LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
JonnyCienPesos

Re: LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN

Post by JonnyCienPesos » March 14th, 2020, 11:36 am

oleblu111 wrote:
SLB wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 11:21 am
I don't see him leaving. NCAA tournament auto-bids every year and in the polls at the end of season every season, and the new MWC tv deal = a pay raise at Utah State. Utah State pays really well in real dollars, and he really seems like he found a his place here.
I hope what you believe is true, however let me point out that Coach Smith is around 5th or 6th in the MWC as far as salary goes. The chance to makes as much as $3 million plus per season with a 5 year year guarantee contract is tough to turn down. Of course he tells everyone he is happy here including recruits.
I’m sure he is happy here. Why wouldn’t he be? Doesn’t mean he couldn’t be happy somewhere else too. He seems like a happy guy. We will see what sort of offers he gets. My guess is given what’s going on, there won’t be much as much movement as there would be otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

SLB

Post by SLB » March 14th, 2020, 11:40 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 11:36 am
oleblu111 wrote:
SLB wrote:
I don't see him leaving. NCAA tournament auto-bids every year and in the polls at the end of season every season, and the new MWC tv deal = a pay raise at Utah State. Utah State pays really well in real dollars, and he really seems like he found a his place here.
I hope what you believe is true, however let me point out that Coach Smith is around 5th or 6th in the MWC as far as salary goes. The chance to makes as much as $3 million plus per season with a 5 year year guarantee contract is tough to turn down. Of course he tells everyone he is happy here including recruits.
I’m sure he is happy here. Why wouldn’t he be? Doesn’t mean he couldn’t be happy somewhere else too. He seems like a happy guy. We will see what sort of offers he gets. My guess is given what’s going on, there won’t be much as much movement as there would be otherwise.

Something that gets overlooked, what is nicer 3 million per year in a high tax state and city or 1 million per year in Logan.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
Aggie_in_Idaho

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 14th, 2020, 11:58 am

oleblu111 wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 11:32 am
SLB wrote:
And I have no doubt he IS happy. Coach Smith doesn't seem like a deceitful guy. Just the opposite! Many commentators in our games have relayed that he overshares compared to others.

He's great and it's a blessing to the school/program to have him here. But turning down a big contract and significant career progression would be crazy. I love my job and my workplace, but if I got offered double to go someplace similar (or arguably better/more prestigious), I can't imagine myself saying no. Now, I'm not Coach Smith. Maybe such a big increase in money wouldn't be appealing because he's found someplace that he loves. But he deserves the best he can get, even if that isn't here.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
oleblu111

bpd

Post by bpd » March 14th, 2020, 1:13 pm

It is not about the money, he turned down more money last year from us. It is about getting to a Final Four

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 14th, 2020, 1:30 pm

If you want to keep Coach Smith, the thing you can do to directly influence that is donate to the Wayne Estes Fund. I just made my donation. You can make yours at the following address:

https://www.usu.edu/advancement/athletics/
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
oleblu111

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » March 14th, 2020, 1:32 pm

treesap32 wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 1:30 pm
If you want to keep Coach Smith, the thing you can do to directly influence that is donate to the Wayne Estes Fund. I just made my donation. You can make yours at the following address:

https://www.usu.edu/advancement/athletics/
YES YES YES join treesap32

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 14th, 2020, 2:03 pm

SLB wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 11:40 am
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 11:36 am
oleblu111 wrote:
SLB wrote:

Something that gets overlooked, what is nicer 3 million per year in a high tax state and city or 1 million per year in Logan.
$3 million per year in a high tax state or city
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
Real Life Aggie

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 14th, 2020, 2:56 pm

bpd wrote:It is not about the money, he turned down more money last year from us. It is about getting to a Final Four
It’s always about the money.

Has Minnesota EVER made the final four ?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 14th, 2020, 3:24 pm

2004AG wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 2:56 pm
bpd wrote:It is not about the money, he turned down more money last year from us. It is about getting to a Final Four

Yes but it was vacated.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » March 14th, 2020, 9:07 pm

What advice would Coach Andersen give Coach Smith? Do you think he regrets leaving and wishes he would have stayed in Logan instead of bumping up to coach in the Big 10 and PAC 12? He had some rough and stressful times at Madison and Corvallis. Coach Smith has someone close to him in the department that’s been in his shoes before. I’d be curious to be a fly on the wall in that conversation.

I’d love for Coach Smith to do like Ben Jacobson at UNI (Northern Iowa). He was a hot commodity as he got the Panthers to the dance and made a run or two. He then got a 10 year contract for just under 1 million a year to stay. He took it and It’s been 5 years since and he’s still content there and consistently in the top echelon of the MVC. Living in Cedar Falls/Waterloo is about like Logan (cost of living and quiet college community). I hope Craig talks to him.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
ThunderAggie

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 14th, 2020, 11:41 pm

I just cringe whenever I hear people say “don’t leave us Coach” that’s mostly what I was getting at. Could you imagine if day after day your spouse said desperately “please don’t leave me”? After a while wouldn’t you start feeling like “man I gotta get away from this person”.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
usufan1treesap32

ususports

Post by ususports » March 15th, 2020, 1:42 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 11:41 pm
I just cringe whenever I hear people say “don’t leave us Coach” that’s mostly what I was getting at. Could you imagine if day after day your spouse said desperately “please don’t leave me”? After a while wouldn’t you start feeling like “man I gotta get away from this person”.
Let me emphasize that I am happily married, my wife is beautiful, and she is stuck with me (poor her—I win). Now, I get what you are saying, but to make your hypothetical analogy work, you have to mention that I have a countless number of young, supermodel-like women constantly calling and texting me everyday offering me more sex and a better lifestyle if I leave my wife. Additionally, if I do leave (comparing a coach’s new salary that would set him up financially for life), I would get so much sex, even if it only lasted for 5-10 years, I would be satisfied for the rest of my life. If that were happening, I could understand my wife’s concerns and her constantly begging me to stay. I don’t think coaches look at those comments as annoyingly as you suggest.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 15th, 2020, 8:49 am

If my wife were saying "don't leave me" I'd wonder why. Doesn't she know I've made a commitment? A covenant with her and God? I'm not going anywhere and she shouldn't doubt it for a second.
And that is why a job and a marriage can't be compared well.
A job is only an agreement to perform a service for a fee. I hope no one's marriage is like that.

I'll enjoy coach Smith while he's here, wish him well as an expression of gratitude when he leaves, and expect a great hire after.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 15th, 2020, 9:10 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 9:07 pm
What advice would Coach Andersen give Coach Smith? Do you think he regrets leaving and wishes he would have stayed in Logan instead of bumping up to coach in the Big 10 and PAC 12? He had some rough and stressful times at Madison and Corvallis. Coach Smith has someone close to him in the department that’s been in his shoes before. I’d be curious to be a fly on the wall in that conversation.

I’d love for Coach Smith to do like Ben Jacobson at UNI (Northern Iowa). He was a hot commodity as he got the Panthers to the dance and made a run or two. He then got a 10 year contract for just under 1 million a year to stay. He took it and It’s been 5 years since and he’s still content there and consistently in the top echelon of the MVC. Living in Cedar Falls/Waterloo is about like Logan (cost of living and quiet college community). I hope Craig talks to him.
You can always point to the failures, but there are a lot of successes too. You are in Iowa so another example is Fran McCaffery. He could have stayed at Siena where he had built them into a consistent tournament team, but went to Iowa and has had success for a decade. Or up the road look at Brad Underwood. He could have stayed at Stephen F Austin where he had a good thing going, but is now at Illinois and has turned around their program. Pat Chambers is another example at Penn State where he left Boston U to coach Penn State and has been there a decade. Those are just in the "Craig Smith region" where he would likely go if he left USU.

Maybe we'll get extremely lucky and he'll stay here long term like Stew. I don't think anyone should prepare for that. I wouldn't use Gary's failure or any coaches failure moving to a P5 job as even the slightest thing on his mind when making a decision about taking another job. Coaches are competitive. Smith isn't someone that is going to believe he would fail somewhere. I also wouldn't take him saying "I love Logan and USU" or "My family is happy here" as proof he is staying. I'm sure he is extremely happy at USU. Why wouldn't he be? That doesn't mean he wouldn't like to get paid far more and have the resources of a Big 10 job at some point.

I just think fans should see this realistically and enjoy the ride. It is a great thing to have a coach P5 programs want. Nobody was beating down our doors trying to hire Tim Duryea away.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » March 15th, 2020, 9:21 am

A good example of guys staying put is Mark Few over at Gonzaga. He plays in a much smaller conference than the MWC and look where he’s built the program up for the past 20 years. Obviously he’s a pretty rare case but it’s possible if Craig Smith is happy and has a good winning culture here, he could stay for a while.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 15th, 2020, 9:32 am

SwaggieAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 9:21 am
A good example of guys staying put is Mark Few over at Gonzaga. He plays in a much smaller conference than the MWC and look where he’s built the program up for the past 20 years. Obviously he’s a pretty rare case but it’s possible if Craig Smith is happy and has a good winning culture here, he could stay for a while.
I’ve brought this up before, but all these examples people reference of a coach staying at a small school, don’t have a football program. The school is able to commit a lot more resources to the program and that coach.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
sneed

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 15th, 2020, 9:47 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 9:32 am
SwaggieAggie wrote:
I’ve brought this up before, but all these examples people reference of a coach staying at a small school, don’t have a football program. The school is able to commit a lot more resources to the program and that coach.
You should have played it safe Roy. All those water shots weren't worth the one incredible shot at the end. Nobody cares if you make a halfcourter if you miss your first 10 3 pointers.

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » March 15th, 2020, 10:08 am

The main reason that I could see him staying is that it’s much more of a “novelty” to be great at a smaller, “non power 5 school.” I don’t care at all when big schools in big conferences get good because that’s how they “should be”... it’s what everybody expects. Much more impressive and memorable to me is a coach who takes a program that normally wouldn’t be a consistent top 10 program and can make it into one. What Mark Few has done will be remembered by more people than most any other coach other than the Coach K’s and Caliparis. Coach Smith is at a school and in a conference that puts him in a position to build a program like Few has done at Gonzaga. I would argue that that would be much more impressive than going to LSU and having a solid program there because that is just what should happen at an SEC power.

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 15th, 2020, 10:59 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 9:47 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
SwaggieAggie wrote:
You should have played it safe Roy. All those water shots weren't worth the one incredible shot at the end. Nobody cares if you make a halfcourter if you miss your first 10 3 pointers.
Can you explain further? I don’t get it.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 15th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 10:59 am
March 15th, 2020, 9:47 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
SwaggieAggie wrote:
Can you explain further? I don’t get it.
End of tin cup. You are roy Mcavoy after all.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 3):
Real Life AggieRoy McAvoyaggies22

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » March 15th, 2020, 12:45 pm

First if you want to compare USU and Smith with Mark Few, let me point out that Few gets $1.6 million. Smith get $700,000. Spokane is a real city with no other sports competition.

I believe that coach is due a raise in his contract to $900,000 plus bonus monies tied to performance. That is all we can afford to pay him, if that is enough great, if not well we did all we could do

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 15th, 2020, 1:37 pm

ususports wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 1:42 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Let me emphasize that I am happily married, my wife is beautiful, and she is stuck with me (poor her—I win). Now, I get what you are saying, but to make your hypothetical analogy work, you have to mention that I have a countless number of young, supermodel-like women constantly calling and texting me everyday offering me more sex and a better lifestyle if I leave my wife. Additionally, if I do leave (comparing a coach’s new salary that would set him up financially for life), I would get so much sex, even if it only lasted for 5-10 years, I would be satisfied for the rest of my life. If that were happening, I could understand my wife’s concerns and her constantly begging me to stay. I don’t think coaches look at those comments as annoyingly as you suggest.
That went without saying. You've seen what I look like.

SLB

Post by SLB » March 15th, 2020, 1:43 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 12:45 pm
First if you want to compare USU and Smith with Mark Few, let me point out that Few gets $1.6 million. Smith get $700,000. Spokane is a real city with no other sports competition.

I believe that coach is due a raise in his contract to $900,000 plus bonus monies tied to performance. That is all we can afford to pay him, if that is enough great, if not well we did all we could do
Smith has great job security, and 900,000 in Logan is basically 2 million in a high cost city and state to live in. I do expect a pay raise with this new tv deal for Smith.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 15th, 2020, 2:08 pm

SLB wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 1:43 pm
oleblu111 wrote:

Smith has great job security, and 900,000 in Logan is basically 2 million in a high cost city and state to live in. I do expect a pay raise with this new tv deal for Smith.
I mean, not really though. Cache Valley really isn't that much cheaper anymore... Housing has gone up significantly. The median house price in Cache Valley is significantly higher than the median house price for the US. And Utah isn't even in the top 50% for lowest tax burden in the US.

So, I disagree with the assertion that Logan is a bounty of unfettered saving. It's average, at best.

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » March 15th, 2020, 2:17 pm

oleblu111 wrote:

Good point, I’m not saying it’s a perfect comparison, but it seems like we could possibly get to a comparable salary for our head coach. We are a smaller community, but a bigger school (by far... they have 5,000 undergraduates compared to our 25,000. They are private and much more expensive, so obviously not an apple to apple comparison). We are in a bigger and better conference.

It seems like continued success (I’m not talking Stew Morrill success of never winning tournament games) and sold out games, we may be able to get near that level. I’m no expert though, and we also don’t know if coach Smith will keep winning when we are playing primarily with his own recruits, and if he would actually get the team to be in the top 10-15 year in and year out.

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 15th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Repeat after me:

Coaches are mercenaries

That may not Spears be a bad thing, but Smith our almost every other coach will jump at a pay raise and a bigger school. I love what Craig has done here, these are some great seasons we’ve put together. He will be gone soon, let’s hope there is another great coach out there to call our own.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 15th, 2020, 2:27 pm

Other jobs may open up but I don’t see Smith taking any of these...

https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/03/14/ ... oaches/12/

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 15th, 2020, 2:30 pm

There are a few on here he might entertain IF they opened up but I’m guessing the majority of schools that were going to fire their coach would have done so by now:

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/hot-seat-report/

Minnesota likely would have been deadly but it looks like we dodged that bullet for now.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 15th, 2020, 2:37 pm

For those of you with a subscription to The Athletic...

https://theathletic.com/1675885/2020/03 ... ed-article

The questions of who will coach next at Iona and Grand Canyon are a far cry from the ones that hung over the sport a year ago. At this point last year, UCLA was still trying to replace Steve Alford, aiming high for candidates such as John Calipari and Tony Bennett. The annual churn saw heavyweights like Michigan’s John Beilein leave for the Cleveland Cavaliers and St. John’s Chris Mullin decide he was through with college coaching. Arkansas fired Mike Anderson, who was replaced by Nevada’s Eric Musselman, which opened up a spot for Alford. By the time the carousel stopped turning, 59 schools, including 17 in the seven power conferences, had made changes.

And now? Well, we were already headed for a quieter-than-usual spring, but now we are witnessing one more way in which the COVID-19 outbreak is affecting college basketball: The annual hiring-and-firing cycle has been virtually shut down before it got started. “This could be the slowest year in the modern history of the college coaching carousel,” one prominent agent says. Needless to say, this comes as welcome news for the men on the sidelines who have to sweat things out this time of year, but it’s not a bad thing for the sport overall. People on both sides of this equation agree that over the last decade, patience has become way too thin and costs have gone way too high. There are worse things than being forced to take a timeout, even if it’s for such an awful reason.

“My sense was that we were going to see somewhere between one and four power five openings anyway,” says one industry source. “I could very easily see a scenario where nothing else of significance opens. It reminds me of the financial crash in 2008, but back then the buyouts weren’t as big. You’re talking about eight-figure payouts, so the fact that the stock market lost 28 percent of its value last week is significant.”

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 15th, 2020, 4:43 pm

I don't think he is gone this off season, but it is naive to compare him to Mark Few and act like he is another Stew Morrill that will stay here long term. That is the exception not the rule. If it happens, great! Unfortunately if he has the success I hope and believe he will continue to have he will get offers in better conferences with schools with bigger budgets and a much higher salary. Eventually one will be the right fit for him. A coach saying he likes it somewhere is never evidence that they are going to stay there. They all say that. It probably is true, but it doesn't mean he wouldn't like it somewhere else.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 16th, 2020, 10:31 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
I actually heard a guy yell that out as Smith was walking off the court in Vegas after cutting down the nets. It made my cringe so hard.

dogie

Post by dogie » March 16th, 2020, 11:21 pm

March 14th, 2020, 3:24 pm
2004AG wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 2:56 pm

Yes but it was vacated.
And their next game after their Final Four appearance was a home loss to the Utah State Aggies!

That was one of the most exciting USU wins I can remember. It was in November 1997 during what turned out to be Eustachy’s last season. The Aggies’ first game that season was in the Preseason NIT at Minnesota.

The Aggies won by double digits and it wasn’t even close throughout the game. That was the final season for Marcus Saxon and Kevin Rice. What made it especially exciting was 1) it was a great way to start the season and 2) it was the Aggies’ first game against a team from a high-major conference since Colorado in 1989 and the first victory since they beat Texas in 1987.

The Gophers’ star that year (and during the previous Final Four season) was junior Quincy Lewis who went on to be drafted by the Jazz in the first round.

I remember listing to Al Lewis call the game on KVNU since it wasn’t on any kind of television and it was just prior to internet streaming. Minnesota had a player by name of Ellison, but Al must have mistakenly called him by my last name six times during the game. I don’t know which of my relatives he was think of about subconsciously.
[edit - the last name mixup was another game that season against NMSU]
These users thanked the author dogie for the post:
USU78

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 17th, 2020, 5:01 am

treesap32 wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 10:31 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
:bangwall:
I actually heard a guy yell that out as Smith was walking off the court in Vegas after cutting down the nets. It made my cringe so hard.
What good do these people feel comes from acting that way?

Chupamedia

LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN

Post by Chupamedia » March 17th, 2020, 7:26 am

[/quote]
Something that gets overlooked, what is nicer 3 million per year in a high tax state and city or 1 million per year in Logan.[/quote]

Utah isn’t a low tax state. It ranks right in the middle. There are plenty of places where a coach from Logan will make much better after tax and real consumer spend dollars. Of course $900k in Logan is good, but even a million in 23 other states if better. $3 million in almost any state is better that $900 here

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » March 17th, 2020, 8:27 am

$3 million is always nicer than $1 million.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Locked Previous topicNext topic