SDSU is a great team

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
NowhereLandAggie

SDSU is a great team

Post by NowhereLandAggie » March 7th, 2020, 6:28 pm

Troll friends aside, they are by no means overrated at all. I expect they will have a chance to do some damage in the tournament. I went to the SDSU game in Logan and they were impressive.

That is what makes this win even sweeter. I didn't know if the team had it in them, so glad to see the fight come out this afternoon. I hope they can make a run of their own, they have a week to prepare.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post (total 9):
USU78FloridaAggie13cdaAgAggieFBObsessionZaggie07aggies22newtonianblueReal Life AggieAGinNEIowa

troutputz
RIP

Re: SDSU is a great team

Post by troutputz » March 7th, 2020, 6:48 pm

This really was a defensive game on both sides. We shot 43% for the game, SDSU shot 34% we shot 37% 3 pointers, SDSU shot 26%. We shot 8 of 10 free throws, SDSU shot 9 of 10. We had 37 rebounds, SDSU had 32 rebounds. Refs let both teams play considering how miniscule the total fouls were!

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » March 7th, 2020, 6:54 pm

Oh they’re the real deal. That’s what makes this win so special. As much as I hate their fan base you can’t deny they’re a top ten team..
These users thanked the author SwaggieAggie for the post (total 2):
cdaAgAggieFBObsession

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 7th, 2020, 8:57 pm

Long, athletic team with two really good guards.

They will be a big problem for teams that haven't faced them this season.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 7th, 2020, 9:00 pm

I like how Flynn quietly goes about his work. Carries himself like a professional. Wetzell too.
Last edited by hipsterdoofus21 on March 8th, 2020, 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 3):
cdaAgSwaggieAggieReal Life Aggie

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » March 7th, 2020, 9:02 pm

They've impressed me each time I've watched them. I thought we gave them our best shot in Viejas on jersey retirement night, and they were able to step up. I wonder if the Mensah kid will be back for the tourney. He'd give them some extra underneath. Tremendous win.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 7th, 2020, 9:03 pm

Wetzell's awesome. I can't believe he was basically nowhere before this season
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
AggieFBObsession

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 8th, 2020, 12:36 am

brownjeans wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 9:03 pm
Seriously. Where is Vanderbilt anyway?

SDSU
Troll

Post by SDSU » March 8th, 2020, 1:13 am

i guess there's something to be happy about if going 1-2 against SDSU meant that 1 win will guarantee an at large bid (8/9 seed).

SDSU was playing for region, nothing else. Unfortunately, they'll get the east region instead of the west region.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 8th, 2020, 1:39 am

SDSU wrote:i guess there's something to be happy about if going 1-2 against SDSU meant that 1 win will guarantee an at large bid (8/9 seed).

SDSU was playing for region, nothing else. Unfortunately, they'll get the east region instead of the west region.
I really think you'll end up close to Sam Diego

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 2):
Zaggie07sneed

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 8th, 2020, 3:01 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 12:36 am
brownjeans wrote:
Seriously. Where is Vanderbilt anyway?
LOL. I was thinking of D2 St Mary's of Texas

kofdog

Post by kofdog » March 8th, 2020, 7:29 am

SDSU wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 1:13 am
i guess there's something to be happy about if going 1-2 against SDSU meant that 1 win will guarantee an at large bid (8/9 seed).

You don’t know the difference between at-large and automatic bid? Just stop already

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 8th, 2020, 7:52 am

SDSU wrote:

Maybe we could let your guys hold the trophy for awhile.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
Al-O-Meter

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 8th, 2020, 9:05 am

SDSU wrote:i guess there's something to be happy about if going 1-2 against SDSU meant that 1 win will guarantee an at large bid (8/9 seed).

No. You were playing for a 1 seed. Now Sam Diego State will be a 2.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 8th, 2020, 9:17 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 7:52 am
SDSU wrote:

Maybe we could let your guys hold the trophy for awhile.
HELL NO we won't! If they want to hold the trophy they should have earned it!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
AggieFBObsessionAggie_in_IdahoReal Life Aggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 8th, 2020, 9:18 am

brownjeans wrote:
We contacted Wetzell about coming here as a grad transfer.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
AggieFBObsessionUSU78Aggie_in_IdahoReal Life Aggie

Al-O-Meter

Post by Al-O-Meter » March 8th, 2020, 9:31 am

dyedblue wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 9:05 am

There was actually discussion on Aztec Mesa even before the game was played that it would be better for the Aztecs if they didn’t win the conference championship. Most dismissed it but it was a thought even before the Aggies and Aztecs took the floor.

Here was the thinking:

The Aztecs were unlikely to leapfrog Gonzaga. Even when the Aztecs had the #1 NET ranking the selection committee put Gonzaga as the #1 seed in the west. This committee loves them some Gonzaga which means if the Aztecs were a #1 seed they’d be playing in the east.

Playing in the east means more travel expenses, start times different than the Aztecs are used to, and less fan support. The Aztec fanbase travels really well to Vegas and SoCal but not so great outside that. In the west, after playing the first games in Sacramento the venue moves to Staples in LA which the Aztecs would make a home game.

Aside from the lower costs and increased fan support, there is also the issue of money. The Aztecs get paid based on how well the conference does, not how well they do. Aztecs basketball stands to make more money with 2 teams in the tourney than if they were going along. Utah State was a bubble team that could go either way. The best way to make sure the Aztecs had 2 teams potentially providing revenue was to lose the championship game.
These users thanked the author Al-O-Meter for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Murkymerk

Post by Murkymerk » March 8th, 2020, 9:38 am

In the post game press conference the players and coach sure seemed disappointed and dejected. They wanted to win the conference championship.
These users thanked the author Murkymerk for the post (total 3):
aggies22sneedReal Life Aggie

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 8th, 2020, 9:48 am

Al-O-Meter wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 9:31 am
dyedblue wrote:

There was actually discussion on Aztec Mesa even before the game was played that it would be better for the Aztecs if they didn’t win the conference championship. Most dismissed it but it was a thought even before the Aggies and Aztecs took the floor.

Here was the thinking:

The Aztecs were unlikely to leapfrog Gonzaga. Even when the Aztecs had the #1 NET ranking the selection committee put Gonzaga as the #1 seed in the west. This committee loves them some Gonzaga which means if the Aztecs were a #1 seed they’d be playing in the east.

Playing in the east means more travel expenses, start times different than the Aztecs are used to, and less fan support. The Aztec fanbase travels really well to Vegas and SoCal but not so great outside that. In the west, after playing the first games in Sacramento the venue moves to Staples in LA which the Aztecs would make a home game.

Aside from the lower costs and increased fan support, there is also the issue of money. The Aztecs get paid based on how well the conference does, not how well they do. Aztecs basketball stands to make more money with 2 teams in the tourney than if they were going along. Utah State was a bubble team that could go either way. The best way to make sure the Aztecs had 2 teams potentially providing revenue was to lose the championship game.
That explains why San Diego State was celebrating more than the Aggies. I thought that was weird.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
sneed

Al-O-Meter

Post by Al-O-Meter » March 8th, 2020, 9:53 am

Murkymerk wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 9:38 am
In the post game press conference the players and coach sure seemed disappointed and dejected. They wanted to win the conference championship.
For sure. That is the way they are wired. No one took a dive. The Aztecs gave it everything they had and on that day Utah State was just better. The Aggies earned that trophy and right to hang a banner, but from the point of view of Aztecs fans, the real season starts a little under 2 weeks from now and the Mountain West is a 2-team conference.
These users thanked the author Al-O-Meter for the post:
Murkymerk

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 8th, 2020, 10:27 am

Al-O-Meter wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 9:53 am
Murkymerk wrote:
For sure. That is the way they are wired. No one took a dive. The Aztecs gave it everything they had and on that day Utah State was just better. The Aggies earned that trophy and right to hang a banner, but from the point of view of Aztecs fans, the real season starts a little under 2 weeks from now and the Mountain West is a 2-team conference.
You speak as though SDSU is a perennial tournament team consistently making deep runs. Not so.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
aggies22

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » March 8th, 2020, 10:45 am

Alert: the troll is trying really hard to conceal the skid marks in his mother’s underwear.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

Al-O-Meter

Post by Al-O-Meter » March 8th, 2020, 11:55 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 10:27 am
Al-O-Meter wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 9:53 am
Murkymerk wrote:
You speak as though SDSU is a perennial tournament team consistently making deep runs. Not so.
Making the NCAA tournament in 8 of the past 11 seasons isn't too shabby.
These users thanked the author Al-O-Meter for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13Real Life Aggie

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » March 8th, 2020, 12:03 pm

There is no way Sam Diego State, or their fans, were content to lose this championship game! These are highly competitive personalities that have worked their entire life to win trophies in big games like this. They played all out, but we played better. Yeah, SDSU has more to play for this season, but this loss will sting in their memory for a long time!

sneed

Post by sneed » March 8th, 2020, 12:08 pm

They are great and deserved to be #5 and I hope they make a deep run and validate our best win ever..... but..... I worry they peaked too soon in the season. They were rolling in Jan / beginning of Feb. lately they have fallen back down to earth a bit. I was shocked how many mid range jumpers Flynn missed. We couldn’t hit an open three to save our lives for a bit there too though.

