Giving up big leads

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SectionBAggie

Giving up big leads

Post by SectionBAggie » March 1st, 2020, 9:22 pm

It seems that this season, more than I remember, has a lot of games where teams give up big leads. One of the early examples was the USU-LSU game. Maybe it is a function of the NCAA following the style of the NBA where such things have been happening for years.

Pretty much every day there seems to be another team collapsing after taking a big lead - many bigger than the 14 or 18 that USU fans are struggling through (justifiably).

I noticed that today SMU took a 50-24 lead over Wichita State with 14:48 left in the second half. (Pulling for SMU to pull it off. :( ) At 3:07, less than 12 minutes later, SMU tied it at 58. A 34-8 run over almost 12 minutes. :shock:

I am at a loss as to how that can happen repeatedly to numerous teams. It's a terrible position to feel that no lead is safe.

hipsterdoofus21

Re: Giving up big leads

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 1st, 2020, 9:32 pm

Three point shots, with little regard for shot clock, make almost any lead unsafe.

troutputz

Post by troutputz » March 1st, 2020, 10:27 pm

Shot clock set at what it is now has made the difference, when it was at 45 seconds team were able to run off more time and they could run a better play to score. There is so many discombobulated plays by teams now you just wonder what the hell are they trying to do. If they push inside there is about N 80% chance the refs call a charging foul. The charging call this year is beyond a joke. Go back to the 60’s and call the foul but if the offensive player makes the basket, allow the basket. By the by, I thought they were supposed to clean up the flopping? I haven’t seen any difference from last year!

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 1st, 2020, 10:57 pm

troutputz wrote:
March 1st, 2020, 10:27 pm
Shot clock set at what it is now has made the difference, when it was at 45 seconds team were able to run off more time and they could run a better play to score. There is so many discombobulated plays by teams now you just wonder what the hell are they trying to do. If they push inside there is about N 80% chance the refs call a charging foul. The charging call this year is beyond a joke. Go back to the 60’s and call the foul but if the offensive player makes the basket, allow the basket. By the by, I thought they were supposed to clean up the flopping? I haven’t seen any difference from last year!
The flopping is worse than ever. Honestly, I have no idea how refs aren't embarrassed when they go back and see some of the horrible acting jobs they bought.

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 2nd, 2020, 6:18 am

aggies22 wrote:
March 1st, 2020, 10:57 pm
troutputz wrote:
March 1st, 2020, 10:27 pm
The flopping is worse than ever. Honestly, I have no idea how refs aren't embarrassed when they go back and see some of the horrible acting jobs they bought.
Agreed, worse than ever. My least favorite is the flop two full steps after the player has passed it out.

Aggiestyle

Post by Aggiestyle » March 2nd, 2020, 8:07 am

Nevada gave up an 11 point lead in the second half against SDSU, thankfully.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » March 2nd, 2020, 4:48 pm

Let's hope this was just a blip, but our losses all look similar

Makes you wonder. The obvious things you guys noted. I look at our team and I think we have 2-3 guys on the court most of the game who can't cover their assignment unless they get help.

What responsibility does Smith have? Does he call TO after that first 3pt shot? We're 14 up. No. The second? the third? I only saw him get pissed once about our defense. The mediots put up "stop the 3" and limit turnovers almost every game as our keys to victory. It's not a secret what our weaknesses are.

I think we overachieved just getting to where we are. Getting beat again by NMSU Thursday? I won't be surprised.

“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

BobWilson
Has thanked: 0

Post by BobWilson » March 3rd, 2020, 8:52 am

Must be something in Logan Springs water - the women did it as well against Wyoming Monday.

gomretat
Has thanked: 0

Post by gomretat » March 3rd, 2020, 9:33 am

Hanging on to big leads has a lot to do with mental toughness

ususports

Post by ususports » March 3rd, 2020, 9:46 am

El Sapo wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 4:48 pm
Getting beat again by NMSU Thursday? I won't be surprised.
When did we get kicked out of the MWC and go back to the WAC? Seems like SJSU would have been the more likely candidate for this to happen.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 3rd, 2020, 1:10 pm

El Sapo wrote:
I will be very surprised. Not that I don't think it'll be a good game, but I think that we'll get them.

Aggiewest

Post by Aggiewest » March 3rd, 2020, 4:11 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 1:10 pm
El Sapo wrote:
I will be very surprised. Not that I don't think it'll be a good game, but I think that we'll get them.
I will be more than surprised if we get beat by NMSU on Thursday. How is it even possible?
These users thanked the author Aggiewest for the post (total 2):
El SapoReal Life Aggie

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » March 4th, 2020, 7:58 am

Last night Penn State went from a 19-point lead to an 8-point loss. The weirdness continues.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » March 4th, 2020, 4:53 pm

Unlikely that will be my last incorrect post.....

New Mexico not NMSU :oops: At least the team I thought I was talking about appears to have SJSU under control and should face us tomorrow. I got that part right. …..If they can hold an 18pt lead

“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » March 6th, 2020, 12:06 am

Nevada gives up a double digit lead in the second half. The weirdness continues.

This one was fun.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic