious conditions, but good luck getting care for something else if our entire healthcare system is overwhelmed.

South Korea and China took drastic steps to get this under control and they have successfully "flattened the curve" as they say. Italy did not and they are paying for it.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 2):
MetsJetsAggiesReal Life Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 10th, 2020, 8:43 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 8:07 pm
justinmorrey wrote:

You're a brave Seoul.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 3):
tysteve20NVAggieAGinNEIowa

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 10th, 2020, 8:47 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 7:52 pm

Vi
MJA, you nailed it. Commenters about this virus not being as virulent as others or that it hasn’t resulted in significant numbers of deaths are missing the point. This virus can be a death sentence for elderly folks who have a respiratory disorder. There is no immunity for it and we have no vaccine yet. If steps can be taken now to limit the transmission we’ll be much the better for it. But if we elect to spit the bit on this we could be way behind the curve in trying to stem its massive spread. If it does get out of control our healthcare system will be swamped and the most susceptible part of our population will pay the ultimate price.

Let’s keep our eye on the ball.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post (total 3):
MetsJetsAggiesReal Life AggierAggie

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 10th, 2020, 9:21 pm

These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post (total 6):
Real Life AggieProvoAggieaceofspadeskbViAggieaggieguy13JSHarvey

Cuchelain

Post by Cuchelain » March 10th, 2020, 9:31 pm

Oh snap! Love it!

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 10th, 2020, 10:53 pm

Dan Wolken of USAToday calling for the cancellation of the tournament in its entirety. A minority view may not stay that way for long. Better get mentally prepared for that possibly too. I’m not a Wolken fan and I’m not endorsing this opinion. Just stating that there is going to be pressure to do this and it’s not likely to lessen before the first tip.

justinmorrey

Post by justinmorrey » March 10th, 2020, 11:08 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 8:07 pm
justinmorrey wrote:

Maybe I got it from you!

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » March 10th, 2020, 11:21 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 8:30 pm
justinmorrey wrote:

Fauci today didn’t sound like a guy who didn’t think this is a serious situation. You can read his response to the idea of cancelling large gatherings at the end of the article.

“Some experts have recommended steps like canceling large gatherings.

Fauci said communities should “do real mitigation sometime before you think you really need it.””

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4 ... ps-to-slow
+ 1000

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 10th, 2020, 11:25 pm

We are very lucky our tournament was last week. Granted, it’s hosted in an area with more cases
With teams coming from areas with infection.

It’d have been a shame if we couldn’t try for the autobid. But, that being said our NET would have been better.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 11th, 2020, 10:47 am

The CBI has been cancelled now.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 11th, 2020, 10:58 am

jpswensen wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 7:56 pm
ViAggie wrote:
Turtle wrote:
AGinNEIowa wrote:
OHHHHHHH SNAP

THE MAN WHO WENT THERE

BONUS! Pepperdine is in Malibu! Beach time bay-bee!

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 11th, 2020, 10:58 am

At this point, I would be very surprised if at least some NCAA tournament sites do not have fans in attendance (if not all sites).

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 11th, 2020, 11:10 am

I would be shocked if there are any fans for March Madness. It’s going to be really weird.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 11th, 2020, 11:20 am

Yet, if you left it up the fans to make the choice, based on the supposed risk, I bet they would still show just as they do in the past.

The flu is very contagious and people die from it every year, yet we don't change our lives based on it.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 11th, 2020, 12:05 pm

Honestly, given all the yelling and screaming, it seems like basketball games would be excellent events for spreading COVID-19. I'd rather the Aggies perform in an empty arena rather than have some scrub show up sick and get the team sick.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 11th, 2020, 12:24 pm

Golden State will play all home games without fans.

Public will not attend LDS Conference.

Will be lucky if the whole tournament isn’t canceled.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 11th, 2020, 12:27 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 12:05 pm
Honestly, given all the yelling and screaming, it seems like basketball games would be excellent events for spreading COVID-19. I'd rather the Aggies perform in an empty arena rather than have some scrub show up sick and get the team sick.
It’s a perfect storm. Fans and teams flying in from all different places. Fans packed together. Screaming and yelling which is the perfect avenue for spreading the virus. There will be no fans at the tournament and we’ll be lucky if its not cancelled altogether.

Locked Previous topicNext topic