Awesome game - best I have ever been to outside of the Spectrum.

Let’s hope both teams can get hot for the tournament.
These users thanked the author sneed for the post:
Al-O-Meter

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » March 8th, 2020, 12:35 pm

I honestly think that they could make a DEEP run. We were able to control Mitchell and Flynn, but most teams have not. When they are clicking, they are SO GOOD. I am glad we beat them as that shows we can beat anybody in the country. I think we both have a chance of going on a run in the tourney.

SDSU
Troll

Post by SDSU » March 8th, 2020, 12:53 pm

dyedblue wrote:

SDSU will get the 1 seed, they are #4 in NET ranking

The only argument where sdsu won't get the 1 seed is ALL 3(Dayton, Gonzaga, and Baylor) win their conference tournament. And even then, a 2 seed in the West region is even better LOL. The chances of 3 of the aforementioned teams winning their conf. tournament is extremely slim. Baylor is #5 in NET, which is the most unlikely team i listed that will win their conf. tournament.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 8th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Congrats SDSU on your special season. A repeat of 2nd place in the conference.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
usufan1

SDSU
Troll

Post by SDSU » March 8th, 2020, 12:56 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 12:35 pm
I honestly think that they could make a DEEP run. We were able to control Mitchell and Flynn, but most teams have not. When they are clicking, they are SO GOOD. I am glad we beat them as that shows we can beat anybody in the country. I think we both have a chance of going on a run in the tourney.
have fun with Texas Tech in the 1st round and Kansas in the 2nd round

USU will get the 8/9 seed just like last season

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » March 8th, 2020, 12:58 pm

SDSU wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 12:56 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:

I was complementing your team...

Plus I would honestly rather be a lower seed because with a 1 and 2 seed there are lots of expectations. If you guys lose early, it will be more shocking and embarrassing.

Everybody loves a Cinderella...

SDSU
Troll

Post by SDSU » March 8th, 2020, 12:58 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 12:55 pm
You do realize conf. placements is based on the regular season and not the MWC tournament genius.

Going 1 win and 2 losses and finishing 2nd in the MWC to SDSU is nothing to sneeze at! maybe they can beat Texas Tech in the first round and pull a miracle against Kansas in the 2nd round.

SDSU
Troll

Post by SDSU » March 8th, 2020, 1:01 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 12:58 pm
SDSU wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 12:56 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:

I was complementing your team...

Plus I would honestly rather be a lower seed because with a 1 and 2 seed there are lots of expectations. If you guys lose early, it will be more shocking and embarrassing.

Everybody loves a Cinderella...
nope, just like last season where USU was squarely on the bubble but won the conf. tournament, they will be the 8/9 seed.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 8th, 2020, 1:02 pm

SDSU wrote:
slcagg wrote:
You do realize conf. placements is based on the regular season and not the MWC tournament genius.

Going 1 win and 2 losses and finishing 2nd in the MWC to SDSU is nothing to sneeze at! maybe they can beat Texas Tech in the first round and pull a miracle against Kansas in the 2nd round.
That’s ok we’ll take this.
Attachments
2631BA42-A3EC-4B4C-8EA2-FD9968AD4FFD.jpeg
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 4):
ThunderAggieusufan1Zaggie07Aggie_in_Idaho

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 8th, 2020, 1:04 pm

SDSU wrote:
slcagg wrote:

Nope we are the champions you are second. Guess what the team that wins the field of 64 is the NCAA champions for the year. The top seed in the ncaas isn’t the champion unless they win it. Something your team won’t experience this year in anyway. I guess you won your preseason tournament. That’s pretty cool.

SDSU
Troll

Post by SDSU » March 8th, 2020, 1:30 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 1:02 pm
SDSU wrote:
slcagg wrote:

That’s ok we’ll take this.
yes, for USU standards, winning the MWC tournament is huge. For SDSU that is expected. The same way Gonzaga winning the WCC is expected every season

Being the #1 seed and winning ncaa tournament games is the ultimate expectations for SDSU standards. For USU, simply getting in the NCAA tournament by winning the MWCT is considered a major accomplishment I guess. Our standards are different
Last edited by SDSU on March 8th, 2020, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Locked Previous topicNext topic